• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizific

so my GS3 has been pissing me off these past weeks and ive been looking for a phone to upgrade too. what are you guys' opinions on the g3 vs m8?

TTOOLL

Sky Chief

I just setup my new OnePlus One today but whenever I install Google Voice all my texts start getting sent from my Google Voice number in Hangouts or Messages. I am totally stumped. In GV under sync I do NOT have it setup for GV messages to go through my text app. Please help.

EDIT: Fixed it, activated Voice+ by mistake

malyce

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8515/quick-look-at-core-m-5y70-and-llama-mountain

NpStLHe.png

Intel coming for that ass.

NotBacon

Yoooo some of these designs and animations...yes lawd.

I need Android L, stat. I really hope developers jump on this quick. There's already way more excitement for it than there was for holo.

https://dribbble.com/search?q=Material+Design

Yep, and the general public (and even most the peeps on gaf) is oblivious. When people suddenly get the final product on a new phone it's going to hit them like a brick wall of awesome.

Yep, and the general public (and even most the peeps on gaf) is oblivious. When people suddenly get the final product on a new phone it's going to hit them like a brick wall of awesome.
Really? I think they're just going to be spending their time in a) the Facebook app b) whatever ugly messaging app they're using or c) a similarly ugly TouchWiz app. I really don't think the mass market Android user pays attention to the fluidity and aesthetic of the phone OS or some of the better designed apps. I haven't even seen any average user take advantage of Recents for multitasking.

I'm using the L theme with CyanogenMod and I love the look. Can't wait to get the final product on my S4.

NotBacon

Really? I think they're just going to be spending their time in a) the Facebook app b) whatever ugly messaging app they're using or c) a similarly ugly TouchWiz app. I really don't think the mass market Android user pays attention to the fluidity and aesthetic of the phone OS or some of the better designed apps. I haven't even seen any average user take advantage of Recents for multitasking.

This is sadly slightly closer to the truth :/

I'm using the L theme with CyanogenMod and I love the look. Can't wait to get the final product on my S4.

I'm curious as to how Samesung is going to muck up L...

This is sadly slightly closer to the truth :/

As long as they update the icons and redo the messaging app it wouldn't be too bad. I installed a Touchwiz rom the other day on my S4 just to test it out and that lasted about a day before I went back to a stock android rom. It's so clunky.

3phemeral

Huh. I finally got Hangouts' Google Voice integration to work. I installed the new Hangouts APK on my partner's phone and didn't get the GV prompt like others here were. Decided to install it on the wifi-only tablet and strangely enough, got the GV prompt even though the phone with the same account didn't have it still. Decided to, rather than wait for the prompt, just search for Google Voice Dialer in the Play Store, install it, and viola, it works.

Or maybe that's what I was supposed to do in the begining but it seemed everyone here was just getting an automatic download link.

Altazor

I'd wager it's gonna be a mess without a clear, consistent design. In other words, it's gonna be a slight upgrade to current Touchwiz but not different enough so it will especially clash with the apps that were redesigned with Material Design in mind. Or it could be a hit, dunno. Maybe, for the first time. The new Touchwiz was a step in the right direction, maybe they will finally create the sleek, beautiful UI a flagship phone deserves.

I don't keep my hopes up, anyway.

Nicktendo86

I'd wager it's gonna be a mess without a clear, consistent design. In other words, it's gonna be a slight upgrade to current Touchwiz but not different enough so it will especially clash with the apps that were redesigned with Material Design in mind. Or it could be a hit, dunno. Maybe, for the first time. The new Touchwiz was a step in the right direction, maybe they will finally create the sleek, beautiful UI a flagship phone deserves.

I don't keep my hopes up, anyway.

It looks like they are trying to add material touches to the note 4, so hopefully they are going to try and be more consistent from now on. Believe it when I see it though.

keezy

Got my OnePlus One last night. Trying to get used to the nuances that comes with using cyanogenmod. Overall I'm pleased. Except StreakForTheCash doesn't work....

NotBacon

As long as they update the icons and redo the messaging app it wouldn't be too bad. I installed a Touchwiz rom the other day on my S4 just to test it out and that lasted about a day before I went back to a stock android rom. It's so clunky.

It's not even just the UI, the entire system seems like it was built to be confusing as possible. 15 options in the pull down, 15 quick settings, random settings menu organization, Samsung apps clashing with Gapps, capacitive menu button, cluttered app drawer, etc.

It's a fucking nightmare and this is the type of phone new users purchase...

For those that have the prompt to merge Hangouts + Voice, what happens if you decline? Is there an option in settings to do it again or something?

I still haven't gotten mine but now I'm paranoid I accidentally dismissed it or something.

I really hope L convinces the OEMs to cut down on the oppressiveness of their skins. It would be a shame for such a lovely OS design to be completely hidden from the majority of Android users.

I don't understand why so many OEMs almost completely cover up stock Android. You can still add your own unique features without cloaking the OS' original aesthetics. And obviously you can still set your phone apart through hardware design. What purpose do these skins really serve?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope L convinces the OEMs to cut down on the oppressiveness of their skins. It would be a shame for such a lovely OS design to be completely hidden from the majority of Android users.

I don't understand why so many OEMs almost completely cover up stock Android. You can still add your own unique features without cloaking the OS' original aesthetics. And obviously you can still set your phone apart through hardware design. What purpose do these skins really serve?

I think it's just a legacy of when Android looked like crap.

I don't think you'll get Samsung to stop but everyone else might decided it's not worth the effort because L looks good and it's what people actually want.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Hardware design gets covered up day one with cases. And the average consumer does not read specs. So software is the sole differentiation. That said, I wish OEMs would come up with nice widgets and apps that ride alongside Android, rather than full blown skins.

teiresias

So question for those of you that have done the Hangouts/Voice integration. Can you pick to make a call using regular voice network rather than VoIP with the hangouts dialer or do you have to open the regular dialer to do that? If you have to juggle between dialers how does that work when answering calls - which dialer pops up by default?

I'm just wondering if my phone will be trying to make VoIP the default behavior even when I'm in an area of questionable data network coverage (but have voice coverage fine).

Volotaire

Just looked at the Moto 360 a bit more since I ignored it when it was revealed. It looks better than other smartwatches. Although, it still looks slightly odd and seems a bit bulky. Add to the fact that I'm still not convinced on any smartwatches. The side button on the 360 similar to the Apple digital crown seems to be be the right direction for input for them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not even just the UI, the entire system seems like it was built to be confusing as possible. 15 options in the pull down, 15 quick settings, random settings menu organization, Samsung apps clashing with Gapps, capacitive menu button, cluttered app drawer, etc.

It's a fucking nightmare and this is the type of phone new users purchase...

Yeah, that's a major reason why I would never even consider a Samsung phone in their current state. Google has made a pretty solid effort creating consistent Android design guidelines and a clean stock look the last couple of years (and this seems to be taken to the next level with L), but Samsung just keeps shitting all over that with their inconsistent mess of ugly clashing UI elements and useless bloatware. Yuck. And unfortunately that's the Android experience the majority of consumers get. A damn shame that the most successful OEM is the one that's the worst with this stuff..

They did finally get rid of the menu key though (years after it was made deprecated and obsolete). But they still refuse to put the damn keys in the right order.

So question for those of you that have done the Hangouts/Voice integration. Can you pick to make a call using regular voice network rather than VoIP with the hangouts dialer or do you have to open the regular dialer to do that? If you have to juggle between dialers how does that work when answering calls - which dialer pops up by default?

I'm just wondering if my phone will be trying to make VoIP the default behavior even when I'm in an area of questionable data network coverage (but have voice coverage fine).

Yeah, I have similar concerns.

As long as I'm in my home territory I'm fine. VOIP calls through Hangouts should always work flawlessly.

But I'm on the T-Mo $30 plan, meaning my data coverage outside of metro areas is very poor.

When I first made a call to my GV number after setting up the Hangouts VOIP calling, it rang both through Hangouts and the regular dialer, so I had to go into Google Voice and disable the call forwarding.

Will I need to turn the call forwarding back on when I know I'm going to be in bad data territory? Will Hangouts still try to send VOIP calls to me when I'm in a 2G area?

I'm a bit confused about how Google is going to juggle this stuff.

Husker86

If you make a call in Hangouts, it will go through VOIP.

I turned off my Google Voice forwarding to my cell number, so I can't tell you how incoming calls work. Honestly, I was worried about that myself, which is why I turned the forwarding off. Would be easy enough to test though. I don't use GV as my main number, so this way was more convenient for me.

Will I need to turn the call forwarding back on when I know I'm going to be in bad data territory? Will Hangouts still try to send VOIP calls to me when I'm in a 2G area?

I'm a bit confused about how Google is going to juggle this stuff.

Yes to both. If you have forwarding turned off, Google isn't going to auto-enable it for you if it thinks you lost data connection.

Can you just turn forwarding back on and pick which dialer to answer? lol

I am noticing something weird, though. I have forwarding turned off but I get a call to my GV it comes in as a normal phone call; if I decline it the Hangouts ringer pops up. Doesn't always happen though. I don't get many calls to my GV to give a complete explanation.

Can you just turn forwarding back on and pick which dialer to answer? lol.
If necessary, yes. Both dialers pop up - Hangouts first, followed by the standard dialer - but I can decline the call on the standard dialer and then pick it up on the Hangouts dialer. It's clunky, but it's doable. I'd only do this if I knew I were going to be venturing into a poor data coverage area, though.

On a related note, is 2G adequate for VOIP calls? I don't know enough about the data requirements/consumption of VOIP to know if it's sufficient.

thespot84

If necessary, yes. Both dialers pop up - Hangouts first, followed by the standard dialer - but I can decline the call on the standard dialer and then pick it up on the Hangouts dialer. It's clunky, but it's doable. I'd only do this if I knew I were going to be venturing into a poor data coverage area, though.

On a related note, is 2G adequate for VOIP calls? I don't know enough about the data requirements/consumption of VOIP to know if it's sufficient.

in raw Kbps probably but I'd be worried about it on 2g without QoS to prioritize the data.

teiresias

Yeah that is pretty clunky, I may put up with it though to be able to better manage the limited minutes on the $30 T-Mobile account (though I frequently hit the 5GB limit too, but that's because I've been streaming alot of music over Play Music the past few months for some reason, haha, just bored in the car).

I guess I'll just have to see which is the best way to do it. I think on the $30 plan it's easier to manage the minutes than the data since you can just add more money your account to cover any minute overages, but once you're throttled on the data you're throttled for good the rest of the month and can't even renew the $30 plan early to get unthrottled.

in raw Kbps probably but I'd be worried about it on 2g without QoS to prioritize the data.

Got it. So I'm probably better off taking the call through the regular dialer when I'm in a 2G area. I'd rather eat into my 100 monthly minutes that risk dropping the call.

Yeah that is pretty clunky, I may put up with it though to be able to better manage the limited minutes on the $30 T-Mobile account (though I frequently hit the 5GB limit too, but that's because I've been streaming alot of music over Play Music the past few months for some reason, haha, just bored in the car).

I guess I'll just have to see which is the best way to do it. I think on the $30 plan it's easier to manage the minutes than the data since you can just add more money your account to cover any minute overages, but once you're throttled on the data you're throttled for good the rest of the month and can't even renew the $30 plan early to get unthrottled.

Speaking of which, what is the actual data consumption like with VOIP calling?

Like, say I have a 20 minute call. How much data would that consume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom