• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

6 months through a 2 year contract on a Windows phone but seriously looking to move back to Android (buyers remorse I guess). The Moto G 4G would be a cheap way to take my existing contract/SIM and jump without any major hassles. Any opinions on the handset itself?

I am getting my 2nd gen Moto G today. I will let you know about that shortly :D

Whatsapp, Telegram, some web browsing, a bit of reddit in an app, some facebooking.
I listened to a few tracks on spotify this morning.

There hasn't been a lot of usage to be honest, but I'm very happy with it so far. Has been a lot better than my HTC One and my Note 2.

I'm on 69% now with 1h30m of screen on time.
Nice. I look forward to your full report.

VZW now has the Moto X 2014 available. I have a hard decision to make

Keep current situation...
$50 per month/ No Contract:
2013 unlocked Moto X - old phone but carrier free updates
Straight Talk / ATT - Crappy cell service but manageable, no roaming

Switch to VZW employer plan...
$40 per month/Contract
2014 Moto X - New phone but carrier updates
VZW - Great cell service, roaming

NH Apache

Banned

$40 per month/Contract

I would take the VZW in a heartbeat as long as:

1. You realize there will be data cap
2. You aren't traveling internationally

Toki767

$40 per month/Contract

Yeah...if you're dead set that the Moto X 2014 is for you, may as well go for Verizon.

$40 per month/Contract
I'm not a fan of contracts since things can happen, but that Verizon plan is pretty good. Besides, Moto X 2014 is better than the 2013 model so that is a good upgrade.

I would take the VZW in a heartbeat as long as:

1. You realize there will be data cap
2. You aren't traveling internationally

I forgot about the data cap. I think it will be the 2 GB plan. I usually hover around 2 - 3 gigs in a month. Damn

I have a trip to Panama City coming up in March but it is extremely rare I leave the country.

Yeah...if you're dead set that the Moto X 2014 is for you, may as well go for Verizon.

Hell yes I am dead set on the Moto X. Probably the last chance I will get to buy an American designed AND assembled phone for a very long time.

I live 5 hours from where its designed and used to live 4 hours from where it will be assembled. :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
I would also go Verizon. But beware of data caps if you dont have Wifi at home/work/school. Also, you can root and keep it up to date without issues on Verizon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What about Greenify? That is all I use.

Responsibly used (i.e. don't let it control important services, messaging apps, etc), Greenify is fine, and can likely often help. Because apps do misbehave, and having something keeping them in check can absolutely be good. But that's very different from using a general task killer. Those can be very bad, as they will often kill off stuff they shouldn't, which the system then has to restart, which the task killer then kills again, etc. This is not the way to increase the performance of your phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

$40 per month/Contract

Switch to Cricket. It's basically the better version of Straight Talk now if you stay prepaid. $50 or $45 with auto bill pay gets you 3 gigs a month LTE.

Also WTF @ crappy cell service. AT&T post getting their shit in gear in like 2010 is fine, and I've been all over the country. This isn't fucking Sprint. I live on the East Coast, and I've traveled to the West Coast. No problems anywhere to be honest.

That being said if you can get out the door from Verizon for $40 go with them. Keep in mind I said out the door as in after you calculate all the extra monthly fees on your bill and the fact that you have to pay an activation fee everytime you phone upgrade. Cricket is an extra gig for rougly the same price though.

The wild card being how big of a Moto fanboy you are since you spooge all over the Moto X, but in theory the new Nexus is also a Moto device. If you go Verizon no Moto Nexus for you.

NH Apache

Banned
Switch to Cricket. It's basically the better version of Straight Talk now if you stay prepaid. $50 or $45 with auto bill pay gets you 3 gigs a month LTE.

Also WTF @ crappy cell service. AT&T post getting their shit in gear in like 2010 is fine, and I've been all over the country. This isn't fucking Sprint. I live on the East Coast, and I've traveled to the West Coast. No problems anywhere to be honest.

That being said if you can get out the door from Verizon for $40 go with them. Keep in mind I said out the door as in after you calculate all the extra monthly fees on your bill and the fact that you have to pay an activation fee everytime you phone upgrade. Cricket is an extra gig for rougly the same price though.

The wild card being how big of a Moto fanboy you are since you spooge all over the Moto X, but in theory the new Nexus is also a Moto device. If you go Verizon no Moto Nexus for you.

IIRC, the only downside about cricket, and similar pre-paid services, is that there is no domestic roaming?

NH Apache

Banned
It's AT&T. You aren't gonna roam anyways unless you live in like backwoods Montana or something. :p

Cricket literally is AT&T prepaid now post buy out about a year ago.

COVERAGE MAP

OHH

I just got my mom on cricket a little while ago, but it seems I made the mistake of getting her the CDMA version which is why her coverage super sucks. Guess I know what I'm getting her for Xmas now.

Vanillalite

OHH

I just got my mom on cricket a little while ago, but it seems I made the mistake of getting her the CDMA version which is why her coverage super sucks. Guess I know what I'm getting her for Xmas now.

Oh yeah old coverage was CMDA Sprint. Get her off of that garbage ASAP. LoL

reKon

Banned
Phone is fast as shit. I forgot what a flagship feels like on near stock/sense rom haha.

My LG Optimus F6 was definitely fine as a backup, but it's like day and night here when installing apps.

Thanks for the good advice

Not everyone lives where you do and ATT coverage is shit where I do. Much worse than sprint even. You do not have a clue what you are talking about here.

What are you talking about? I have never said I wanted the new Nexus. And why are you talking shit when I am just asking for advice?

Vanillalite

Not everyone lives where you do and ATT coverage is shit where I do. Much worse than sprint even. You do not have a clue what you are talking about here.

What are you talking about? I have never said I wanted the new Nexus. And why are you talking shit?

I've been to from Charleston to San Diego aka all across the country and never had service issues. I also have friends all across the country with most of them on prepaid and they never seem to have issues either.

I brought up the Nexus because of the fact that you want a Moto phone, and the new Nexus is rumored to be a Moto phone.

PS: Only time I get shit cell service is when I'm at a sporting event and everyone is trying to use the same tower in the stadium. That's the only time service blows my balls.

Erebus

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask but my sister owns a Galaxy Core (gt i8260) which is painfully slow most of the time. Therefore, I'm wondering if there a way to speed things up a bit by rooting the device and getting rid of Samsung's bloatware.

Is such a thing possible? If so, can anyone point me to a guide or help via PM here? I haven't tinkered with Android before.

Toki767

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask but my sister owns a Galaxy Core (gt i8260) which is painfully slow most of the time. Therefore, I'm wondering if there a way to speed things up a bit by rooting the device and getting rid of Samsung's bloatware.

Is such a thing possible? If so, can anyone point me to a guide or help via PM here? I haven't tinkered with Android before.

XDA can help you. They have guides and everything.

I've been to from Charleston to San Diego aka all across the country and never had service issues. I also have friends all across the country with most of them on prepaid and they never seem to have issues either.

I brought up the Nexus because of the fact that you want a Moto phone, and the new Nexus is rumored to be a Moto phone.

PS: Only time I get shit cell service is when I'm at a sporting event and everyone is trying to use the same tower in the stadium. That's the only time service blows my balls.

Thats nice. You and your friends dont live where I do.

Edit: I don't want the next nexus because I don't want a 6 in phone. Dude do you even consider other peoples wants/needs that aren't your own? and you thought I was bad with Moto products Lol

NotBacon

Responsibly used (i.e. don't let it control important services, messaging apps, etc), Greenify is fine, and can likely often help. Because apps do misbehave, and having something keeping them in check can absolutely be good. But that's very different from using a general task killer. Those can be very bad, as they will often kill off stuff they shouldn't, which the system then has to restart, which the task killer then kills again, etc. This is not the way to increase the performance of your phone.

This. There are thousands of man hours that went into designing the multitasking OS in your phone. Some app that force-kills whatever is running in the background disrupts the balance of the system and in most cases will just make your phone perform worse as it tries to constantly restore balance.

It's AT&T. You aren't gonna roam anyways unless you live in like backwoods Montana or something. :p

Cricket literally is AT&T prepaid now post buy out about a year ago.

COVERAGE MAP

Then that coverage map doesn't seem right.
Here's LTE coverage from their site:
uGa73F6.png

Here's what opensignal.com says for ATT LTE coverage:

And I'm pretty sure every one I've met who has Cricket says their coverage is terrible around here. But that's just around here (a major metro area), it could be different elsewhere...

venne

Are there any browsers for Android that have the option to put the address bar at the bottom of the screen? I'm thinking of getting a Note 4 and it would be nice not to have to touch the top of the screen.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Same decision here. Leaning towards white.

Is the G3 currently the best balance of camera quality + battery life on a flagship these days?

My wife has a G3 and I have a Oneplus One.

Even without taking price into consideration I would want to keep my OPO over the G3. With price? It isn't close in my mind.

Battery life is better, camera software is better, hardware seems comparable, the screen doesn't overheat the phone etc.

My wife has a G3 and I have a Oneplus One.

Even without taking price into consideration I would want to keep my OPO over the G3. With price? It isn't close in my mind.

Battery life is better, camera software is better, hardware seems comparable, the screen doesn't overheat the phone etc.

Overheat meaning it shuts itself off or it just gets a little hot to the touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom