• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would lap up a 4.7inch iPhone with stock android.

Which makes me think of an (obviously?) stupid question: how comes that people haven't put Android on the iPhone, after the 3G(S?)? There has to be some kind of demand for that? Security can't be that tight either, considering how wide open some models are.

Which makes me think of an (obviously?) stupid question: how comes that people haven't put Android on the iPhone, after the 3G(S?)? There has to be some kind of demand for that? Security can't be that tight either, considering how wide open some models are.

How would someone write drivers for Apple Ax SoCs?

I honestly can't tell which of your posts are serious sometimes. Sometimes they look like trolling, sometimes they don't. Or maybe they're both...

Anyway, I don't think price alone is the main thing people like about Nexus devices. I believe it's a combination of that and high performance hardware (aside from battery and camera). Plus, for those that do like ROMs, Nexus devices are the easiest to do that with. A lot of devices have to have some ridiculous exploit just to root and unlock the bootloader, if at all. So no, it's not easy to just put a ROM on some other device...

Of course everyone's not into that, but for those that are, I can't think of a better line of devices that allow that amount of freedom...

How can you say combination of high performance and price?

What high performance about the the nexus beside the processor?

Like I said price only gotten cheap with the nexus 4 and 5.

The galaxy nexus wasn't anything special performance wise and was expemsive.

Nexus 4 had the nexer processor when it came out, but lacked LTE, mediocre battery and camera.

Nexux 5 is nice and all but I don't see anything special but the price.

Samsung and HTC got as much developer as the nexus. They are as easy to root too...

Timely update? When did Google release an update thats actually worth while function?

Galaxy Prime Is here

Leaked-pictures-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Prime-1.png

Leaked-pictures-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Prime-4.png

Leaked-pictures-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Prime.png

NotBacon

Yep that's a Galaxy phone.

Also fun fact I just learned: Moto G has a higher resolution screen than all iphones. 329 ppi vs 326 ppi.

Toki767

So weird that the S5 Prime is using a Snapdragon 805 but the G3 is supposedly using the 801. Hopefully LG wait like a month to get the 805.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Any expected battery gains from the 805? The 801 phones ask seem to have great battery life. I hope the higher resolutions don't push back battery life.

So my stock Sprint S3 just updated to 4.4.2 needless to say I'm pretty annoyed right now. First and foremost, the connection has dropped through the floor. It is struggling to keep a 4G signal, it drops it and switches to 3G.

The main issue, it is randomly hard freezing and restarting. Using either the normal browser or Chrome it will hard freeze and you cannot do anything. After about 30-60 seconds it will reboot, same thing will happen again. Browsing pictures same thing. Messing around in the settings same thing. Needless to say the phone isn't usable.

I bought it Jan 1 2013 from Best Buy, obviously the warranty is gone. I plan on going in tomorrow to try and get a replacement if that is even possible. I think it is damned absurd that my phone basically got bricked through an update, shouldn't they have to replace it? If they refuse to give me a new phone what should I do? I really don't want to buy a new phone and extend my contract another two years.

My wife has the exact same phone (we bought them at the same time). She has the update and everything is fine other than the drop in connection.

So my stock Sprint S3 just updated to 4.4.2 needless to say I'm pretty annoyed right now. First and foremost, the connection has dropped through the floor. It is struggling to keep a 4G signal, it drops it and switches to 3G.

The main issue, it is randomly hard freezing and restarting. Using either the normal browser or Chrome it will hard freeze and you cannot do anything. After about 30-60 seconds it will reboot, same thing will happen again. Browsing pictures same thing. Messing around in the settings same thing. Needless to say the phone isn't usable.

I bought it Jan 1 2013 from Best Buy, obviously the warranty is gone. I plan on going in tomorrow to try and get a replacement if that is even possible. I think it is damned absurd that my phone basically got bricked through an update, shouldn't they have to replace it? If they refuse to give me a new phone what should I do? I really don't want to buy a new phone and extend my contract another two years.

My wife has the exact same phone (we bought them at the same time). She has the update and everything is fine other than the drop in connection.

Please tell me you have already done a Factory Data Reset before you began to think about demanding a replacement.

Please tell me you have already done a Factory Data Reset before you began to think about demanding a replacement.

Nice edit.

No I haven't, I'm still in the process of trying to back everything up as the phone keeps locking up/restarting everytime I do something. As you can see in the text that you quoted, I haven't even gone to BB yet...I was going to go tomorrow.

-Edit-Finally finished backing up everything, only took 3+hrs. Factory reset, in the process of moving stuff back over, hasn't locked/crashed yet.

NM, just froze and restarted when I was trying to remove something from a tab.

Hey android gaf, i have a question for you.

I'm in the market to upgrade my iphone 4 after a couple of years, and while I like iOS, I really want to give Android a try. So my question is are there any phones with somewhat similar specs to the One M8 and Galaxy S5 that are cheaper when buying without a contract? Due to my Dad owning a couple phone stores, we always buy phones that aren't under contract, which makes them more expensive from the get go, but he gets like cheaper data plans or something. The OnePlusOne looks like a good phone, but sadly it isn't being supported by Verizon, which is our carrier. If anyone could recommend a phone or a phone that might be out later this year that would be cool. I'd also prefer if the screen size was 5" or so, as the Iphones are really small

Edit: the specs don't need to be too similar, i know that defeats the purpose of asking for cheaper. I'm just looking for something that will perform well.

Any expected battery gains from the 805? The 801 phones ask seem to have great battery life. I hope the higher resolutions don't push back battery life.

I don't know why people always assume higher resolution equals bad battery life.
Plus higher res phones are accompanied with larger battery.

People said the same thing with 720, 1080 and now with Qhd...

Right now phones battery life with 1080 res pretty much destroys older phones with lower resolution.

People need to stop dreaming about 480 res phone with 3200mah battery...

I don't know why people always assume higher resolution equals bad battery life.
Plus higher res phones are accompanied with larger battery.

People said the same thing with 720, 1080 and now with Qhd...

Right now phones battery life with 1080 res pretty much destroys older phones with lower resolution.

People need to stop dreaming about 480 res phone with 3200mah battery...

imagine how good the battery life would be if they just clocked the SoC a lot lower! who needs 2GHz? roll out with 500MHz max!

Toki767

I'm in the market to upgrade my iphone 4 after a couple of years, and while I like iOS, I really want to give Android a try. So my question is are there any phones with somewhat similar specs to the One M8 and Galaxy S5 that are cheaper when buying without a contract? Due to my Dad owning a couple phone stores, we always buy phones that aren't under contract, which makes them more expensive from the get go, but he gets like cheaper data plans or something. The OnePlusOne looks like a good phone, but sadly it isn't being supported by Verizon, which is our carrier. If anyone could recommend a phone or a phone that might be out later this year that would be cool. I'd also prefer if the screen size was 5" or so, as the Iphones are really small

Edit: the specs don't need to be too similar, i know that defeats the purpose of asking for cheaper. I'm just looking for something that will perform well.

If you're on Verizon, your only choice real choice for a semi-cheap non-contract phone is the Moto X. So I'd say wait for the X+1 to be revealed and get that. It'll probably be $400 or so, which is the price of the OnePlus One anyway.

NotBacon

Moto X+1 is coming to save us all.

Groof

I love shinshoryuken because he has technolust like no other, but sometimes his opinions go all haywire and I don't even know what the fuck is going on anymore.

Keep on keeping on duder.

NotBacon

samsung 805
amazing 2560x1440p screen
3gb ram

Those are the main reasons I'd buy this phone. Let's be real. Most of us keep our phones in a case, so all that matters is the screen.

1. I'd say about half of us don't use a case. Me being one of them.

2. You can't cover hideous software with a case...

this_guy

Look for the LG G2. Came out last summer, the specs still rival the HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5, and it has great battery life. LG's don't hold their value so you can get a pretty good deal if you look around. Bought mine off of Craigslist for under $250.

Moto X+1 is coming to save us all.

If you're on Verizon, your only choice real choice for a semi-cheap non-contract phone is the Moto X. So I'd say wait for the X+1 to be revealed and get that. It'll probably be $400 or so, which is the price of the OnePlus One anyway.

Look for the LG G2. Came out last summer, the specs still rival the HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5, and it has great battery life. LG's don't hold their value so you can get a pretty good deal if you look around. Bought mine off of Craigslist for under $250.

thanks for the info guys. The Moto X+1 seems promising, so I might wait for more info to come out about that, but if it's too pricey I'l;l check out LG

solarus

A galaxy s5 prime google play edition would be amazing. Too bad not a single google play edition has been released in the UK :/

FYI (and this might be a BIG YMMV!) my local Sam's Club has a new in the box 16GB Nexus 7 2013 edition for only $139. This is a fantastic deal and I would've jumped all over but I already have one.

Futureman

Are there release date rumors? Does Moto have any events planned?

late summer is the only rumor now as far as I know (probably because the first one came out August 2013).

I have unlimited w/ Verizon and went and talked to them today. Apparently for unlimited people, if you want to do an upgrade they can drop you down to a 6 GB/month plan and you keep your old contract with the same price. We looked at my data usage and I'm usually around 7 GB/month, but I never use WIFI.

so I'm probably gonna wait to see what the X+1 and iPhone 6 are and make a decision at that point. I can probably live w/ the 6 GB but in 10 years we'll probably want to use 20 GB/month on our phones.... might be worth it to keep it.

Samsung sure do make ugly phones, they need to pump more money into design their devices.

Samsung does make outdated looking phone, but atleast they are pushing the hardware boundaries...paves the way for LG to imitate ...

Oh yeah your username is hilarious...

I thought the 16GB oneplus was gonna be $300. And the 64GB $350.

YaGaMi

Samsung does make outdated looking phone, but atleast they are pushing the hardware boundaries...paves the way for LG to imitate ...

Oh yeah your username is hilarious...

LMAO, I never looked at my username like that till now! I was a huge KOF fan growing up hence the username :p

Let's be real, no one active in this thread will buy this phone...

I'll buy it, depending on price. If I can get this on T-Mobile for $30 a month with 0 down like most of their phones I'm in. Otherwise I'll probably just buy a one plus and sell my s4. I would probably break even on that deal.

VoxPop

samsung 805
amazing 2560x1440p screen
3gb ram

Those are the main reasons I'd buy this phone. Let's be real. Most of us keep our phones in a case, so all that matters is the screen.

I'm not a big nut about specs as I don't do anything crazy besides browse the web, chat and play an occasional game. Sure if the specs are nice, I'm all for it but you could throw me a Snapdragon 801 and I'd be fine with it.

Don't care about a 1440p screen unless its something that truly makes a difference in my everyday life like the first time high res screens came out with the iPhone 4. Curious to see what the actual jump from 1080p to 1440p is like. I'm also curious what the battery life will be like pushing that resolution.

Putting a case on it doesn't mean anything aside from hiding its ugly exterior. If I'm paying $700+ for a phone, I don't want it looking like a Fisher Price toy since I'd be looking at it everyday. There are a ton of people that don't care what the phone looks like hence the Galaxy line selling in heaps. I'm just not one of them. It's not only the hardware. Their software is absolute bloated trash and looks like it was designed by a blind person. And I don't use a case unless I'm going running in which I just slip it into the armband.

I'm still on the M7/5S and the only phone I was considering to replace them with was the Z2 or iPhone 6.

ILoveBish

Was thinking about leaving verizon, but the unlimited lte is just too stronk. I need the note 4 to have a removable battery, physical buttons for home and back, microsd support. The rest is gravy. If its going to have no microsd, onscreen buttons and no swappable battery, ill be picking up a use note 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom