• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

- You can't say Ok Google or Hey Jarvis or Wake Up Dummy or Shoo Bop Shoo Bop, while your G2 is on the table with the screen off.

- You can't replicate glorious Moto Display without taking a massive battery hit.

- Waving my hand to shut up my alarm sounds amazing. No more fumbling half awake.
I haven't tried this one yet b/c it's on the new X

You actually can do the first one.

The second one I really don't care about.

The third one you can actually just turn the phone over and it does the same thing.

I bought a 2013 Moto X. I was so close to buying a 2014 Moto G when I realized there's no 16GB model on the Moto store even though reviews say it exists! Even though I was going to buy an SD card there's no way I could stay sane while managing <8GB of apps while moving shit all the time to the card. Why the fuck isn't it on the store? I hope the old X satisfies me, I'm upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus. I mean, it should, but I'm still anxious.

I bought a 2013 Moto X. I was so close to buying a 2014 Moto G when I realized there's no 16GB model on the Moto store even though reviews say it exists! Even though I was going to buy an SD card there's no way I could stay sane while managing <8GB of apps while moving shit all the time to the card. Why the fuck isn't it on the store? I hope the old X satisfies me, I'm upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus. I mean, it should, but I'm still anxious.

Its night and day difference between the gnex. You will be really happy.

The third one you can actually just turn the phone over and it does the same thing.

i still remember when Samsung added the hand wave to answer calls and people furiously debated the usefulness. i guess the true answer was it wasn't anti-social enough.

Husker86

Isn't this more or less how Google Wallet works now? I think the only significant difference is that Apple generates a one-time credit card number, with Google Wallet it seems to use a virtual number that seems to be assigned per device, although I bet that if someone tried to charge something to that number without authorizing through the Wallet app (for example an attacker managed to get the virtual number by compromising the POS terminal), the transaction would be declined...

Ah, that's good to know.

Speaking of Google Wallet, does anyone know why it gets declined at some PayPass terminals?

The vending machines at my work accept NFC payments, it specifically says ISIS and MasterCard PayPass, but when I try to use Google Wallet, no matter if I use my VISA or Amex, the machine says "Mastercard debit cards not allowed".

I hate this fragmented NFC payments shit.

NotBacon

How do you do the first one?

And like I said, you don't know until you've used it. It's hard to leave those features :p

NotBacon

It's not a powerhouse by any means, and it might show its age in 1.5 years, but you'll still love it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
no like installing the developer version?

What is the question? If it's worth it? I used it for a few weeks when it was first released, and while it was fun to see parts of the new design and try out some of the new features I eventually went back to KK. The L preview is usable, but there are some pretty annoying bugs and app incompatibilities. If you've waited this long I'd say you're better off just waiting for the official release. But if you really want to try it, go ahead. Not like it's difficult to flash it, nor to go back to KK.

bob page

I have to admit I was kinda interested in what Apple had to reveal today but I think they dropped the ball big time. The regular iPhone 6 is a turd (same battery as 5S, no OIS, etc) and $300 for the base Plus is pretty ridiculous. Plus, I have no reason why I would want an Apple Watch- it seems like they completely missed the point. I know they don't have access to the wealth of data that Google does, but still- was hoping they would have put something together with a more concrete vision

I'm still planning to wait on the next cycle of Wear devices but I find the vision for Wear infinitely more promising than the Watch.

Fox318

Ah, that's good to know.

Speaking of Google Wallet, does anyone know why it gets declined at some PayPass terminals?

The vending machines at my work accept NFC payments, it specifically says ISIS and MasterCard PayPass, but when I try to use Google Wallet, no matter if I use my VISA or Amex, the machine says "Mastercard debit cards not allowed".

I hate this fragmented NFC payments shit.
I would also like to know

Jzero

What is the question? If it's worth it? I used it for a few weeks when it was first released, and while it was fun to see parts of the new design and try out some of the new features I eventually went back to KK. The L preview is usable, but there are some pretty annoying bugs and app incompatibilities. If you've waited this long I'd say you're better off just waiting for the official release. But if you really want to try it, go ahead. Not like it's difficult to flash it, nor to go back to KK.

I'm still using the preview. It's buggy as hell but the new features are too good to go back to stable KitKat.

this_guy

- You can't say Ok Google or Hey Jarvis or Wake Up Dummy or Shoo Bop Shoo Bop, while your G2 is on the table with the screen off.

- You can't replicate glorious Moto Display without taking a massive battery hit.

- Waving my hand to shut up my alarm sounds amazing. No more fumbling half awake.
I haven't tried this one yet b/c it's on the new X

Every other flagship phone (Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, and even last year's LG G2) has substantially better battery life than the new Moto X, and Motorola only caught up to the others on screen quality this year. Stop over rating the phone.

Your last feature listed sounds very gimmicky like Samsung's screen scrolling with your eyes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The elevated position Apple still enjoys in the media, despite their market share being rather small these days, is a bit astounding. They're talking about the iPhone 6 and the watch in Swedish news today. Don't think I've ever heard anything about an Android phone (or Android itself) in the mainstream news, even though that's what the vast majority of people use. But whenever a new iPhone is revealed it's a big event. Guess it's still viewed as THE THING, even though it's not what most people actually buy anymore.

8ShVS1z.jpg

NotBacon

Every other flagship phone (Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, and even last year's LG G2) has substantially better battery life than the new Moto X, and Motorola only caught up to the others on screen quality this year. Stop over rating the phone.

Your last feature listed sounds very gimmicky like Samsung's screen scrolling with your eyes.

There will always be a tradeoff with the phone you pick. All that matters are your priorities. For me, as long as the phone lasts more than a day I'm fine, since I plug it in every night anyways.

And I'm not overrating the phone. Just telling you what it does and how it's useful. But call it what you will...

Fox318

Am I the only person who sees the moto x and isn't in love with it?

I get that it's closer to stock than most devices but I fell like out doesn't stand out aside from the different backs.

Toki767

I get that it's closer to stock than most devices but I fell like out doesn't stand out aside from the different backs.

It's a fine device. I just spent enough time with stock android to know that I appreciate some additional aspects that some manufacturers add.

And I don't consider waving my phone over my alarm to silence it remotely useful since I put my phone on the other side of the room so that I have to actually get up to turn it off so I'm awake.

Quasar

The elevated position Apple still enjoys in the media, despite their market share being rather small these days, is a bit astounding. They're talking about the iPhone 6 and the watch in Swedish news today. Don't think I've ever heard anything about an Android phone (or Android itself) in the mainstream news, even though that's what the vast majority of people use. But whenever a new iPhone is revealed it's a big event. Guess it's still viewed as THE THING, even though it's not what most people actually buy anymore.

Well thats just usage bias in terms of the tech press. Plus its the platform of choice for celebs. Not quite the 1%ers platform (more like 15% probably).

ShdwDrake

Banned

I thought the same about the first moto x. Then I won one at work and switched from my iPhone to it for a bit and it was the best phone I've ever used. The little things the phone does are so useful and easy to use. I'm now using an M8 (I stupidly destroyed the moto) and I hate it. It first feel as smart (?) as the moto x did and since the iPhone 6 isn't really anything special the only other phone I'm even looking at is the new moto x. Like this M8 just feels horrible to use.

thenexus6

Ah, the verge is so shite. I pretty much stopped using the site and forums over there. It's fun for comedy posts like that though ^

NotBacon

I thought the same about the first moto x. Then I won one at work and switched from my iPhone to it for a bit and it was the best phone I've ever used. The little things the phone does are so useful and easy to use. I'm now using an M8 (I stupidly destroyed the moto) and I hate it. It first feel as smart (?) as the moto x did and since the iPhone 6 isn't really anything special the only other phone I'm even looking at is the new moto x. Like this M8 just feels horrible to use.

B-b-but..... g-gimmicks.....

Groof

The new Moto x is a front runner for my upgrade (if it actually gets released over here this time that is), but the biggest unknown is the battery. People say it lives through a day, but that "benchmark" means absolutely shit to me now. Battery is where I'm looking at most for my upgrade, and unless I can get through an entire day with a lot of juice left, no amount of "useful" gimmicks will help.

3phemeral

The new Moto x is a front runner for my upgrade (if it actually gets released over here this time that is), but the biggest unknown is the battery. People say it lives through a day, but that "benchmark" means absolutely shit to me now. Battery is where I'm looking at most for my upgrade, and unless I can get through an entire day with a lot of juice left, no amount of "useful" gimmicks will help.

Really depends on how you use the phone. Supposedly Android L makes pretty vast improvements in battery life, which both old and new Moto Xs will get. My Moto X easily lasts a day, and I use it to listen to music at the gym, keep track of my workouts, read news in the morning, navigate my drive as well as track via Dash + OBD sensor. I imagine the new Moto X will likely be as well designed.

Haha. Of course, that's a Dieter quote. Dude is a joke. Also a joke: most of the Apple related articles and editorials since the Apple event. Some of those headlines...lawd, smh.

The funniest thing, though, is all the hypocrisy and backtracking I've seen from tech journalists, bloggers and whomever regarding the iPhone, and in particular smartwatches.

These people were all saying how wearables should be complimentary and not smartphones on your wrist or wherever. Here comes the Apple Watch, which is exactly the latter. It has a home screen with icons you tap to launch apps. It has complex ui design, especially for a watch. There are several ways to interact with the device (touch screen, crown dial, tap, force tap aka long press). There's gimmicky shit that seem pointless on a watch like viewing pictures, sending a heartbeat, drawing and sending doodles and more; shit they panned Samsung for. Apple said they made a watch first, but it seems more like a mini iPhone.

Then you have Android Wear which is more passive with a complimentary focus. Sure, it can do much of what the Apple Watch can, but the UI is designed to give you quick, glanceable information efficiently. It's a more cohesive, consistent vision. Contrast that to the Apple Watch where it looks like you'll have your head down, focused on the watch just as long as you would a phone.

Then there's the shape which is apparently fine to these people now, although they've been negative about anything that was square or rectangular in the past.

All this time, I've been one of those people that, as Faceless posted, said "But they use Android phones too!" Maaan, all the stuff I've read on the Verge since the event, though, is definitely altering my opinion of the site.

Edit: Also, Amazon can fuck right on off requiring the Amazon app just to use Instant Video. They need to make it a standalone app on Google Play proper instead of forcing people, the more casual ones in particular, to have to decrease security by enabling sideloading/installing apps from unknown sources. Not only that, but since the Amazon app has now been updated to also be an actual app store within the Play Store, isn't it basically going against the Play Store ToS?

Quasar

These people were all saying how wearables should be complimentary and not smartphones on your wrist or wherever. Here comes the Apple Watch, which is exactly the latter. It has a home screen with icons you tap to launch apps. It has complex ui design, especially for a watch.

Well I don't think that's true, that its a smart phone on your wrist. I'd like that, the accessory to your phone is part of my disenchantment with the whole category (though I understand why...the battery life would be even more terrible).

That said I'm yet to be convinced about the icons as demoed. Choosing from amongst the apps seems very clunky.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well thats just usage bias in terms of the tech press. Plus its the platform of choice for celebs. Not quite the 1%ers platform (more like 15% probably).

But this wasn't the tech press. It was the regular morning news broadcast of one of the major Swedish networks. The iPhone just has a disproportionate mind share compared to its actual market share.

That's cool for people who have Google Voice numbers (which I believe is only a thing in the US?). For the rest of the world it's useless. What they need to do is sync regular SMS messages from your phone to Hangouts, so that you can reply to both kinds of messages no matter if you're on your phone or your computer.

Well I don't think that's true, that its a smart phone on your wrist. I'd like that, the accessory to your phone is part of my disenchantment with the whole category (though I understand why...the battery life would be even more terrible).

You should check out the Neptune Pine. It's exactly what you're asking for, a full smartphone on your wrist (but also with phone connectivity). And it seems absolutely awful.

terrier

So anyway, with nothing of note left to be announced this year, it's safe to crown the king of 2014. Sam did it again!
Ok.

Now the iphones have been shown....

compact smartphone : Z3C
standard smartphone: (5 inch or so) Z3
phablet: Note 4
tablet Z3 tablet

But i think z3C would be the overall winner, since it small, has a screen close enough to 5 inches and will probably be amongst the best on battery life and is waterproof, plus front speakers. It just hits all the spots.

Really i see no appeal on those new iphones unless you have a huge investment on iOS / itunes and its ecosystem, and even with that, the difference in price may even make that irrelevant. Huge for their screen size, reminds me of cheap wiko cink five....

terrier

But this wasn't the tech press. It was the regular morning news broadcast of one of the major Swedish networks. The iPhone just has a disproportionate mind share compared to its actual market share.

it is the same in spain, it is just stupid but journalism is everything but reliable if you are looking for impartial information.

Groof

Really depends on how you use the phone. Supposedly Android L makes pretty vast improvements in battery life, which both old and new Moto Xs will get. My Moto X easily lasts a day, and I use it to listen to music at the gym, keep track of my workouts, read news in the morning, navigate my drive as well as track via Dash + OBD sensor. I imagine the new Moto X will likely be as well designed.
Yeah I've no doubt it'll be well optimized. I just want it to survive with a long screen on time. I don't want to rush home to the charger at 6pm anymore because I have 8% battery left, I want to have that extra juice so I won't have to worry I'll run out before the day is over.
Reviews are still coming though, and then there's the unknown if it'll be released over here. So far though, g3 and z3 are the most compelling to me. We'll see what Google offers.

Toki767

Yeah I've no doubt it'll be well optimized. I just want it to survive with a long screen on time. I don't want to rush home to the charger at 6pm anymore because I have 8% battery left, I want to have that extra juice so I won't have to worry I'll run out before the day is over.
Reviews are still coming though, and then there's the unknown if it'll be released over here. So far though, g3 and z3 are the most compelling to me. We'll see what Google offers.

The most concerning thing about screen on time for the Moto X seems to be that one of the features of the new Moto X is the turbo charging thing.

Then you add on that last year's Moto X was a 4.7" 720p display with a 2200mAh battery and the new one is a 5.2" 1080p display with a 2300mAh battery. This is almost like the G3 argument NotBacon keeps making. I would probably expect 3-4 hours of screen on time for the new Moto X.

Maiar_m

Made this prediction months ago and voila!

Heading there now to see how they spin that hideous iKnob on the side :-D

I like the 'iKnob' :( it's what I like as a detail in a well-designed watch. Of course the AW is everything but well-designed, and yet that's not where I'd put the blame.

Groof

The most concerning thing about screen on time for the Moto X seems to be that one of the features of the new Moto X is the turbo charging thing.

Then you add on that last year's Moto X was a 4.7" 720p display with a 2200mAh battery and the new one is a 5.2" 1080p display with a 2300mAh battery. This is almost like the G3 argument NotBacon keeps making. I would probably expect 3-4 hours of screen on time for the new Moto X.
You mean they added the turbo charging to negate the possible poor battery life?

Qvoth

is OPO still worth getting? i'm going to hongkong in november, thinking of buying a ps4 and OPO then
how's the specs compared to z3?

jey_16

Banned
How much screen on time do you guys expect from phones? I'm happy with 5 hours and most of that is using Chrome on 4G in a poor reception area.

Also, am i the only one that would be happy to spend an extra $100 on a new nexus phone on if google put a bigger battery, better camera and a metal build? No need to cheap out, they should go all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom