• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want the Z3, but I can see Sony going Bell/Rogers exclusive in Canada again. That plus a high price point to buy it unlocked... I ordered a OnePlus One today (thanks to TokiDoki leaving some invites in the thread). I... made the right choice, right?

You should of waited a bit longer. I'm sure Sony will announce something regarding Canada on the 9th. As for the OnePlus One, it's good for the price, but I've read that it had some issues with hardware and OS.

PaulLFC

I really want the Z3, but I can see Sony going Bell/Rogers exclusive in Canada again. That plus a high price point to buy it unlocked... I ordered a OnePlus One today (thanks to TokiDoki leaving some invites in the thread). I... made the right choice, right?
It probably would have been my phone over the Z3 except for some reason it doesn't do band 20 4G which is what most of the networks over here and in other parts of Europe use.

-PXG-

for reals people. Anyway what would it take for me to get that phone? Why can't a manufacturer make the perfect device/line of devices. Or something close to it.

I hate these tradeoffs. They have time. I got the iphone 6 for now but I'm willing to dump it at a moments notice for the device I described :p

Go Nexus baby

reKon

Banned
for reals people. Anyway what would it take for me to get that phone? Why can't a manufacturer make the perfect device/line of devices. Or something close to it.

I hate these tradeoffs. They have time. I got the iphone 6 for now but I'm willing to dump it at a moments notice for the device I described :p

Should have gone with my phone. Sony's skin is pretty much near stock android and the phone just doesn't lag.

Windam

Scaley member
You should of waited a bit longer. I'm sure Sony will announce something regarding Canada on the 9th. As for the OnePlus One, it's good for the price, but I've read that it had some issues with hardware and OS.

Arrrrrrrgh I'm so damn indecisive. Same amount of RAM, same processor (?), and the 64GB OPO and a case came in at just $450 CAD but the Z3 looks so damn sleek and PS4 remote play... But it'll run $699-$799 CAD. I know it. Guess I'll stick with the OPO.

Toki767

Arrrrrrrgh I'm so damn indecisive. Same amount of RAM, same processor (?), and the 64GB OPO and a case came in at just $450 CAD but the Z3 looks so damn sleek and PS4 remote play... But it'll run $699-$799 CAD. I know it. Guess I'll stick with the OPO.
You get what you pay for. That's really all that needs to be said about it.

I know exactly what you're talking about though. The Z3 will probably be the same in the U.S. Then I'll just end up getting the G3 or Moto X :(

NH Apache

Banned

If you root, the remote play app is out there for ya.

NotBacon

Should have gone with my phone. Sony's skin is pretty much near stock android and the phone just doesn't lag.

Z3?

Like frame rate or touch input latency, or both? Because some reviewer mentioned he saw minor lag but didn't specify.

Also how is the camera? Another reviewer said it was good but inconsistent.

Quasar

Z3?

Like frame rate or touch input latency, or both? Because some reviewer mentioned he saw minor last but didn't specify.

Also how is the camera? Another reviewer said it was good but inconsistent.

I never really understood why Sony did not have the best camera phones. They are the only camera company with are a phone maker. Or rather I don't know why they haven't tried to make a super camera phone like Nokia tried with the 40 megapixel pureview.

Toki767

I never really understood why Sony did not have the best camera phones. They are the only camera company with are a phone maker. Or rather I don't know why they haven't tried to make a super camera phone like Nokia tried with the 40 megapixel pureview.
Samsung makes cameras too. They all pretty much use the same sensors. They just don't seem to have the other parts down (software mostly)

Good cameras deal with the software used. It's not surprising that Apple, a software company, has one of, if not, the best cameras. Sony should of partnered with with a software company. They would no doubt have the best camera. Without amazing software, Sony still manage to have some of the best cameras out of any smartphone.

Groof

First of all it has to do with software. Sony seems to have problems with that. Second, the different sony divisions have had little to no communication at all, so if sony mobile would never get any help from sony imaging and vice versa. This is why sonys cameras take amazing photos but their phones don't. Kaz has been trying to rectify that and get them all to work together, but it's been a slow haul.

Quasar

First of all it has to do with software. Sony seems to have problems with that. Second, the different sony divisions have had little to no communication at all, so if sony mobile would never get any help from sony imaging and vice versa. This is why sonys cameras take amazing photos but their phones don't. Kaz has been trying to rectify that and get them all to work together, but it's been a slow haul.

So much for Kazes One Sony.

As for software, its not like Sony doesn't have any experienced people writing camera software. I guess they should borrow some programmers from the camera division.

Groof

So much for Kazes One Sony.

As for software, its not like Sony doesn't have any experienced people writing camera software. I guess they should borrow some programmers from the camera division.
Yeah but he's trying though. Many things they've incorporated, especially in mobile, wouldn't have been possible without their cooperation. So they're slowly getting there. Hopefully soon they'll have competent people from all divisions helping eachother out.

thuway

Good cameras deal with the software used. It's not surprising that Apple, a software company, has one of, if not, the best cameras. Sony should of partnered with with a software company. They would no doubt have the best camera. Without amazing software, Sony still manage to have some of the best cameras out of any smartphone.

I whole heartedly agree. They are always one step short of greatness, no matter what the case, and it's just sad to see.

Nexus 6 rumors or lack thereof are killing me.

Between the continued confusion over the Shamu and Moto S and the lack of pictures of the damned thing in the wild, I'm going insane.

This feels like the longest we've gone without leaks of the new Nexus in years. I guess Motorola has a tighter lid on their supply chain than LG.

yyzjohn

Banned
Nexus 6 rumors or lack thereof are killing me.

Between the continued confusion over the Shamu and Moto S and the lack of pictures of the damned thing in the wild, I'm going insane.

This feels like the longest we've gone without leaks of the new Nexus in years. I guess Motorola has a tighter lid on their supply chain than LG.

Won't be much longer now, October is this week i'm sure we'll find out something in the next week or so.

spwolf

i dont see whats so slow about it... Z3 camera shots look better than Z2, a lot in some cases, with same sensor.

Apple spends a lot more money into developing phones than Sony does and yet iPhone 6 is in many ways inferior device to Z3C.

Everyone is trying to be better, world is not standing still and waiting for Sony, Apple or Samsung.

Groof

i dont see whats so slow about it... Z3 camera shots look better than Z2, a lot in some cases, with same sensor.

Apple spends a lot more money into developing phones than Sony does and yet iPhone 6 is in many ways inferior device to Z3C.

Everyone is trying to be better, world is not standing still and waiting for Sony, Apple or Samsung.

The thing that's slow about it is that the improvements are very marginal at best, even when the sensor in the Xperia phones is above and beyond better than any other. It's not utilised to it's full extent because of a hardcore post-processing method that makes every picture look, well, overprocessed.

That's not to say it's still not good or even better than a lot of the competition, but it could be so much more.

JayDub

So, with International Variants, if I import it to USA, what am I missing? Will they get LTE on Tmobiles or ATT's network?

Specifically asking about S5, Note 4 and Sony's Z line.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So, with International Variants, if I import it to USA, what am I missing? Will they get LTE on Tmobiles or ATT's network?

Specifically asking about S5, Note 4 and Sony's Z line.

Why would you import if the phone is gonna be available here? People are/were importing the Sony stuff because Sony takes forever and a day to release shit state side.

Anyways you need to check the bands and see if they match and then provision your sim card to in the new device for LTE.

Toki767

Why would you import if the phone is gonna be available here? People are/were importing the Sony stuff because Sony takes forever and a day to release shit state side.

Anyways you need to check the bands and see if they match and then provision your sim card to in the new device for LTE.

AT&T adds a ton of bloatware and Carrier IQ. Plus unlocked bootloaders for importing usually.

NH Apache

Banned
The thing that's slow about it is that the improvements are very marginal at best, even when the sensor in the Xperia phones is above and beyond better than any other. It's not utilised to it's full extent because of a hardcore post-processing method that makes every picture look, well, overprocessed.

That's not to say it's still not good or even better than a lot of the competition, but it could be so much more.

Here's to hoping that someone, via rom or Sony update, releases better camera software to take full advantage of the awesome hardware. Oct 9th is pretty much the confirmed US release date for T-Mobile?

Volotaire

So I bought the Moto G. After looking at my Google Play Apps, I realised some of the important ones on Windows phones that I use daily (such as my university app, etc) are not even available on there (no surprise) and that even normal social media apps like tumblr haven't been updated for months - a year. Snapchat apparently only has 3rd party solutions too. Cortana hasn't arrived in Europe yet either. The Moto E seemed like it would be a bit of a pain to use for more than 6 months (and no front camera), and the other cheap Android handsets had really questionable UI and screens. It seemed the G justified the extra cost of the E even if I went over budget.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Depending on the phone, unlocked versions aren't necessarily sold in the US and importing is the only way.

The phone's he mentioned are all unlocked though (not including the Note 4 since it isn't out yet). You can get the S5 and Z2 unlocked in the states though.

Groof

Here's to hoping that someone, via rom or Sony update, releases better camera software to take full advantage of the awesome hardware. Oct 9th is pretty much the confirmed US release date for T-Mobile?
Yes. L is going to bring a lot of software APIs and tweaks to the camera stuff including RAW support, so let's hope that can help kick Sony in the butt to improve.

manfestival

What is a good news reader that is similar to blinkfeed? I loved having blinkfeed on the htc one. I tried flipbook but I didnt like the lack of customization and I hated the overall experience.

kharma45

So I bought the Moto G. After looking at my Google Play Apps, I realised some of the important ones on Windows phones that I use daily (such as my university app, etc) are not even available on there (no surprise) and that even normal social media apps like tumblr haven't been updated for months - a year. Snapchat apparently only has 3rd party solutions too. Cortana hasn't arrived in Europe yet either. The Moto E seemed like it would be a bit of a pain to use for more than 6 months (and no front camera), and the other cheap Android handsets had really questionable UI and screens. It seemed the G justified the extra cost of the E even if I went over budget.

Yeah more nice apps like one for a uni you won't get on WP. Cortana is available but you need to enrol in the dev preview.

I'd have went for the G over the E too. Not a massive amount more but a better experience all round.

Dakota47

Anyone here with an Xperia Z3c yet? Dunno why but I am a bit obsessed with that phone. I've been using a Galaxy S4 for the last year and a half and while I like it I also think it's too damn big. The Z3c seems to have the perfect size for me. I can upgrade in about three months time, so here's hoping there will be a stock Android version out by then.

Drakken

Upgraded from my S3 to a G3 a couple weeks ago right before a family vacation, and I'm pleased with it so far. Camera is fantastic (took a ton of photos on the trip), which was the biggest factor for me when deciding between phones.

Buying a case now... any recommendations?

Upgraded to a G3 a couple weeks ago right before a family vacation, and I'm pleased with it so far. Camera is fantastic (took a ton of photos), which was the biggest factor for me when deciding between phones.

Buying a case now... which ones do you G3 owners recommend?

Spigen Slim Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom