• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
$749 for a phone with specs comparable to a Moto G. That's something.

You don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it's overpriced, but it's going to be the fastest benchmarked phone when it released and iPhones usually have one of the best cameras.

And speaking of off contract priced phones, the Xperia Z3C is up for preorder at clove. I added it to my cart with shipping to the US just to see how much it would cost..

307.83 pounds... That's about 500 USD...

Am I missing something here? Because that's very cheap..

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
You don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it's overpriced, but it's going to be the fastest benchmarked phone when it released and iPhones usually have one of the best cameras.

And speaking of off contract priced phones, the Xperia Z3C is up for preorder at clove. I added it to my cart with shipping to the US just to see how much it would cost..

307.83 pounds... That's about 500 USD...

Am I missing something here? Because that's very cheap..

It got a huge price cut. Verrrry tempting

dat RAM though.

You can't get me to pay 7 fiddy for a phone that has 1gb of RAM in 2014. That's absurd.

Quasar

In fairness - I wouldn't throw all the blame on Google, I'd say the mobile carriers here in the US are also reponsible (AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile)...they started a competing mobile wallet (the unfortunately named Isis, now SoftCard) that required use of the secure element on the phone, and blocked Google from installing Wallet on just about every phone. It wasn't until KitKat that Google had a solution for working around this (Host Card Emulation).

Though is it Google again not being as hard nosed as Apple is with carriers?

I've wondered about that. Or rather why ios phones can run so well on so little ram whilst android phones are passing 3gb now. Is it all javas fault?

They don't. iPhones have to refresh content was the RAM limit has been hit, resulting in reloading tabs and applications on a regular basis. You're thinking of how optimized the OS is for the SOC, which is indeed extremely efficient and unrivaled by Android hardware OEMS that are hampered by Dalvik and a general spec.

ART + Android L should show drastic improvement on the android end in that department.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Whilst true, what is the ram used for when you have ios devices running the same stuff as well with less than a gb? Are there any apps that take advantage of the ram?

In my experience they don't run nearly as well.

Examples in my day to day work would be web browsing, G+ or other photo or story streams re-load more frequently on my iPhone than on my LG G2. Also large document management and multi tasking. Things are generally far snappier on my G2 without reloads because things can reside in memory far longer before they are swapped out.

I noticed the same significant increase in usability moving from a 1GB of RAM Android to a 2GB, my old Galaxy S3 to my G2. So it's definitely a factor of the specs, not just the platform.

And again it's not a direct one app to one app comparison, but a day to day usage swapping between things on a regular basis and keeping things running in parallel.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Whilst true, what is the ram used for when you have ios devices running the same stuff as well with less than a gb? Are there any apps that take advantage of the ram?

It's not there to be used by one app at a time. Apple's decision is either them maximizing what they've got because they know most people who buy iPhones and don't care or it's iOS itself that's holding them back because it still works around the idea of one at a time with limited multitasking.

I would expect a serious spec bump to come with a new version of iOS that won't be backwards compatible. I don't think it will be next year either because the off year is usually just a refresh of what they have.

Quasar

They don't. iPhones have to refresh content was the RAM limit has been hit, resulting in reloading tabs and applications on a regular basis. You're thinking of how optimized the OS is for the SOC, which is indeed extremely efficient and unrivaled by Android hardware OEMS that are hampered by Dalvik and a general spec.

Thats true. I do notice that with using browsers on ios. Not really with other apps though.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Question about the Z3, will it get Android L soon or a year later? And would it continue to run smoothly.

Would the theoretical Z4 come with Android L as standard?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Question about the Z3, will it get Android L soon or a year later? And would it continue to run smoothly.

Probably yes to both. Sony's improved their upgrading to newer Android builds, so i'd believe so

Also, the Z4 may come early next year (Feb/March), so keep that in mind if you don't mind waiting. Should be a significant upgrade

I don't think there's anything conclusive to say when it will roll out, but why even wait? The Rom community will have much better updates out once the official build drops.

Hasney

According to others in this thread, Sony has been pretty good at updating their flagships, so I'd go with less than a year. As for Z4, depends when it goes into production ahead of a theoretical launch in 6 months.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
DO0bpB3.png

adios brochachos, its been fun :)

Wow.

teiresias

OK, a few more tests using the Hangouts update and the Dialer. This was all verified by calling my own office phone from my cell phone.

Opening the Hangouts Dialer and manually punching in a number always makes a VoIP, with no way that I can find to say you want to use the cellular network.

If you open a contact from your Hangouts List and then click the phone icon at the top of the chat/message window you can pick to make either a VoIP or a cellular network call (there are "tabs" in the pop-up for selecting the one you want)

Making a VoIP call in this manner always shows my Google Voice number to the person I'm calling. If I choose to make a cellular network call, the Hangouts Dialer actually exits and opens the default phone dialer which, since I have Google Voice setup on my phone, also still shows my Google Voice number.

So without full-up integration so far I can make either kind of call and my GV number is what is visible to the person I'm calling. There is still issues with receiving calls being wonky (I haven't had much chance to test this yet), and regular SMS (ie. not MMS) messages still go to the GV app.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Thank you for the replies :)

Reading more about Android it seems some phones come with both Dalvik and ART, but Dalvik is the default setting.

Is this applicable to the Z3 (or rather the Z2) and which one is better to use?

Volotaire

Well, I still don't agree. For the typical things that most people do with their phones on a daily basis I don't think Android is any more difficult to use than iOS these days. In some ways I'd even argue Android is easier to use.

Like what though? Both systems at the most basic level honestly aren't that different. It's easy to surf the web, easy to download apps, easy to call, easy to message people, easy to manage your apps, easy to take photos etc. etc.

I think having the apps just on the home screen and no second home screen is simpler for the non technical end user. I'm not saying it isn't easy, it is. it's just a matter of what is easier, even if the difference is microscopic for average users. In my opinion, I quite like the iOS design as it's easier on the eyes with the simplistic fonts and icons better than KitKat. It makes a bit of difference in apps such as Mail etc.

There is definitely better Android features, such as Swype keyboard, and the new upcoming Android L which looks simpler (but looks a bit odd in some places). But I find that for the non technical user, it would probably be easier to use iOS from first glance with its slightly simpler icons and menus.

To be honest, none of this really applies to the person who asked the question unless we are talking about UI preferences.

terrier

Reading more about Android it seems some phones come with both Dalvik and ART, but Dalvik is the default setting.

All phones come with Dalvik, you can set art as default in some (not all) phones running 4.4 and above (KK) unlocking dev options

When phones are updated to Android L art will be used instead of dalvik. Art is faster but it takes a little extra storage afaik, not much though,

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

ART is the new runtime and has some new features

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

You can use it on any (?) 4.4 phone by changing the runtime in the developer settings. It's the default in L.

most 2014 phones have ART capability out of the box, especially flagships. ART will take more space and take a little longer to install, but will run much faster once done.

I see. So once I get the Z3, would you suggest I switch to ART for better performance?

Give it a try and see. A lot of apps haven't been updated or optimized to take advantage of ART, but you'll find some of the more popular apps already have the capability to utilize it.

Here appears to be a list of apps currently incompatible with ART:

http://www.androidruntime.com/list

terrier

I see. So once I get the Z3, would you suggest I switch to ART for better performance?

some (very few) apps are still not compatible with ART. The main one is Xposed for rooted devices.
However not all Sony KK phones allow ART, but i guess Z3 will. Someone with Z1 or Z2 could tell you more, but i have a spare Xperia M2 that recently updated to KK and ART is nowhere to be found.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Give it a try and see. A lot of apps haven't been updated or optimized to take advantage of ART, but you'll find some of the more popular apps already have the capability to utilize it.

Here appears to be a list of apps currently incompatible with ART:

http://www.androidruntime.com/list

some (very few) apps are still not compatible with ART. The main one is Xposed for rooted devices.
However not all Sony KK phones allow ART, but i guess Z3 will. Someone with Z1 or Z2 could tell you more, but i have a spare Xperia M2 that recently updated to KK and ART is nowhere to be found.

Ah okay, I see.

Cheers for the help guys :)

-PXG-

Any new nexus 6 info ?

I'm dying for info. I want to know if ditching my N5 will be worth it.

Then again, I just want L. That's what I really care about. Hell, once they confirm Xposed works on ART, I'll lose my mind. Hopefully that happens prior to it's release...but we know that won't happen

Then again, I just want L. That's what I really care about. Hell, once they confirm Xposed works on ART, I'll lose my mind. Hopefully that happens prior to it's release...but we know that won't happen

I think I'm gonna wait on the next HTC flagship + L. I like what Z3 has to offer but no other Android OEM has matched the quality of what HTC has put out IMO.

terrier

Then again, I just want L. That's what I really care about.

I also want some info regarding nexus 6 but unless has huge improvements on camera or battery life i doubt i will change my already great N5, because android L will give it a second life : -> better battery and better camera software , the only two points where n5 is not top tier (not bad as some claim)

Like Jesus and booty, everyone eventually finds their path to Nexus. It's inevitable.

Ehh not a big fan of the Nexus series. I bought my GF the 1st gen nexus tablet way back, and I had a Galaxy Nexus (great phone, worst battery life of all time with that pentile screen).

I thoroughly enjoy the build quality HTC emphasizes and the tasteful aesthetic of Sense 6.0. Boomsound speakers are amazing and if they can find a way to have Xperia level waterproofing and 8mp ultrapixels, sign me right on up.

Easily the best phone at that size on the market then. You've basically got that or the iPhone 6 to pick from and no point looking elsewhere.

It's not for me, but I'm glad it's coming for people who want that size.

The iphone 6 is significantly larger than this phone.

The Z3 compact is in a league of its own.

SimleuqiR

yep is as big as a 5 inch phone, with only 4,7. I lol'ed, the same applies to the 6+ regarding Note series

The z3C is way smaller with only 0,1 inch smaller screen and being water proof and with stereo speakers. Not to mention battery size which is a mistery yet on the iphone.

Wait, wait, wait...the iPhone 6 is as big as the Nexus 5 but only has a 4.7" screen? Wuuuut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom