• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
I would say about 2 years.

Fpkb8WJ.jpg

VoxPop

Galaxy Nexus - Release 17 November 2011
Last supported update - Jelly Bean (4.3) 24 July 2013

Four months shy of two years.
If KitKat would have been officially released it would have made it over two years (31 October 2013)

That phone blew chunks anyway. Had even less updates since I had it on Verizon for over a year. Battery was an absolute joke and that plastic.

The jump from 4.0 to 4.4 wasn't even significant from what I remember. Everyone can just install custom roms if they really wanted to update their phones. Isn't 4.4 still only on like 8% of Android devices?

jokkir

I can see Nexus 4 being updated to later versions of Android because of it using Snapdragon. The reason why Galaxy Nexus wasn't updated to Kitkat was because Texas Instruments isn't really in the mobile business anymore and didn't have the updated drivers to support it.

Update: Keep in mind that the Galaxy Nexus runs a Texas Instruments OMAP processor, and TI isn’t really in the mobile game anymore. Can be difficult to support a device when the chipset manufacturer isn’t really around. This is tough news to swallow for many of you, but the phone is now two years old.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/31/galaxy-nexus-will-not-receive-android-4-4/

After a few weeks with the Z2 I'm pretty dayam impress with it, and I'm glad I got it over the S5 or M8.

Screen is vibrant without being neon.
Battery life is excellent, almost 8 hour screen time!!
Performance is snappy and responsive.
Cameras automode seem to take better and faster photos than the Z1.

Device itself looks awesome, it just looks premium and high end.

The dock that comes with it is very convenient.

The noise cancelling headphone actually works!!

Minor gripes are the front speaker are not loud at all...wish it was load as Boomsound of HTC. Also no root method yet :(

Sony really dropped the ball for delaying the Z2 in the US...glad I didn't wait and just imported an unlock version.

tzare

Looks awesome, too bad about those buttons on the back. Please be water resistant and this may be my n5 substitute later this year

Groof

LG pretty much have this in the bag for me. Unless Moto or Google come out with something incredible this year (and international, in Moto's case) then I'm all in.

Only complaint about those G3 renders is that the speakers are stuck on the back. If not on the front like the HTC one, at least avoid muffling audio by sticking them on the bottom!

Jigolo

Best looking phone ever. Holy shit!

The next nexus is based around this but if its turns out bad I'll just buy the G3.

Toki767

I know the G3 isn't going to have a fingerprint reader, but that logo of theirs would be such a good spot to have one.

reKon

Banned
Dear Lord...

Please make a G3 Mini with a snapdragon 801 and 2GB of ram..
PLEASE LG

Who's going to make the OT for the LG G3? It's going to deserve. I don't recall there being on for the LG G2

freshair

Just bought an M8.

LG G3 announcement is May 27. Return policy is 14 days.

I'll have one day to decide to keep or return xD

But the fact that it's 5.5" already puts me off :\

Groof

Just bought an M8.

LG G3 announcement is May 27. Return policy is 14 days.

I'll have one day to decide to keep or return xD

But the fact that it's 5.5" already puts me off :\

It will probably be the same size, if not slightly smaller than the M8.

The power of them LG Bezels™

Toki767

Hmm...in somewhat of a dilemma. AT&T is offering their 10GB Mobile Share thing for $160 for 4 lines...I'm currently paying about $260 a month for 4 lines. Obviously the Mobile Share for $160 is a better deal, but there's a catch in that plan where you can no longer get subsidized phones which my brother keeps seeing as a deal (once you wait for a phone to be $50 or free at least). Apparently with Mobile Share, if you want a new phone you have to either pay for one outright or sign up for the Next program.

How are your guys feelings about it who have AT&T and family plans?

Futureman

Toki do you need to have the latest and greatest? There are some good off contract Android options if you are on AT&T (Nexus line and Moto line).

Zero Hero

Hmm...in somewhat of a dilemma. AT&T is offering their 10GB Mobile Share thing for $160 for 4 lines...I'm currently paying about $260 a month for 4 lines. Obviously the Mobile Share for $160 is a better deal, but there's a catch in that plan where you can no longer get subsidized phones which my brother keeps seeing as a deal (once you wait for a phone to be $50 or free at least). Apparently with Mobile Share, if you want a new phone you have to either pay for one outright or sign up for the Next program.

How are your guys feelings about it who have AT&T and family plans?

I just switched for the same reason. 4 lines and around $290/month. What happens is they spread the payments for new equipment out over 20 months. For an iPhone 5 or a S5 would add around $35 to your $160 bill. After 20 months, the phone is paid off and your bill gets $35 cheaper. Buy 4 new phones 4 x 35 = $140 + $160 = $300 so you can easily be paying more than your old plan pretty quick. You can also trade you new phone in after 12 months on a newer phone. That is the way the plan works.

Toki767

I think my problem is that my situation is one where I can get a subsidized phone every year already since only 2 out of 4 people take advantage of upgrades so we alternate which lines upgrade every year and give the older phone to one of the other 2 people who don't care about having a new phone. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth the hassle to do the mobile share plan or if I'm better off just sticking with what I have which has worked for me already.

SUPREME1

Banned
The Optimus G was criminally underrated. The G2 didn't get nearly the amount of love our hype it deserved.

The G3 is gonna make everyone pay.

So, is the Nexus 6 going to be relayed to this like the previous phones were to each other?

If so, the N6 is gonna be so sexy.

Ughhhhhhh! Why did google mess up the text reflow option on Web browsers with kk?
If I wanted a half arsed Web browsing experience I would have got an iPhone, innit?
I normally use naked browser because it used to do everything exactly how I wanted. I have tried every setting and nothing will get text to reflow. Opera does a decent job of it, but it doesn't have pin to zoom or image toggle.
Are there any Web browsers for kk that let me disable images per tab, that do text reflow and have pin to zoom - I can live without pin to zoom?

Seems dolphin has text reflow, but it's a bit laggy, doesn't have on the fly image disable/enable, and no pin to zoom.

TokiDoki

I'm pretty much set for the G3 now , sick of the unavailability of One plus one . Take my money LG , hopefully its cheaper than the current flagships .

terrier

I don't have battery issues with my Nexus 5, even with the smaller battery compared to the G2. :::shrugs:::

me neither, i am really happy so far, much better battery life than my old Xperia T, on par with my wife's S4+ (2600mAh).
Only thing that kills battery is camera (and gaming, but since i do not play games on smartphones, problem solved)

and mediocre camera....

disagree. It ain't the best camera, sure, but it is not mediocre or bad. Compared to Xperia T (13MP exmor) it performs better, it also performs better than my wife's S4+ 13MP camera. It is not mindblowing but it just works.

I also have tested quite a bit a relative's Z1 and performs better, but not that much, considering its price was almost 2X

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That LG seems to be ticking off all of the boxes, but if those specs are true, battery life can't be as good as the 801-based phones, can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom