• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I found and left the Cult of Nexus when i realized that a good battery life, camera, and external storage mattered more to me than ideology.

Well for me its not so much ideology, its just the price unlocked and faith in getting timely OS updates for a good while.

I'd be happy to buy a Moto X for instance if it was priced like the Nexus.

Probably fake but who knows

nexus-x-64gb-negro-google-play-españa.png
Please be t....

Why would "Lemon Meringue Pie" have a ® symbol?
....rue

Because it's fake.
;_;

vivftp

GSM Arena has reviewed the Xperia Z3 Compact. And the battery life... DAMN!

battest.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3_compact-review-1135.php

It seems like they may have had a pre-production model though since they've apparently had it in their posession since before the phone was even announced. This could possibly mean performance would get even better for the final release.

BTW, the camera performance has been GREATLY increased over previous generation Xperias. Using their camera comparison tool, you can see a huge difference across the board. For example:

screen.png

Really amazed by this and can't wait to see what they'll have ready for next year when I'm ready to upgrade.

Volotaire

battest.jpg

It seems like they may have had a pre-production model though since they've apparently had it in their posession since before the phone was even announced. This could possibly mean performance would get even better for the final release.

BTW, the camera performance has been GREATLY increased over previous generation Xperias. Using their camera comparison tool, you can see a huge difference across the board. For example:

screen.png

Really amazed by this and can't wait to see what they'll have ready for next year when I'm ready to upgrade.

Mother of.......

Groof

battest.jpg

screen.png

Just finished reading the review. Holy shit Sony is knocking it out of the park. Amazingly done.

vivftp

Whoops, just noticed I cut out the bottom phone name from that comparison of the 3 pics. The bottom one is the Xperia Z2

I can only imagine how much the camera will improve beyond THIS when they begin using their new curved sensor tech.

Volotaire

I was seriously thinking of whatever the M9 would be to be my next full phone, but the Z4 is a serious contender if HTC continue with lower battery life, camera performance and degrading some of the design from the M7. (And putting the damn power button on the top). What is with that stupid design decision.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got the 2.3 hangouts update on my wifi Nexus 7 and got separate prompts to link google voice SMS to the app and then to install the hangouts dialer. Voice calls work now, this is really cool!

NotBacon

Droid Quark: Interesting, but I'm against QHD screens, it's footprint is too big, and updates are a joke.

Nexus X: Specs are still in the air but it still might have a QHD screen, and it ain't coming to Verizon.

Z3: too big

Z3C: too small

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Moto X it is.

spwolf

Just finished reading the review. Holy shit Sony is knocking it out of the park. Amazingly done.

battery life is amazing... i will likely be able to go 3.5-4 days with this phone... and this is just standard battery mode, i will certainly use some of the stamina features so maybe 4+ days.

Most important though is that for some times in a year when i actually use phone non stop for 12+ hrs on screen time, this thing will last!

Now when someone makes a nice looking watch that does the same, i am buying.

teiresias

I got the pop-up just a few minutes ago as well too. Finally being able to SMS via my GV number in hangouts is great!!

Getting an incoming call and having two dialers pop-up one after the other is still wonky as all hell though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Droid Quark: Interesting, but I'm against QHD screens, it's footprint is too big, and updates are a joke.

Nexus X: Specs are still in the air but it still might have a QHD screen, and it ain't coming to Verizon.

Z3: too big

Z3C: too small

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Moto X it is.

Like you were really gonna get something else?

Come on be real. You've been whoring out the new Moto X for months now.

#NotGonnaFoolMe

malyce

OK they need to let you switch between gv and your cell number when sending texts. They need to this from within the text input field, not the fucking settings. Get this fixed asap google.

teiresias

You can disable incoming calls in Hangouts.

You can, but one of my primary use cases would be to answer incoming calls when I'm at home on Wi-Fi instead of using minutes. If there were a widget to disable and enable it that would help, but I'd rather just leave it enabled rather than remembering to go into the settings everytime I get into one of my usual Wi-Fi available areas.

3phemeral

One more update today for the GV app...just to show this message and option:

Time to uninstall it.
Had to go back and forth before that option showed up. The update for GV states you need to open it up at least once to ensure that it's routed to Hangouts, but if you need that message to pop up first, it's a bit misleading.

That's said, uninstalled, finally.

teiresias

Had to go back and forth before that option showed up. The update for GV states you need to open it up at least once to ensure that it's routed to Hangouts, but if you need that message to pop up first, it's a bit misleading.

That's said, uninstalled, finally.

Don't you still need the GV app if you want to make calls via your GV number on the regular cellular network?

wilflare

seems like my next phone after my Note3 would be the Sony Z3. would be nice if it has those KnockOn features too.

hmm. Got the Hangouts GV update. My GV SMS aren't showing up though (I use Evolve as my main SMS app if that affects anything)

This is probably a long shot because my problem is kind of specific and I haven't been able to discover a solution but I'll run this by this thread anyway.

I just finally replaced my iPhone 4 with an S5. I also own a 2014 Ford Fusion with Ford Sync. The issue I'm having is with Google Maps turn by turn voice prompts.

With the iPhone, using the Google Maps app, the voice prompts would interrupt whatever was playing on the car audio system and then return back to the audio source it interrupted.

With the S5, the Google Maps voice prompts only stream while the Bluetooth audio source is selected on the car stereo. It will not interrupt other audio sources the way the iPhone would. I can disable media audio streaming via bluetooth, which then causes the voice prompts to by played through the phone speakers. At this point, that seems to be my only real option and I can deal with it if there is no alternative but I will miss the automatic prompt interruptions. It made hearing the directions much easier.

Other than that one issue the phone has been an incredible upgrade over my old busted iPhone 4, though I had to finally say goodbye to my unlimited data plan.

NotBacon

Was trying to figure out how the Z3C could achieve that, and then I saw S801+720p screen. I bet you the first S805+1080p phone we see will have phenomenal battery life too, assuming it has a decent sized battery...

Like you were really gonna get something else?

Come on be real. You've been whoring out the new Moto X for months now.

#NotGonnaFoolMe

Gotta have an open mind bud. Even though the new X is killer
SO CALLED IT
, I'm still gonna check out the upcoming competition since my upgrade is in November.

OK they need to let you switch between gv and your cell number when sending texts. They need to this from within the text input field, not the fucking settings. Get this fixed asap google.

Wait, does that mean Hangouts will have the option to send an SMS, hangout message, or GVoice message? That sounds like a usability nightmare.

SimleuqiR

Wait, does that mean Hangouts will have the option to send an SMS, hangout message, or GVoice message? That sounds like a usability nightmare.

Say you get a text to your GV#. Hangouts will default to sending SMS through the GV# for that particular thread (data).

If you get a SMS on your cell/mobile # it will default to sending SMS via that # on that convo.

A person texting you will be expecting a reply to the number they sent the message to.

Was trying to figure out how the Z3C could achieve that, and then I saw S801+720p screen. I bet you the first S805+1080p phone we see will have phenomenal battery life too, assuming it has a decent sized battery...

Galaxy Note 4 says hi even though it's 1440p.

Not that you care about non-Nexus devices.

spwolf

supposedly Z3 gets similar improvement and it has same chip as before and 1080p display... so there is a lot of other enhancements behind the scene.

longdi

Banned

We have the Samsung S5 4G+ here, which is bascially a S5 with S805 + 1080p. The battery life is in the same ballpark as S5.....

What i like about the new Sony is they are taking criticism headon and every new release (albeit in shorter cycles) sees improvements. They are not releasing new phones for the sake of it! Going to play with the Z3 later today and return with comments against Z2!

I hope Kaz if you are reading this, please work on your touch to screen response times. From what i heard of Z3, it is still lagging behind Apple/Samsung/HTC at almost twice the ms needed! My Z2 touch navigation does not feel slow/laggy in any sense but compared to S5/5s touchscreens, you can feel the 'lack' of speed.

I only use Google Voice for voicemail, but I've been thinking about getting a GV number for calls and such. I've looked over the setup process and just want to ask you guys about some things for clarification.

Does porting my current carrier number really mean I would have to cancel my current cell plan? There's no way to keep everything the same but with my cell number also being my GV number? Is that what that Google and Sprint deal allowed you to do?

If I decide to just get a new GV number, does it matter where in the US it's from? (There are no numbers available in my immediate location, but there are numbers available in my area code, though still a decent bit away from me.)

Thanks!

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me why people can't hear me when I try to make a call from Hangouts? Their phones ring, but they can't understand what I'm saying. Is it because I don't have a proper GV number?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lots of love for the Z3 and Z3C. But who's actually buying one?

vivftp

Not I. I'm afraid it's just too small for me. I'm waiting for Sony to make a true successor to the Xperia Z Ultra. Rumours were kicking around about an Xperia Zx3 not too long ago. Some rumours said it would debut late next year, thers said early next year. Whenever/ifever it comes, that'll be for me.

thuway

Jesus that Xperia Z3 Compact battery life is pure sex. What about the Xperia Z3? Sony gonna kill it come this Fal if it holds up.

NotBacon

Galaxy Note 4 says hi even though it's 1440p.

Not that you care about non-Nexus devices.

Lol that negates the purpose. They're not going to reach god-tier battery life if they keep on increasing the pixel count every time a more efficient SoC comes out.

And I'm on Verizon..........

I'm really confused by the design of the new Hangouts. Did the Hangouts team follow Matias' design guidelines at all?

I'm a little disappointed too, but you gotta remember the L APIs aren't live yet. It will be interesting to see the updated Goog apps in their true material form.

reKon

Banned

Probably me. I want to wait though and see what the Nexus 6 offers. It makes me feel good though that I can import the Z3C for $470ish and that I would be able to buy it cheaper in the future.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say, while it still isn't 100% comfortable, I think I've somehow learned how to use the LG g3 one handed.

Thank god for thin bezels.

jokkir

battest.jpg

screen.png

So would you say this is a good replacement for a Nexus 4? Also, when is it supposed to release anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom