• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
im having battery issues as well. i cant tell whats draining my battery so, but im pretty sure its google now

I have Google Now and S voice disabled, as well as syncing turned off :\

Edit: I left my phone unplugged overnight, and it's at 65% with only 45 minutes of screen on time.

Is Netflix completely broken for anyone else (since the last update, I guess)? Doesn't work AT ALL for me now, it just says the service cannot be reached or something. Has always worked perfectly on this phone (Nexus 5) before, and it still does on my PS4 and PC.
Working here, just checked.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Working here, just checked.

I was originally on Wi-Fi, didn't work. Tried disconnecting from my Wi-Fi, still didn't work. Connected to my Wi-Fi again, suddenly worked. So... yay? But yeah, something is definitely messed up, because it never did this before. Recently it's been doing it all the time. And there are several reviews on Play complaining about exactly the same thing. But I guess I now a have a workaround that seems to somehow work until they fix it.

-PXG-

It should be required for devs to have links to previous versions of their apps in case things get fucked up. Thank goodness I was able to get the older apk online.

Avixph

I have not seen it posted yet, but the LG G3 is going to have brushed metal back plus a removable battery:
MBj9vvX.png

3CIq1jU.png

NotBacon

It should be required for devs to have links to previous versions of their apps in case things get fucked up. Thank goodness I was able to get the older apk online.

Have you checked out Nova?

Moto G.

Edit: Supposedly Lenovo's new phone, the X+1 or whatever, is going to be a very budget-friendly phone.

You could probably find a Nexus 4 for $200 on eBay or something

You're thinking of the Moto E.
Moto X+1 is going to be the savior phone.

So getting my new phone this Friday. GS5 on Verizon is the way to go right?

The Z2 isn't in the US yet, so it's either the M8 or the GS5 right now. I personally own a GS5 (international version, up from a Nexus 5), as I didn't like what I heard about the M8's camera. IMO, all of the flagships are pretty damn good.

jwk94

I wouldn't recommend GS5. I don't think it's worth the price.

But it's Verizon, so options may be limited anyway.
$100 isn't a good price?

The Z2 isn't in the US yet, so it's either the M8 or the GS5 right now. I personally own a GS5 (international version, up from a Nexus 5), as I didn't like what I heard about the M8's camera. IMO, all of the flagships are pretty damn good.

Awesome, thanks. What's this I hear about a GS5 Prime though?

$100 isn't a good price?

Awesome, thanks. What's this I hear about a GS5 Prime though?

The GS5/M8 prime are rumored bumped up phones to compete with the LG G3 and the iPhone 6. Might be right around the corner if you're willing to wait. Couldn't go wrong with an iPhone unless you're set on android. I personally think the GS5 is a great phone. The screen and camera in particular are a really big step up from the Nexus 5, and touchwiz offers some features that aren't present in stock android. (Private mode, power saving mode, etc). The water resistance is also nice for peace of mind :) one thing I do miss with the Nexus 5 is the simplicity of the design, and it's relative compactness.

Edit: almost forgot. The GS5 has a micro SD card slot and a removable battery, so it's much better for the long term. One thing the Nexus 5 had in it's favor however was Qi wireless charging built in. (You can buy a replacement back with wireless charging for the GS5)

reKon

Banned
The LG G3 is going to kill me because it have a feeling it will be impressive as hell with it's 5.5 inch screen on a device with small bezels, but even then the overall size of the device will be too big. This really sucks because I really think that this will be spec/design king for the flagships. It would be perfect if the G3 Mini had 2GB of ram and the snapdragon 801 instead to a good battery, but I highly doubt that's what we're going to get.

This is why Moto X+1 is our last hope for an actual good sized phone that performs like a beast (I'll laugh though when we find out the the Moto X+1 some sort of accessory)

thenexus6

I've only today tried out voice typing and its really good actually! I was going it via swift key to write text messages and it was getting them right 95% of the time. It doesn't do any punctuation such as when I was writing a question to someone but I am going to start using this more often now!

Toki767

It'd be amazing if the G3 had the 805. Those aren't supposed to be on phones until Fall though I thought. Maybe the G3 isn't coming as soon as we think?

vdlow

It'd be amazing if the G3 had the 805. Those aren't supposed to be on phones until Fall though I thought. Maybe the G3 isn't coming as soon as we think?
LG said it was coming Q2 in their earnings call, IIRC, so it's surely coming before fall.

I'm not that impressed with the GS5's battery life :/ I think I got a bum unit.

Seems like standby drains the battery pretty fast.

Is the HTC UwotM8 available on Verizon?

Yeah I'd just get the GS5, it's hard to beat $100 for a flagship device.

Yes, the M8 is available on Verizon. Also for $100.

They're both really comparable. The main differences are the build materials, the UI and the camera. It really sucks that they kept the exact same camera as the M7, which wasn't great to begin with.

Disable as many Samsung services as you can.

I disabled most of them. Battery manager shows that Android System is using up all the battery life :\ Any idea on why and how I can stop it?

Edit: Maybe it's the palm-swipe gesture thing to capture the screen. I'll try disabling that and seeing what happens.

Edit 2: One nice thing about the GS5 is how fast it charges.

Toki767

How much are those GS5 and M8 Prime supposed to cost? Like $300 on contract ala the Note?

If so that would probably make the G3 at $200 on contract pretty nice.

I'm not that impressed with the GS5's battery life :/ I think I got a bum unit.

Seems like standby drains the battery pretty fast.

Like I said on the last page, your unit is defective. You need to take it back while it's still under warranty. The battery life you are getting in no way reflects the real battery life of a GS5. Not even close.

Fatalah

I still feel the X+1 is going to be much like the Moto X. Come end of summer, Motorola could release a model that matches the styling of the 360 watch.

cjkeats

So, under what circumstances/typical types of usage would it be worth it to get the 3G/4G enabled version of a tablet?

If you have carrier restrictions/a crappy data plan/a phone from 1994, and can't mobile hotspot, sure. I have a LTE iPad, but have literally never used the LTE. My phone has a better data plan, might as well piggy back off it the rare times it leaves the house and I need to use it for something that actually needs data.

Like I said on the last page, your unit is defective. You need to take it back while it's still under warranty. The battery life you are getting in no way reflects the real battery life of a GS5. Not even close.

I bought it off eBay, though. Do I contact the seller or can I go straight to Samsung?

VoxPop

So, under what circumstances/typical types of usage would it be worth it to get the 3G/4G enabled version of a tablet?

Not sure if the deal is still going on but T-Mobile had something where you get the 3G/4G tablets for the price of wifi ones and free data for life..

Articalys

Not sure if the deal is still going on but T-Mobile had something where you get the 3G/4G tablets for the price of wifi ones and free data for life..
Speaking of T-Mobile, are there any sites that give a fair comparison of signal strengths/coverage for the major networks in the U.S.? I know there's no real replacement for being able to try a device out yourself for a while, but still...

Cipherr

I bought it off eBay, though. Do I contact the seller or can I go straight to Samsung?

Oh dear god no...... I'm gonna wish the best for you on this, but man. I dunno. Maybe try Samsung? I doubt you will get any luck with an eBay seller.

Folks gotta stop buying phones on eBay. I will never forget that guy that bought that GS3 on ebay, then after he posted it, others compared it to their own, and due to the lack of a few extremely minor differences, we figured out it was a high class knockoff.

Rand6

Hi guys, I just bought a tablet.
What's the best .cbr reader for Android?

For .pdf, I heard that Moon+Reader is the best one. Is that true?

Mindwipe

Even though the XGELS dev has been great, Google's behaviour in breaking XGELS has just pushed me off the GNL entirely to KK launcher. So good job, Google team, I guess.

Anyone got any recommendations for themes or icon packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom