• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6151329/first-android-one-smartphones-announced

Google has unveiled the first smartphones to run on its Android One platform, a standard designed to help push affordable smartphones in the developing world. The initiative kicks off in India, where Micromax, Spice, and Karbonn are all selling phones with 4.5-inch screens, 1GB of RAM, 5-megapixel main and 2-megapixel front cameras, 1.3GHz quad-core MediaTek processors, dual-SIM slots, microSD expandable storage, and FM radios.

Android One devices will ship with support for more languages, including Hindi, and feature more local publications in Google Play Newsstand. Google is also making a special version of YouTube available which will allow Indian users to download videos and re-watch them multiple times without incurring excessive data charges. The first phones are expected to retail for 6399 rupees ($105).

SimleuqiR

Does it work with all carriers? I know before it semi-worked with sprint and nothing with anyone else, but i havent tried it from someone like say with att.

Just tested it with my cousin. Asked her to send me an MMS to my GV# and I got the image on Hangouts. Both on the Chrome extension and my phone. We are both on T-mobile.

Depending on what phone the person has an how it handles MMS , the contact you send the MMS to may get the image inline the SMS conversation or a link to the image. That's the only issue I've noticed.

But I do receive all MMS via GV in my hangouts app with no issue.

Maybe I'm stupid but how do you switch from your Google Voice SMS to your standard cell phone SMS? It defaults to the Voice option and I can't figure out how to text from my normal number.

Settings (in Hangouts) > SMS > Send SMS from

You can't switch it on the fly; you have to go into the settings menu. It's not an issue for me, since I use my GV as my primary number and never actually use my T-Mobile number, but I definitely get why some people are peeved about it. I'd imagine it will probably get added in a future update.

Toki767

It depends if the resolution brings anything to the party. With the LG G3, there are compromises outside of battery life that makes the display look worse than other flagship devices. It doesn't help that its really hard to tell the difference between a 5.x" 1080P and 1440P screen.

For a device like the Note 4, which is getting darn close to 6", it'll probably be worthwhile. The phone is probably large enough to have the pixel pitch matter and it definitely doesn't compromise on contrast, black depth, and other image quality factors.

Err. What. You do realize the Note 4 is only .2" bigger in screen size than the G3 right? I think what is making people take notice of the 1440p screen on the Note 4 is more that it's AMOLED so colors just pop more.

thuway

If I'm going to buy another Samsung Phone, they need to address a few issues.

The Note 5 needs to have a 6 inch screen, a larger battery, and dual front firing speakers. You can do it Sammy. For now, it's all about dat Xperia Z3 for me.

Pachimari

I love my G3 and I now have 3 replaceable batteries, so it's not a concern to me anymore. Also just got a wireless charger.

Hope this one will last me 3 years. :)

Sky Chief

In your defense, the Smart Reply is pretty stupid.

I tried to send a text to a friend who doesn't use Hangouts, and I've recently set up my replacement phone so I had no history of texts. It was going to send through my Google Voice number; all I can think of is that I maybe texted him from it years ago?

Had to go change the default to my carrier number and just switch it in settings if I ever really want to text through Google Voice.

I don't see why they can't just make it an option in that same toggle menu next to the input field where you can select Hangouts or SMS.

Yeah, Smart Reply seems to default to my GV number for any new texts which is really dumb. At the very least they need to have a default setting for new texts while using Smart Reply. A toggle would be better.

Kind of annoyed that the Hangouts dialer isn't as fully featured as the standard phone dialer.

For instance, it doesn't allow you to use the number pad to do an alphabetical search for contacts like the standard dialer does.

Hopefully this gets fixed with the next update.

Yeah, very disappointed by this. Also, the call quality through Hangouts is poor and it will not automatically route international calls through GV or even give you the option when dialing. Totally half baked feature, I have been forced to reinstall GV. As bad as GV is, it is much better than the Hangouts implementation.

Toki767

Sony needs to do a few more things before I'd buy an Xperia phone I think. Main one being to stop making their phones so damn tall. I don't know why them and Apple keep doing it. The Z3 is the same height as the G3. And while it is thinner and more narrow than the G3, it also has a smaller screen.

They also need to somehow get the US carriers to sell their phones sooner.

NotBacon

Serious question:

Does GAF prefer better battery life and performance OR better screen resolution? I ask this because the Xperia Z3 made a conscious decision to use a 1080p screen. Would you as a consumer want Samsung, HTC, and the rest of the pack to choose battery over resolution as well?

I'm in the battery camp. I compared an LG G3 to my Galaxy Note 3 and saw virtually no difference in terms of overall crispness, and I tried very hard.

More does not always equal better.

Your point is sound, but, like I said, I don't want to spend $199-299. So what I want is the best phone for that [<$100] price point. I feel like the G3, One M8, or S5, which are all only a few months old, should be good for awhile.

If you wanted the closest experience to your nexus and fastest updates I would choose the 2014 Moto x. Its 100 on the nutz.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Your point is sound, but, like I said, I don't want to spend $199-299. So what I want is the best phone for that [<$100] price point. I feel like the G3, One M8, or S5, which are all only a few months old, should be good for awhile.

You do get that your gonna be paying waayyy more than $100 if you go this route right? That's how on contract phone plans works?

thuway

If I were you, I'd ust buy a used TMobile Note 3, and root it yourself. As far as updates go, I assume Android L will have minor updates for the next few years.

Tommy DJ

Err. What. You do realize the Note 4 is only .2" bigger in screen size than the G3 right? I think what is making people take notice of the 1440p screen on the Note 4 is more that it's AMOLED so colors just pop more.

I honestly remember it being really close to 6", huh. The rest of my post still stands. The LG G3 display is problematic since makes some compromises that make it look worse than the very best 1080P screens when compared side to side. The Note 4 display will not have any of the same compromises (as you pointed out, OLED is the reason) so the only real detriment is probably battery life.

TokiDoki

1080p is already good enough , anything after is overkill anyway . So definitely its battery , no question .

Besides that , I'm already struggling to find wallpapers with 1080 pixel vertically , so ...

NotBacon

You do get that your gonna be paying waayyy more than $100 if you go this route right? That's how on contract phone plans works?

Some people want the best coverage. Verizon offers the best in the U.S.

Verizon Pre-Paid 500mb data = $45/month. Buy extra 3gb data for 90 days for $20. (Stupid system)
Verizon contract 2gb data = $60/month.

I don't know about you but I'm going to go with the one where I get a subsidized phone price.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Some people want the best coverage. Verizon offers the best in the U.S.

Verizon Pre-Paid 500mb data = $45/month. Buy extra 3gb data for 90 days for $20. (Stupid system)
Verizon contract 2gb data = $60/month.

I don't know about you but I'm going to go with the one where I get a subsidized phone price.

As someone who needs good coverage there hasn't been an area where I haven't gotten decent coverage with AT&T towers post major 3G/LTE rollout, and I have an off the beaten path lake house that I need to get service at. One of my best friends who use to swear by Verizon jumped ship to prepaid to because he found this to be the case well.

This isn't a decade ago where Verizon clearly had a service edge over competitors for 90% of the US population. Even T-Mo is waaayyy better than they use to be.

Sprint towers are the odd man out in this discussion still I'll admit though.

Not to mention you aren't getting on Verizon for $60 out the door. More like $90 for a line with 2 gigs of data. Granted it's cheaper if you use the edge program or bring your own phone, but if you are gonna do that you could go cheaper else where. That's not counting extra fees either.

There are 0 ways the math works out in favor of AT&T or Verizon proper.

3phemeral

The swiping gestures in hangouts are definitely missed, by me.
I kind of see the point of having it. I only started using it recently before the new GV update integration and while it was nice to have my inbox "clean-ish," it would end up looking the same quickly afterwards once I received more notifications. It didn't seem to affect my usability of it because all recent conversations are moved to the top anyway, but I did like having the message list less populated. It is an odd choice to remove something that other people do find useful.

ILoveBish

Just tested it with my cousin. Asked her to send me an MMS to my GV# and I got the image on Hangouts. Both on the Chrome extension and my phone. We are both on T-mobile.

Depending on what phone the person has an how it handles MMS , the contact you send the MMS to may get the image inline the SMS conversation or a link to the image. That's the only issue I've noticed.

But I do receive all MMS via GV in my hangouts app with no issue.

Delicious.

If You Plan to Buy a New Moto X, Buy a Turbo Charger Just in Case

moto-x-battery7-440x388.jpg

Moto pls

rc213

Looking at the screenshot everything looks at about what you want to see. It actually looks really really good except for the Screen On Time.

Sky Chief

As someone who needs good coverage there hasn't been an area where I haven't gotten decent coverage with AT&T towers post major 3G/LTE rollout, and I have an off the beaten path lake house that I need to get service at. One of my best friends who use to swear by Verizon jumped ship to prepaid to because he found this to be the case well.

This isn't a decade ago where Verizon clearly had a service edge over competitors for 90% of the US population. Even T-Mo is waaayyy better than they use to be.

Sprint towers are the odd man out in this discussion still I'll admit though.

Not to mention you aren't getting on Verizon for $60 out the door. More like $90 for a line with 2 gigs of data. Granted it's cheaper if you use the edge program or bring your own phone, but if you are gonna do that you could go cheaper else where. That's not counting extra fees either.

There are 0 ways the math works out in favor of AT&T or Verizon proper.

In Dallas, AT&T coverage is way better than Verizon (granted this is where AT&T is based) so I switched. No regrets, AT&T has gotten a lot better and Verizon is over priced and way too restrictive.

MattDoza

I kind of see the point of having it. I only started using it recently before the new GV update integration and while it was nice to have my inbox "clean-ish," it would end up looking the same quickly afterwards once I received more notifications. It didn't seem to affect my usability of it because all recent conversations are moved to the top anyway, but I did like having the message list less populated. It is an odd choice to remove something that other people do find useful.
And not only for message deleting & archiving, but bouncing between threads/chats.

teiresias

Yeah, very disappointed by this. Also, the call quality through Hangouts is poor and it will not automatically route international calls through GV or even give you the option when dialing. Totally half baked feature, I have been forced to reinstall GV. As bad as GV is, it is much better than the Hangouts implementation.

Hmmm, I haven't noticed bad call quality through hangouts at all. Are you on Wi-Fi or cellular data when you've tried? If carrier data, which carrier? I've tried it on Wi-Fi and an T-Mobile LTE and call quality was great the times I've tried it.

this_guy

But that screen! It's not QHD, it's AMOLED, and close to stock Android so it must be way more efficient.

Honestly though, I think he might have a rogue app battery drain somewhere.

Well before reviews were out, we were supposed to wait for the Moto X because those Motorola engineers know how to optimize a 2300 mah battery. Now that reviews are out we're supposed to wait for Android L.

VanWinkle

Here's the thing. I could spend $60 a month with Verizon, which has the best service in my area, and get a G3 for $50, or I could spend $45 a month prepaid for a similar plan, and get the G3 or similarly specced phone for ~$550. If you look at two years, which the contract is for, I'm only spending $360 more for Verizon plan over the course of time than the prepaid plan. Which means I'd actually be saving money since the phone is so heavily subsidized, and getting better service in my area, no less.

Sky Chief

Hmmm, I haven't noticed bad call quality through hangouts at all. Are you on Wi-Fi or cellular data when you've tried? If carrier data, which carrier? I've tried it on Wi-Fi and an T-Mobile LTE and call quality was great the times I've tried it.

I tried calling my aunt in the UK on WiFi and we both thought the quality was poor.

spwolf

Serious question:

Does GAF prefer better battery life and performance OR better screen resolution? I ask this because the Xperia Z3 made a conscious decision to use a 1080p screen. Would you as a consumer want Samsung, HTC, and the rest of the pack to choose battery over resolution as well?

I'm in the battery camp. I compared an LG G3 to my Galaxy Note 3 and saw virtually no difference in terms of overall crispness, and I tried very hard.

At these sizes, you cant see the difference in resolution, so you are essentially getting lower performance for paper spec feature.

To me, battery life is most important, together with reasonable specs. I dont even need something like 801 at all, so i could handle mid range device when it comes to speed, but i do like the build quality, screen, camera and battery life of top end phones. Looking at Z3C "on contract", I can get it for €315 and €14 contract that covers all of my needs. It is very nicely priced, a lot less on my carrier than Z3.

DarkFlow

Banned
But they didn't use fast charge to test the battery?

Huh? I don't understand what you're saying. Anyway using fast charge on battery's is a bad idea. It lowers the charge capacity of the battery much faster then if you just charged it normally. So that crappy Moto X battery is going to die even faster sooner then if you just charged it normally.

tzare

Sony needs to do a few more things before I'd buy an Xperia phone I think. Main one being to stop making their phones so damn tall. I don't know why them and Apple keep doing it. The Z3 is the same height as the G3. And while it is thinner and more narrow than the G3, it also has a smaller screen.

They also need to somehow get the US carriers to sell their phones sooner.
Maybe being waterproof is the reason for size, despite z3c being really small for its screen size.

Btw, does anyone know which way of tethering is less battery hungry? Wifi or BT?

Toki767

Huh? I don't understand what you're saying. Anyway using fast charge on battery's is a bad idea. It lowers the charge capacity of the battery much faster then if you just charged it normally. So that crappy Moto X battery is going to die even faster sooner then if you just charged it normally.

Oh I thought you were saying that they were using the fast charge which is why the battery life was crappy.

Maybe being waterproof is the reason for size, despite z3c being really small for its screen size.

Btw, does anyone know which way of tethering is less battery hungry? Wifi or BT?

It's great that it's waterproof, but those port covers are pretty annoying. I feel like Sony should have just put wireless charging built into the phone rather than selling it as a case so I'd never have to open the port covers.

Also technically bluetooth is less of a battery drain than wifi.

Weren't this generation of phones designed with this in mind?

reKon

Banned
Why is Kellex always clueless when it comes to battery life? He's been doing this long enough to know when something is obviously off. It's not exclusively him or anything though. Most reviewers suck it comes to reviewing battery life.

Hasney

I still don't get the hype for that Moto X even slightly. A clean skin? Some software features? It's all well and good, but don't put a child size battery in there.

Now the supposed specs leak of a new Dron MAXX? Now that sounds like an awesome phone.

malfcn

Half the videos, specifically on YouTube aren't working on my phone. They play in garbled bars and break up, like torn images.

What happened?

NotBacon

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Youtube app. Also trying clearing the data for the app. After 2 reinstalls my YT videos were fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom