• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

How can you say the app is messy when your struggling with something so simple? Settings > SMS > send SMS from

So you're blaming me for not understanding Google's first try at consolidating their messaging services, something they've dragged their feet on for years?

Choosing between Google Voice and phone carrier for SMS should be an option you can toggle directly in each conversation.

So you're blaming me for not understanding Google's first try at consolidating their messaging services, something they've dragged their feet on for years?

Choosing between Google Voice and phone carrier for SMS should be an option you can toggle directly in each conversation.

No I'm blaming you for whining about a pretty good product that is the result of a ginormous migration. I blame you even more for asking other users to posts pictures for you when you are too lazy to poke around in the settings.

Cipherr

So you're blaming me for not understanding Google's first try at consolidating their messaging services

Well... I mean you seriously didn't check the settings first? Its fine if you overlooked it, but a bit much to be calling the application terrible because you didn't think to check the options when you wanted to toggle an option. Its not like thats bad design or anything.

Hmm. Should I take a Nexus 4 that has a burnt out screen and get it fixed? I dont exactly know where to ask. I heard it could be pretty fast running on Android L.

I think my OPO's battery is getting better. I think most of the battery problems stems from me being in an area with suspect service. Although my G3 has no problems holding it's battery in the same area. Oh well. G3 = phone while I'm at work I guess.

Toki767

I think my OPO's battery is getting better. I think most of the battery problems stems from me being in an area with suspect service. Although my G3 has no problems holding it's battery in the same area. Oh well. G3 = phone while I'm at work I guess.
I think CM is just kind of crappy to be honest.

Anybody know of an playstore app gives gives you the ability to hear live audio (through headphones) while recording video?

The equivalent would be videopro camera on ios

Fatalah

Well... I mean you seriously didn't check the settings first? Its fine if you overlooked it, but a bit much to be calling the application terrible because you didn't think to check the options when you wanted to toggle an option. Its not like thats bad design or anything.

Kind of not the sole reason the new app is terrible...Smart Reply flickers between Google Voice and Carrier. Archiving conversations doesn't consistently make them disappear.

This whole "Smart Reply" thing was not explained in the initial install either. Yes, I went through settings, but overlooked the "Send SMS from" option. It's kind of a critical setting that shouldn't be buried.

Let's not fight, just agree to disagree.

Husker86

Kind of not the sole reason the new app is terrible...Smart Reply flickers between Google Voice and Carrier. Archiving conversations doesn't consistently make them disappear.

This whole "Smart Reply" thing was not explained in the initial install either. Yes, I went through settings, but overlooked the "Send SMS from" option. It's kind of a critical setting that shouldn't be buried.

Let's not fight, just agree to disagree.

In your defense, the Smart Reply is pretty stupid.

I tried to send a text to a friend who doesn't use Hangouts, and I've recently set up my replacement phone so I had no history of texts. It was going to send through my Google Voice number; all I can think of is that I maybe texted him from it years ago?

Had to go change the default to my carrier number and just switch it in settings if I ever really want to text through Google Voice.

I don't see why they can't just make it an option in that same toggle menu next to the input field where you can select Hangouts or SMS.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I tried to send a text to a friend who doesn't use Hangouts, and I've recently set up my replacement phone so I had no history of texts. It was going to send through my Google Voice number; all I can think of is that I maybe texted him from it years ago?

Had to go change the default to my carrier number and just switch it in settings if I ever really want to text through Google Voice.

I don't see why they can't just make it an option in that same toggle menu next to the input field where you can select Hangouts or SMS.

Yeah Hangouts is a mess right now.

Fatalah

Yeah Hangouts is a mess right now.

Thank you #1, thank you #2.

I think I just assumed the inability to toggle between Google Voice and Carrier right from conversations was a bug. How could it not be right there for users to switch, as Google has taught us?

Hot mess.

NotBacon

Can you explain what moto display is? I thought it was just a way to display notifications without turning the entire screen on.

Sort of.

It flashes the time + unlock-swipe-symbol or a notification-swipe-symbol at timed intervals, or when you wave your hand over it or pick it up.
You tap the symbol to view the not., then you can unlock right there or go straight to the app right there. No knock or power button press necessary. Works beautifully and #1 feature for me honestly.

Moto Display is a means of seeing notifications without touching your phone. Knock code is a secure way to unlock your phone without pressing the power button first. It actually completely skips the lockscreen too.

I see you've never used Moto Display...

I need some help from Android GAF. My Nexus 5 and its battery life is beyond terrible. I know it's not supposed to be fantastic overall, but today I used it for fifteen minutes during morning hours and afterwards had it be in standby mode on my desk.

Try out BetterBatteryStats or Factory Reset. And remember L is bringing about a 30-40% improvement in battery life.

NotBacon

No one has used "Moto Display". The new Moto X isn't out yet and it wasn't called "Moto Display" on last year's model silly.

Touche.
What I described is actually Active Display. The new Moto X has Moto Display which is either the same or better, I don't remember.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No I'm blaming you for whining about a pretty good product that is the result of a ginormous migration. I blame you even more for asking other users to posts pictures for you when you are too lazy to poke around in the settings.

Google's UI design is atrocious for a lot of their Android apps new Hangouts included.

VanWinkle

Hey guys. You probably get tired of people coming in here asking what phones they should buy, but I'm going to anyway.

So, the last time I upgraded my phone was the day Galaxy S3 came out. A year after I got it it inexplicably stopped working. Never turned back on; tried everything online that I could. Nothing worked. I got mad and vowed never to get Samsung again, although that was in anger that I am now over.

Anyway, I've been using a used Galaxy Nexus since then and it's really getting on my nerves. I like Nexus devices and all, but the Galaxy Nexus is really slow and laggy starting up apps and multitasking and whatnot. I'm finally ready to upgrade, and I have to pay attention to money. I can't spend a full $200 on an upgrade.

Here are my choices (Note: I am on Verizon Wireless, so they don't exactly have the most robust lineup):

LG G3 (32GB/$49.99 on contract)
HTC One M8 (32GB/$49.99 on contract)
Galaxy S5 (16GB/$79.99 on contract)
Moto X (16GB/$0.01 on contract)

So I want the best choice of power and longevity, given I'll be using it for two years. I kind of don't want the S5 since I don't like the look of it, and it's the most expensive and only 16GB. The Moto X is known to be a great phone but it's not really the highest specs, and it's only 16GB. I think I'm most torn over LG G3 or HTC One M8.

Thoughts?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey guys. You probably get tired of people coming in here asking what phones they should buy, but I'm going to anyway.

So, the last time I upgraded my phone was the day Galaxy S3 came out. A year after I got it it inexplicably stopped working. Never turned back on; tried everything online that I could. Nothing worked. I got mad and vowed never to get Samsung again, although that was in anger that I am now over.

Anyway, I've been using a used Galaxy Nexus since then and it's really getting on my nerves. I like Nexus devices and all, but the Galaxy Nexus is really slow and laggy starting up apps and multitasking and whatnot. I'm finally ready to upgrade, and I have to pay attention to money. I can't spend a full $200 on an upgrade.

Here are my choices (Note: I am on Verizon Wireless, so they don't exactly have the most robust lineup):

So I want the best choice of power and longevity, given I'll be using it for two years. I kind of don't want the S5 since I don't like the look of it, and it's the most expensive and only 16GB. The Moto X is known to be a great phone but it's not really the highest specs, and it's only 16GB. I think I'm most torn over LG G3 or HTC One M8.

Thoughts?
Android gafs top picks are Z3C, G3, Note 4 (Edge), possibly new Nexus. You list older phones. Wait a couple weeks for those phones to hit Verizon. I think. Out of those price conscious you listed, G3. Maybe wait until black Friday.

VanWinkle

Android gafs top picks are Z3C, G3, Note 4 (Edge), possibly new Nexus. You list older phones. Wait a couple weeks for those phones to hit Verizon. I think. Out of those you listed, G3.

Your point is sound, but, like I said, I don't want to spend $199-299. So what I want is the best phone for that [<$100] price point. I feel like the G3, One M8, or S5, which are all only a few months old, should be good for awhile.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Your point is sound, but, like I said, I don't want to spend $199-299. So what I want is the best phone for that price point. I feel like the G3, One M8, or S5, which are all only a few months old, should be good for awhile.
See my edit. G3 it is.

bananas

Banned
Just ordered a Nexus 5 off eBay.

Right now I have a Straight Talk 3GB data and unlimited text+talk plan for $45 a month.
So, with Google Voice being merged into Hangouts, theoretically, I could get a tablet data-only plan and send and receive texts and calls over LTE and WiFi, correct? I could theoretically switch to a 2GB tablet plan for $25 a month (or 5GB plan for $50 a month, lol)

Anyone try this? How does it work?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thanks. G3 looks great, and is actually my first choice. My main concern is the screen that is said to be pretty dim. Though, I guess it will probably still be a step up from the incredibly dim Galaxy Nexus I've been using.

I find that for outside viewing in direct sunlight you need to set the brightness to 60% for the screen to be readable, 30% for in doors.

Toki767

Thanks. G3 looks great, and is actually my first choice. My main concern is the screen that is said to be pretty dim. Though, I guess it will probably still be a step up from the incredibly dim Galaxy Nexus I've been using.

I think Phone Arena did a test and came to the conclusion that the G3 pretty much has the same brightness as most non-AMOLED screens.

Hasney

Sony really need to hurry up and get Z3 regulars out to reviewers. If the battery life is as good or better than the Z3C as they claim.... Hnnnng.

terrier

Thoughts?

If you dislike S5 i'd buy G3. In fact i like g3 better, but being waterproof is a nice plus to have

ILoveBish

zomg finally google voice sms in hangouts, works flawlessly, removed voice app and the chrome extension for good, thank you based google.

thuway

Thoughts?
Wait just a tiny bit and get yourself an Xperia Z3.

Kind of annoyed that the Hangouts dialer isn't as fully featured as the standard phone dialer.

For instance, it doesn't allow you to use the number pad to do an alphabetical search for contacts like the standard dialer does.

Hopefully this gets fixed with the next update.

thuway

Serious question:

Does GAF prefer better battery life and performance OR better screen resolution? I ask this because the Xperia Z3 made a conscious decision to use a 1080p screen. Would you as a consumer want Samsung, HTC, and the rest of the pack to choose battery over resolution as well?

I'm in the battery camp. I compared an LG G3 to my Galaxy Note 3 and saw virtually no difference in terms of overall crispness, and I tried very hard.

thuway

Kind of annoyed that the Hangouts dialer isn't as fully featured as the standard phone dialer.

For instance, it doesn't allow you to use the number pad to do an alphabetical search for contacts like the standard dialer does.

Hopefully this gets fixed with the next update.

Maybe I'm stupid but how do you switch from your Google Voice SMS to your standard cell phone SMS? It defaults to the Voice option and I can't figure out how to text from my normal number.

Volotaire

Serious question:

Does GAF prefer better battery life and performance OR better screen resolution? I ask this because the Xperia Z3 made a conscious decision to use a 1080p screen. Would you as a consumer want Samsung, HTC, and the rest of the pack to choose battery over resolution as well?

I'm in the battery camp. I compared an LG G3 to my Galaxy Note 3 and saw virtually no difference in terms of overall crispness, and I tried very hard.

I prefer the former but I irrationality would like a 1080p screen too. 2k screens don't appeal to me.

Tommy DJ

Serious question:

It depends if the resolution brings anything to the party. With the LG G3, there are compromises outside of battery life that makes the display look worse than other flagship devices. It doesn't help that its really hard to tell the difference between a 5.x" 1080P and 1440P screen.

For a device like the Note 4, which is getting darn close to 6", it'll probably be worthwhile. The phone is probably large enough to have the pixel pitch matter and it definitely doesn't compromise on contrast, black depth, and other image quality factors.

wilflare

I really need "reformat" my Note3
but the thought of resetting everything up, contacts, media, apps and all makes me not want to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom