• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can chose to use your GV # to send SMS on your phone. I've tried to send a new message and at the bottom it shows it will be using my T-mobile #. I have no idea if you can change it to GV.

Edit:

Also, until you get an "port your GV # to hangouts" message I don't think it will work as we expect it. I still have not receive the message to port my # so SMS still working the old fashion way (text forwarding from GV).
Yes this is all I want googy pls ;__;

SimleuqiR

Yes this is all I want googy pls ;__;

Based on this image it looks like you will be able to choose which # to use for SMS

NEW-HANGOUTS-MMS.jpg

Looking forward to getting that port pop up.

Haha, I actually just got my OnePlus One today and I am very happy so far but I was just thinking how crazy it is that a phone with a 1080p 5.5" screen, 64GB of memory, etc..., etc... can cost $350 when a 6+ with the same configuration starts at $399 WITH A TWO YEAR CONTRACT! That is insane.

Apple Tax tho. And the 6+ will probably a much more stable phone than the Oneplus anyway.

And I'm going to be the idiot that owns both. Lol

Sky Chief

Apple Tax tho. And the 6+ will probably a much more stable phone than the Oneplus anyway.

Perhaps, it took Apple many months to fix the frequent Safari crashes on the iPad Air though, they can no longer claim "it just works". Also, it is ridiculous that they keep gimping their products with 1GB of RAM.

Quixzlizx

I need a way for GV/Hangouts/whatever (I don't really know how any of it works) to use the type of coverage I have available at the time. For instance, I don't have any cell coverage in my apartment, but I'm hooked up to wifi there. I have spotty data coverage when I'm out and about, but I generally have cell coverage. So I need SMS/calls to prioritize cell, but to go through data if I have no cell coverage. Otherwise, this helps when I'm doing the sending, but will be a total crapshoot when receiving, unless there's a way to flag my "receive" profile using NFC tags so that data is prioritized only when I'm in my apartment.

NotBacon

I have last years moto x and I almost always make it through the day. It usually has about 30/40 percent left the next day if I forget to charge at night. With everyone reporting the battery life is better on the new moto I am more than happy. Everyone is different tho and I don't expect my smartphone to last two full days.

Pretty much this + Android L = I think it'll be just fine.

Still waiting on that mkbhd though....

Bit-Bit

My Z2 is on 4.4.2 currently. How old is that, these days?

The Z2 is a pretty recent phone. Less than 6 months old.

However, the Z1 came out a year ago and still hasn't got 4.4 android yet. (although that's changing soon) A whole year for an update that's about to be outdated as Google gears up to release Android L.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hangouts update is better but I miss the swipe gestures and the new landscape tablet layout is absolutely terrible. Terrible.

Toki767

I don't know if this was added in previous versions, but by far my favorite part of this Hangouts update is the ability to snooze individual conversations rather than everything.

Zeppu

Long press a conversation and just hit the snooze icon. It'll do it for that conversation only.

Ah, turn off notifications, not snooze. Yeah that's been there since day one. It doesn't turn back on automatically. You can even do it from web Gmail/G+ by hitting the gear in the chat window.

Groof

New Hangouts look great, EXCEPT: dark icons + white text? Huge design inconsistency and looks bad. All icons should be white or the text should be dark. And the slide out gesture from within a chat has been removed. Why? It was the most innovative feature of the Hangouts app, that I found myself trying to do it in all other chat apps. It was so good and made so much sense.

I AM however very happy about VoIP calling in Hangouts now, even though it requiring an entirely separate app is the stupidest thing. I have been wanting this feature ever since Hangouts was announced though, so it's a small win. Baby steps as always with Google.

HawkeyeIC

I know these app updates are incremental, but I'm somewhat losing confidence in Google to pull everything together for a consistent UI in the first 'L' build....prove me wrong Goog.

Toki767

I know these app updates are incremental, but I'm somewhat losing confidence in Google to pull everything together for a consistent UI in the first 'L' build....prove me wrong Goog.

Well the new Hangouts app uses Material Design I think. So it really seems like every Google app will get the Material Design update before L even comes out.

Yo how do I fix this shit. Fuck is going on that the OS is eating up so much battery? I have the new firmware and I have done a lot of resets but I still get this. Horrendous.

If I had to guess, you probably have a lot of location services going on all the time. Install Wake Lock Detector or Better Battery Stats and see what keeps waking up your phone.

Tried calling my mother's and sister's cell phones through Hangouts with the update and they both said they couldn't hear me and that the sound was distorted. Also don't have voicemail so I'm guessing they haven't "flipped the switch" on my account.

The app looks great too. Much better than before.

NotBacon

I don't expect much more than that honestly.

After watching the developer sessions from I/O it's obvious the engineers at Google have been working their asses off for over a year and will continue to bring improvements through the release date.

I'd say there's a good chance it'll get better.....

Well the new Hangouts app uses Material Design I think. So it really seems like every Google app will get the Material Design update before L even comes out.

If I had to guess, you probably have a lot of location services going on all the time. Install Wake Lock Detector or Better Battery Stats and see what keeps waking up your phone.

I don't think so. It's on battery saving. I guess I could try turning it off for a day and see how that affects it, but I'm thinking it's somewhere else.

spwolf

Sony is terrible at updating their phones to the latest version of Android. They're too busy working on the next phone that will release in 6 months.

Thats just not true... probably the fastest manufacturer right now. You are like 1-2 years old with the info.

Z just got 4.4.4 update and thats pretty old phone too.

Toki767

I don't think so. It's on battery saving. I guess I could try turning it off for a day and see how that affects it, but I'm thinking it's somewhere else.

Battery saving just means it doesn't use the GPS. It does not mean location services like Google Now or whatever apps that refresh to find your location even when your phone is idle stop doing it.

SO GLAD THAT GOOGLE VOICE IS FINALLY DYING!

I still can't seem to answer calls through the Hangouts dialer, even calls dialed to my Hangouts/GV number. Is there a setting I'm missing, or will all incoming calls need to be answered with the regular dialer?

SimleuqiR

SO GLAD THAT GOOGLE VOICE IS FINALLY DYING!

I still can't seem to answer calls through the Hangouts dialer, even calls dialed to my Hangouts/GV number. Is there a setting I'm missing, or will all incoming calls need to be answered with the regular dialer?

Did you get a prompt to port over your GV# into Hangouts?
I think that's what's really missing. My account has not giving the option to import yet.

There is a setting in the app for "Incoming phone Calls"

"ring hangouts for incoming phone calls made to your Google voice number".

Did you get a prompt to port over your GV# into Hangouts?
I think that's what's really missing. My account has not giving the option to import yet.

There is a setting in the app for "Incoming phone Calls"

"ring hangouts for incoming phone calls made to your Google voice number".

Nope, I never got the prompt, but I did download the new Hangouts APK. I'm guessing I still have to wait for that prompt to fully merge the two?

EDIT: I found the incoming call setting, but I still haven't been given the prompt to import GV messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom