• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Well, pretty sure in a couple more days I'm going back to my Nexus 5 as my main phone from the iPhone 6. It's going to be pretty much just a development device unless I'm going somewhere where I want a better camera (and don't want to bring my real one).

It's a nice piece of hardware, but I don't feel I'm getting as much utility out of it as I do with my Nexus. Calendar widget and Google Now are two things that come to mind, the rest I can't really explain, it just doesn't give me what I want from my cell phone.

Touch ID is the fucking greatest though; I want that in an Android phone...and no, Samsung, I don't want to swipe my damn finger down in a straight line to make the reader work.

I see a lot of hate for the new Moto X.

What's the reasoning? The camera? The battery?

I get the complaints about screwing with the 'ideal' form factor of the original X. But for me as long as it:

1) Lasts me the full day only needing to charge when I go to bed so (7:30-12 usually)
2) Takes considerably better pictures than my Nexus 4

I think I'll be very satisfied. Not to mention the price is great.

If the Z3 Compact was out and on AT&T this wouldn't even be an issue, but my N4's battery is basically shot and I need a new phone soon.
Personally, I was looking forward to the Moto X. Then reviewers started talking about the disappointing battery and camera. The battery is what turned me off. Although reviewers say it lasts a 'day',I usually shave some hours off since it never accurately matches what a day is for me. I cannot let moto slide with that battery since I currently have a phone with crappy battery life and I refuse to put up with that again. Android L is suppose to help with battery consumption so perhaps it will improve.

Volotaire

I'm looking at the budget Sony Xperia line against the Moto G/E, and I see the Xperia E is worthless, but the SP and perhaps M rather than the L too (but even these latter two seem to be pointless). The HTC One X also seems to be in the same price range, but I worry for the lack of battery life in the older handsets. Any info/experience on these lower budget Sony phones?

Can't wait for that Nexus 6. Has google sent out invites for an event yet? It looks to be the same size as my one plus one with a bigger screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm looking at the budget Sony Xperia line against the Moto G/E, and I see the Xperia E is worthless, but the SP and perhaps M rather than the L too (but even these latter two seem to be pointless). The HTC One X also seems to be in the same price range, but I worry for the lack of battery life in the older handsets. Any info/experience on these lower budget Sony phones?

Moto G still clearly the leader. Everyone else has clearly skimped in one area or another with the main area being 90% have sub 720p displays for the same price.

I'd also stay away from older handsets due to updates. So I'd pass on the One X or the GS3.

I mean I like the HTC Desire 610, but the Moto G wins with better specs for roughly the same or slightly cheaper price. Same for Sony and Samsung's budget lines.

That being said in theory we should start seeing a refresh of budget phones with the snap 410 chipset and hopefully all of these has 720p displays and 8 MP cameras vs sub 720p and 5 MP.

Volotaire

Moto G still clearly the leader. Everyone else has clearly skimped in one area or another with the main area being 90% have sub 720p displays for the same price.

I'd also stay away from older handsets due to updates. So I'd pass on the One X or the GS3.

I mean I like the HTC Desire 610, but the Moto G wins with better specs for roughly the same or slightly cheaper price. Same for Sony and Samsung's budget lines.

That being said in theory we should start seeing a refresh of budget phones with the snap 410 chipset and hopefully all of these has 720p displays and 8 MP cameras vs sub 720p and 5 MP.

Thanks. I might skip on the G and get the E since the old G has been discontinued and on eBay it's usually just opposite my pricerange.

And others are not trying to do that with the Z3?

What a great crowd. People ask for $500-650 purchase advice and they never get recommended a Moto because they hate the fans on this forum.

What a nice crowd

the difference is it's a lot harder to diss the Z3 and Z3 compact. and SonyDroid has better alts.

kharma45

Thanks. I might skip on the G and get the E since the old G has been discontinued and on eBay it's usually just opposite my pricerange.

What is your budget again? I've seen the G go for reasonable money on HUKD.

Also, got access to an active PAYG SIM card by any chance?

kharma45

Yeh, I missed those G deals grr. About up to £60, pushing 70.

Lumia 625 is in that price range but it's a 480p screen across 4.7" which isn't the best.

Best Moto G price I can see is for an O2 refurb one at £80. Moto E is probably the best bet if you want to stick with Android.

Edit - Lumia 625 no good then as you'd need a PAYG SIM card to get that price.

Volotaire

Lumia 625 is in that price range but it's a 480p screen across 4.7" which isn't the best.

Best Moto G price I can see is for an O2 refurb one at £80. Moto E is probably the best bet if you want to stick with Android.

Edit - Lumia 625 no good then as you'd need a PAYG SIM card to get that price.

The refurb at 02 went OOS.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Post pics please.

Copper was my first choice but my carrier is only offering black or mint.
Ugjdzjo.jpg

Ig7YWTT.jpg

bit of a blur. sorry

reKon

Banned
And others are not trying to do that with the Z3?

What a great crowd. People ask for $500-650 purchase advice and they never get recommended a Moto because they hate the fans on this forum.

What a nice crowd

Z3 compact is less than 500 to import right now
#justsaying

Toki767

Well, pretty sure in a couple more days I'm going back to my Nexus 5 as my main phone from the iPhone 6. It's going to be pretty much just a development device unless I'm going somewhere where I want a better camera (and don't want to bring my real one).

It's a nice piece of hardware, but I don't feel I'm getting as much utility out of it as I do with my Nexus. Calendar widget and Google Now are two things that come to mind, the rest I can't really explain, it just doesn't give me what I want from my cell phone.

Touch ID is the fucking greatest though; I want that in an Android phone...and no, Samsung, I don't want to swipe my damn finger down in a straight line to make the reader work.

The Huawei Ascend Mate 7 has a fingerprint scanner. I think it's actually cooler than Touch ID's implementation too as it'll go from the screen being off to the homescreen just by reading your fingerprint.

Need to see how the Nexus 6 makes use of their fingerprint scanner.

Vanillalite

Looks great. Copper is definitely a better color to use on a phone than gold. Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you in the phone business? You seem to get a lot of new mobile devices. Or do you just happen to collect them?

You should see the pic he took of stacks of phones on his table. We were all like WTF!

Talon

The 2014 Moto X satisfies both your conditions easily. Based on reviews its battery life is comparable to Moto X 2013, iPhone 5s and the camera is better than the 2013 Moto X which was leaps and bounds better than a Nexus 4 camera. (I have owned Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and 2013 Moto X)

The reason why people on this forum love to hate on it because they now expect phone batteries to last 1.5 to 2 days and they expect every camera to be iPhone level.
Oh and they also require sd cards which 99 percent of the US population does not give a shit about except for the small tech population like the people on this forum.
You clearly didn't read the Anand review.

Screen quality is all over the place in comparison to the other flagships.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Looks great. Copper is definitely a better color to use on a phone than gold. Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you in the phone business? You seem to get a lot of new mobile devices. Or do you just happen to collect them?

You should see the pic he took of stacks of phones on his table. We were all like WTF!
I collect them. :3

It helps being single and having a decent paying job.

Got a Z3 Compact a couple days ago. Bit disappointed with the battery yesterday (was just trying to kill it by leaving it doing nothing or just playing video silently and it only made about 4.5 hours + 1 hour of 3G Google Play Music streaming which REALLY killed it (knocked like 20% battery) but I'm going on a big trip today and I'll be interested to see how it performs. Will be sure to post some battery info here.

That said it's done far better than my N4 would ever have done. And the hardware is amazing in the hand.

Following up on this.

So the phone had to update just before I went out - weird, but I let it do its thing and reboot. Afterwards, it was running crazy hot. Drained 60% in 4 hours with only half an hour of screen time. Wasn't using it so eventually figured eh, I'll reset it and see what happens.

After that, it drains 10% for the next 6 hours with nearly 80 minutes of screen time, all web browsing on 3G/4G. Impressed - even after the craziness, it managed to last through the day with 30% to go and a cool two hours of screen on data; much better than my old phone! Can't wait to see how it goes tomorrow now I fixed the issue with that reboot.

thespot84

Damn the internet calling in Hangouts works great. Its miles better than grooveIP ever was. GIP would occasionally give you distortion or lag on a call, but Hangouts is smooth as a babies bottom as long as you have good bandwidth.

just wait until someone starts sending you hangouts message during a call with your boss and you have no way to turn off the buzzing without going into settings and turning vibrate off.

Following up on this.

So the phone had to update just before I went out - weird, but I let it do its thing and reboot. Afterwards, it was running crazy hot. Drained 60% in 4 hours with only half an hour of screen time. Wasn't using it so eventually figured eh, I'll reset it and see what happens.

After that, it drains 10% for the next 6 hours with nearly 80 minutes of screen time, all web browsing on 3G/4G. Impressed - even after the craziness, it managed to last through the day with 30% to go and a cool two hours of screen on data; much better than my old phone! Can't wait to see how it goes tomorrow now I fixed the issue with that reboot.
Sounds good. Keep up with the updates. October 9th can't come soon enough.

Volotaire

What the heck, I'll just get the old Moto G for around 90. I mean, if it;s holdover for 6-9 months, I want the best experience possible and it seems the G is the best. And I can mess around with some custom ROMs while I'm at it.

I ordered my first Android phone today, the black OnePlus One. I'm nervous about it as I've been pretty invested in another ecosystem. I figured for the price and the resale value of them its a safe decision. Time will tell if I actually like it enough to keep it around.

I ordered my first Android phone today, the black OnePlus One. I'm nervous about it as I've been pretty invested in another ecosystem. I figured for the price and the resale value of them its a safe decision. Time will tell if I actually like it enough to keep it around.

It's a nice phone. I'll probably keep mine until Nexus 6 comes out if it keeps a $349 entry point.

Auto. I've been outside most of the day browsing, texting, and taking a few pictures. Brightness was definitely on max

That's great to hear and encouraging. How long would you say you've been browsing? Having the brightness on max all day and still be able to get those results is incredible.

markot

Banned
I can get a good deal on the Samsung S tablet 8.9 incherrrrr, but when are stupid google and co announcing their next tablet?

Boo urns I say to them waiting so long. Who do they think they are Apple?!

Vanillalite

I'd say a 300 dollar price-point in between the Nexus 7 and 10, but trying to be competitive with the iPad Air and Mini (which is 299$ too at its basic level). Google subsidises its Nexus line.

Old ghetto ass iPad Mini is $299. I wouldn't use that as a barometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom