• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Meh, I just put it on my Nexus 7 yesterday, and some of the apps I use are still dicked up. Netflix still won't chromecast, it just crashes, Marvel Unlimited also crashes when it tries to open a comic. Google really needs to get on these App devs to update there apps so they won't run like shit on L.

Lolwut.

I don't need to do anything. Android L isn't complete. No one has used a final version. When it's stable and released my apps should run just fine...

Furyous

I finally got my hands on an LG G3 by visting Verizon.

10 minute impressions:

The white issue isn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. However, how do I fix this? I need the whites to look warmer. Can someone explain to me how to access the accessibility settings to chamge this? Apple spoiled me with a their ease of use.

It's easily the best phone I've ever used and I used to HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE on Android especially after my friend used NFC as talking point against the iphone in 2011. HOW COME YOU ALL KEPT THIS TO YOURSELVES? The jump from ICs onward brought an influx of strong improvements to the OS.

I can use this device one handed although it takes some getting used to.

I'm remapping the buttons to mimic my iphone because I'm lazy.

Dat bezel is easily the coolest shit ever. It feels like it's all screen in my hands. I have small hands by the way.

The metallic black version is too carrier branded for my taste.

The internet speeds are fast but I'm concerned about how this device holds up over three years.

I keep going back and forth between this and the G3 LTE-A. It's almost equal cost if I buy this off contract from a carrier versus buying the LTE-A off Amazon. The LTE-A is 795 whereas the G3 off contract is $700. It comes to a $95 difference for 5 percent extra performance but with an SOC that can fully push those pixels without trouble. Plus, the G3 LTE-A is compatible with T-Mobile/ATT 3G and LTE.

The speaker isn't as bad as all 50 (that's right I'm a nerd) reviews I watched made it put to be. It's slightly below (literally by a score of 5-7) the universally regarded best speaker HTC M8.

Is it me or does the skin hurt the device's appeal? I wanted to install the Google Now launcher so bad to test out the device. At least let me change the colors on the skin.

I feel like a boss holding this device. This is what a smartphone should feel like. I pay all this money and I want to feel like I have a fucking light saber in my hands.

That's it for impressions.

----

Apple robbed us of Anand Shimpi. I'M MAD. What happens to Anandtech? Where am I going to go for the extensive universally applauded reviews?

DarkFlow

Banned
Lolwut.

I don't need to do anything. Android L isn't complete. No one has used a final version. When it's stable and released my apps should run just fine...
The whole point of this Dev preview is so app makers are ready to go when it gets pushed out. Not holding there dicks trying to fix shit after the fact.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The whole point of this Dev preview is so app makers are ready to go when it gets pushed out. Not holding there dicks trying to fix shit after the fact.

Always fucking happens.

Fucking HBO GO is usually like 3 months after the fact despite having a fair advance warning the new version of Android is coming.

Annoys the shit out of me.

Dead

well not really...yet
Is the Nvidia Shield tablet actually out officially or not?

Its only in stock thru third parties on amazon at a gouged price which seems odd

Anyone figured out how to get audio working for screen mirroring Chromecast using N5 running on L dev preview? I get choppy audio via mirroring, youtube works fine.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone figured out how to get audio working for screen mirroring Chromecast using N5 running on L dev preview? I get choppy audio via mirroring, youtube works fine.
YouTube just punts the video url to chrome cast. Mirroring requires the phone to do work. That might explain it.

NotBacon

No, it's to give us time to implement L specific APIs if we wish. There is nothing necessary to do to make apps compatible with L. Any stability issues you are having are due to L preview, not the apps.

No, it's to give us time to implement L specific APIs if we wish. There is nothing necessary to do to make apps compatible with L. Any stability issues you are having are due to L preview, not the apps.

Then why got several apps updated to fix issues with L?

DarkFlow

Banned
You should probably let Google know that then.

“[T]he preview release is primarily for developers to be able to test their apps and get them ready for the L launch. It is the first time we’ve had a preview release and it will mean less chance of issues with apps in the Play Store at launch and more apps ready to take advantage of the new features,” he added.

http://bgr.com/2014/07/21/android-l-developer-preview-updates/

Then why got several apps updated to fix issues with L?
They don't count.

hitsugi

It's gonna be between the Z3/Z3c and iPhone 6 for me.. probably going to have to wait out the releases to see proper comparisons.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I have a Razr HD and it keeps on asking me to update to KitKat. I heard the update is actual shit so how do I make it stop asking me to update?

Fox318

Anyone use wireless charging? I'm thinking of investing in it for my g3 but I just have a few questions:

My current case has a metal kickstand like this:
0onkZKb.jpg

Will that cause any problems with charging?

If not I'm thinking of picking up the sticker package that a few sites are selling to replace the NFC and add QI charging.

Is there a preferable charger out there?

Jzero

I have a Razr HD and it keeps on asking me to update to KitKat. I heard the update is actual shit so how do I make it stop asking me to update?

KitKat is not shit.

Anyone use wireless charging? I'm thinking of investing in it for my g3 but I just have a few questions:

My current case has a metal kickstand like this:

Will that cause any problems with charging?

If not I'm thinking of picking up the sticker package that a few sites are selling to replace the NFC and add QI charging.

Is there a preferable charger out there?

I had that case and i was still able to charge it wirelessly. The case kinda sucked though since the back started to peel away.

Fox318

KitKat is not shit.

I had that case and i was still able to charge it wirelessly. The case kinda sucked though since the back started to peel away.

You mean the rubber?

I bought the case more out of paranoia since I managed to keep my unlimited plan. Hopefully there will be better options out soon for the g3.

DarkFlow

Banned
facepalm.jpg

You obviously know what you're talking about. I'm sorry. I mean, there's an ambiguous sentence RIGHT THERE on a tech news site. How could I have been so stupid...

That's from SOMEONE AT GOOGLE. God damn dude, drop the snark ass remarks. There's nothing ambiguous about, we released this so people can make sure there apps work with L.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Isn't L art runtime by default? Can you even use dalvik on L?

NotBacon

That's from SOMEONE AT GOOGLE. God damn dude, drop the snark ass remarks. There's nothing ambiguous about, we released this so people can make sure there apps work with L.

Sensitive much?
I can assure you apps don't need to be updated to be compatible with L. Unless you're being really hacky and relying on something dalvik-specific.

Isn't L art runtime by default? Can you even use dalvik on L?

L doesn't have dalvik.

That's a horrible idea to ignore that update. It will breath a ton of life into that phone. I would highly recommend doing a factory reset after since you are going from a moto skin with 4.1 all the way to 4.4

Drifters

Anyone post the story with the HTC Nexus getting a smart cover with keyboard and mouse just like the surface? I'm on mobile but looks interesting.

minx

I'm looking to buy a 10 inch tablet that will be used 80 percent of the time to watch movies, Netflix, YouTube, etc. Other 20 percent for Web and games. I feel like screen size and resolution are most important for these things. This also eliminates the iPad with the 4:3 screen. Same with nexus 8/9. I'm looking at a refurbished Galaxy Pro 10.1 for $329. I can also get a brand new Asus TF701T for $280. I have heard about quality issues with those though. I have a Galaxy S5 so I am familiar and comfortable with touchwiz.

I have also considered a Kindle Fire Hdx 8.9 as being able to download movies and shows and watch them off wifi would be amazing. However I have heard their app store is limiting. I'm assuming they still would have Netflix, HBO Go, YouTube?

Also I read of an upcoming conference in Europe are their any expected important tablets announced there?

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm looking to buy a 10 inch tablet that will be used 80 percent of the time to watch movies, Netflix, YouTube, etc. Other 20 percent for Web and games. I feel like screen size and resolution are most important for these things. This also eliminates the iPad with the 4:3 screen. Same with nexus 8/9. I'm looking at a refurbished Galaxy Pro 10.1 for $329. I can also get a brand new Asus TF701T for $280. I have heard about quality issues with those though. I have a Galaxy S5 so I am familiar and comfortable with touchwiz.

I have also considered a Kindle Fire Hdx 8.9 as being able to download movies and shows and watch them off wifi would be amazing. However I have heard their app store is limiting. I'm assuming they still would have Netflix, HBO Go, YouTube?

Also I read of an upcoming conference in Europe are their any expected important tablets announced there?
I have the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, and so far have found it to be the best Tablet when it comes to media consumption. The immediate availability of all Amazon content is fantastic, loads amazingly fast and looks terrific thanks to the beautiful display, and yeah it has Netflix, HBO GO, hulu etc. It doesn't have the official youtube app, but the alternative ones are good enough. The web browser is perfectly fine, and although it won't have every game on the android store, most of the main stuff is there.

Battery life is also very good. Bear in mind it won't have any official google app.

Im sure someone will recommend you a Galaxy Tab S, but it is a piece of shit in terms of build quality and performance. I went through 3, each having a problem of their own and it lags and stutters even when switching between your home pages.

bedlamite

Just picked up a HP 7 Slate Extreme for something like US$150 and I've been quite pleased with the purchase. Excellent hardware for the price and Tegra 4 is quite the beast. Quite a marked difference from the 3 which was slow as shit.

I was looking for a cheapie Android tablet to tide me over till the new iPad mini release and the Internet is just awash with Nexus recommendations. It got a little tiresome to read, tbh. The Slate's got a great CPU, good build quality and a display that isn't half bad, all for half the cost of a Nexus.

edit: This post wasn't made in relation to minx88's query btw

Anyone post the story with the HTC Nexus getting a smart cover with keyboard and mouse just like the surface? I'm on mobile but looks interesting.

except, according to the story, it doesn't have a touchpad (just a keyboard), doesn't establish a direct connection to the tablet (uses BT and has its own 450mAh battery), charges separately via its own charge port, and just plain doesn't work like a Surface keyboard.

and how does this thing even work? do you have to remove the case and spin/flip the tablet then reattach the case to reorient it to have the keyboard showing?

Just picked up a HP 7 Slate Extreme for something like US$150 and I've been quite pleased with the purchase. Excellent hardware for the price and Tegra 4 is quite the beast. Quite a marked difference from the 3 which was slow as shit.

I was looking for a cheapie Android tablet to tide me over till the new iPad mini release and the Internet is just awash with Nexus recommendations. It got a little tiresome to read, tbh. The Slate's got a great CPU, good build quality and a display that isn't half bad, all for half the cost of a Nexus.

edit: This post wasn't made in relation to minx88's query btw
... nah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom