• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrier

And HTC has the same issue...look at the praise they get!

afaik, htc (and sony with the huge z series bezels, have been widely criticised. HTC get praise because they do a few things right, like construction quality , speakers, design (despite being subjective)...

I personally dislike HTC design, their phones seem to have a weird aspect ratio, too thin, just like iphones.

NotBacon

I've wondered about that. Or rather why ios phones can run so well on so little ram whilst android phones are passing 3gb now. Is it all javas fault?

No. It's due to the multitasking nature on Android. Multitasking on iOS is very restrictive. On Android anything can run in the background whenever it wants. Upside is true multitasking. Downside is possible rogue apps eating your ram and battery.

Husker86

No. It's due to the multitasking nature on Android. Multitasking on iOS is very restrictive. On Android anything can run in the background whenever it wants. Upside is true multitasking. Downside is possible rogue apps eating your ram and battery.

That's not exactly true. onStop/onDestroy can be called at any time an app is not in focus.

The exceptions to this (I can't recall exactly what it's called as I haven't designed a background app) are apps that register those persistant notifications (of which you may have noticed an increase in lately since Google plugged a loophole).

You can also register services, but those aren't exactly "true multitasking" as you would think of on a PC, either.

You can't deny that Apple having full control over hardware and software leads to a great advantage in efficiency.

Also, is this NotBacon admitting that Android is laggier than iOS? Because the question you quoted was talking about smoothness, not multitasking ability ;)

-PXG-

Diminishing returns or Apple just don't give a fuck...

6 GPU benchmark is barely higher than the 5S. What gives? 6 plus will be worse since it has to upscale and downsample at the same time.

thespot84

OK, a few more tests using the Hangouts update and the Dialer. This was all verified by calling my own office phone from my cell phone.

Opening the Hangouts Dialer and manually punching in a number always makes a VoIP, with no way that I can find to say you want to use the cellular network.

If you open a contact from your Hangouts List and then click the phone icon at the top of the chat/message window you can pick to make either a VoIP or a cellular network call (there are "tabs" in the pop-up for selecting the one you want)

Making a VoIP call in this manner always shows my Google Voice number to the person I'm calling. If I choose to make a cellular network call, the Hangouts Dialer actually exits and opens the default phone dialer which, since I have Google Voice setup on my phone, also still shows my Google Voice number.

So without full-up integration so far I can make either kind of call and my GV number is what is visible to the person I'm calling. There is still issues with receiving calls being wonky (I haven't had much chance to test this yet), and regular SMS (ie. not MMS) messages still go to the GV app.

I can't test sms yet (i think no one can anymore) but receiving calls is strange. I THINK the expected behavior is:

1. someone places a call from a real phone to your hangouts number
2. the hangouts dialer pops up first and allows you to answer with VOIP.
3. You can answer or decline, in which case your normal dialer is supposed to pop up assuming your number is forwarded

I have had issues with forwarding forever, and those are still there. though the hangouts dialer showing up is somewhat consistent.

EDIT: i would get occasional "we could not complete your call errors". after uninstalling the google voice app, and making my cell the only forwarding phone, i now get "we could not complete your call" 100% of the time. trying to revert back to old hangouts to see if this fixes GV. what the fuck.

thenexus6

Question:

I have my google play account to auto-app everything, however when I look on my apps theres always a couple sitting and waiting to be updated. Why is this?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Question:

I have my google play account to auto-app everything, however when I look on my apps theres always a couple sitting and waiting to be updated. Why is this?

This is normally because the update requires a new permission on your device and it won't update until you accept.

SimleuqiR

Question:

These apps waiting for you have probably changed "permissions" and they require you to grant them access to this data. If you previously gave apps permissions and they have not change since the last update they will update automatically

manfestival

I am thinking of getting the latest moto g. I know there hasnt been an improvement in speed/power but the front facing speakers and improved camera at that price point are very appealing aspects to me. I had the htc one and ruined it and now im currently using a backup galaxy s2 but I have grown tired of this super fast.

Financially I am in a tough spot so I figure this would be ok. I would love the one+one but I need an invite for that so its probably not gonna happen for me

re: Hangouts + Voice integration

Firstly, thank goodness I finally got the prompt to switch over. I took great joy from erasing the Voice icon from my home screen.

I wonder if they'll introduce the "make all calls using Google Voice" option to Hangouts, so I can uninstall and forget about the Voice app altogether.

And lastly, why is there still no search in Hangouts?? It used to be in the old Google Talk. I know I can search in Gmail using various operators, but, come on, searching through your chats and SMS should be built into and easily accessible from the app that handles them.

I'm not digging the lack of "swipe to archive" ability either.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DO0bpB3.png

adios brochachos, its been fun :)

Are you in Australia? Only way that price makes sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it's overpriced, but it's going to be the fastest benchmarked phone when it released and iPhones usually have one of the best cameras.

And speaking of off contract priced phones, the Xperia Z3C is up for preorder at clove. I added it to my cart with shipping to the US just to see how much it would cost..

307.83 pounds... That's about 500 USD...

Am I missing something here? Because that's very cheap..

That's a great price - are clove reliable?

The compacts are fully featured like their big brother right? Just smaller screen.

NotBacon

That's not exactly true. onStop/onDestroy can be called at any time an app is not in focus.

The exceptions to this (I can't recall exactly what it's called as I haven't designed a background app) are apps that register those persistant notifications (of which you may have noticed an increase in lately since Google plugged a loophole).

You can also register services, but those aren't exactly "true multitasking" as you would think of on a PC, either.

You can't deny that Apple having full control over hardware and software leads to a great advantage in efficiency.

Also, is this NotBacon admitting that Android is laggier than iOS? Because the question you quoted was talking about smoothness, not multitasking ability ;)

I was simplifying things because not everyone understands the activity lifecycle or the nuances of a background service :p

And I guess I didn't fully read what I quoted haha, I just saw java being trashed and jumped into action because I have a soft spot for java.

But since you mentioned it, the occasional lag people see is usually due to GC_ALLOC being called too often. New phones can power through those hiccups, but the final ART should remedy it altogether!

EmiPrime

I refuse to believe Google will not include an SD card on this device. SD cards are standard on all android flagships so this should be the case here.

The last Nexus device to have an SD card slot was released over 4 years ago. Google don't like them.

See also the changes in 4.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom