• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Not even close to the same extent as with software buttons. The little you can do is usually not worthwhile. I'd even guess most ROMs don't even include much, if any hardware button customization.

You can always add software buttons to a phone that doesn't have those with custom roms. However you can't add hardware buttons with customs roms. Ergo phones with hardware buttons are the better option if you're into custom roms.

I'm no longer interested in custom roms and I haven't seen any good use of software button customization so far.

You can always add software buttons to a phone that doesn't have those with custom roms. However you can't add hardware buttons with customs roms. Ergo phones with hardware buttons are the better option if you're into custom roms.

I'm no longer interested in custom roms and I haven't seen any good use of software button customization so far.
This was my next.

Samsung puts the back button on the right because that's where it was on Gingerbread and before. Google moved the back button to the left after Ice Cream Sandwich removed the hard menu button. Samsung is simply doing it the way it used to be, but people who actually used Android before ICS know that Samsung aren't idiots.
Popping in to say Google has been consistent since the Nexus One, your explanation coincides with their attempt at taking a harder stance on device uniformity with Duarte at the helm.

android-comparaison-comparateur-comparatif-google-nexus-one-nexus-s-galaxy-nexus-samsung-htc.jpg

(For the record, I am team hardware after years of extolling the positives of software buttons only to not see any real benefits aside from clean bezels, though 4.4 with the autohide function sort of helps)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maaaaan the Nexus One is still a gorgeous piece of hardware. I want a bigger version of that design with at least a 5" display.

Pretty much the only phone from that era I still consider well designed. Always wanted HTC to get one more crack at a Nexus.

Popping in to say Google has been consistent since the Nexus One, your explanation coincides with their attempt at taking a harder stance on device uniformity with Duarte at the helm.

android-comparaison-comparateur-comparatif-google-nexus-one-nexus-s-galaxy-nexus-samsung-htc.jpg

(For the record, I am team hardware after years of extolling the positives of software buttons only to not see any real benefits aside from clean bezels, though 4.4 with the autohide function sort of helps)
"Google has been consistent."

*images of three different layouts*

they shouldn't have any issues with Android tablets really. what phones do they have?
iPhone 5c but. They don't really use anything that would benefit with another apple device. They use Facebook, read email from yahoo, take pictures, and play poker stars on the PC, which I would put on the tablet. They do newspaper crossword which I would buy a crossword app

NotBacon

iPhone 5c but. They don't really use anything that would benefit with another apple device. They use Facebook, read email from yahoo, take pictures, and play poker stars on the PC, which I would put on the tablet. They do newspaper crossword which I would buy a crossword app

Nuxes 7. Don't really see justification in paying more for a Facebook/email machine. It'll be the same to them. Icons on a screen. You tap the icon that looks like Facebook guess what happens...

I've finally tested Google Now and this shit is incredible. I thought it would take several tries for it to recognize 'OK, Google' but it did it flawlessly. Also, it recognized my questions (e.g. What is the difference between Paris and Tokyo) and answered with a not-so-bad synthetic voice. Sure, I haven't tried complex queries but this technology is fascinating.

Edit: Holy shit, 'OK, Google, go to neogaf.com' (in French) works!

Nuxes 7. Don't really see justification in paying more for a Facebook/email machine. It'll be the same to them. Icons on a screen. You tap the icon that looks like Facebook guess what happens...
What's with the RIP nexus jokes on the front page? Also nexus doesn't have a storage slot but I guess I agree with what someone else said my parents wouldn't need/use the storage

NotBacon

I've finally tested Google Now and this shit is incredible. I thought it would take several tries for it to recognize 'OK, Google' but it did it flawlessly. Also, it recognized my questions (e.g. What is the difference between Paris and Tokyo) and answered with a not-so-bad synthetic voice. Sure, I haven't tried complex queries but this technology is fascinating.

Edit: Holy shit, 'OK, Google, go to neogaf.com' (in French) works!

Yep, welcome to the googy master race.

What's with the RIP nexus jokes on the front page? Also nexus doesn't have a storage slot but I guess I agree with what someone else said my parents wouldn't need/use the storage

Google is abandoning the Nexus name for 'Android Silver' devices. Most of the implications are still unknown.

I've finally tested Google Now and this shit is incredible.

I've had a really favorable experience with it hearing me in noisy environments too, background noise doesn't seem to hamper it on my HTC M8, and it seems to pick my voice out when multiple people are talking around me in close proximity.

terrier

True. But stock android doesn't let you do that :\

that is a pitty, despite being really nice, stock android lacks options, those options usually can be found on touchwiz, lg ui etc... or 3rd party launchers though.

AS for the 'wasted space' for software buttons, i really do not find it as an issue, at least for my personal use. When reading a web page, i usually scroll up before i reach the bottom, so losing a line of text ain't an issue at all, and i also can't think of other apps that really benefit from a full screen experience, yes 0.2 inches more is prpobably better but not a big deal (unless you are using and xperia z1 compact maybe)

Obviously software buttons should mean thin thin bezel, and that is not always happening . Nexus 5 does it right, sony doesn't , as htc.

snacknuts

we all knew her
what would be the point of even using muzei then?

It's still a nice app. I don't have the double-tap to focus thing disabled, but I do have double-tap set up as a gesture in Nova Launcher to launch my camera app and that functionality overrides Muzei's. I can open the app directly if I want to look at the image, or just look at it when I get the notification that the wallpaper has been updated.

leng jai

It's still a nice app. I don't have the double-tap to focus thing disabled, but I do have double-tap set up as a gesture in Nova Launcher to launch my camera app and that functionality overrides Muzei's. I can open the app directly if I want to look at the image, or just look at it when I get the notification that the wallpaper has been updated.

The double tap to focus feature is the thing I want to disable, it conflicts with my Nova gestures (which doesn't seem to override it on my setup).

Doopliss

Not quite. The height of the nav bar on the Nexus 5 is 72px due to the way Android scales. The screen is 1080px wide.
72 * 1080 = 77,760 pixels used by the nav bar.

The Nexus 5 has 2,073,600 total pixels (1080 * 1920).
77,760 / 2,073,600 = 3.75% of the screen is used by the nav bar
It's 48 density-independent pixels tall, so 144 real pixels on the Nexus 5 which uses three times the baseline pixel density.

yeah....that still doesn't make much sense to me lol.

VoxPop

Just redeemed my MLB At Bat, thanks!

Feels like since Samsung and HTC both released their phones, not a lot of big mobile news on the horizon. Waiting on some reviews of the 1+1 and the iPhone 6 announcement. First time I've had a phone longer than 6 months in a while.

-PXG-

Holy fucking shiiiiiiit. God damnit!!!!!!

The latest update to Apex unifies all icon sizing options. It's totally fucked. My home screen icons were too big and there is no way to fix them. I had to hunt down the previous version's apk to fix it.

You need to hop on that Nova Prime train, homie.

-------

On another note, Google needs to add the one finger zoom to all their apps that allow you to zoom stuff. It's so stupid to me that they haven't done that. Hell, they need to just add it to AOSP proper, unless they have, which means Google is just dumb for not using it more.

NotBacon

Holy fucking shiiiiiiit. God damnit!!!!!!

The latest update to Apex unifies all icon sizing options. It's totally fucked. My home screen icons were too big and there is no way to fix them. I had to hunt down the previous version's apk to fix it.

Not really sure what the problem is, but I bet Nova could fix it...

jwk94

Android users, I need some help. I saw that offer Verizon is doing for B2G1 on the Galaxy S5 and the fact that they're only $100 so I'm going to upgrade soon. My question is what's the best price for an SD card? I'm seeing really cheap prices for 128GB SD card on eBay but I'm not sure if those are real.

Android users, I need some help. I saw that offer Verizon is doing for B2G1 on the Galaxy S5 and the fact that they're only $100 so I'm going to upgrade soon. My question is what's the best price for an SD card? I'm seeing really cheap prices for 128GB SD card on eBay but I'm not sure if those are real.

wait for an Amazon sale.

DO NOT BUY THEM ON EBAY!

Every time I try to send an SMS I get an "Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped" message and the messages don't actually get sent. I believe this started happening after updating my G2 to KitKat, it was a few weeks ago but I hadn't really noticed until now 'cause I barely use texts. I tried to switch to hangouts but it crashes too after trying to send an SMS.

Any tips?

Does anyone else have a GS5? I'm barely getting 8 hours before it hits 25%, and that's only with 1 hour or so of screen on time at 50% brightness and with power saving mode on.

Does anyone else have a GS5? I'm barely getting 8 hours before it hits 25%, and that's only with 1 hour or so of screen on time at 50% brightness and with power saving mode on.

I have a GS5. This all sounds very wrong. There must be an issue with your particular phone or battery. By comparison its 11:30pm locally, and i'm at 40%, with automatic brightness. I unplugged my phone 11hrs 11 minutes ago. I'd say i've had more than an hour of screen on time and no power saver anything.

*edit* Ok I just checked, exact screen on time is 3h 16m 4s. This phone has the best battery life of any phone i've had yet. My last was HTC One m7.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

im having battery issues as well. i cant tell whats draining my battery so, but im pretty sure its google now

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is Netflix completely broken for anyone else (since the last update, I guess)? Doesn't work AT ALL for me now, it just says the service cannot be reached or something. Has always worked perfectly on this phone (Nexus 5) before, and it still does on my PS4 and PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom