• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Well before reviews were out, we were supposed to wait for the Moto X because those Motorola engineers know how to optimize a 2300 mah battery. Now that reviews are out we're supposed to wait for Android L.

No. Now that reviews are out we know it has average to good battery life, fine for most people, and L will still bring improvement on top of that.
That review is the first I've seen where someone has struggled.

Phonearena:
z80jukS.png

Engadget:
4ZaWbKA.png

ArsTechnica:
gqhRjT4.png

ZDnet:
GRrW24Z.png

PCworld:
O7i685x.png

Still waiting on Anandtech and MKBHD though.....

Any new Android L leaks/rumors? I needs em. I wants em. I'm impatient.

I still don't get the hype for that Moto X even slightly. A clean skin? Some software features? It's all well and good, but don't put a child size battery in there.

Now the supposed specs leak of a new Dron MAXX? Now that sounds like an awesome phone.
Eh, aside from the battery, display, and SoC(?) it's basically the same phone. The software will more than likely be the main selling point. Plus it may not have the X's awesome customization options, and will probably look ugly since it's a Droid.

But yeah, battery life is the reason I'm not getting a Moto X, as much as I want one. I've got a 3000mAh battery in my current phone now, and I can't see myself going back. I'm getting five and six hours of screen on time.

SimleuqiR

No. Now that reviews are out we know it has average to good battery life, fine for most people, and L will still bring improvement on top of that.
That review is the first I've seen where someone has struggled.

Phonearena:
z80jukS.png

Engadget:
4ZaWbKA.png

ArsTechnica:
gqhRjT4.png

ZDnet:
GRrW24Z.png

PCworld:
O7i685x.png

Still waiting on Anandtech and MKBHD though.....

L could have had an influence on the size of the battery. This phone was influenced by Google as Levano had nothing to do with it. Same goes for the 360.

I still don't get the hype for that Moto X even slightly. A clean skin? Some software features? It's all well and good, but don't put a child size battery in there.

Now the supposed specs leak of a new Dron MAXX? Now that sounds like an awesome phone.

Clean skin and fast updates justify the hype.

Why is Kellex always clueless when it comes to battery life? He's been doing this long enough to know when something is obviously off. It's not exclusively him or anything though. Most reviewers suck it comes to reviewing battery life.

true. i only really listen to AnandTech and GSMArena. used to check Aaron from PhoneDog, but he left (again) and i don't mess with Marco.

Cipherr

Dead to me. This isn't 2012 FOH with 2 hours screentime. Its great besides that, but they chose to put to small of a battery inside. So fuck that.

L could have had an influence on the size of the battery. This phone was influenced by Google as Levano had nothing to do with it. Same goes for the 360.

Im assuming L will have a positive effect on all phones, including the Z3 and the rest. Thats no excuse. They had it locked all they had to do was go with a 3100 mAh battery and it would have been good enough, but theres always something. I'm probably just going to get a Nexus. If I go with a phone that doesn't get EXTRAORDINARY battery life, then Im certainly getting a Nexus instead. Its either long battery life or clean Android, I think Ill favor the clean Android updates more in this case. We will see.

malyce

L isn't gonna do shit but reduce wakelocks. That's it. Under load the battery life is gonna be shit. I got chewed out in the moto X for saying it's garbage. I told them from the get go that they'd be disappointed. All the reviews so far have been iffy. I'm waiting for anandtech to provide that final dose of ether. It should be interesting seeing the SOT screenshots once the phone starts getting into people's hands. It's a $279 device.

thuway

No offense to the Moto X fans, but the Moto X is the most overrated phone today. It has a stock experience with voice reognition quirks. I don't see how that makes it the second coming of Android. It doesn't help that I find it absolutely stupid when people talk about the "genius" of the dimple. It's a FUCKING concavity on the back of the phone.

Android L is going to bring around improvements, but this is not the Motorola of yore responsible for the Droid Razr MAXX line. In fact, this is Motorola at their cheapest, least creative version yet.

When Sony, Samsung, and HTC begin pulling out tremendous battery lives out of Android L, the expectation will be for a device to have a battery that lasts one and a half to two days. Motorola will be meeting the bare minimum once again. A true fucking embarassment.

markot

Banned
So...... Battery life improvements will just mean companies ship with weaker batteries?

Moto is overrated.

Also why does web surfing take up more battery then vids?

thuway

L isn't gonna do shit but reduce wakelocks. That's it. Under load the battery life is gonna be shit. I got chewed out in the moto X for saying it's garbage. I told them from the get go that they'd be disappointed. All the reviews so far have been iffy. I'm waiting for anandtech to provide that final dose of ether. It should be interesting seeing the SOT screenshots once the phone starts getting into people's hands. It's a $279 device.

There is a strange love affair with the Moto X I've never been able to put my finger on. I've had family members who've owned the device who never saw it as much more than a stock experience. Active Display and voice recognition just aren't game changers for me.

The previous Moto X atleast had custom hardware to tackle voice recognition, the new Moto X is a straight up Snapdragon 80X soc, only with an asbolute shit battery. Remind me why should I buy this phone over the One Plus One or the Nexus 5?

malyce

There is a strange love affair with the Moto X I've never been able to put my finger on. I've had family members who've owned the device who never saw it as much more than a stock experience. Active Display and voice recognition just aren't game changers for me.

The previous Moto X atleast had custom hardware to tackle voice recognition, the new Moto X is a straight up Snapdragon 80X soc, only with an asbolute shit battery. Remind me why should I buy this phone over the One Plus One or the Nexus 5?
It's a $500 Nexus 5 that will be slower to updates.

I'm just waiting on the that Nexus 6 announcement. If it ships with a 805 + 3000+ mah battery, it's gonna be my phone for the next 24 months. Can't believe moto released this trash at that price.

You shouldn't. One Plus One is the best value for what you get right now.

thuway

It's a $500 Nexus 5 that will be slower to updates.

I'm just waiting on the that Nexus 6 announcement. If it ships with a 805 + 3000+ mah battery, it's gonna be my phone for the next 24 months. Can't believe moto released this trash at that price.

In the world of premium handsets, the Xperia Z3 is the one to get for me.

In the budget word, there is no one coming close to the Nexus or OnePlus One. The Moto X is just a strange in between with a nonsensical fanbase.

Jigolo

I say all manufacturer go back to 720p. That way we all get insane on screen time.

Nah 800x480 4ever.

Just Googled my old Tmobile G2 for the first time in ages. Amazon is offering up to $100 dollar for a trade in. WTF......

I think I'm going to do it.

NotBacon

If I go with a phone that doesn't get EXTRAORDINARY battery life, then Im certainly getting a Nexus instead. Its either long battery life or clean Android, I think Ill favor the clean Android updates more in this case. We will see.

Barring the carrier bloatware and Moto app, you just described the Moto X...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Here's the thing. I could spend $60 a month with Verizon, which has the best service in my area, and get a G3 for $50, or I could spend $45 a month prepaid for a similar plan, and get the G3 or similarly specced phone for ~$550. If you look at two years, which the contract is for, I'm only spending $360 more for Verizon plan over the course of time than the prepaid plan. Which means I'd actually be saving money since the phone is so heavily subsidized, and getting better service in my area, no less.

You aren't gonna get service for $60 though. That $60 line plan doesn't include all the extra bullshit fees.

Plus the $45 plan is a gig more of data. It's 3 gigs vs 2 gigs.

Look you can stay with Verizon, but I'm telling you the math doesn't work out.

I love the fools in this thread who are hating on the moto so much because of one shitty battery life story. Its like you can't comprehend why a user would actually want a phone that is legit android... Ya know? The reason we are here.

The best part is the ones hating and saying they will get a nexus instead. Guess what! nexus devices have always had the WORST battery life not to mention the cheapest hardware. Good luck getting a GPS to lock in a decent amount of time on a nexus. I dropped a nexus 5 in a heart beat for a 2013 moto x and never left looked back. The camera, battery, speakers, and GPS all kicked the shit out of my N5.

I will laugh in your face when we are all still plugging in our phones every night. Yet I have kickass hardware AND android L and you are waiting until this spring for it on your Sony's, Samsung's, LGs, and HTCs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love the fools in this thread who are hating on the moto so much because of one shitty battery life story. Its like you can't comprehend why a user would actually want a phone that is legit android... Ya know? The reason we are here.

The best part is the ones hating and saying they will get a nexus instead. Guess what! nexus devices have always had the WORST battery life not to mention the cheapest hardware. Good luck getting a GPS to lock in a decent amount of time on a nexus. I dropped a nexus 5 in a heart beat for a 2013 moto x and never left looked back. The camera, battety , GPS all kicked the shit out of my N5.

I will laugh in your face when we are all still plugging in our phones every night. Yet I have kickass hardware AND android L and you are waiting until this spring for it on your Sony's, Samsung's, LGs, and HTCs.

The camera on the Moto X last year was straight trash by any objective measure.

mturco

on the fence of leaving iOS camp and going back to Android again.
Any guesses when Google will announce Next Nexus?

Previous Nexus phone release dates:
Code:
Nexus One	Jan 5, 2010
Nexus S		Dec 16, 2010
Galaxy Nexus	Nov 17, 2011
Nexus 4		Nov 13, 2012
Nexus 5		Oct 31, 2013

So probably mid-to-late October but maybe earlier.

The best part is the ones hating and saying they will get a nexus instead. Guess what! nexus devices have always had the WORST battery life not to mention the cheapest hardware. Good luck getting a GPS to lock in a decent amount of time on a nexus. I dropped a nexus 5 in a heart beat for a 2013 moto x and never left looked back. The camera, battety , GPS all kicked the shit out of my N5.

Yo. Imma laugh in yo face. When mah fone is betta than yo's. Holla!

Cipherr

I love the fools in this thread who are hating on the moto so much because of one shitty battery life story.

Whatevs, what you call foolish I call consistent. I care about battery life. Its a big part of why and what phone I purchase. So is the update situation. Moto X2 hits a few marks but bricks it on the battery. I cut no one any fucking slack. The battery appears to suck so fuck that phone. Im not sure what you really expect of us here. Just calling it as we see it, the same way we do everything else; see the hardware buttons (heathens) versus software buttons (master race) discussion for proof.

Whatevs, what you call foolish I call consistent. I care about battery life. Its a big part of why and what phone I purchase. So is the update situation. Moto X2 hits a few marks but bricks it on the battery. I cut no one any fucking slack. The battery appears to suck so fuck that phone. Im not sure what you really expect of us here. Just calling it as we see it, the same way we do everything else; see the hardware buttons (heathens) versus software buttons (master race) discussion for proof.

So which phone do you own that gets fast ota's and great battery life?

Husker86

Here's the thing. I could spend $60 a month with Verizon, which has the best service in my area, and get a G3 for $50, or I could spend $45 a month prepaid for a similar plan, and get the G3 or similarly specced phone for ~$550. If you look at two years, which the contract is for, I'm only spending $360 more for Verizon plan over the course of time than the prepaid plan. Which means I'd actually be saving money since the phone is so heavily subsidized, and getting better service in my area, no less.

What contract plan with Verizon is $60/month for 2GB of data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom