• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriitV

How much screen on time do you guys expect from phones? I'm happy with 5 hours and most of that is using Chrome on 4G in a poor reception area.

Currently getting 2h (auto brightness) on a good 3G reception mostly in Chrome.. curse of the Nexus 4. 5h would be a dream.

Toki767

How much screen on time do you guys expect from phones? I'm happy with 5 hours and most of that is using Chrome on 4G in a poor reception area.

Also, am i the only one that would be happy to spend an extra $100 on a new nexus phone on if google put a bigger battery, better camera and a metal build? No need to cheap out, they should go all in.

I get 3-4 hours on auto brightness on my G2, though all I do on my phone is browse the web on Firefox and use Twitter most of the time.

DarkFlow

Banned
I wouldn't touch these fast charge options the new Moto and Note have. Battery's don't like getting charged that fast, and it's going to kill them a lot faster then just a normal charge

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Currently getting 2h (auto brightness) on a good 3G reception mostly in Chrome.. curse of the Nexus 4. 5h would be a dream.

I was easily getting 4+ hours of screen-on time with my N5 running the L preview. I should note that I usually keep the screen brightness rather low, but still. I haven't tested it all that carefully since I went back to KK, but I feel like it's worse now. Others have reported similar things. So it seems like we might indeed be in for a nice bump in battery life once L is released.

3phemeral

Just got this from Chase:

kVCr2hJ.jpg

Am I missing something, or is Apple actually doing it differently? If it's one thing Apple has mastered, it's getting all if these announcements in sync to control how it's perceived on a massive scale.

MarkusRJR

Also, am i the only one that would be happy to spend an extra $100 on a new nexus phone on if google put a bigger battery, better camera and a metal build? No need to cheap out, they should go all in.
I expect a minimum 5h on-screen time per charge (for average use; aka not games). Anything less is unacceptable for a full day/night usage.

Groof

kVCr2hJ.jpg

Am I missing something, or is Apple actually doing it differently? If it's one thing Apple has mastered, it's getting all if these announcements in sync to control how it's perceived on a massive scale.
Wow that trademark logo is huge

Argyle

Ah, that's good to know.

Speaking of Google Wallet, does anyone know why it gets declined at some PayPass terminals?

The vending machines at my work accept NFC payments, it specifically says ISIS and MasterCard PayPass, but when I try to use Google Wallet, no matter if I use my VISA or Amex, the machine says "Mastercard debit cards not allowed".

I hate this fragmented NFC payments shit.

That sucks, I've never tried to use an NFC vending machine, so I have no idea :(

kVCr2hJ.jpg

I wonder what "many Chase credit and debit cards" means...I thought you could use anything as a funding source for Apple Pay? If not, then it's like Isis or early Google Wallet, which is pretty crappy...

I like the 'iKnob' :( it's what I like as a detail in a well-designed watch. Of course the AW is everything but well-designed, and yet that's not where I'd put the blame.

Until I get the chance to evaluate it myself for a period of time, I wouldn’t presume to know either way about the usefulness of it from a design perspective. But that’s not going to happen anytime soon I think as I wouldn’t be caught dead in it in the first place :-D

Jigolo

There's always the excuse of different reviewers for different phones but let's be real... In the iPhone 6 plus review (from iverge) the reviewer will have no issue with the size.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Funnily enough the note 4 has a bigger screen but still just about the same dimensions as the 6+ except shorter and a little bit fatter.

Tommy DJ

Except its a phone littered with problems and the company making the One Plus doesn't really get that phones aren't just a huge spec pissing match.

Altazor

Except its a phone littered with problems and the company making the One Plus doesn't really get that phones aren't just a huge spec pissing match.

would it be too much to ask what are those problems? Not expecting an in-depth reply, I'm just curious. I haven't been keeping up with the OPO 'cause I don't have the chance to get one around here (only phones on contract).

31 articles about Apple on the front page of the Verge might be a bit excessive, but like I said yesterday, it was tech blog Christmas. Let them kids have some fun, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How can an app like pvz2 override the no notifications check box on the app info page? I turn off notifications, then a week later I get a spam notification from the app, and when I look at the check box, it has reset.

Damn it Motorola, I would be all over this phone weren't it for the battery.

Barely getting through 15 hours a day, ugh.

I have last years moto x and I almost always make it through the day. It usually has about 30/40 percent left the next day if I forget to charge at night. With everyone reporting the battery life is better on the new moto I am more than happy. Everyone is different tho and I don't expect my smartphone to last two full days.

reKon

Banned
Looking forward to the Xperia Z3 battery test running on Android L. It will probably shit on nearly all Android phones and the iPhone 6+

Zeppu

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.hangoutsdialer <-- Hangouts dialer intsall. I installed it, told me Hangouts needs to update, but update not available for me yet.

Thanks Googy.

Free voice calling in Hangouts.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blog...OgI/call-me-maybe-introducing-free-voice.html

I can't tell if it calls out using your Google Voice number though.

From Play store link: Connect with your Google Voice number to make VOIP calls in the Hangouts app from your Google Voice number.

mturco

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.hangoutsdialer <-- Hangouts dialer intsall. I installed it, told me Hangouts needs to update, but update not available for me yet.

Thanks Googy.

From Play store link: Connect with your Google Voice number to make VOIP calls in the Hangouts app from your Google Voice number.

The new Hangouts apk can be found here:
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/1...to-hangouts-on-android-new-hangouts-dial-app/

Thanks Googy.

What the heck Google, why are the two Hangouts icons different sizes? How annoying. Hopefully the Hangouts update fixes that.

mturco

I'm in the same boat. Got the Hangouts Dialer, but can't use it until my Hangouts app gets updated. :\

Install the APK I posted above.

Oh and by the way, you can't swipe between the conversation list and conversations anymore. It swipes between contacts, conversations, and the dialer screen now. Which is lame.

cajunator

Banned
My little brother got a One + One phone recently and Im kind of waiting to see how much he likes the phone and if anything goes wrong with it. So far I like it though. But My S4 has been pretty good to me other than the occasionally freezing up/crashing. As long as I keep it reasonably charged it works just fine though.

Sky Chief

To be fair, Apple's security implementation for NFC payments seems great. Retailer gets no actual credit card information, including your name. It's something different, at least.

Yeah, this actually got me pretty excited. Combined with the thumb touch validation this seems to definitely be the best mobile payment system.

SimleuqiR

I don't think you can chose to use your GV # to send SMS on your phone. I've tried to send a new message and at the bottom it shows it will be using my T-mobile #. I have no idea if you can change it to GV.

Edit:

Also, until you get an "port your GV # to hangouts" message I don't think it will work as we expect it. I still have not receive the message to port my # so SMS still working the old fashion way (text forwarding from GV).

HawkeyeIC

I don't think you can chose to use your GV # to send SMS on your phone. I've tried to send a new message and at the bottom it shows it will be using my T-mobile #. I have no idea if you can change it to GV.

Edit:

Also, until you get an "port your GV # to hangouts" message I don't think it will work as we expect it. I still have not receive the message to port my # so SMS still working the old fashion way (text forwarding from GV).

Yea, i still haven't gotten anything asking if i want to merge GV and Hangouts. GV calling works in the app though.

Sky Chief

Waiting on the OnePlus/iPhone 6 comparison graphic. That will certainly make me buy a OnePlus.

Haha, I actually just got my OnePlus One today and I am very happy so far but I was just thinking how crazy it is that a phone with a 1080p 5.5" screen, 64GB of memory, etc..., etc... can cost $350 when a 6+ with the same configuration starts at $399 WITH A TWO YEAR CONTRACT! That is insane.

Haha, I actually just got my OnePlus One today and I am very happy so far but I was just thinking how crazy it is that a phone with a 1080p 5.5" screen, 64GB of memory, etc..., etc... can cost $350 when a 6+ with the same configuration starts at $399 WITH A TWO YEAR CONTRACT! That is insane.

Apple Tax tho. And the 6+ will probably a much more stable phone than the Oneplus anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom