• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

The G3 and Z3 (maybe even Z3C?) seem to be the phones of the year so far. Need Google to hurry up and announce the Nexus 6 so we have a full flagship lineup.

And on the note of a G3+... If they want to release one, it should be soon. I doubt they will though.

Hasney

The G3 and Z3 (maybe even Z3C?) seem to be the phones of the year so far. Need Google to hurry up and announce the Nexus 6 so we have a full flagship lineup.

And on the note of a G3+... If they want to release one, it should be soon. I doubt they will though.

That 100+ hour battery life put the Z3C in a league of it's own by the looks of things. If you want that size phone, it can't be touched.

Groof

That 100+ hour battery life put the Z3C in a league of it's own by the looks of things. If you want that size phone, it can't be touched.
Yep. Which is why it can't compete with any bigger flagships and vice versa. It's leading its very own market segment and there is no competition.

Groof

Yes. Clearly a phone with some big problems and one that hasnt been released are the Phones of the year.

You're very free to bring your own suggestions.

And I don't see how the G3 has "big" problems. They messed up the screen yes, but it's still far and away the overall best phone this year. The Z3 seems to be up there as well from early reports.

Toki767

I still don't even see how they messed up the screen. It looks fantastic to me. You can debate whether it's needed or not, but it is in no way a mess up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean, I would be happier if the hypothetical 1080p screen gives me more than 6 hours of screen time, but as it is I can make through the day just fine.

Nakazato

Getting impatient need to see more L and nexus 6

IPhone looking really good.... Tho I know I would instantly regret my decision

I still don't even see how they messed up the screen. It looks fantastic to me. You can debate whether it's needed or not, but it is in no way a mess up.

The only real issue I have with it is brightness, but I am indoors like 80% of the time so it doesn't really matter. It's just something for critics to nitpick.

Groof

The only real issue I have with it is brightness, but I am indoors like 80% of the time so it doesn't really matter. It's just something for critics to nitpick.
Colour reproduction is also an issues often brought up. For most that's not a problem though.

Kathian

Banned
Trying out new keyboard five tiles. Its an interesting concept but has a sharp learning curve. We need smaller keyboards so am glad to see attempts at a new typing solution.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Trying out new keyboard five tiles. Its an interesting concept but has a sharp learning curve. We need smaller keyboards so am glad to see attempts at a new typing solution.
Link?

reKon

Banned
Anyone have experience with matte screen protectors? I'm think about getting one for my next phone. I saw one on my friends iPhone and I actually really liked it. Also, if i do use one, it should not effect viewing angles, right?

Toki767

Really? I thought they were both means of unlocking the phone?

Moto Display is a means of seeing notifications without touching your phone. Knock code is a secure way to unlock your phone without pressing the power button first. It actually completely skips the lockscreen too.

Have you tried it?

I have. It actually makes a big difference in color. I was fine with the default setting but you can definitely adjust the colors however you want. I think if they used a color wheel or something more people probably would have noticed.

Groof

I have. It actually makes a big difference in color. I was fine with the default setting but you can definitely adjust the colors however you want. I think if they used a color wheel or something more people probably would have noticed.

Damn. This is making the G3 hop up on my list. Great stuff!

I need some help from Android GAF. My Nexus 5 and its battery life is beyond terrible. I know it's not supposed to be fantastic overall, but today I used it for fifteen minutes during morning hours and afterwards had it be in standby mode on my desk.

Here are some screenshots from the battery info page. Any help on how to make my phone last longer would be greatly appreciated:

ibrf9lMNNjmHlw.png

iJnvaPqyIMyT4.png

Fatalah

I can't figure out how to use my Voice number to text someone in Hangouts. The Hangouts app keeps forcing my Verizon number. I can't believe how messy the new Hangouts is :-(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I can't figure out how to use my Voice number to text someone in Hangouts. The Hangouts app keeps forcing my Verizon number. I can't believe how messy the new Hangouts is :-(

You can set the default, either your voice number, your standard number, or the last number you used to text that person.

Raistlin

Moto Display > Knockcode. But I guess that requires amoled...
Nokia's had that in phones ranging from resistive Symbian phones to their Windows Phones regardless of display type (LCD or AMOLED). It's about putting in the time/money/effort add a feature that isn't built into the OS.

It's funny though. Motorola is really starting to be to Android what Nokia is to WP (or at least was prior having a dozen models out there). Don't always have the very best hardware, but add extra features and software that makes it the best overall experience ... and have what some argue to be the best or near best designs.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I need some help from Android GAF. My Nexus 5 and its battery life is beyond terrible. I know it's not supposed to be fantastic overall, but today I used it for fifteen minutes during morning hours and afterwards had it be in standby mode on my desk.

Here are some screenshots from the battery info page. Any help on how to make my phone last longer would be greatly appreciated:

http://i.minus.com/ibrf9lMNNjmHlw.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iJnvaPqyIMyT4.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

Get Better Battery Stats and figure out what's waking your phone up.

jesalr

Think I have to ditch Android L and go back to 4.4. The location services bug can really wreck the battery.

Is there a good way to downgrade without losing my entire setup? There are a few bugs that are really annoying me at the moment but not enough to want to do the whole setup thing again. It's still absolutely bull that there isn't a proper backup solution like on iOS for Android.

ibrf9lMNNjmHlw.png

iJnvaPqyIMyT4.png

Factory reset

spwolf

I had old Xperia U leftover from my wife laying around, so i gave it to my son to use, to be able to call us when he is alone or walking from the school.

Wifey hated it apsolutely and latest available stock rom was crap due to low ram...

Anyway, I loaded lastest/greatest ROM from xda (it was 4.1.2 with mods) and it works so much better... it is like proper phone right now and perfect for the kid.

xda rulez.

Hasney

I take it the Xperia U isn't the same as the Ultra? Depending on how old your son is, that could potentially be the same size as him.

vivftp

I take it the Xperia U isn't the same as the Ultra? Depending on how old your son is, that could potentially be the same size as him.

The Xperia U was a very small low/mid range phone from early 2011. The Z Ultras screen is literally bigger than the entire U!

spwolf

6KuRLXF.jpg

heh, Xperia U was kind of premium midrange device in 2012. It is very small by today's standards, hence perfect for my kid.
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_u-4437.php

3.5" with 480x854px, 8GB and 512MB RAM.

But original firmware was very slow and for instance it took my wife 10 seconds to answer the call due to memory swapping going on. Of course she had few apps but not too many - in any case, with new ROMs, phone works a lot better and is perfectly usable. Plus it has a lot of features from newer Xperia's ported, like themes and Stamina mode, it all works good and looks awesome.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Has anyone here flashed Android L on their Nexus 4? Anything I should know before I go ahead and do it?

DarkFlow

Banned
That bad, huh? Is there a list out there?
No idea it's hit or miss. I know the last time I used it Netflix wouldn't work with chromecast so that was a deal breaker off the bat. Then I found Marvel Unlimited wouldn't load comics so that sucked also.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
No idea it's hit or miss. I know the last time I used it Netflix wouldn't work with chromecast so that was a deal breaker off the bat. Then I found Marvel Unlimited wouldn't load comics so that sucked also.

Thanks.

I think I will keep KitKat then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom