• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
People falling for decent looking hardware and deliberately not thinking about the shitty skinned software side are like guys who get drunk and fuck the lonely chick at the bar only to wake up and realize she was really 200 pounds.

Glorious Skinned Android Master Race can't even hear what the Filthy Stock Android Peasants are saying from the tops of their mountains

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah the back kinda kills it, but the front looks so good. Hopefully they make a high end device with the front design

My cousin said it looks like a 5C lol

MattDoza

816-2.jpg

M7 still da bes.

jokkir

I don't get why Google would do that when their nexus line is getting more famous unless it's more of a name change

KissVibes

Banned
Hello friends, I was given a Droid Charge. I don't know anything about rooting phones but I wanted to know if it was possible to get 4.0 running on this or not. I'm Just using it as part of my mining operation and the app requires android 4.0.

Thanks!!

jokkir

Hello friends, I was given a Droid Charge. I don't know anything about rooting phones but I wanted to know if it was possible to get 4.0 running on this or not. I'm Just using it as part of my mining operation and the app requires android 4.0.

Thanks!!

I'm not sure what your phone model is but it could be this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-charge

If it isn't, try to find it on the XDA forums. You'll get all the rooting information there but make sure it's the correct model and stuff or else risking some damage on your phone.

thespot84

Thanks!!

in a nutshell, it's hard. I had a charge laying around and was very limited in what I could get running on it. It's a small dev community and the hardware leaves something to be desired. There's a CM10.1 clone around, haven't tested it, but it's worth just shooting for the moon and if not dial it back to something usable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2022069

MarkusRJR

So what do you guys think of the phones HTC showed recently? The Desire 816 is kinda perplexing.. It looks really nice, but it's like a mid of the pack phablet. I really like the design of it though.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-desire-816-hands

Android central has some nice shots of the phone
I really like the appearance of that phone but plastic like that tends to look like garbage after a year or so. It'll be scratch city.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I'm disappointed. I always loved the Nexus line. If they had better battery life they'd be the perfect phones (especially the Nexus 4 and 5). Something good better be coming to replace it.

Cipherr

I would be pretty shocked if there was a way to get 4.0 on the Droid Charge. Although come to think of it, I suppose 4.0 wasnt all that long after the Charge launched. Maybe even mere months away come to think of it...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I'm disappointed. I always loved the Nexus line. If they had better battery life they'd be the perfect phones (especially the Nexus 4 and 5). Something good better be coming to replace it.

Yeah, Android Silver or whatever had better be fucking impressive, because they are fucking with my favorite phone line by ending the Nexus. I would be livid were it not for the Google Edition phones. At least I have them as a fall back if they fuck this up.

I get the feeling some large changes are coming this year though. Nexus is getting replaced, and I was reading today that they are updating ART and finally bringing it out of the shed at I/O this year. Somethings going on..

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus is bestus. Google wouldn't dump it without something suitable to replace it.

Furyous

RIP Nexus program.

OEMs have to counter the influx of superb smartphones from China. That's a long-term problem they need to deal with. If the HTC Desire costs $405 then why should I purchase it over the one plus one? There are USB OTG drives available to mitigate the lack of SD card.

Are they just ending Nexus phones? Because it makes no sense whatsoever to end everything Nexus, especially considering how popular the Nexus 7 is. Even then, I'd imagine the Nexus phones at least manage to sell a couple million, at least since the Nexus 4.

And will there be powerful Android Silver phones that sell for super cheap off-contract like a Nexus? I was planning on making my return to using them again, and I know many people have gotten used to buying a phone for so low off-contract. And as someone who likes using custom ROMs, those low price Chinese phones don't have anywhere near the amount of community support. Not even Galaxy devices.

Nicktendo86

Hey this is cool, just got an email from Google saying a photosphere I put up on Google maps has just reached over 100 views :D

Hmmmmmmm....nothing really special about the nexus line anyways, is it because they are cheap? Brand loyalty? People don't know how to use put custom ROM on other device? If Stock android is soo good that they need to put a different launcher anyways...

Yeah....

Husker86

Hmmmmmmm....nothing really special about the nexus line anyways, is it because they are cheap? Brand loyalty? People don't know how to use put custom ROM on other device? If Stock android is soo good that they need to put a different launcher anyways...

Yeah....
Ummmm, price. And the advantage there is huge.
Yeah thats the only thing I could think of..

But if you're happy with a carrier and wouldnt mind the contract, the subsidize phones are cheaper.
Not true anymore. All major carriers give discounts for being off contract.

But if you're happy with a carrier and wouldnt mind the contract, the subsidize phones are cheaper.

I think the brand loyalty is just strong...

the subsidy is not cheaper by any means, its far more expensive. I mean you're paying less from the jump, but not over time. Not to mention you're potentially locked into a contract

Paying 349 a single time vs 200 upfront + a fee for 18-24 months is cheaper?

The Nexus line dying is terrible, because they were mostly good phones with trade-offs. You got a high-end phone (at its time) with a mediocre battery and camera. I'm really into the (red) Nexus 5 and would probably make it my next phone, if Google didn't burn me with the Galaxy Nexus. The Google Play Edition phones are not an alternative, because they cost twice as much as the current Nexus phones. I don't see how the Android Silver program is different from the GPE program, especially not in terms of pricing.

Ummmm, price. And the advantage there is huge.

Not true anymore. All major carriers give discounts for being off contract.

OK...price.

But now you can get an LG G2 for the same amount as nexus 5....and the G2 is superior.

Yeah the Nexus devices offered some pretty nice hardware for the price though they tended to skimp on camera and battery.

People need to remember that was not always the case.
Nexus line only got cheaper starting with the nexus 4.

Galaxy nexus gsm is like 700 and hardware was inferior to the galaxy s2, but it did introduce the 720p screen, but the rest of the hardware was mediocre.

Nexus 4 ....No LTE!!!!nuff said!

Nexus 5...finally up to par with current flagship but I wouldn't say its better than the top flagship's...

XBP

Not really. In canada you end up paying twice the price of a new flagship if you get one on a contract.

tzare

People falling for decent looking hardware and deliberately not thinking about the shitty skinned software side are like guys who get drunk and fuck the lonely chick at the bar only to wake up and realize she was really 200 pounds.
As bloated might lg ui be, i still haven't seen my old optimus g and its s4pro lag at all, unlike my samsung s4+ with snapdragon 800.

You're missing the point. That wasn't the case at the time of their respective release dates. I'm sure you can still find a Nexus 5 for less than whatever the G2 costs now.

So it is mostly about price then...

Well I did pay twice the price for my xperia Z2 and I don't think the z2 is twice the phone. But better than having 2 nexus 5 lol...

Tendo

Anyone familiar with running Amazon video on Dolphin? Having some issues. It was working fine earlier but now just sits "loading" my content. Any ideas? Tried rebooting, closing Dolphin and opening it again. I'm at a loss.

So it is mostly about price then...

Well I did pay twice the price for my xperia Z2 and I don't think the z2 is twice the phone. But better than having 2 nexus 5 lol...
I honestly can't tell which of your posts are serious sometimes. Sometimes they look like trolling, sometimes they don't. Or maybe they're both...

Anyway, I don't think price alone is the main thing people like about Nexus devices. I believe it's a combination of that and high performance hardware (aside from battery and camera). Plus, for those that do like ROMs, Nexus devices are the easiest to do that with. A lot of devices have to have some ridiculous exploit just to root and unlock the bootloader, if at all. So no, it's not easy to just put a ROM on some other device...

Of course everyone's not into that, but for those that are, I can't think of a better line of devices that allow that amount of freedom...

Husker86

OK...price.

But now you can get an LG G2 for the same amount as nexus 5....and the G2 is superior.

But...I got my Nexus 5 in November.

I'm actually not completely against OEM skins. I might try the G3 for my next phone.

But the Nexus 4/5 are the ONLY Android phones I've never put a custom ROM on. I didn't feel the need.

When I had my GS4 I used a custom ROM almost exclusively to get rid of the notification junk. It pissed me off seeing the first/second my personal notifications be cut off without scrolling.

Luckily, many of those issues are fixed with xposed framework, so only root is required.

I did root my Nexus devices (it's just too easy not to), but so far the only thing I've really personally gained from it is enabling screen recording with xposed framework. Great feature for making short videos for my apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it that hard to believe people would take the N5 over the G2, even today, even with price being equal? I sure wouldn't enjoy using the G2 software. If hardware is the only thing that counts, I'd get an iPhone. But iOS is shit, like LG's software. So no, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom