• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that the "L" in Android L stands for Lollipop:
G%2B-final.gif

Lemon meringue layer cake. Screw your Lollipop.

Android Auto Material

do_02_music.png

Google just released a set of Android Auto developer documents to developer.android.com, which details a little more of Google's in-car platform and gives developers a better sense of the system's capabilities.

Android Auto "apps" aren't really apps; they're additional Android Auto-specific content that developers add to their existing Android apps. This is exactly the way Android Wear works. Developers don't have separate phone, watch, and car apps; they just include additional interface attributes in their regular apps that display on the other form factors.

Developers don't get to design interfaces in Android Auto, it's more of a "fill-in-the-blanks" style of app development. Google makes the interface layout, and developers get to change the colors, button actions, and text of that interface. Apps also provide a content stream for playback, and that's pretty much it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So my LG G2 has a grey mark down the left side of the screen and the bottom left corner. The mark isn't the same size thoughout.

Any ideas on how to sort it out?

reKon

Banned
That's great to hear and encouraging. How long would you say you've been browsing? Having the brightness on max all day and still be able to get those results is incredible.

Maybe 3.5 hours browsing, some phone calls, a lot of texting, music streamin from Google Play for 40 mins, and taking some pictures. I was also drinking the entire day so I could be off a little lol. Ended the night with 5% battery left and 6.5 hours of screen time

and was that Licorice on there too?
You're disgusting. Licorice is the bane of my existence. Absolutely disgusting "candy".
Maybe 3.5 hours browsing, some phone calls, a lot of texting, music streamin from Google Play for 40 mins, and taking some pictures. I was also drinking the entire day so I could be off a little lol. Ended the night with 5% battery left and 6.5 hours of screen time

You were drunk while posting these results?! It could be 65 hours but you thought you saw 6.5 . Now I can't trust you anymore
/s

Stock means the OS it shipped with (or was subsequently updated to) -- basically what the device was "stocked" with. TouchWiz is stock on Galaxy phones. Moto skin is stock on Moto phones. Sony skin is stock on Sony phones.

What you guys are calling stock is better referred to as Google Experience, or AOSP (although I'm not sure if AOSP by definition excludes Google Apps).

NotBacon

It's not stock.

Ok here's the thing, no one is actually stock. No manufacturer ships a phone with AOSP, not even Googy. They put the GNL on there, the Gapps, Google camera, etc.

So yes Moto is running stock just as much as Google is running stock. They've added an app called Moto, their camera app, and they're using GNL. They haven't done any OS modifications iirc.

Ok here's the thing, no one is actually stock. No manufacturer ships a phone with AOSP, not even Googy. They put the GNL on there, the Gapps, Google camera, etc.

So yes Moto is running stock just as much as Google is running stock. They've added an app called Moto, their camera app, and they're using GNL. They haven't done any OS modifications iirc.

and LG just added some LG apps...

-PXG-

So Google putting their own apps, on the OS they make and one they solely update via OTA doesn't make it stock. Damn. Where the fuck have I been

😟

kehs

Banned

The voice of reason in this mad place.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Stock sucks anyway. Crap customization options.

Give me CM or SlimKat over stock any day.

Volotaire

Ouch, I have been reading reviews of the Sony Xperia SP and M2. On paper, the former seems much superior to the Moto G with its higher specs, better camera and design, but a lot of users and reviews have expressed lag issues and bad battery.

Stock is boring and barebones. Yes it is good for having little bloatware and crap on it, but in terms of customization and options, any other UX has much more.

manfestival

Stock means the OS it shipped with (or was subsequently updated to) -- basically what the device was "stocked" with. TouchWiz is stock on Galaxy phones. Moto skin is stock on Moto phones. Sony skin is stock on Sony phones.

What you guys are calling stock is better referred to as Google Experience, or AOSP (although I'm not sure if AOSP by definition excludes Google Apps).

Dude relax, everyone knows what we mean. It's just phones.

Toki767

This AT&T promotion is tempting...for an extra $25 a month, I can get 30GB of mobile share data for my family plan. I don't stream music or video on my phone so my data usage is pretty minimal, but I'd be tempted to do this just so that I could.

Husker86

This AT&T promotion is tempting...for an extra $25 a month, I can get 30GB of mobile share data for my family plan. I don't stream music or video on my phone so my data usage is pretty minimal, but I'd be tempted to do this just so that I could.

Holy shit. I don't even use my 10 (I have 3 other people on my plan with me too), but I kinda hold myself back. This is extremely tempting...

edit: made the change, effective next billing cycle. I'll be adding my girlfriend to my plan next year which will bring my total lines to 5. Just can't pass this up.

Toki767

Holy shit. I don't even use my 10 (I have 3 other people on my plan with me too), but I kinda hold myself back. This is extremely tempting...

edit: made the change, effective next billing cycle. I'll be adding my girlfriend to my plan next year which will bring my total lines to 5. Just can't pass this up.

With my 15% off, it'll 30GB for 4 phones for like $197 or something. It's extremely tempting.

kharma45

Ouch, I have been reading reviews of the Sony Xperia SP and M2. On paper, the former seems much superior to the Moto G with its higher specs, better camera and design, but a lot of users and reviews have expressed lag issues and bad battery.

Kit Kat was also shelved for the SP.

markot

Banned
Monopoly?

Samsung phones and others come with their own aosp web browsers as default along side chrome. The aosp browser has double the market share of chrome mobile still. Email is an app that is from the aosp and most manufacturers skin or alter a bit. You can also disable most Google services.

Learn what monopoly means.

In this conversation, stock was referring to stock Google, , not manufacturer stock.
for reals people. Anyway what would it take for me to get that phone? Why can't a manufacturer make the perfect device/line of devices. Or something close to it.

I hate these tradeoffs. They have time. I got the iphone 6 for now but I'm willing to dump it at a moments notice for the device I described :p

Windam

Scaley member
I really want the Z3, but I can see Sony going Bell/Rogers exclusive in Canada again. That plus a high price point to buy it unlocked... I ordered a OnePlus One today (thanks to TokiDoki leaving some invites in the thread). I... made the right choice, right?

kharma45

I really want the Z3, but I can see Sony going Bell/Rogers exclusive in Canada again. That plus a high price point to buy it unlocked... I ordered a OnePlus One today (thanks to TokiDoki leaving some invites in the thread). I... made the right choice, right?

It's a good device for what you pay for it. It's not perfect but no phone is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom