• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

M8 Prime

Prime.gif

yaassss the Red Camera ring is back.

RoKKeR

I need some help setting up a work email on my HTC One as I'm really struggling. The official work guidelines says to go through the "Accounts" page of settings and set it up through "Microsoft Exchange", but that is not an option in my settings page. We run the email through Microsoft Office, but I can't even log onto the Outlook apps on Android because it requires a Microsoft account login...

Any thoughts? Been very frustrated with this.

reKon

Banned
Rumored G3 dimensions really puts things into perspective.

jSL77RHw0go5m.PNG

it's impressive, but I would have loved them to keep the 5.2 size on a body of the HTC M7 or lower. I picked up a S5 and I was able to hold it fine, but I know it's going to bother me a lot down the road when I try to use it one handed. The HTC One M7 is the highest I want to gin terms of size.

Also, on the subject of the HTC M8 Prime:

You guys are fucking trolling me on your positive opinions of the design of that thing right..... right?!?!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wouldn't pay $700 for a phone. I'd want to replace it in a year and even then, it's not $400, over 2x the price, better than the Nexus 5.

VoxPop

I wouldn't pay $700 for a phone. I'd want to replace it in a year and even then, it's not $400, over 2x the price, better than the Nexus 5.

What I did was initially buy my phone for 650 or so. Sold it after about a year to upgrade to the next phone at maybe like a 100-200 dollar loss. The same cost as upgrading your phone when on a contract (even more now). iPhones usually retain their value very well so its even easier.

I get the benefit of getting good service at a reasonable price (T-Mobile 60/mo plan). I've heard some horror stories about T-Mobile but its been nothing but good to me. Great service here in NYC and the LTE is more than fast enough. Can change phones at any time by just changing the SIM which is a lifesaver when traveling abroad. And I could easily get new phones for the same or similar price as everyone else on contracts.

But yeah the Nexus 5 is a fantastic value overall. I would have gotten one but I feel its too late now and its nearing the end of its life cycle.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What I did was initially buy my phone for 650 or so. Sold it after about a year to upgrade to the next phone at maybe like a 100-200 dollar loss. The same cost as upgrading your phone when on a contract (even more now). iPhones usually retain their value very well so its even easier.

I get the benefit of getting good service at a reasonable price (T-Mobile 60/mo plan). I've heard some horror stories about T-Mobile but its been nothing but good to me. Great service here in NYC and the LTE is more than fast enough. Can change phones at any time by just changing the SIM which is a lifesaver when traveling abroad. And I could easily get new phones for the same or similar price as everyone else on contracts.

But yeah the Nexus 5 is a fantastic value overall. I would have gotten one but I feel its too late now and its nearing the end of its life cycle.

Phone swapping works great with iPhone. Not so great with Android phones. You still lose. Back in the day, that was OK because phones improved so much. Today, though, hardware marginally changes.

Cipherr

Also, on the subject of the HTC M8 Prime:

You guys are fucking trolling me on your positive opinions of the design of that thing right..... right?!?!

No, other than the red ring, its a great looking phone. Its almost like they were scared to design something TOO good, so they put this random out of place fucking red ring on there to make sure they fuck it up a little.

That's what I do, that how I've gotten ahold of a bunch of phones.

Galaxy s2->galaxy nexus->onex & galaxy s3 -> M7 and pureview 808 -> LG G2 & xperia z1 --> z2 ..few iPhone in between..

Buying phone out right + buying contract phone + reselling...
see I like all brands! I ain't loyal to one brand, I praise when they are good so I buy them, but equally crap on them!

So...G3, s5 prime or M8 prime??? What's next..

Wow, in the new Gmail I have to scroll past all my labels to get to settings. That seems like a poor decision.

Also, my Play Store still doesn't have the People section, and I'm on a Nexus 5.

thuway

zomg needs to bless us with Z3 info. I'm interested in how Sony will evolve their design langauge, front firing speakers, and update itself (to 805/810).

MarkusRJR

What're some good $400 Android phones? My brother wants his old phone he lent me back (only a year old but my brother develops apps and has a bunch of newer ones), so now I'm back to my Lumia 625.

After my short time with android I'm thinking of switching platforms, but I'm not sure what to look for. My first thought was the OnePlus One, but that seems like it'll be impossible to get (though I'm hoping the GAF invite list pulls through). Then there's the Nexus 5, but that's got a poor battery life. I heard the Oppo Find 7a is pretty nice, but it's just out of my price range.

All I want is a minimum 720p display, good/great battery, and either 32gb storage minimum or a micro SD slot. Is there anything decent currently around or should I wait a bit? There's probably the S5 mini coming out in the Summer, right?

Nicktendo86

Yeah I am still not a fan of the Sony design, the phones always look bigger than they should and I HATE the power button position/shape. Seriously hope they update the design.

reKon

Banned
What're some good $400 Android phones? My brother wants his old phone he lent me back (only a year old but my brother develops apps and has a bunch of newer ones), so now I'm back to my Lumia 625.

After my short time with android I'm thinking of switching platforms, but I'm not sure what to look for. My first thought was the OnePlus One, but that seems like it'll be impossible to get (though I'm hoping the GAF invite list pulls through). Then there's the Nexus 5, but that's got a poor battery life. I heard the Oppo Find 7a is pretty nice, but it's just out of my price range.

All I want is a minimum 720p display, good/great battery, and either 32gb storage minimum or a micro SD slot. Is there anything decent currently around or should I wait a bit? There's probably the S5 mini coming out in the Summer, right?

In Moto X +1 we believe

EVERYTHING is faster than touchwiz.

My biggest issue with touchwiz is the memory usage/management is so fucking bad. How you can bring up a web browser 5 minutes after last using it and it needs to reload it, yet it doesn't even refresh the page... I don't think any other UI does that... do they?

My biggest issue with touchwiz is the memory usage/management is so fucking bad. How you can bring up a web browser 5 minutes after last using it and it needs to reload it, yet it doesn't even refresh the page... I don't think any other UI does that... do they?

Don't even bother trying to understand. Nothing about Touchwiz makes sense.

Groof

The only thing disappointing about those specs is the dimensions of the phone. The rest seems fine. Bring it!

manfestival

Ok since my buddy gave me his galaxy s2. I am thinking of putting a cyanogen mod on here. However, I have never rooted a phone and I am feeling a tad nervous about this. Is the process easy? Also, does rooting it actually improve performance/battery life? Yes I know this phone is running touchwiz and ICS.

I just miss the performance of the HTC one and the sleekness of the OS.

Groof

The dimensions are pretty awesome! Same size as a Z2 but with a 5.5" screen. Seems great to me.

Exactly. In comparison it just gobbles up the rest.

Personally I'd just prefer a slightly smaller device. Imagine what they could do if they just kept the display the same size!

Bboy AJ

G3 pushing that many pixels with that processor will be limiting. This phone is the new iPad 3. It'll be fine for a bit but then it will show its age. Pass.

Toki767

G3 pushing that many pixels with that processor will be limiting. This phone is the new iPad 3. It'll be fine for a bit but then it will show its age. Pass.
It will be fine for a year, at which point most of us will be getting new phones anyway.

It actually probably will be fine as long as you don't play too many graphic intensive games. I'd imagine it'll handle video just fine. The 805 is more for 4K stuff. Still disappointed we're getting the 801 but it'll probably be fine in the end.

CronoShot

G3 with the 801 instead of the 805?

Performance and battery wise, it'll probably be worse than the G2. LG should have just waited a couple months for the 805.

Doopliss

Ok since my buddy gave me his galaxy s2. I am thinking of putting a cyanogen mod on here. However, I have never rooted a phone and I am feeling a tad nervous about this. Is the process easy? Also, does rooting it actually improve performance/battery life? Yes I know this phone is running touchwiz and ICS.

I just miss the performance of the HTC one and the sleekness of the OS.
Rooting itself has no impact on performance but Cyanogenmod will likely run better than TouchWiz. It probably won't be extremely smooth but it should be decently fast.

The only hard thing about rooting/ROMing is finding a clearly written and up-to-date set of instructions. Make sure you're looking for info on the right model of GS2 because there are a ton of different ones.

Groof

G3 with the 801 instead of the 805?

Performance and battery wise, it'll probably be worse than the G2. LG should have just waited a couple months for the 805.
I'm betting it'll be on par, if not ever so slightly better than the G2.

LG cultivated loads of tech lust fans with the G2 and now without the S805 they are going to find themselves left behind. I wouldn't be surprised if the M8 Prime and S5 Prime "leak" to the press a day or two after the G3 is officially revealed. With S805 in tow.

You can't try and be the company that brings the heat with specs and then use a processor that will be outdated within weeks of release. The Z Ultra successor has been delayed to an IFA reveal/release because S805 won't be ready for their July window. LG should have done the same thing. They are competing with the S5, M8 and Z2 on a level playing field despite releasing 3 months down the line. I find it hard to believe that a 25% increase in DPI is going to drive any sales to them that wouldn't also want to wait for an S805 device.

this_guy

LG cultivated loads of tech lust fans with the G2 and now without the S805 they are going to find themselves left behind. I wouldn't be surprised if the M8 Prime and S5 Prime "leak" to the press a day or two after the G3 is officially revealed. With S805 in tow.

You can't try and be the company that brings the heat with specs and then use a processor that will be outdated within weeks of release. The Z Ultra successor has been delayed to an IFA reveal/release because S805 won't be ready for their July window. LG should have done the same thing. They are competing with the S5, M8 and Z2 on a level playing field despite releasing 3 months down the line. I find it hard to believe that a 25% increase in DPI is going to drive any sales to them that wouldn't also want to wait for an S805 device.

If it's like other LG phones that means it'll lose value quick and I'll be able to find one cheap on craigslist which is a win for me. But from a business perspective you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom