• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone complaining about the lack of SD card needs to get a clue. There is always going to be something missing from a phone as it obviously cant have every feature possible. I would MUCH rather pay 500 without contract than 650 for a phone with the same CPU and if losing the sd card gets me there than so be it. Do you even know how risky or expensive it can be to include an sd card?

http://www.howtogeek.com/183766/why-microsoft-makes-5-to-15-from-every-android-device-sold/

It was very obvious IMO that the new Moto X wouldnt have an sd card based on the rumors and previous model so stop filling this thread up with your stupid posts.

I'd much rather have, you know, options. $100 or so doesn't bother me as much as running out of space on my $500 device and have no ability to change that. You can throw a hissy fit all you want, but it is a valid criticism and something worth discussing, especially in the US market where other with better specs flagship devices can be found for less (LG G3 $49.99, GS 5 $79) on contract.

Is there a viable market for a slightly less expensive phone with lower specs? I just don't see this device "moving the needle" for Motorola. Having a meltdown and insulting everyone isn't going to change that.

reKon

Banned
Literally the only thing that the Moto X has over the Z3C is software (which I guess is a pretty big deal as it's close to stock and it there are tons of useful Moto features) and skin customization. The Moto X was the most comfortable phone I've ever held, but the bigger size will take away from that feeling a little. Meanwhile, the Z3 Compact is virtually the same size, but a thinner. I think that will translate to both feeling good in hand.

It's very lame that both phones start at 16GB, even if the Z3C has an SD card slot. Minimum for flagships should be 32 GB now. No excuse.

I'd much rather have, you know, options. $100 or so doesn't bother me as much as running out of space on my $500 device and have no ability to change that. You can throw a hissy fit all you want, but it is a valid criticism and something worth discussing, especially in the US market where other with better specs flagship devices can be found for less (LG G3 $49.99, GS 5 $79) on contract.

Is there a viable market for a slightly less expensive phone with lower specs? I just don't see this device "moving the needle" for Motorola. Having a meltdown and insulting everyone isn't going to change that.

Yeah that was such a meltdown... Last year everyone complained about the price and the cpu at announcement. This year its the micro sd slot. The reason I am annoyed is because so many of these people complaining were not even planning on buying the new X in the first place. They just love to come in here and make a post complaining about it to make themselves feel better about their decision.

Yeah that was such a meltdown... Last year everyone complained about the price and the cpu at announcement. This year its the micro sd slot. The reason I am annoyed is because so many of these people complaining were not even planning on buying the new X in the first place. They just love to come in here and make a post complaining about it to make themselves feel better about their decision.

They're valid critisms? It's not like people are complaining about theose new camera thingys that look like a Kindle Fire. 16GB is rediculous nowadays. Hell GAF was a big complainer on the S5 when it came out because it only had 16GB and it has an SD card slot.

As for the price of last years model, really? Really?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So... no Nexus 6? Or will Google have their own event for that, if it exists? I though the consensus was that it would be revealed at this thing?

And by most accounts, the original Moto X flopped, and saw almost constant price slashing to move inventory. I'm not sure how you would know the intentions of the people who post complaints or criticisms about the phone. I also think you are taking this just a bit too seriously. It's just a phone after all.

For me, I stayed up until 2AM just to see what it was going to be, as I liked the concepts behind the original X but felt it was overpriced for what it delivered. I see that, again, Motorola is aiming for a niche in the market that I just don't think exists.

They're vali critisms? It's not like people are complaining about theose new camera thingys that look like a Kindle Fire. 16GB is rediculous nowadays. Hell GAF was a big complainer on the S5 when it came out because it only had 16GB and it has an SD card slot.

As for the price of last years model, really? Really?

You think the Texas plant assembling those custom moto's last year didn't have something to do with the high price? Its not all about the internals

JonnyBrad

That will be the end of October, whatever the new product is called.

There are rumours that the statue for the L release is going up at google this weekend. If that's the case you may well see a googler with a "mystery new device" like we did last year when they blatantly leaked the n5.

Getting an HTC One M8 next week. Anyone want to advise me on a good case? It needs to be fairly shock proof (though not so much that it doesn't fit in my pocket), have a kickstand (preferably a metal one) and I'm looking to spend between 20-30 bucks.

Detox

Any ideas when google will update hangouts to have parity with ios? I just want animated emoticons
H2Pub8t.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

How would you know? You are still a junior and didn't join till Nov of 2013.

Are you PCTX reincarnated? Who's alt are you? LoL

Getting an HTC One M8 next week. Anyone want to advise me on a good case? It needs to be fairly shock proof (though not so much that it doesn't fit in my pocket), have a kickstand (preferably a metal one) and I'm looking to spend between 20-30 bucks.

I have a Spigen Slim Armor lying around if you wanna buy it. Brand new.

And by most accounts, the original Moto X flopped, and saw almost constant price slashing to move inventory. I'm not sure how you would know the intentions of the people who post complaints or criticisms about the phone. I also think you are taking this just a bit too seriously. It's just a phone after all.

For me, I stayed up until 2AM just to see what it was going to be, as I liked the concepts behind the original X but felt it was overpriced for what it delivered. I see that, again, Motorola is aiming for a niche in the market that I just don't think exists.

What is this niche market you speak of? The original X flopped due to lack of branding. Americans are not savvy buyers and they only buy what they see on TV or think is popular. The X did not fail because of its internals. It failed because it cant keep up with Samsung/Apple's advertising budgets.

spwolf

Literally the only thing that the Moto X has over the Z3C is software (which I guess is a pretty big deal as it's close to stock and it there are tons of useful Moto features) and skin customization. The Moto X was the most comfortable phone I've ever held, but the bigger size will take away from that feeling a little. Meanwhile, the Z3 Compact is virtually the same size, but a thinner. I think that will translate to both feeling good in hand.

It's very lame that both phones start at 16GB, even if the Z3C has an SD card slot. Minimum for flagships should be 32 GB now. No excuse.

I am not sure if you are comparing Z3C to new X or old... Z3C will be substantially smaller and lighter - it is smaller/lighter/thinner than old G. Real competitor is Z3 which is slightly taller, same width and way, way, thinner than X.

In Original Z1C, what bothered me besides bezels was that it was slightly too thick. Same problem that X and G now have... Worst part of the G for me is the thickness, and new one does not change either.

What is this niche market you speak of? The original X flopped do to lack of branding. Americans are not savvy buyers and they only buy what they see on TV or think is popular. The X did not fail because of its internals. It failed because it cant keep up with Samsung/Apple's advertising budgets.

Hang on, so you are saying that the Moto X failed because Americans are too dumb to recognize how awesome it was?

I do have to agree though, this is 2014, why is 16GB STILL the minimum? It should be a 32GB and 64GB standard for the X, and then have a 16GB with SDcard slot for the G. That would probably be the better option.

I will say though, I still bet there will be a new $500 new iPad that is going to be announced that will still only have 16GB of space. 16GB needs to go away. 32GB needs to be the minimum, period.

Hasney

Think the battle for my money has come down to Z3 V iPhone 6 depending on what they announce.

Did Sony say anything about bigger capacity versions? 16gb is pretty damn slim, even with SD support.

reKon

Banned
Think the battle for my money has come down to Z3 V iPhone 6 depending on what they announce.

Did Sony say anything about bigger capacity versions? 16gb is pretty damn slim, even with SD support.

Do you know if Xperia Z, G3, HTC One, and the rest of the flagships have any built-in app to SD card solutions?

I don't even really mind putting the majority of my apps on the phone storage. It's really Google Music that I would like to leave on my SD card because of all the cache..

If the Z3 does come to Verizon, maybe by the time I'm up for an upgrade (June/July 2015), maybe the Z4 will out on Verizon by then?

The moto g is their money maker

So they will sell 1 billion units?!

Man did I screw up the world census? My bad.

Nah Sony won't sell any phones because we won't see any commercials of it.

Hasney

Do you know if Xperia Z, G3, HTC One, and the rest of the flagships have any built-in app to SD card solutions?

I don't even really mind putting the majority of my apps on the phone storage. It's really Google Music that I would like to leave on my SD card because of all the cache..

You can tell the cache to sit on the SD card, can't you? Or does that only work for songs you physically tell it to download?

The iPhone 6 will really have to impress me at this point. The Z3 seems to be the perfect phone for me: waterproof, SD card support, premium build, kickass battery life, better camera, PS4 connectivity, etc

kIdMuScLe

Chrome for android just got updated with a new look. Is there anything new ? And fuuuuuuuuu... The new moto G is such a good deal. Wish I could upgrade my moto G for the new one:-(

this_guy

The price last year was a valid criticism. So much so that Motorola HAD to lower the price to compete with other phones.

What is this niche market you speak of? The original X flopped due to lack of branding. Americans are not savvy buyers and they only buy what they see on TV or think is popular. The X did not fail because of its internals. It failed because it cant keep up with Samsung/Apple's advertising budgets.

So its not because Moto offered a phone with a worse screen and camera at the same price point that it didn't sell, it's just because the consumer is stupid. When you have to blame the consumer for not selling that means it ain't the consumer.

Hasney

The iPhone 6 will really have to impress me at this point. The Z3 seems to be the perfect phone for me: waterproof, SD card support, premium build, kickass battery life, better camera, PS4 connectivity, etc

Thinking the same. They could do it, but they'll need to pull out all the stops.

Just hope the Z3 is on my carrier so I can get the contract discount on this plan.

Talon

What the fuck are you talking about? They spent half a billion advertising that shit and failed miserably.

For everyone complaining about the lack of SD card needs to get a clue. There is always going to be something missing from a phone as it obviously cant have every feature possible. I would MUCH rather pay 500 without contract than 650 for a phone with the same CPU and if losing the sd card gets me there than so be it. Do you even know how risky or expensive it can be to include an sd card?

http://www.howtogeek.com/183766/why-microsoft-makes-5-to-15-from-every-android-device-sold/

It was very obvious IMO that the new Moto X wouldnt have an sd card based on the rumors and previous model so stop filling this thread up with your stupid posts.

15144981631_e9eca9f998_z.jpg

LOL my 128gb SD master race can't hear you spreading SD card FDU over godzillions of offline video and audiobooks and podcasts.

Hasney

Well Three appear to have every Sony phone ever released in the UK, so I'm hopeful. I know some people are looking forward to the compact more, so hopefully they do release it over here for you guys, but my man-hands are fine with the full-fat edition.

EDIT: Although, they only have the smallest storage versions of each model.

Just waking up a bit ago. The Moto G and X look great, especially the X. Hopefully battery life turns out good. The Moto 360 looks great too, but if the battery life problem really is true, that kills it. Everything else about it is dope though, and what I want in a smartwatch.

Doesn't matter. Microsoft spent billions of dollars marketing the Surface and Windows Phone and both tanked.

You can spend as much as you want on marketing, but you still need a competitive product. Motorola simply did not have that.

Microsoft's advertising is terrible and they can't touch the cool factor with a ten foot pole. Do you really think the general consumer(not us techies) has any clue about the specs of the moto, iPhone or galaxy? Do you think they cared that two of those had a 720p screen and that the moto only had an s4 CPU? People buy the s5 in droves because it is the only alternative to the iPhone that they even know about.

Microsoft's advertising is terrible and they can't touch the cool factor with a ten foot pole. Do you really think the general consumer(not us techies) has any clue about the specs of the moto, iPhone or galaxy? Do you think they cared that two of those had a 720p screen and that the moto only had an s4 CPU? People buy the s5 in droves because it is the only alternative to the iPhone that they even know about.

Uhhh Moto is cool now? Since when? The original RAZR?

A little off topic, but the new Verge site is pretty good on mobile, and then you scroll down to the comments and let them load and all hell breaks loose. Shit becomes a laggy, stuttery mess, depending on the number of comments. If there are a lot, shit performance. A few, it's all good. Though if there are images and GIFs, you're fucked either way.

Thought it was a chrome issue, but nope, happens in other browsers too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't really see your point on why it remotely matters though.

You don't have to pull samsung or apple numbers to be considered a success.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-confirms-availability-and-pricing-moto-x-moto-g-and-more

UK pricing and availability

Moto G

Available in black and white
Starting from £144.99
Available from Amazon from 5th September (Motorola Shells will be available from October) [Amazon have the new Moto G listed as September 12th but whatever]

Moto X

Available in black 16GB, leather 16GB and bamboo 16GB
Starting from £419.99
Available from Amazon from the end of September

Moto 360

Available in gray leather and black leather
Starting from £199.00
Available from O2, Tesco, Amazon and John Lewis from early October

What? Starting at £420? Are they serious? You can already get a Note 3 at that price range. Or Z2, even cheaper at around £370. And that’s with 3200mah batt, microsd and water resistance lol. I’d love to see Moto shills spin that :-D Right now, you can even get a G3 directly from Amazon UK for around £416.

reKon

Banned
Exactly. It's a perfect combo of awesome :).

If it's going to be too much of a hassle to get the Z3C imported maybe, just maybe I that I get the Xperia Z3 if I get over the large size. The only reason I'd consider this is because of PS4 Remote play and because I'm on T-Mobile and I can expense the cost of the phone over the payment plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom