• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

The phone has a lot going against it in terms of battery.

1. Screen resolution
2. Battery to screen size ratio

About the only thing it has going for it is Android L which the jury is still out on how much it'll help. Google should have stuck with 1080p, 4000 mA, 6 inches, front firing speakers.

Nexus 6 right there.

Snapdragon 805 too which should be more power efficient.

rrvv

ByZ3m7kIAAILae1.jpg

Shamu indeed

no Nexus Logo on the back? strange

My current android phone of 2 years is dying (battery), currently looking at getting either a Moto G (2014) or a Huawei Ascend P6 but I can't decide or should I just wait and to get a One plus One phone instead?

My current android phone of 2 years is dying (battery), currently looking at getting either a Moto G (2014) or a Huawei Ascend P6 but I can't decide or should I just wait and to get a One plus One phone instead?

Do you want an invite for a one plus one? Must be ready to buy immediately.

So I decided to get a Samsung Gear Live. Gonna try it out and see if I like it. If I don't I will return it. Main concern is the battery, but we'll see.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The phone has a lot going against it in terms of battery.

1. Screen resolution
2. Battery to screen size ratio

About the only thing it has going for it is Android L which the jury is still out on how much it'll help. Google should have stuck with 1080p, 4000 mA, 6 inches, front firing speakers.

Nexus 6 right there.

Again the Note 4 has basically the same battery, big ass screen, and it's QHD.

Nexus literally is like a Note 4 without the spen and no wiz.

I can't think of a regular phablet that has a 4000 battery to he honest.

-PXG-

It's finally hitting me that the Nexus 6/X is gonna be a phablet. That's crazy to me. I'm surprised Google would actually do that.

I bet everybody is going to be disappointed by the supposed battery improvements in L.

yeah, the battery improvements probably won't be as apparent to power users.

Well you should be getting a Note then

indeed. for the people who say they don't mind added thickness for extra battery life, the flagship Samsung mobile handsets with Android have a bevy of 3rd party extended battery covers.

terrier

i think 6 inches is way too much, but it is tempting at the same time. Big screen is always amazing, but not so much when you have to put the phone in your pocket.
If it happens to be a 6 inch AND has great battery life i'll ask my carrier if i can tow sims with the same number, i think it is possible, so Nexus 5 for everyday use and N6 for home and occasional use (holiday and such)

zbeeb

i think 6 inches is way too much, but it is tempting at the same time. Big screen is always amazing, but not so much when you have to put the phone in your pocket.
If it happens to be a 6 inch AND has great battery life i'll ask my carrier if i can tow sims with the same number, i think it is possible, so Nexus 5 for everyday use and N6 for home and occasional use (holiday and such)

Unfortunately, it's definitely not possible to have two sims with the same number. Best you could hope for is just to swap the sim when you want to change phones.

6 months through a 2 year contract on a Windows phone but seriously looking to move back to Android (buyers remorse I guess). The Moto G 4G would be a cheap way to take my existing contract/SIM and jump without any major hassles. Any opinions on the handset itself?

NotBacon

6 months through a 2 year contract on a Windows phone but seriously looking to move back to Android (buyers remorse I guess). The Moto G 4G would be a cheap way to take my existing contract/SIM and jump without any major hassles. Any opinions on the handset itself?

Great phone, get it.

solarus

It's a really great phone, almost perfect for the price, only complaint is the camera.

Stryder

I received my Sony Z3 Compact yesterday, today is the first day of usage starting with 100% charge and all apps restored. Will be using the phone as much as I would want to normally throughout the day (whatsapping, reddit, some youtube, listening the music, etc.) and report back with results.

I primarily upgraded to the phone due to my HTC One M7 having poor battery life and needing to charge it throughout the day, so I look forward to seeing how it fares.

I've already done the obligatory waterproof testing by dunking it in a pint of beer last night, passed with flying colours!

thenexus6

Nexus 6" screen? Blagh way too big, I won't be upgrading from my N5 to the N6 then in the future.. maybe by the time I need to get a new phone the Moto G revision will be out with 4G and micro SD or I might get a Sony compact.

spwolf

I received my Sony Z3 Compact yesterday, today is the first day of usage starting with 100% charge and all apps restored. Will be using the phone as much as I would want to normally throughout the day (whatsapping, reddit, some youtube, listening the music, etc.) and report back with results.

I primarily upgraded to the phone due to my HTC One M7 having poor battery life and needing to charge it throughout the day, so I look forward to seeing how it fares.

I've already done the obligatory waterproof testing by dunking it in a pint of beer last night, passed with flying colours!

good luck mate

Quasar

Looking forward to hearing about this.

Actually would like to hear about this phone from the PoV of a Ingress player. I lamentably had to stop playing as it murdered my N4's battery.

reKon

Banned

Remember that battery life may not be as good initially if you just got the phone. I'm planning on tracking it throughout the week

thenexus6

My Nexus 5 has been getting kinda sluggish recently. When I unlock the phone it takes a good second or two before any icons appear on screen, same thing when I open the app drawer. And swift key has been a little slower opening on text apps.

Any ideas what I could do? I have clean master and other cleanse apps which I use each day.

Nicktendo86

no Nexus Logo on the back? strange

The Nexus 4 leak didn't have nexus on the back (if I remember rightly it had 'with google' or something) and I think the Nexus 5 had the logo missing as well, they probably leave it off on test units to not give the game away.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My Nexus 5 has been getting kinda sluggish recently. When I unlock the phone it takes a good second or two before any icons appear on screen, same thing when I open the app drawer. And swift key has been a little slower opening on text apps.

Any ideas what I could do? I have clean master and other cleanse apps which I use each day.

Stop using "cleaners", task killers, all that crap. You don't need them, and they might actually be directly harmful by killing stuff the phone needs. That might be why you're having issues, as the phone has to restart processes and stuff.

Or maybe it's some other app that's causing it, in which case it's a matter of finding out which and getting rid of it. In any case, I don't have any issues like that, and I let the OS manage itself like it's meant to do.

SimleuqiR

Stop using "cleaners", task killers, all that crap. You don't need them, and they might actually be directly harmful by killing stuff the phone needs. That might be why you're having issues, as the phone has to restart processes and stuff.

Or maybe it's some other app that's causing it. In any case, I don't have any issues like that, and I let the OS manage itself like it's meant to do.

I do a factory reset every 6 months or so. That usually helps keep the phone snappy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been using clean apps since day one and never had any issues with anything

But you don't need them. Android manages memory on its own, kills processes when it needs to, etc. Why do you feel the need to mess with that? It's not making your phone run any faster. It might not be what's causing your issues now either, but still.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do a factory reset every 6 months or so. That usually helps keep the phone snappy.

That helps for sure, but it shouldn't really be necessary. If something is severely slowing down your phone, you should be able to fix it by getting rid of that thing. Might be hard to pinpoint if you have loads of stuff installed though. I only keep the apps I actually use installed, and my N5 runs very smoothly.

SimleuqiR

That helps for sure, but it shouldn't really be necessary. If something is severely slowing down your phone, you should be able to fix it by getting rid of that thing. Might be hard to pinpoint if you have loads of stuff installed though. I only keep the apps I actually use installed, and my N5 runs very smoothly.

Not really having problem with my phone. I just like a clean slate every now and then.
I also take this time to weave out the apps I don't particularly use.

Stryder

Remember that battery life may not be as good initially if you just got the phone. I'm planning on tracking it throughout the week

It's certainly doing a lot better than my HTC One was doing at this stage of the day (it's around 3pm now and was unplugged at 8am). I'm at 72% with around an hour and a half of screen on time. It doesn't seem to be reaching the lofty heights of the reviews I've been seeing so yeah, perhaps I'll monitor it throughout it's first week.

I've worked in a tech for many years and I have never found a product that doesnt run better after a good old factory reset.

Applications installed over time can cause issues and degrade performance. Its the way it is.

-PXG-

Or maybe it's some other app that's causing it, in which case it's a matter of finding out which and getting rid of it. In any case, I don't have any issues like that, and I let the OS manage itself like it's meant to do.

What about Greenify? That is all I use.

It's certainly doing a lot better than my HTC One was doing at this stage of the day (it's around 3pm now and was unplugged at 8am). I'm at 72% with around an hour and a half of screen on time. It doesn't seem to be reaching the lofty heights of the reviews I've been seeing so yeah, perhaps I'll monitor it throughout it's first week.
What were using during that time? Web browsing? YouTube? Going from 8am to 3pm and going down 72% sounds better than my phone.

Stryder

What were using during that time? Web browsing? YouTube? Going from 8am to 3pm and going down 72% sounds better than my phone.
Whatsapp, Telegram, some web browsing, a bit of reddit in an app, some facebooking.
I listened to a few tracks on spotify this morning.

There hasn't been a lot of usage to be honest, but I'm very happy with it so far. Has been a lot better than my HTC One and my Note 2.

I'm on 69% now with 1h30m of screen on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom