• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarus

After this IFA, i think i will keep my nexus5 as main phone for a while, note 4 looks nice, but i want to see how does 805 perform in real life (if sony not using it dor z3 was right or wrong). z3 too, but not sure, waterproof is tempting but those bezels.....
let's see what moto has to offer and nexus 6, but with android L around the corner i can only see my n5 haveing at least 6-12 months of healthy life ahead so i can wait for price drops or 64bit smartphones to hit the market.
It's alright to own a phone for longer than a year guys.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
The event for Motorola is in Chicago

They do a global launch, the event in Brazil was supposed to have the next X, G, the 360 and some headphones, and the leaks about the new G are from Brazil so...

reKon

Banned
They do a global launch, the event in Brazil was supposed to have the next X, G, the 360 and some headphones, and the leaks about the new G are from Brazil so...

Press invites for the event have been sent out a month ago or so. It's taking place in the same building as their US office in Chicago , which is a few blocks from where I work. I did not see any sites mention a global launch. They all got invites for the Chicago event.

Fox318

Verge has an article up on the LG G Watch R

nYGt8Nk.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/4/6105017/this-is-the-lg-g-watch-r

Looks really nice. Might go with this and not the Moto 360. I'm mroe of an analog watch guy anyway so I doubt I will have to ever worry about the minute indicators.

Maiar_m

To me, that's still not 'it'. The turned-on display clashes a lot in terms of style and, I don't know, mood? with the metallic bezel and minutes indicator. It's not an ugly smartwatch but it's not a watch I would wear either. I'm still going for the 360 because it's a screen, a round face period. There will be no clashing between trying (and failing) to make it a watch with watch-like designs and the reality of it being a screen strapped to your wrist. It's however a good start and a good idea, but it's not what I think I'd want to wear.

Fox318

Looks really nice. Might go with this and not the Moto 360. I'm mroe of an analog watch guy anyway so I doubt I will have to ever worry about the minute indicators.

It may be expensive but then again I was one of the idiots who bought a Moto Xoom WiFi tablet at launch for 600+

Yeah, I'd definitely take the 360 over the G Watch R now that I've seen real life pictures. That bezel is huge, though I understand why, but still. Plus that screen is tiny. It's still a good looking watch but, it looked much better in the renders.

Yeah, I'd definitely take the 360 over the G Watch R now that I've seen real life pictures. That bezel is huge, though I understand why, but still. Plus that screen is tiny. It's still a good looking watch but, it looked much better in the renders.

Really? I think it looks better in photos. I was debating between the 2 before, but now I'm sold on this. It looks like a real watch.

In other news the new Desire by HTC looks like a 5C. Seriously HTC?

Xperia Z3 on TWO whole carriers in the US?!

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/04/report-sony-xperia-z3-headed-to-verizon-as-xperia-z3v/

Really? I think it looks better in photos. I was debating between the 2 before, but now I'm sold on this. It looks like a real watch.

In other news the new Desire by HTC looks like a 5C. Seriously HTC?
It looks good, and like a real watch. I'm not disputing that, but that bezel/ring around the display didn't look as bad/huge in the renders.

And didn't the 5c look like other phones when it came out?

People give Motorola shit for the cut-off display, because they didn't want a bezel and had to put the sensors somewhere. The G Watch R has a huge bezel and yet it doesn't have an ambient sensor. You have to adjust the display brightness manually. What the hell, LG.

SimleuqiR

People give Motorola shit for the cut-off display, because they didn't want a bezel and had to put the sensors somewhere. The G Watch R has a huge bezel and yet it doesn't have an ambient sensor. You have to adjust the display brightness manually. What the hell, LG.

I don't mind the 270 in the 360.

SimleuqiR

You have to adjust the brightness manually? I want to try it myself but I feel like that would eliminate it from personal consideration.

That alone is reason enough not to get it.

I really want to see what Apple has in store. I feel like they might be one or two generations away from what we have seen out of the Android OEMs so far.

kagete

I love analog watches and so far the only revealed smartwatch that smoothly sweeps the second hand is the Asus Zen watch. I've looked at all the video of the 360 and the others and so far they all tick per second. I know this is slightly irrational (like paying hundreds or thousands for mechanical watches is) but emulating a mechanical, non-quartz watch is my #1 want in a smartwatch, with any other functionality a small side-bonus.

Toki767

Any advantages of the Edge go away once you use your left hand.That and the Edge is too gigantic to even use one-handed.

Looks like today is just a private event for the media and tomorrow will be the public launch for Moto's new stuff.
Bummer :/
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12fyrxbtwmedlev523dw5jr5kuzf5yhz04
They could have communicated this better.
Looks like they're just carrying on the tried and true Google tradition of unclear messaging.

Edit:
oooh... I know this game. Let me try.

"Why even have a wrist watch, can't you just look up at the sun/night sky and tell what time it is?"

Too much?
I like this one.

"Why use a map when you can just let the stars be your guide?"

Talon

Guess when Motorola went from 17,000 employees in 2012 to 3,500 employees earlier this year, they laid off the entire comms. department.

Blackhead

Redarse
Android Police:
on the side is a dial (like a real watch) which acts as a power button. If you turn the dial nothing happens, but a long press will conveniently send you to the watch's settings menu.
qxzrno8.gif

solarus

Give me a well priced moto x+1 with great battery life and launches this month in the UK and I'll be happy. 32gb as the base model or it better have micro SD support if 16gb is the base model, I think you could only get a 16gb moto x when it launched here and it had no micro SD slot :/

SGcb.png

TGcb.png

SoundCloud app could still use some work since that's just the now playing portion of it. But it works a little like google play music now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom