• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestad

Banned
Best apps you guys recommend for a LG G3? I've had this phone for a week and I fucking love it.

Also what are some good 3D games to test this bad boy?

NotBacon

Someone remind me why we want 1440p screens on our phones for reasons other than VR
Here's a quote from arstechnica's hands on with the note 4:
"The screen here is supposed to be the big difference, moving from 1920×1080 on the Note 3 to 2560×1440 on the Note 4. Both devices are 5.7 inches, so we're moving from 386 PPI to a whopping 515 PPI.

Even side by side, it's hard to see a difference between the Note 3 and Note 4 screens, and in terms of practical use for a smartphone, these absurdly high PPIs don't do anything for the end user. The last time we saw a device with such a high pixel density was the LG G3, and there the screen actually hurt the device more than helped it—it provided little tangible benefit and only served to drain the battery faster."

Common sense? GTFO

freshair

The Alcatel smartwatch has both a bezel and the moto 360 thing at the bottom. Just in case you wanted both.

Engadget said:
Unlike many of the other smartwatches that have been launched this week, Alcatel's doesn't run Android Wear

12.gif

Furyous

Someone remind me why we want 1440p screens on our phones for reasons other than VR
Here's a quote from arstechnica's hands on with the note 4:
"The screen here is supposed to be the big difference, moving from 1920×1080 on the Note 3 to 2560×1440 on the Note 4. Both devices are 5.7 inches, so we're moving from 386 PPI to a whopping 515 PPI.

Even side by side, it's hard to see a difference between the Note 3 and Note 4 screens, and in terms of practical use for a smartphone, these absurdly high PPIs don't do anything for the end user. The last time we saw a device with such a high pixel density was the LG G3, and there the screen actually hurt the device more than helped it—it provided little tangible benefit and only served to drain the battery faster."

I want 1440p because it extends the longevity of a smartphone. In two years, the Note 4 edge should hold up to 2016 flagships based on the fact that there's nowhere else to go as far as resolution increase.

I want a 1440p smartphone as my first Android device because I want to have the best tech available. I've been jealous for years of you Android smartphone owners, your fucking 1080p screens, and 3 GB of RAM. I want a phone with an octa processor too dammit.
I'll never need all 8 cores but I paid so much for the phone that it better have multiple cores.

My answer to your question:

We need it now so it becomes the standard later. My notebook is "capable" of 4K so my phone better have a 2.5K screen. 1080p is cool but this is 2014. 2.5K should be the standard resolution next year but most people can't spend $600 every year.

Does the LCD/SAMOLED decision come down to device logevity (LCD) vs dem colors (SAMOLED)?

Outside of the Samsung note tablets I feel like Windows surface had become a better option
Yeah. If money wasn't an issue, I'd be all over a Surface Pro. I still want an Android tablet though, as I prefer the interface. Hell, I want an iPad too, for the apps (mainly games) that never come to other platforms, but owning 3 tablets seems ridiculous.

NotBacon

I want 1440p because it extends the longevity of a smartphone. In two years, the Note 4 edge should hold up to 2016 flagships based on the fact that there's nowhere else to go as far as resolution increase.

I want a 1440p smartphone as my first Android device because I want to have the best tech available. I've been jealous for years of you Android smartphone owners, your fucking 1080p screens, and 3 GB of RAM. I want a phone with an octa processor too dammit.
I'll never need all 8 cores but I paid so much for the phone that it better have multiple cores.

We need it now so it becomes the standard later. My notebook is "capable" of 4K so my phone better have a 2.5K screen. 1080p is cool but this is 2014. 2.5K should be the standard resolution next year but most people can't spend $600 every year.

Does the LCD/SAMOLED decision come down to device logevity (LCD) vs dem colors (SAMOLED)?

Lolwut

SimleuqiR

Some Brazilian site posted this video on Youtube and took it down shortly after. You can see the X+1 in the beginning and a few new things from the 360, including the heart rate app.

http://www.vidup.de/v/M2WK9/

IFZXMkx.png

and new watch face

bo8pdvO.jpg

Pricing seems to be $250 from BB employees and they have the stock. Release date is either tomorrow or the 7th for Sunday.

Gotta say, that screen looks so good it looks fake. Imagine what iPhone has in store.

Toki767

So I'm guessing the G3 Prime for the west isn't a thing after all? Haven't really heard much from LG during IFA aside from the watch.

Faceless , you are too predictable. I knew 2 years ago you were going to pick Note 4. Have you consider the Oppo Find 7? The US version on their website is $500 but you can get it for $450 if you have an .edu email. Join the superior GSM/LTE master race and dump the ghetto carrier that is Sprint.

The Find 7 is way better than the One plus one.

see, there are a few things stopping that.

#1 is AT&T and T-Mobile coverage here sucks. now, i'll give you that T-Mobile's LTE in the middle of town is blazoing fast, but that shit drops to EDGE faster than you can find a second Waffle House. AT&T is actually worse.

#2 i'm on SERO Premium so my bill is $50/mo + tax and i get an upgrade pricing every 20 months (i've been ready since 8/1) so that means that even if i were to go GSM, i would pay more for a lesser device with worse coverage.

#3 is honestly i really was hoping someone would actually step to the King. i had hope for the G3 Stylus but that turned out to be a mid-ranger. i was hoping someone else would try, maybe HTC... but nobody wants to compete, everyone else is just making big phones.

Furyous

The LG G3/GS5 LTE-A/Galaxy Note 4/Note Edge should work flawlessly in two years. If you have to live with a phone for a few years, a 1440p phone is a wise investment when you take into account battery life versus the competition. <---- That is my opinion on the question that asked what the point of 2.5K phone was in 2014.

I want a quad core phone too dammit and this is the year I jump to Android. Most OEMs are leaving money on the table by not releasing 2.5K phones at sub 5 inches.

I don't get this. They sent out a press in invite for the 4th to get press to attend an event they didn't say much about to anyone except press. Everyone assumes they'll announced everything today and have live streams and shit, even though they never even mentioned anything of the sort, and get mad. Now they've come out and said that things will be announced properly to the public tomorrow which was the plan all along. Why the vitriol?
indeed, what can you expect. mid tier press interaction from a mid tier phone team. think about how much smoother everything will be tomorrow with the press not rushing to do articles and instead having the time and space to all release at once at a later date.

i can imagine these motherfuckers putting 4k screens on phones in 2 years.

Yeah. If money wasn't an issue, I'd be all over a Surface Pro. I still want an Android tablet though, as I prefer the interface. Hell, I want an iPad too, for the apps (mainly games) that never come to other platforms, but owning 3 tablets seems ridiculous.
if you want a Surface Pro.... GET ONE!!!
they're amazing! just check sites like Slickdeals for bargains.

Faceless, quit being ridiculous and just get the Edge. I don't understand why you wouldn't.
i like the 4 more. it's just that simple.

Nvidia is filling a GPU related suit against Samsung and Qualcomm. Could be big.

i can imagine these motherfuckers putting 4k screens on phones in 2 years.
That's gonna be ridiculous. Not just because it's 4k, but because we're going to (hopefully) get to a point where 720p is the low end, and 1080p is the mid tier. And with continue optimizations to Android like in L, terrible performing low end Android phones should be a thing of the past.

if you want a Surface Pro.... GET ONE!!!
they're amazing! just check sites like Slickdeals for bargains.
I played with Pro 3 recently and it's awesome. Is the Pro 1 still worth it, or should I look for a Pro 2?

DarkFlow

Banned

Huh? 1440p won't be that big a deal and by the time 2016 rolls around everyone will be running 64bit cores so it will be way out of date.

NotBacon

The LG G3/GS5 LTE-A/Galaxy Note 4/Note Edge should work flawlessly in two years. If you have to live with a phone for a few years, a 1440p phone is a wise investment when you take into account battery life versus the competition. <---- That is my opinion on the question that asked what the point of 2.5K phone was in 2014.

I want a quad core phone too dammit and this is the year I jump to Android. Most OEMs are leaving money on the table by not releasing 2.5K phones at sub 5 inches.

You've got it backwards bud.
Many people report subpar battery life on the G3 right now. Imagine in 2 years when software has naturally gotten more hungry and your battery has worn away 15% of its max charge...

The S805 has some sweet optimizations, so battery life shouldn't be a problem with that and a 2K screen. The thing is if OEMs took their heads out of their asses, they would keep it at 1080p and throw an 805 in there for god-tier battery life, and a screen that looks exactly the same.

But don't worry OEMs will continue the dick-measuring contest and in the future you'll have a 4k phone with all day battery life, while everyone else has 3+ day battery life...

You've got it backwards bud.
Many people report subpar battery life on the G3 right now. Imagine in 2 years when software has naturally gotten more hungry and your battery has worn away 15% of its max charge...

The S805 has some sweet optimizations, so battery life shouldn't be a problem with that and a 2K screen. The thing is if OEMs took their heads out of their asses, they would keep it at 1080p and throw an 805 in there for god-tier battery life, and a screen that looks exactly the same.

But don't worry OEMs will continue the dick-measuring contest and in the future you'll have a 4k phone with all day battery life, while everyone else has 3+ day battery life...

+1

see, there are a few things stopping that.

#1 is AT&T and T-Mobile coverage here sucks. now, i'll give you that T-Mobile's LTE in the middle of town is blazoing fast, but that shit drops to EDGE faster than you can find a second Waffle House. AT&T is actually worse.

#2 i'm on SERO Premium so my bill is $50/mo + tax and i get an upgrade pricing every 20 months (i've been ready since 8/1) so that means that even if i were to go GSM, i would pay more for a lesser device with worse coverage.

#3 is honestly i really was hoping someone would actually step to the King. i had hope for the G3 Stylus but that turned out to be a mid-ranger. i was hoping someone else would try, maybe HTC... but nobody wants to compete, everyone else is just making big phones.

So how much do you pay for a new Note? 200? 300?

How much 4g data do you get for the sero plan?

I have switched to Harbor Mobile btw. I gave in to the dark side and got the unlimited 4g data plan for 60/m. I will give a mini review after a month.

Fatalah

If the 2300 mAH battery rumor turns out to be is true, that is incredibly disappointing.

The original Moto X carries a 2200 mAh battery, and lasts me an entire day. If they duplicate this performance with the X+1, that's not too shabby.

reKon

Banned
The original Moto X carries a 2200 mAh battery, and lasts me an entire day. If they duplicate this performance with the X+1, that's not too shabby.

It's not too bad, but it can could be much better with a bigger battery. It shouldn't have to depend all on efficiency. The Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact are going to destroy it in usage and idle time probably.

Jzero

She says you have to charge it twice a say but I'm hoping that's because she didn't set it up efficiently

wtf i don't even have to charge my gear live that often. Once a day is already shitty. I also have small wrist so this is going to suck for me.

Well, her review just about ruins the Moto 360 for me.

Wait for other reviews.. that Italian gadget blog that had the leak earlier said their moto 360 lasted 2.5 days on a charge.

It's possible that Joanna got a bad unit or something.

We'll see if others confirm the battery life issues and what the response is.

Unless you were put off by something other than the battery life claims, of course.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Failure. I'm definitely not getting one now if that review is to be believed. It looks huge, battery life sucks, use is limited. And of course 270. It's a bad time to buy. Just wait for Apple to show their stuff and then Android manufacturers will follow suit with something good. Right now, these Android watches are half baked and poorly executed.

Jzero

Failure. I'm definitely not getting one now if that review is to be believed. It looks huge, battery life sucks, use is limited. And of course 270. It's a bad time to buy. Just wait for Apple to show their stuff and then Android manufacturers will follow suit with something good. Right now, these Android watches are half baked and poorly executed.

Apple's watch is said to have flexible glass so i can't see it being good, it's probably going to look like samsung's new curved watch.

jokkir

Eh, I have a huge watch and tiny wrists so I'm not sure I'll care about it much. I need more battery impressions though but no way it was twice a day. Probably played around with it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom