• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

So...I still have a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and desperately want a new phone.

The new Moto X looks awesome, and after playing around with my gf's S3 and S5, I don't think I can deal with an Android skin. I love stock way too much.

Should I just go ahead and get the X or wait for something like the Z3?

I mean, I've waited SO damn long because I wanted a phone that would really blow me away, but it seems like the X is still sort of "meh" specs-wise, while the Z3 looks pretty impressive.

What do, GAF?

There's nothing "meh" about the X specs-wise. And honestly if you're just looking at spec you're doing it wrong. It's more about the software these days.

Moto Display + Moto Voice + Moto Actions = get the Moto X.

Z3 looks like a solid phone too, but I slightly worry about updates with Sony and I'm not sure how their L UI is going to look.

The new Moto X looks awesome, and after playing around with my gf's S3 and S5, I don't think I can deal with an Android skin. I love stock way too much.

I mean, I've waited SO damn long because I wanted a phone that would really blow me away, but it seems like the X is still sort of "meh" specs-wise, while the Z3 looks pretty impressive.

What do, GAF?
Z3 is still skinned and full of Sony apps and the specs are actually quite similar.

the Z3 has more RAM, higher MP camera, a SD slot, a bigger battery and is water and dust resistant but X-14 comes with double the storage standard.

if you really want stock that bad, get the X-14. all the top phones have been announced this year.

catmincer

What do, GAF?

Sony are pretty good at updates now, especially for flagship phones. Never buy anything but a flagship from them though.

NotBacon

HELP!

So far my touch screen smart phone history is...

iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

It all of a sudden occurred to me that maybe I should re-evaluate if there's any reason being on the Apple camp. I'm looking at the iPhone 6 and there's just some nagging voice in my head saying it's an expensive phone and justifying it is hard when there's obviously better ones for the same price. Here's a short list of pros and cons I did after like 15 minutes of research:

Xperia Z3
+ nicer screen
+ faster guts
+ waterproof
+ PS4 remote play
+ chromecast screen mirroring if I buy a 30€ chromecast (instead of 100€ AppleTV) (Or is it just in Android L?)
+ current deal is pre-orders get a 120€ Sony headset for free
+ Chrome as default browser
- ??? (Most likely tons of annoyances I won't be used to and know nothing about)

iPhone 6
+ I'm used to it
+ Looks a little better (only one port and no flippy floppy port covers)
- Apple stuff I don't like (but at least I have gotten used to these, like lack of customization and some small annoyances)

I'm so afraid. What if I like Android better? What if it's a complete shit show and I don't like it? I don't associate myself with or define myself by any product so any philosophical differences or street creds don't interest me.

Just get the Z3, it doesn't really have any flaws.
And it's just a phone, you tap icons and it does things. It'll probably take you about a week to get used to it, and a couple of weeks to realize the full potential of the platform. You can make it as simple as an iphone, or as complicated as a mini-PC, your choice.

Other negs would be

- you won't have 'it just works' OS with iOS as much with Android
- Compatibility with other Mac devices might be slightly annoying to solve (ecosystem problems)
- slightly less smooth experience (but probably most consumers wont notice)

- Yes you will
- ? Any android phone should work with a mac out of the box through MTP.
- No (and even more No when L is released)

Keyouta

What do, GAF?

Same, my GN is slow, and now I'm trying to decide between the Note 4 and Z3. The Note 4 has the pen and multitasking, but the Z3 has waterproofing and neat PS4 streaming. Maybe the next Nexus, but the USB port on my phone is garbage so I want to replace soon.

Though with Telus probably not getting the Z3, it makes my choice easier. I'd consider the Moto X but I really want a good battery life.

Volotaire

Just get the Z3, it doesn't really have any flaws.
And it's just a phone, you tap icons and it does things. It'll probably take you about a week to get used to it, and a couple of weeks to realize the full potential of the platform. You can make it as simple as an iphone, or as complicated as a mini-PC, your choice.

- Yes you will
- ? Any android phone should work with a mac out of the box through MTP.
- No (and even more No when L is released)

- I am taking relative minor differences. Android works out of the box for the average consumer . But Apple will always be the most user friendly, even if Android is leaps and bounds beyond what it used to be. Plus, these are all such minor differences.
- Of course, but when you want to sync Apple calendar with your google reminders, it's a bit convoluted.
- I've experienced a few hitches on my One M7. There are times I wish it was a bit smoother. An iPhone is bound to be a smoother experience due to optimisation.

These are all very minor differences here. I still quite like iOS, so that may be a factor in it.

NotBacon

- I am taking relative minor differences. Android works out of the box for the average consumer , yes. But Apple will always be the most user friendly, even if Android is leaps and bounds beyond what it used to be and if there are minor differences b
- Of course, but when you want to sync Apple calendar with your google reminders, it's a bit convoluted.
- I've experienced a few hitches on my One M7. There are times I wish it was a bit smoother. An iPhone is bound to be a smoother experience due to optimisation.

These are all very minor differences here. I still quite like iOS, so that may be a factor in it.

- Personally I think iOS is confusing. Everything is vague and I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

- Well that's why you use Google Calendar :p Yeah the only annoying thing I would say is the initial migration to Android.

- I should have mentioned I was only talking about Nexus and Nexus-like phones. A lot of other phones (including the One M7) are almost there, but Nexus and Nexus-like phones are there.

Same, my GN is slow, and now I'm trying to decide between the Note 4 and Z3. The Note 4 has the pen and multitasking, but the Z3 has waterproofing and neat PS4 streaming. Maybe the next Nexus, but the USB port on my phone is garbage so I want to replace soon.

Though with Telus probably not getting the Z3, it makes my choice easier. I'd consider the Moto X but I really want a good battery life.

*hi-5*

Note 4

Furyous

HELP!

So far my touch screen smart phone history is...

iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 5

It all of a sudden occurred to me that maybe I should re-evaluate if there's any reason being on the Apple camp. I'm looking at the iPhone 6 and there's just some nagging voice in my head saying it's an expensive phone and justifying it is hard when there's obviously better ones for the same price. Here's a short list of pros and cons I did after like 15 minutes of research:

Xperia Z3
+ nicer screen
+ faster guts
+ waterproof
+ PS4 remote play
+ chromecast screen mirroring if I buy a 30€ chromecast (instead of 100€ AppleTV) (Or is it just in Android L?)
+ current deal is pre-orders get a 120€ Sony headset for free
+ Chrome as default browser
- ??? (Most likely tons of annoyances I won't be used to and know nothing about)

iPhone 6
+ I'm used to it
+ Looks a little better (only one port and no flippy floppy port covers)
- Apple stuff I don't like (but at least I have gotten used to these, like lack of customization and some small annoyances)

I'm so afraid. What if I like Android better? What if it's a complete shit show and I don't like it? I don't associate myself with or define myself by any product so any philosophical differences or street creds don't interest me.

We have the same smartphone history save for the fact that I couldn't deal with the 3G. You need to add to your list in my opinion. Check out the LG G3, GS5, Oppo Find 7/7a, HTC M8, Galaxy Note, OnePlus One, and insert 2014 Android flagship.

You have to think long-term with Android. Three years from now what could you regret about buying this phone? Is it the camera? Is it the screen size? Is it the speaker quality? Don't be afraid to read as many reviews as you can. The LG, Oppo, M8 (if you can get over the camera) and Galaxy Note should last you three years easily. The gripes about the M8 is a personal thing so I can't say that's an issue unless you use the device and feel it's an issue. Go into a store and try these phones out is my advice.

*EDIT*

Give the Z3 a try but understand that they release flagship smartphones twice a year. There's a chance you can deal with this so try the Z3 as well.

vivftp

Compared to other Android flagships

- HTC's LCD screen is better
- Front facing speakers not as good as HTC (but better than all other flagships)

Are you certain about these? The Z3 seems like a large jump over the Z2 in these departments. Here's an article regarding the screen of the Z3 from a site who managed to measure some of its values:

http://translate.google.de/translat...ria-z3-test-son-ecran-5-2-full-hd-n35898.html

Here's what they had to say (translated to English):

"Sony continues on the path of IPS Triluminos slab LED phosphor inducted on the Xperia Z2. It already offers a beautiful display while still perfectible. For Xperia Z3, it must be recognized that the engineers of the firm transpired for a beneficial outcome. The overall quality of the display is enhanced with high contrast through 1202: 1 and above an impressive maximum brightness of 693 cd / m²! A brightness greater than 75% of Xperia Z2. What ensure readability outdoors in most conditions, except of course with direct sunlight."

The HTC One M8 does seem to have the upper hand in responsiveness though:

"And even if the responsiveness of the panel does not reach the tenors of the sector (80 ms delay touch here for 46 ms on a HTC One M8), it remains largely satisfied before this screen balanced, generous in the dark and ensuring a beautiful picture to watch videos."

As for audio, there's not much yet, but here's an actual video comparison between the M8 and Z3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxaHx3xwCX0

At abou 10:40 they do a speaker test and to my ear the Z3 is not only louder, but clearer with better highs and lows. Too bad the test was so short. Either way, the fact that Sony can produce speakers of this quality despite the phones waterproof nature is absolutely amazing.

teiresias

Yeah that is pretty clunky, I may put up with it though to be able to better manage the limited minutes on the $30 T-Mobile account (though I frequently hit the 5GB limit too, but that's because I've been streaming alot of music over Play Music the past few months for some reason, haha, just bored in the car).

I guess I'll just have to see which is the best way to do it. I think on the $30 plan it's easier to manage the minutes than the data since you can just add more money your account to cover any minute overages, but once you're throttled on the data you're throttled for good the rest of the month and can't even renew the $30 plan early to get unthrottled.

To follow-up on my own query, I just had the Hangouts update (and a Google Voice update) pushed to my phone when I left the gym.

The new Hangouts app needed to confirm my phone number listed in the settings (which was my Google Voice number and NOT my T-Mobile phone number), but I've gotten no explicit "Link your Voice and Hangouts" pop-up yet . . . however, I am able to use the new dialer.

The Hangouts Dialer explicitly lets me choose to either make a VoIP call or call over the cellular network when I pull up a contact (once I choose to make a call and not start a hangout via a Gmail account). Making a call over VoIP shows up as coming from my Google Voice number (I know this because I called a friend over data who immediately texted me back that she couldn't talk, so she knew it was me and sent the text back to my GV number, the only number she knows for me) - however, I've not tested what happens when I choose to make a call via the cellular network.

My assumption is that it WOULD NOT use my Google Voice number over the cellular network because I still cannot send or receive texts using my Google Voice number in Hangouts, the only option I have is to send them out via my T-Mobile Number even though the app KNOWS my GV number. All texts to my GV number are still being sent to the Voice app and not showing up in Hangouts.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wait around for a pop-up (since my GV number is already in the settings - though this may just be there because way back when I setup Google Chat so I could make Voice calls via the hangouts app in Gmail.

I'm a bit confused. I suppose I'll give it a few more days.

Volotaire

Are you certain about these? The Z3 seems like a large jump over the Z2 in these departments. Here's an article regarding the screen of the Z3 from a site who managed to measure some of its values:

http://translate.google.de/translat...ria-z3-test-son-ecran-5-2-full-hd-n35898.html

Here's what they had to say (translated to English):

"Sony continues on the path of IPS Triluminos slab LED phosphor inducted on the Xperia Z2. It already offers a beautiful display while still perfectible. For Xperia Z3, it must be recognized that the engineers of the firm transpired for a beneficial outcome. The overall quality of the display is enhanced with high contrast through 1202: 1 and above an impressive maximum brightness of 693 cd / m²! A brightness greater than 75% of Xperia Z2. What ensure readability outdoors in most conditions, except of course with direct sunlight."

The HTC One M8 does seem to have the upper hand in responsiveness though:

"And even if the responsiveness of the panel does not reach the tenors of the sector (80 ms delay touch here for 46 ms on a HTC One M8), it remains largely satisfied before this screen balanced, generous in the dark and ensuring a beautiful picture to watch videos."

As for audio, there's not much yet, but here's an actual video comparison between the M8 and Z3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxaHx3xwCX0

At abou 10:40 they do a speaker test and to my ear the Z3 is not only louder, but clearer with better highs and lows. Too bad the test was so short. Either way, the fact that Sony can produce speakers of this quality despite the phones waterproof nature is absolutely amazing.

Ah was comparing the screen to the Z2, oops.

vivftp

Ah was comparing the screen to the Z2, oops.

Ahh, cool.

Well one thing I will say about Sonys efforts so far, they definitely seem to be listening to their critics. From the Z to the Z3, they've GREATLY improved the screen, removed the shatterproof sheets, gone from a single easy to cover speaker to stereo front facing speakers, improved the port flaps for waterproofing and rouded the design to make it much easier to hold.

Of all my time keeping an eye on their devices, I think this is the first one with no obvious drawbacks. Even the Z2 had less than ideal loudspeaker volume for some, and the screen wasn't the best for outdoor visibility. Sure there are other things they could have added like the 2k screen (Z4 probably), an IR blaster (wonder why they took it off after the ZL), wireless charging (they do have an optional case for Qi charging though that's coming), and larger internal memory capacity. Still, the phone seems damned near perfect for what it is. Gonna be interesting to see how it reviews.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens once they get to the Z4 and beyond. I had read the reason they've stuck to the same 20.7 MP resolution since the Z1 was because the Qualcomm processors didn't support anything higher. Supposedly the Snapdragon 810 processor ups that limit. Not to mention new tech like their curved camera sensors which should be absolutely amazing in a phone.

Also, I think I had read some rumours about Verizon variants of the Z3 having built-in wireless charging. I honestly don't know if they're true, but if they are I hope next years phones have 'em built in.

BTW, here's the wireless charging cover for the Z3:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/09/10/sony-wcr14-wireless-charging-cover-for-xperia-z3-coming-soon/

Volotaire

Ahh, cool.

Well one thing I will say about Sonys efforts so far, they definitely seem to be listening to their critics. From the Z to the Z3, they've GREATLY improved the screen, removed the shatterproof sheets, gone from a single easy to cover speaker to stereo front facing speakers, improved the port flaps for waterproofing and rouded the design to make it much easier to hold.

Of all my time keeping an eye on their devices, I think this is the first one with no obvious drawbacks. Even the Z2 had less than ideal loudspeaker volume for some, and the screen wasn't the best for outdoor visibility. Sure there are other things they could have added like the 2k screen (Z4 probably), an IR blaster (wonder why they took it off after the ZL), wireless charging (they do have an optional case for Qi charging though that's coming), and larger internal memory capacity. Still, the phone seems damned near perfect for what it is. Gonna be interesting to see how it reviews.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens once they get to the Z4 and beyond. I had read the reason they've stuck to the same 20.7 MP resolution since the Z1 was because the Qualcomm processors didn't support anything higher. Supposedly the Snapdragon 810 processor ups that limit. Not to mention new tech like their curved camera sensors which should be absolutely amazing in a phone.

Also, I think I had read some rumours about Verizon variants of the Z3 having built-in wireless charging. I honestly don't know if they're true, but if they are I hope next years phones have 'em built in.

BTW, here's the wireless charging cover for the Z3:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/09/10/sony-wcr14-wireless-charging-cover-for-xperia-z3-coming-soon/

I definitely agree. I'm surprised how much they have took on criticism head on and implemented the features in. All in 1 and half years (for the Z series). It's pretty much nearly the perfect smartphone (for me anyway).

MarkusRJR

So I'm donating a bunch of my old android phones, but I want to make sure all my data is off them. Is there any app I need or would a factory reset make it 100% disappear?

TTOOLL

Sony didn't fuck up the 4.4.4 update, I'm impressed!
Also, it's seems the ZL will be getting the L update too. Nice!

NotBacon

Nitpicky but: the Z3 is just too big for me with those bezels, and the Z3C is just too small haha. Damn and it was nearly perfect for me...

We have the same smartphone history save for the fact that I couldn't deal with the 3G. You need to add to your list in my opinion. Check out the LG G3, GS5, Oppo Find 7/7a, HTC M8, Galaxy Note, OnePlus One, and insert 2014 Android flagship.

You have to think long-term with Android. Three years from now what could you regret about buying this phone? Is it the camera? Is it the screen size? Is it the speaker quality? Don't be afraid to read as many reviews as you can. The LG, Oppo, M8 (if you can get over the camera) and Galaxy Note should last you three years easily. The gripes about the M8 is a personal thing so I can't say that's an issue unless you use the device and feel it's an issue. Go into a store and try these phones out is my advice.

*EDIT*

Give the Z3 a try but understand that they release flagship smartphones twice a year. There's a chance you can deal with this so try the Z3 as well.

Z3 shits on all of those phones. How does their update cycle impact the quality of the Z3? It's getting android L...

jokkir

So I'm donating a bunch of my old android phones, but I want to make sure all my data is off them. Is there any app I need or would a factory reset make it 100% disappear?

Encrypt your phone via Settings > Security then factory reset it. If someone were to try and look at deleted data, it'll be encrypted so they won't get anything.

teiresias

This apparently explains why no one is getting the prompt to merge voice and hangouts anymore and why I'm able to make VoIP calls with hangouts using my GV number but not get texts or voicemails in hangouts:

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/1...get-asked-to-merge-hangouts-and-google-voice/

Unfortunately, most of the world didn’t receive that “merge” message, so they were stuck with the separated experiences. If it makes you feel any better, know that the early merge adopters have all been reverted back, according to Google. As you can see in the image above from my phone, I am no longer seeing the Google Voice options that I was so excited about from yesterday.

Google’s Alex Wiesen had this to say on Google+:

"If you were one of the handful of people who saw the opt-in from the old Hangouts app last night, you’ve been reverted back to GV in preparation for the update. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to switch back soon."

In other words, Google reverted those back who merged early to prepare for a full rollout, or something along those lines. That’s probably a good thing actually, since my merge experience included all sorts of force closes and an odd double-dialer experience when receiving phone calls. We are close, though.

Hang in there, it’s still coming.

This crap is annoying and utter amateur hour IMO. If you're going to roll out a damn dialer, and have such horrid feature roll-out control that people start getting prompts about functionality you better have the damn thing working and not leave some of us in a damn limbo state not knowing what the hell is going on.

This is why Apple will always have the upper hand in usability.

This "extra" dialer for hangouts is also annoying since Google Voice Actions like "Call Debra on mobile" still open the regular dialer and so does starting a call from the contacts app, and there isn't any customization control for voice commands for me to set it up properly, like, I assume I'm using a voice command in a car, so I may or may not have data, so I want my voice commands to open the hangouts dialer, but make a call via the voice network rather than fruitlessly try a VoIP call.

I'm not getting warm fuzzies that Google has the functionality figured out for this . . . like AT ALL.

Apple Pay has to be pretty embarrassing for Google. They completely squandered their opportunity with Google Wallet. I really don't get what their deal is sometimes.

SimleuqiR

This is why Apple will always have the upper hand in usability.

::::Looks at the Apple Watch UI:::::
::::remembers how iMessages never got to users when they switched iPhones::::

3816676-0704928121-36645.gif

No.

Sure the prompt popped up. That thing has been there for a while. I remember AP did a tear down of one of the Hangouts APK and found the image for the pop up way before yesterday.

A few people got it, unfortunately one of those people was in the media and the thing took a life of it's own.

I just got this update on Google Voice today

mamCRwmeuee337lTFWtuQ6Vbkih0HPIVBAqIk0Z3kVEU=w334-h593-no

It's coming, and we may still need to keep the GV app in the phone to keep some functionality (for a while).

LIke I mentioned in the G+ DroidGaf communicty, GrandCentral and Gtalk were/are two different beast, and Hangouts is actually not even GTalk anymore (protocol wise). This is a huge undertaking. Though I'm antsy myself for the merge I rather they take their time and do it right. If they feel the transition had to be done in stages then so be it. Just as long as I don't lose my data or functionality from GrandCentral I will be happy.

Deception

- Personally I think iOS is confusing. Everything is vague and I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

- Well that's why you use Google Calendar :p Yeah the only annoying thing I would say is the initial migration to Android.

- I should have mentioned I was only talking about Nexus and Nexus-like phones. A lot of other phones (including the One M7) are almost there, but Nexus and Nexus-like phones are there.

You could always get a Google play edition phone if you prefer stock android.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
True, but I'm talking relative to iOS, not absolute terms.

Well, I still don't agree. For the typical things that most people do with their phones on a daily basis I don't think Android is any more difficult to use than iOS these days. In some ways I'd even argue Android is easier to use.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
True, but I'm talking relative to iOS, not absolute terms.

Like what though? Both systems at the most basic level honestly aren't that different. It's easy to surf the web, easy to download apps, easy to call, easy to message people, easy to manage your apps, easy to take photos etc. etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I like the new Hangouts Dialer, I made a phone call with my Nexus 7, and it worked pretty good. Take that Note!
Hah this is a good approach. Probably smaller than iPhone 6+ anyway.

Ultryx

Hey guys. I'm going to be leaving my iPhone 4S behind here in 2 weeks. I'm going to get the Galaxy S5 (Verizon).

What case would you guys recommend? I want something that adds minimal extra size to the phone, but it needs to lift the phone up off surfaces if it's face down. I like something that raises above the screen just a bit in case it's dropped, hopefully it prevents cracking. I was thinking one of these.

Option 1

Option 2

Argyle

Apple Pay has to be pretty embarrassing for Google. They completely squandered their opportunity with Google Wallet. I really don't get what their deal is sometimes.

In fairness - I wouldn't throw all the blame on Google, I'd say the mobile carriers here in the US are also reponsible (AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile)...they started a competing mobile wallet (the unfortunately named Isis, now SoftCard) that required use of the secure element on the phone, and blocked Google from installing Wallet on just about every phone. It wasn't until KitKat that Google had a solution for working around this (Host Card Emulation).

I think it would have been hard to start a marketing campaign at Google Wallet launch where all you could say was "pay for stuff at 7-11 with your phone, as long as it's a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint" :(

Yeah the carriers are to blame here, but even they can't block Apple from doing what Apple wants. If they could have, they would have blocked Apple Pay too just like Google Wallet to push their Islamic State SoftCard payment that they control.

It's funny how the carriers will always fight tooth and nail to control everything but as usual, the harder they squeeze, the more star systems slip through their fingers. The future of the carrier as the dumb pipe draws closer every day and let's face it, they are scared as fuck. They should be, the rise of pre-paid and non-contract devices in recent years should be spooky to them. One day someone will make a device with a programmable software modem which can be switched to any carrier in the US, it might be Nvidia with their Icera tech, and then shit is going to be fucking real. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom