• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a big nut about specs as I don't do anything crazy besides browse the web, chat and play an occasional game. Sure if the specs are nice, I'm all for it but you could throw me a Snapdragon 801 and I'd be fine with it.

Don't care about a 1440p screen unless its something that truly makes a difference in my everyday life like the first time high res screens came out with the iPhone 4. Curious to see what the actual jump from 1080p to 1440p is like. I'm also curious what the battery life will be like pushing that resolution.

Putting a case on it doesn't mean anything aside from hiding its ugly exterior. If I'm paying $700+ for a phone, I don't want it looking like a Fisher Price toy since I'd be looking at it everyday. There are a ton of people that don't care what the phone looks like hence the Galaxy line selling in heaps. I'm just not one of them. It's not only the hardware. Their software is absolute bloated trash and looks like it was designed by a blind person. And I don't use a case unless I'm going running in which I just slip it into the armband.

I'm still on the M7/5S and the only phone I was considering to replace them with was the Z2 or iPhone 6.

Get the Z2...worthy upgrade to an m7. Twice the baterry life...only con is the size.

Was thinking about leaving verizon, but the unlimited lte is just too stronk. I need the note 4 to have a removable battery, physical buttons for home and back, microsd support. The rest is gravy. If its going to have no microsd, onscreen buttons and no swappable battery, ill be picking up a use note 3.

safe bets. i'm hoping its water and dust resistant too.

sohois

I've got a weird problem with my phone - I'm completely unable to save anything. Phone is a xiaomi M2S, running android 4.1.1

The problem began after a reboot yesterday. Since then I have been unable to save anything - I can't even take photos with the camera anymore.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

VoxPop

Get the Z2...worthy upgrade to an m7. Twice the baterry life...only con is the size.

Yeah I'm probably going to wait till the iPhone 6 reveal ( Probably September? ) and if it fails to impress, there will hopefully be a Z2 successor or S type variant on the horizon.

Yeah I'm probably going to wait till the iPhone 6 reveal ( Probably September? ) and if it fails to impress, there will hopefully be a Z2 successor or S type variant on the horizon.

Yeah by then there's should be a Z3.

There's actually a few more con's with the Z2.
Front speakers sucks, boomsound is way loader and the development community is a ghost town.
I might jump to the LG G3 if the screen end up being impressive..

terrier

How can you say combination of high performance and price?

What high performance about the the nexus beside the processor?

Like I said price only gotten cheap with the nexus 4 and 5.

The galaxy nexus wasn't anything special performance wise and was expemsive.

Nexus 4 had the nexer processor when it came out, but lacked LTE, mediocre battery and camera.

Nexux 5 is nice and all but I don't see anything special but the price.

Samsung and HTC got as much developer as the nexus. They are as easy to root too...

Timely update? When did Google release an update thats actually worth while function?

Nexus line got affordable since N4, that is enough to consider nexus line not only a 'stock android' experience, but also an affordable one. Price matters. Always.
Also, Google play edition of S4 or Htc one are widely available , only selected countries, and, even if that whas the case, what do an S4 or htc one offer that the nexus 5 doesn't? They are more expensive, slower processor, and rest of specs are about the same, better here worse there... battery, camera.

I see nothing on my wife's s4+ that justifies the higher price the phone costs compared to my n5 really.

The only phone that seems to offer something different is Z series from sony, waterproof and better camera. But still way too expensive.

Possible Z3 information. Not even close to 100% though...

5.2" 1080p IPS, new anti-reflective and anti-glare filters borrowed from their TV division.

Significantly smaller bezels.

Same sized battery.

S805 @ 2.5GHz.

4GB RAM.

Waterproof.

Slightly slimmer by around 0.5mm.

Wireless charging in built, but requires the purchase of some kind of charging accessory.

One prototype uses the new USB micro standard which is reversible and holds a higher charge.

MarkusRJR

Wow the Z3 sounds awesome. Confused as to the 4gb of RAM though. Aren't phones just getting that? I can't even comprehend having a phone with that much RAM with current android.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
There's a ton of One M8 'Prime' rumors from evleaks out today

I'm too exhausted to post them so somebody else do it

Groof

There's a ton of One M8 'Prime' rumors from evleaks out today

I'm too exhausted to post them so somebody else do it

-Snapdragon 805
-5.5" WQHD (2560x1440)
-3GB RAM
-Waterproof
-Composite of aluminium and liquid silicone housing
-Still made by HTC

Did I miss anything?

Groof

LG G3, M8 prime and S5 prime will almost have identical hardware specs...wow.

The hardware race has long since stagnated. Unless someone pulls another Samsung and creates their own chipsets a la Exynos, all phones will be equal internal hardware-wise. The thing that matters now is design, material (this has become more and more important lately), screen and camera.

Software to a certain point as well, but nobody gives a shit really.

HKnightz

So my gf got the s5 about a month ago and everything was pretty snappy and smooth. Recently though, there's a lag to transitions and the animation quality is not smooth. Checked her ram and it was 1.5/1.8gigs. Cleared active programs and it still stays at 1.5...maybe 1.4 gigs at best. She has only installed pinterest, Dropbox, and color note. Could bloat ware really be taking up that much ram? In terms of performance, it's an entirely different phone now.

On another note, image stabilization really seems to slow the speed at which pictures are taken. Is there a trick or any settings we should know about for better use of the camera?

The hardware race has long since stagnated. Unless someone pulls another Samsung and creates their own chipsets a la Exynos, all phones will be equal internal hardware-wise. The thing that matters now is design, material (this has become more and more important lately), screen and camera.

Software to a certain point as well, but nobody gives a shit really.

Well this time all 3 will have the 16mp camera.
Battery size might differ slightly. Samsung will still will have removal battery.

All 3 will have top tier screens(they ain't Sony) and snapdragon 805...

So this is the closest yet.

Groof

Does the Snapdragon 805 come with that always listening thing the Moto X has?

I think the Snapdragons have had this for a while now (since the 800 or earlier), but I think no one uses it because they don't want to pay the extra dosh.

VoxPop

5.2" 1080p IPS, new anti-reflective and anti-glare filters borrowed from their TV division.

Same sized battery.

S805 @ 2.5GHz.

4GB RAM.

Waterproof.

Wireless charging in built, but requires the purchase of some kind of charging accessory.

One prototype uses the new USB micro standard which is reversible and holds a higher charge.

Screen is too big but hopefully doesn't mean an increase in size to the current model considering the new smaller bezels. Is the M8 Prime going to look different or look the same as the M8 like with the GS5/Prime?

Got some more info on the screen. Best in class contrast, around 1700:1, and the filter has some new ambient light rejection stuff which allows people to view it in direct sunlight without any issues. It is technology exclusive to Sony and from what I was told they are not licencing it to anyone. It will help save battery life as direct sunlight viewing will no longer require full brightness.

Talon

Got some more info on the screen. Best in class contrast, around 1700:1, and the filter has some new ambient light rejection stuff which allows people to view it in direct sunlight without any issues. It is technology exclusive to Sony and from what I was told they are not licencing it to anyone. It will help save battery life as direct sunlight viewing will no longer require full brightness.
I should put together a tumblr of zomgbbq's hyperbolic posts about upcoming Sony goodies dating back to 2011.

"Best in class optics!"
"Best in class screen...for 1/3 of Z1s."

Pooya

Well this time all 3 will have the 16mp camera.
Battery size might differ slightly. Samsung will still will have removal battery.

All 3 will have top tier screens(they ain't Sony) and snapdragon 805...

So this is the closest yet.

G3 actually has removable battery now, lol. I imagine that must be a notable selling point for Samsung phones in some places.

I should put together a tumblr of zomgbbq's hyperbolic posts about upcoming Sony goodies dating back to 2011.

"Best in class optics!"
"Best in class screen...for 1/3 of Z1s."

The 20mp camera is the best you can get on an android phone. You just have to know how to use it in manual mode.

As for the screens, my source is based in Europe he was sure that they would go for the PLS type screen for the Z1s after the poor reception for the European Z1.

Anyway, as I said its not even close to 100% given how my source has failed me in the past.

SUPREME1

Banned
Samsung does make outdated looking phone, but atleast they are pushing the hardware boundaries...paves the way for LG to imitate ...

Oh yeah your username is hilarious...

Optimus G was the first flagship to do Quad Core and had a 16mp camera. Not to mention they addressed slimming bezels more aggressively than other OEMs.

The 20mp camera best you can get on an android phone. You just have to know how to use it in manual mode.

As for the screens, my source is based in Europe he was sure that they would go for the PLS type screen for the Z1s after the poor reception for the European Z1.

Anyway, as I said its not even close to 100% given how my source has failed me in the past.

Yeah chill with un confirmed rumors.

I belived you on the Z1 and it was pretty disappointing.

All these rumors makes expectations high, and when Sony doesn't deliver it disappoints people.

On a smartphone, people wants to just take pictures and not mess with manual settings. And even then the manual mode On the Z1 sucked, no where as good as the Nokias

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Zomg, keep the rumors flowing, I need it
----------------------------------------------------------------------

also, dem leaks

g3window.png

Toki767

I see the G3 won't be using a menu button anymore either.

Doubt I'll be getting that flip cover. Doesn't look very useful.

If LG's Android Watch was circular instead of square, I would probably imagine their interface looking pretty much the way it looks up above.

Insane specs... if true... hopefully they are... but we all know the US won't get it...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Insane specs... if true... hopefully they are... but we all know the US won't get it...

Oh we will get it. We will just get it when the next batch of phones hit after it does in EU. Just like how we will finally get the Z2 at the same time Samsung and HTC are releasing the Prime version if their stuff and the LG3 hits. It's like they are always one cycle behind in the US.

Oh we will get it. We will just get it when the next batch of phones hit after it does in EU. Just like how we will finally get the Z2 at the same time Samsung and HTC are releasing the Prime version if their stuff and the LG3 hits. It's like they are always one cycle behind.

So US WILL get the Z2? With whom?

Z2 is readily available if you want it.
That's what I did and imported the international unlock version. Worth it!
But when the trio of prime QHD comes along, I wouldn't bother with the Z2.

thuway

Same sized battery.

S805 @ 2.5GHz.

4GB RAM.

Waterproof.

Couple questions-

1. Any speaker updates? The Z2 was a huge step up in speaker quality.
2. Is the camera improving whatsoever?

Most importantly -

3. Is the design language changing at all? I remember reading rumours about the Xperia Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom