• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
It begins!

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/09/first-set-of-android-apps-coming-to.html

Chromebooks were designed to keep up with you on the go—they’re thin and light, have long battery lives, resume instantly, and are easy to use. Today, we're making Chromebooks even more mobile by bringing the first set of Android apps to Chrome OS:

Duolingo - a fun and free way to learn a new language before your next trip
Evernote - write, collect and find what matters to you, with a full-size keyboard and touchscreen
Sight Words - a delightful way for you to help improve your child's reading skills
Vine - create short, beautiful, looping videos in a simple and fun way

These first apps are the result of a project called the App Runtime for Chrome (Beta), which we announced earlier this summer at Google I/O. Over the coming months, we’ll be working with a select group of Android developers to add more of your favorite apps so you’ll have a more seamless experience across your Android phone and Chromebook.

In the meantime, please tell us which of your favorite Android apps you’d like to see on your Chromebook.

thespot84

Got it. So I'm probably better off taking the call through the regular dialer when I'm in a 2G area. I'd rather eat into my 100 monthly minutes that risk dropping the call.

Speaking of which, what is the actual data consumption like with VOIP calling?

Like, say I have a 20 minute call. How much data would that consume?

anywhere from 3-8 megabytes

yogloo

I just installed x halo floating Windows on my Note 2. I'm really impressed with how this phone keeps giving. It managed to even convince a small part of me (really tiny though) that I don't need any upgrade currently.

The more I think about it, the more Motorola seems like a startup. They come off as a young company with the way they show off their products and how genuinely excited they seem to be. Google should've kept them around. F'n idiots.

NotBacon

OK my OPO battery is still ass so I give up.

OPO battery = 3100mah
Moto X battery = 2300mah

OPO battery = ass
Moto X battery = acceptable

I think this is a good example of how much of a difference software makes in battery life. People can complain all day how small 2300mah is, including me because I'm still pissed, but you have to admit the engineers over at Moto are wizards. They also have an ace up their sleeve because they designed it with L in mind.

Hopefully OnePlus figures their shit out.

lol. Good review that basically falls in line with what other's have said. Weak camera(s), average battery life (will get you through your day) but everything else is A+ stuff.

Really? The pictures I've seen so far look great. I mean the low-light ones are underwhelming but that's what flash is for....

When I had a Opo before battery life was awesome. If you are having battery issues you probably have apps creating wake locks. I suggest rooting and installing greenify.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Please someone make a Chromebook that doesn't have a fatal flaw.

Blablurn

When I had a Opo before battery life was awesome. If you are having battery issues you probably have apps creating wake locks. I suggest rooting and installing greenify.

It's a long time since I had an Android phone with THOSE problems. Too bad some One Plus phones still have to deal with that.

Hasney

There's something fucked up in the OPO software when that guy posted his battery screenshot and had Android System above screen. Hope they fix it soon.

EDIT: According to XDA, it's having WiFi on killing the battery and it'll be fixed in an update.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Will the Xperia Z3 get Android L?

Also I asked in the other thread but unsure if anyone will respond, but trying to remain objective, how does the iPhone 6 Plus stack up against the Z3?

komplanen

HELP!

So far my touch screen smart phone history is...

iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

It all of a sudden occurred to me that maybe I should re-evaluate if there's any reason being on the Apple camp. I'm looking at the iPhone 6 and there's just some nagging voice in my head saying it's an expensive phone and justifying it is hard when there's obviously better ones for the same price. Here's a short list of pros and cons I did after like 15 minutes of research:

Xperia Z3
+ nicer screen
+ faster guts
+ waterproof
+ PS4 remote play
+ chromecast screen mirroring if I buy a 30€ chromecast (instead of 100€ AppleTV) (Or is it just in Android L?)
+ current deal is pre-orders get a 120€ Sony headset for free
+ Chrome as default browser
- ??? (Most likely tons of annoyances I won't be used to and know nothing about)

iPhone 6
+ I'm used to it
+ Looks a little better (only one port and no flippy floppy port covers)
- Apple stuff I don't like (but at least I have gotten used to these, like lack of customization and some small annoyances)

I'm so afraid. What if I like Android better? What if it's a complete shit show and I don't like it? I don't associate myself with or define myself by any product so any philosophical differences or street creds don't interest me.

There's something fucked up in the OPO software when that guy posted his battery screenshot and had Android System above screen. Hope they fix it soon.

EDIT: According to XDA, it's having WiFi on killing the battery and it'll be fixed in an update.

Franco just released a new version of his kernel that fixes some battery issues and updated the touch screen driver. I'd recommend rooting and using it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
HELP!

iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

It all of a sudden occurred to me that maybe I should re-evaluate if there's any reason being on the Apple camp. I'm looking at the iPhone 6 and there's just some nagging voice in my head saying it's an expensive phone and justifying it is hard when there's obviously better ones for the same price. Here's a short list of pros and cons I did after like 15 minutes of research:

Xperia Z3
+ nicer screen
+ faster guts
+ waterproof
+ PS4 remote play
+ chromecast screen mirroring if I buy a 30€ chromecast (instead of 100€ AppleTV) (Or is it just in Android L?)
- ??? (Most likely tons of annoyances I won't be used to and know nothing about)

iPhone 6
+ I'm used to it
- Apple stuff I don't like (but at least I have gotten used to these, like lack of customization and some small annoyances)

I'm so afraid. What if I like Android better? What if it's a complete shit show and I don't like it? I don't associate myself with or define myself by any product so any philosophical differences or street creds don't interest me.

Just get the Z3. If you don't like it, oh well. It's only a phone and a new one will eventually come around.

HELP!

iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

Xperia Z3
+ nicer screen
+ faster guts
+ waterproof
+ PS4 remote play

iPhone 6
+ I'm used to it

If it works on your carrier, I'd definitely go for the Z3. Basically the best all around phone on the market, period. Size, features, quality and so on. Just fucking good.

this_guy

OPO battery = 3100mah
Moto X battery = 2300mah

OPO battery = ass
Moto X battery = acceptable

I think this is a good example of how much of a difference software makes in battery life. People can complain all day how small 2300mah is, including me because I'm still pissed, but you have to admit the engineers over at Moto are wizards. They also have an ace up their sleeve because they designed it with L in mind.

Hopefully OnePlus figures their shit out.

Really? The pictures I've seen so far look great. I mean the low-light ones are underwhelming but that's what flash is for....

OPO has pretty good battery life http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-review-1101p3.php

kharma45

Wonder if that's what's killing mine.

belvedere

Junior Butler

My OPO battery life is awesome right now. I did experience the wake lock issue (Android System) causing excessive drain within 24 hours of flashing 33r, but for whatever reason that has went away on its own. I haven't changed anything.

Volotaire

HELP!

iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

Xperia Z3
+ nicer screen
+ faster guts
+ waterproof
+ PS4 remote play

iPhone 6
+ I'm used to it

Other negs would be

- you won't have 'it just works' OS with iOS as much with Android
- Compatibility with other Mac devices might be slightly annoying to solve (ecosystem problems)
- slightly less smooth experience (but probably most consumers wont notice)
- Personal (UI and icons looks a bit odd compared to Sense UI)
- Glass could crack easily, although it is tempered
- 16GB for apps only (I'm not sure how app heavy of a user you are) but has SD expansion for consumption needs

Compared to other Android flagships

- Front facing speakers not as good as HTC (but better than all other flagships)
- Updates will be less timely than Nexus or other OEM (especially for the big one Android L)

+ A positive you missed, it has an insane battery life. (very very good)
+ Very simplistic UI which is closest to Stock Android
+ Looks fantastic
+ Dedicated camera button

Why not wait and try it in store?

EDIT: Oh you can;t wait and try it in store, try to look at as much comparison videos of it. Also, look at Z2 reviews since the Z3 is an evolution of the Z2.

Bboy AJ

This exists. There are some new models with Intel procs and decent screen rez. They just haven't gotten the price down yet to C720 level aka 200 bones.

Build quality? Trackpad? Screen? From that Verge article, C270P seemed the best but it's still not without fault. It needs a better screen.

HELP!

iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

Xperia Z3
+ nicer screen
+ faster guts
+ waterproof
+ PS4 remote play

iPhone 6
+ I'm used to it

you seem to have carefully thought this decision out. get the Z3.

Tc91

So I just installed a update on my S4, I'm on Cyanogenmod and when the phone rebooted it came up with a few errors: 'Google play store has stopped working' 'Google play services has stopped working' and what not, cleared the cache/data rebooted.

Play Store said it couldn't connect so I Googled around and saw a few people saying remove the Google account and re add it. Did that and now I can't add back my account, when I press add account and then Google it does absolutely nothing. Now all my apps are fucked like Gmail/Play Store etc.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Bboy AJ

you seem to have carefully thought this decision out. get the Z3.

Unprecedented. Also komplanen, carefully consider if you want to heed advice from someone getting a regular Note over the Edge.

So I just installed a update on my S4, I'm on Cyanogenmod and when the phone rebooted it came up with a few errors: 'Google play store has stopped working' 'Google play services has stopped working' and what not, cleared the cache/data rebooted.

Play Store said it couldn't connect so I Googled around and saw a few people saying remove the Google account and re add it. Did that and now I can't add back my account, when I press add account and then Google it does absolutely nothing. Now all my apps are fucked like Gmail/Play Store etc.

Try clearing Google Play Services app data.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, the new Hangouts update is pretty bad. It looks worse (some of the Material-ish changes are fine, but the mix of black and white text and icons looks bad), you can no longer swipe to get to the conversation list (which is much more important than being able to swipe to some general contacts page), etc. Not happy with this at all.

- you won't have 'it just works' OS with iOS as much with Android

This might have been true at one point, but I don't think it is anymore. 99% of everything any regular user might want to do absolutely "just works", and modern Android is very user-friendly. The view of iOS as easy to use and Android as some complicated mess for nerds is severely outdated.

Wow, the new Hangouts update is pretty bad. It looks worse (some of the Material-ish changes are fine, but the mix of black and white text and icons looks bad), you can no longer swipe to get to the conversation list (which is much more important than being able to swipe to some general contacts page), etc. Not happy with this at all.

Uhh, yeah you can.

try inst alling the latest gapps package?

Groof

It's very all over the place in terms of design. It feels very unfinished. But a big thing like dark icons + white text is a really strange miss to make.

Uhh, yeah you can.
Uhh, no you can't.

Eanan

OK my OPO battery is still ass so I give up.

Are you on the latest software? Have you rooted and installed Greenify?

This is what im currently on, which I consider to be good battery life.

Im running Greenify with xposed module. Lots of apps greenfield.

Cgn39ful.png

I turned off some keep awake function on my OPO so I'm hoping that will make it better. Won't really find out till tomorrow when I start over. So frustrating.

Even pundits who are typically Apple's biggest cheerleaders seemed a bit sheepish after the big revelations yesterday – embarrassed at their part in a ritual which demeans both themselves and their audience.

As for the industry of Apple of imitators and bandwagon-jumpers – well, what are they to do, now? Now that Apple is imitating them, and jumping on their bandwagons? This morning the vast consumer electronics industry has a feel of recursion, of tail-chasing, and hoping for the best.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/10/apple_iphone_6_watch_little_better_electronic_perfume/

Hasney

Unprecedented. Also komplanen, carefully consider if you want to heed advice from someone getting a regular Note over the Edge.

I agree. Someone who picks a regular Note over the Edge should have their opions taken seriously, as they have fine taste.

NotBacon

Franco just released a new version of his kernel that fixes some battery issues and updated the touch screen driver. I'd recommend rooting and using it.

You shouldn't have to do all that to achieve the battery life other people are achieving by doing nothing.

Considering switching from iOS, is the S5 a pretty good deal at $80?

Depends, can you live with TouchWiz? If so, that's a pretty good deal.

Please someone make a Chromebook that doesn't have a fatal flaw.

What's wrong with the C720P?

->

Software, how does it work?

Volotaire

This might have been true at one point, but I don't think it is anymore. 99% of everything any regular user might want to do absolutely "just works", and modern Android is very user-friendly. The view of iOS as easy to use and Android as some complicated mess for nerds is severely outdated.

True, but I'm talking relative to iOS, not absolute terms.

Aesius

So...I still have a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and desperately want a new phone.

The new Moto X looks awesome, and after playing around with my gf's S3 and S5, I don't think I can deal with an Android skin. I love stock way too much.

Should I just go ahead and get the X or wait for something like the Z3?

I mean, I've waited SO damn long because I wanted a phone that would really blow me away, but it seems like the X is still sort of "meh" specs-wise, while the Z3 looks pretty impressive.

What do, GAF?

Groof

So...I still have a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and desperately want a new phone.

The new Moto X looks awesome, and after playing around with my gf's S3 and S5, I don't think I can deal with an Android skin. I love stock way too much.

Should I just go ahead and get the X or wait for something like the Z3?

I mean, I've waited SO damn long because I wanted a phone that would really blow me away, but it seems like the X is still sort of "meh" specs-wise, while the Z3 looks pretty impressive.

What do, GAF?
You've waited this long, wait a bit longer and see what Google announces. Shouldn't be further than 1-2 months away, but all signs point to next month at the latest.

Otherwise the Z3 really seems like an incredible offering, can't go wrong with it. Moto X is great if you want an extremely solid phone with some handy features, but you're willing to make a slight sacrifice in battery life compared to the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom