• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's pretty shitty. Yeah it's the messenger because I send the same picture with my Windows Phone and it went fine.

Thanks for the help.

It's not shitty because hangouts is the new messenger and it is vastly superior.

Manufacturers really need to stop shipping phones with the asop messenger app.

HouseOfBalloons

Neo Member
Closed source sucks, but the proc doesn't. Read up on the actual benchmarks vs just glossing over the media tech name.

To me, benchmarks don't mean anything man. There's a reason why no manufacturers in the US use MediaTek procs.for anything but entry level phones. Also, support will be ass if something goes wrong with your phone. I'm sure that is slowly changing, but still would not recommend.

It's not shitty because hangouts is the new messenger and it is vastly superior.

Manufacturers really need to stop shipping phones with the asop messenger app.
Don't you have to sign up to use Hangout and use Google+, because if you do why would that be superior. My family and friends who is not using Google will never sign up for it.

terrier

Don't you have to sign up to use Hangout and use Google+, because if you do why would that be superior. My family and friends who is not using Google will never sign up for it.

it is not necessary to be on G+ to use hangouts but you have to if you want to use profile picture and send pics and such.
Google need to stop linking everything to G+, it is useless, they lost that ship. Allow use of hangouts, photos and other apps without G+ or at least not have to have it installed like photos.
There was a rumour that photos app will be standalone in the future and won't need G+ to work.
Not sure about hangouts though, does not need G+ to work but you have to be on G+ to unlock all its possibilities

kharma45

I wish I knew what was wrong with my OnePlus One, I've never had this brilliant battery life it's famed for. Took my phone off the charger at 5pm when I left work, woke up this morning and it was dead

nEk2eOV.png

NZh4fUE.png

NotBacon

Moto X+1, Moto G, Moto 360, Moto S, Nexus X, Droid line update, Moto earpiece... damn they're busy.

It also works as just an SMS/MMS app. When you text someone else who has hangouts it will auto adjust the conversation to a google hangout. It's really much better than most stock messenger apps...

Emwitus

Hey guys. Relatively new to android. Bought an s4 active ,( worst purchase ever). , unlocked so.I'm stuck on 4.3. How can I make it like a nexus? I.e stock android updated kitkat and two, will I lose my camera capabilities when I do. Thanks gaf.

Hey guys. Relatively new to android. Bought an s4 active ,( worst purchase ever). , unlocked so.I'm stuck on 4.3. How can I make it like a nexus? I.e stock android updated kitkat and two, will I lose my camera capabilities when I do. Thanks gaf.

Sell your S4. Use the money to buy a Nexus 5. Job done.

Or root and install a custom ROM. No idea what's available for the S4, maybe Cyanogen Mod or Paranoid Android?

Hasney

I've only tried Echoe Rom for the S4, but I haven't found a reason to switch from it. Get the Lite version and you can kill TouchWiz.

I managed a mighty 1h30m of SOT too.

Is there a way to see what processes killed it?
There was a bug in the last update that cause the battery drain. There should be update the fix it. Are you on Kit-kat? My battery is not as good as when I first got the phone but I never have issue with the Kit-kat. I can go all day and still left with about 44%. Even at PAX I still have 25% of battery at the end of the day. My Lumia usually require a charge by the afternoon of PAX day. The battery on the OnePlus is usually pretty impressive.

Move over G Watch, G Watch R, Moto 360, Smartwatch 2, Galaxy Gear, Galaxy Gear 2, Galaxy Gear 2 Neo, Galaxy Gear S, Galaxy Gear Fit.

Here's the new contender for the best smartwatch.

Asus ZenWatch!

4kcS1Lm.jpg

Boom!

kharma45

There was a bug in the last update that cause the battery drain. There should be update the fix it. Are you on Kit-kat? My battery is not as good as when I first got the phone but I never have issue with the Kit-kat. I can go all day and still left with about 44%. Even at PAX I still have 25% of battery at the end of the day. My Lumia usually require a charge by the afternoon of PAX day. The battery on the OnePlus is usually pretty impressive.

Was it not resolved with 33R, or supposed to have been?

I'm on KitKat yeah.

I've honestly never had that great battery life with this phone (I'd usually comfortably get through 24 hours, maybe 36 at a push) but it's never killed itself this fast before. Can't see what's doing it.

Hasney

I'm on KitKat yeah.

I've honestly never had that great battery life with this phone (I'd usually comfortably get through 24 hours, maybe 36 at a push) but it's never killed itself this fast before. Can't see what's doing it.

Well with those battery stats, I think we can say it is software related. Have you got many widgets on your homescreen? Download Wakelock Detector from the Play store and it should tell you what keeps running.

kharma45

Well with those battery stats, I think we can say it is software related. Have you got many widgets on your homescreen? Download Wakelock Detector from the Play store and it should tell you what keeps running.

I've got Dashclock and that's it.

Cheers, I'll have a look at that now.

Edit - That app is no good and it needs root access, and I'm not rooting this phone. Need to use Good and it won't work with root.

You may have to but they don't. Its an sms/mms app too. Everyone you message does not need to be on hangouts. The experience is just better when they are.

Regardless sending sms/mms with hangouts is much better that the old messenger app.

Edit: Notice someone else already mentioned this. Oops

it is not necessary to be on G+ to use hangouts but you have to if you want to use profile picture and send pics and such.
Google need to stop linking everything to G+, it is useless, they lost that ship. Allow use of hangouts, photos and other apps without G+ or at least not have to have it installed like photos.
There was a rumour that photos app will be standalone in the future and won't need G+ to work.
Not sure about hangouts though, does not need G+ to work but you have to be on G+ to unlock all its possibilities

Hangouts for business has already made the change to not require google+. Hopefully the consumer version is next

Android System more than screen? Yowzer. Something is wrong there.

Moto X+1, Moto G, Moto 360, Moto S, Nexus X, Droid line update, Moto earpiece... damn they're busy.

It also works as just an SMS/MMS app. When you text someone else who has hangouts it will auto adjust the conversation to a google hangout. It's really much better than most stock messenger apps...

I switch and it seems to fix the image problem. I just have to get adjust to the UI but so far I really like it. Thanks to all that suggest Hangout. I don't understand why this just doesn't replaced the messenger app. Yes I know choices etc but keeping outdated app just seems counterintuitive.

I'm on KitKat yeah.

There was a small patch after Kitkat to fix drain issue (which I never experienced). The battery was slightly worst since it used to hit 67% after 12 hours day, and the small patch didn't seems to return it to the godly as it was. I heard some phone still have drain problem even after the patch.

They are waiting for the next patch to be approved so hopefully that will fix all the issue and gave back the great battery life. For comparison my brother Galaxy S5 was near dead by the end of the day and he had it on the super saver mode. My niece on iPhone 5 it was dead by mid day at PAX.

I switch and it seems to fix the image problem. I just have to get adjust to the UI but so far I really like it. Thanks to all that suggest Hangout. I don't understand why this just doesn't replaced the messenger app. Yes I know choices etc but keeping outdated app just seems counterintuitive.

Yeah its completey stupid the opo and the moto x+1 still have it. Google stopped using it in the Nexus 5.

So apparently Sammy have figured out how to make premium feeling phones?

And guess what? They can do it without sacrificing SD cards, removable backs and weight! So those strawman excuses can now be relegated to the dustbin where they always belonged. I just wish they'd figured it out sooner.

Note 4 looks nice. Really nice. Some nice software upgrades too, I wonder if they ditched the gimmicks like smart scroll? Definitely a long overdue step in the right direction from Samsung.

VR headset is nonsense though and the Gear S is way too big and ugly.

My phone was stolen recently, and I have been using an old crap flip phone waiting patiently for the next lineup of smart phones... the new Note looks freaking brilliant I cannot wait.

rrvv

Z3 Compact actually looks better than the regular Z3 IMO.

yep. Honestly I really hope one of silver project will be "compact" size. I tried both Nexus 4 & 5. Nexus 4 size is simply fit for me.

I really dont like that they make Nexus 6 instead refreshing Nexus 4 :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom