• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Interesting how the Z3/C is the first Sony phones to be taken seriously. The Z2 was cool but didn't hit all the right notes. All you have to do is wait for the next Nexus phone and you're clear to buy a phone for the next six months. Every other big phone has launched.

I only use Google Voice for voicemail, but I've been thinking about getting a GV number for calls and such. I've looked over the setup process and just want to ask you guys about some things for clarification.

Does porting my current carrier number really mean I would have to cancel my current cell plan? There's no way to keep everything the same but with my cell number also being my GV number? Is that what that Google and Sprint deal allowed you to do?

If I decide to just get a new GV number, does it matter where in the US it's from? (There are no numbers available in my immediate location, but there are numbers available in my area code, though still a decent bit away from me.)

Thanks!

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me why people can't hear me when I try to make a call from Hangouts? Their phones ring, but they can't understand what I'm saying. Is it because I don't have a proper GV number?
This what i do sprint, yes

teiresias

anyone messed with gvoice sms in the chrome hangouts extension? it's tits. might ditch regular sms altogether now...

Yeah, it's great. Definitely better than going to the Google Voice page and sending/reading SMS through there (or through the GV drop-down Chrome extension).

rrvv

I think Sony will be better if they go to Samsung schedule. Flagship phone on first half and Compact and Ultra version on second half

Z3C seem prefect phone for now. make me wonder what they going to do with Z4 other than spec upgrade

Nexus 6 info needs to come out soon so I can know what to do!

this soo much. thought just reading some of the rumor. assuming this one is true. hoenstly I think they kinda stray away from original idea of Nexus device. which is just "simple phone" with pure android without fancy stuff.

why they cannot simply refresh Nexus 4? that one just prefect if they buff the battery.

Blackhead

Redarse
TheWirecutter - tech recommendation experts, review compilation site. Like Metacritic except updated less frequently. They have a smartphone section with recommendation topics like "Best Weather App". Their "Best Android smartphone" topic was just updated recently, crowning the recently released S5 over the One M8 and Nexus 5. (NB: Their "favorite smartphone" is a different topic altogether, currently recommends the iPhone 5s and, coincidentally, is usually updated in October).

Well what do I know, theWirecutter updated their 'Favorite Smartphone' in September, and "After a day of sober thinking" they've crowned the iPhone 6 as their recommendation. They even put up a special buying guide on how to purchase it *lol*

I think Sony will be better if they go to Samsung schedule. Flagship phone on first half and Compact and Ultra version on second half

Z3C seem prefect phone for now. make me wonder what they going to do with Z4 other than spec upgrade
I agree with this, though I think it should be Z4, Z4C, & Z4TabC first half and Ultra & big Z4tab second half. They also need to find a way to get their devices on all the major US carriers.

Edit: Or reverse it with big stuff first half and smaller stuff second half.

Hasney

Well they said the 6 month thing is until they're a player again, so I guess they just spam phones until the carriers pick them up.

vivftp

I dunno, I kinda like the 6 month flagship cycle. I know it's probably not a sustainable model forever, but for the here and now and the next couple of years, I think it's a great idea. It's timed to match the flagship releases of their main rivals and ensures Xperia devices are kept in the news alongside their competitors. Think about it, if there were no Z3 announced now then all the talk would be about the Note 4 and iPhones. But there is a Z3, and a lot of people seem very excited about it. If all Sony had to present at this time of the year was the Z3 Compact and still had the Z2 as its flagship, they would not be receiving nearly as much attention.

I just wish they'd hurry up with another Z Ultra though! They skipped a new Ultra this year, which saddened me. If they do make another Ultra, I REALLY hope they don't gimp its specs. Give it exactly the same sort of camera, speakers and whatnot as the Z4 and it'll be a popular device. Gimp its specs, and it'll be forgotten pretty quickly.

Toki767

I bought my friend's G3 from him for $200 since his work requires him to use an iPhone. So nice. Don't notice any overheating either so I'm guessing some people just got a bad batch.

Alszem

Anyone here ever had problems with a Samsung phone corruping their SD cards? My Note 3 corrupted a 16gb (or 32, I can't remember) Sandisk card within a month, so I bought a 16gb Kingston after reading that there were some problems with Sandisk cards. Today, after barely 6 months of owning the phone, my card corrupted again. I lost my music, some apps and pictures that I had stored on it. I'm a bit pissed right now.

And I can't access the card even when I connect my phone to my PC. I would try an adapter but I can't find one right now.

Any help?

I bought my friend's G3 from him for $200 since his work requires him to use an iPhone. So nice. Don't notice any overheating either so I'm guessing some people just got a bad batch.

It gets more noticeable when you use media for a long period of time and it only really feels hot on the back buttons.

Toki767

It gets more noticeable when you use media for a long period of time and it only really feels hot on the back buttons.

Interesting. I'll have to see, but I really don't consume much media on my phone and I can probably count the number of times I've never touched the back buttons on my G2 with one hand.

Anyone here ever had problems with a Samsung phone corruping their SD cards? My Note 3 corrupted a 16gb (or 32, I can't remember) Sandisk card within a month, so I bought a 16gb Kingston after reading that there were some problems with Sandisk cards. Today, after barely 6 months of owning the phone, my card corrupted again. I lost my music, some apps and pictures that I had stored on it. I'm a bit pissed right now.

And I can't access the card even when I connect my phone to my PC. I would try an adapter but I can't find one right now.

Any help?

sounds like the SD card went bad. it happens...

snacknuts

we all knew her
Shit, what a deal. Please PM me if any of his coworkers are offering the same deal.

3phemeral

Well, even though I wasn't feeling the Moto 360, I got my hands on one as a belated Bday gift from someone and it's been a little rough.

Motorola's instructions states you should start the watch, update, and then charge but that's a no no:

1) Watch couldn't finish updating and shut down after a low-battery prompt
2) Tried charging it with the provided charger, went from 11% then to 12% and then back down to 11% (while on the cradle)
3) XDA posters recommended I charge it up first before setting it up, so I factory resetted, turned it off and charged it
4) The Watch then auto-started once it reached 12% so I turned it off and left to make/eat dinner. Watched 20 minutes of a movie.
5) Checked watch - a little hot to the touch. 12% charge.
&*(*^&^T(%
6) Checked XDA and they recommended to use a higher watt/amp charger, so I used my Moto X adapter.
7) After maybe 35 minutes, finally the charge was up to 45%. I let it eventually go up to 100%.
8) Completed the setup process. Moto 360 can't find an internet connection.
9) Tried rebooting phone, airplane mode off/on. Nothing worked. Eventually decided to do a factory reset and saw a processing screen I never saw before (similar to the progress bar when your phone reboots and updates). Seems the very first install process wasn't aware that it didn't completely finish and decided to try to function regardless.
10) I then saw the standard "updating apps" once it rebooted...again.
11) Rebooted another time and VOILA, it connects.​

So far, works good. Been using it to reply to texts and it's so much easier than doing so on my Moto X (surprisingly). Interface does stutter when swiping through notifications every now and then. After heavy use for an hour it's down to 63%. I'll try using it normally to see how it fares during regular use.

Toki767

Oh wow. Awesome thing I didn't realize was in the G3 stock rom. You can choose which apps can hide the navigation bar to regain screen space. Then just swipe up from the bottom to make the navigation bar reappear. This was one of the features that was really popular for rooted phones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The OG Note I owned was a good phone. I miss that aspect ratio.

Hey, that's a great deal. Congrats.

How terrible is Sony's skin? Or with updates? I've been an iPhone user but have been looking into the Z3 a lot more. I'm into stock stuff mostly but am not sure how that affects the stamina mode and such

How terrible is Sony's skin? Or with updates? I've been an iPhone user but have been looking into the Z3 a lot more. I'm into stock stuff mostly but am not sure how that affects the stamina mode and such

Sony skin is very minimal and very close to vanilla. They are updating much more frequently, and plus, they will supply you (with most of their phones) with a program that will root/unlock your phone (made and given out by Sony). Without the Stamina mode, at least on the Z3C tests, it will be a long ass battery life, and even more so in Stamina.

longdi

Banned
Oh wow. Awesome thing I didn't realize was in the G3 stock rom. You can choose which apps can hide the navigation bar to regain screen space. Then just swipe up from the bottom to make the navigation bar reappear. This was one of the features that was really popular for rooted phones.

yep i been using Maxthon over Chrome now and i love how the immersive mode allows for full screen web browsing!

i hope L will allows for more hiding of the navigation bar.

longdi

Banned
Sony skin is very minimal and very close to vanilla. They are updating much more frequently, and plus, they will supply you (with most of their phones) with a program that will root/unlock your phone (made and given out by Sony). Without the Stamina mode, at least on the Z3C tests, it will be a long ass battery life, and even more so in Stamina.

2 cons imo about Xperia flagship:

1. Sony added their "What's new" along side "Google Now" on the home button (it is very annoying to accidentally launch their "What's new" apps and it happens often!

2. Their touch to response timings are a bit slower than the others. In other words, flipping through their UI is not as snappy as the others. It is not gaming breaking unless you have the others in a side by side comparison

Otherwise the battery is awesome and their skin is clean with less customization options.
The system/OS updates seems to require use of PC if you want it fast, though it may be carrier dependent.

I heard the original Z just got Android 4.4.4.

Toki767

yep i been using Maxthon over Chrome now and i love how the immersive mode allows for full screen web browsing!

i hope L will allows for more hiding of the navigation bar.

That's the thing though. The stock ROM of the G3 allows you to hide the navigation bar in any app you want. The app itself doesn't have to support it. This is a pretty great feature that LG chose to add to their stock ROM since a lot of people root their devices especially for this.

I definitely get the idea that a lot of LG's additions to their ROM are being added to Android L. Whether they came up with it first or they got an even earlier sneak peek at Android L than everyone at Google I/O is the question.

Bboy AJ

Google always takes the best part about skins and steals them for incorporation into stock Apple style.

Toki767

Google always takes the best part about skins and steals them for incorporation into stock Apple style.

That's a great thing to do in all honesty. Think where Android would be without stuff like quick toggles in the notification shade. I know Google definitely took quite a bit from LG's skin going back to the G2 last year. Even Apple's whole thing where you can answer phone calls from to your iPhone from a Mac/iPad came from LG's integration with the G2 and G Pad.

jey_16

Banned

if the Nexus 6 has some flaws then i might pick up a Z4 next year....if i have confidence that a Z5 won't be released in a few months, it would be nice to have Sony release one flagship 5inch phone a year like Samsung, HTC etc

longdi

Banned
if the Nexus 6 has some flaws then i might pick up a Z4 next year....if i have confidence that a Z5 won't be released in a few months, it would be nice to have Sony release one flagship 5inch phone a year like Samsung, HTC etc

To be fair Samsung and HTC and LG do release variant of their flagship

S5 with LTE-A
S5 with 4G+
Alpha
E8
G3 with LTE-A
Then there is the Note and likely a G3 Pro and M8+ soon. Only Apple seems to keep their lineup truly yearly

At least Sony made some more than good changes with Z3 instead of just a different SoC or a casing redesign.

I do hope Sony support their 'older' flagship for instance something like PS remote play should be easy to do on Z2.

jey_16

Banned
To be fair Samsung and HTC and LG do release variant of their flagship

S5 with LTE-A
S5 with 4G+
Alpha
E8
G3 with LTE-A
Then there is the Note and likely a G3 Pro and M8+ soon. Only Apple seems to keep their lineup truly yearly

At least Sony made some more than good changes with Z3 instead of just a different SoC or a casing redesign.

I do hope Sony support their 'older' flagship for instance something like PS remote play should be easy to do on Z2.

But they dont really get wide releases though. Outside Korea, the S5 will remain the flagship 5inch phone for Samsung for a year. Same thing for the One (M8) and the G3. Even the Nexus 5 gets a year on the shelf.

The note line is a completely different product so its note like its replacing the s5 like the Z3 is replacing the Z2

Im sure people will disagree but its something that would prevent me from buying a sony phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom