• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So I'm looking at Groupon today and notice that Nexus 7 is being offered at $160 for a 32gb unit. Is this something I should jump on or wait for the rumored 8?

I don't plan on playing any games, but I'd like a tablet for digital comics, books, browsing the web and watching Giantbomb while I game on my couch. For that price point I kinda wouldn't mind being a couple years behind tech wise, but with that said will that gap be noticeable if that's all I'm using it for? Is there a good amount of apps to be found for my needs? I probably won't be cracking the device since I rarely ever so that sort of thing to my electronics so that's not really an option.

zatara

Wps78EP.jpg

nQP9fi7.jpg

ZzcZZ0d.jpg

Verizon moto x 2014 WiFi only..location set to battery saver

Battery was @50% at that time

reKon

Banned
Anyone here with an Xperia Z3c yet? Dunno why but I am a bit obsessed with that phone. I've been using a Galaxy S4 for the last year and a half and while I like it I also think it's too damn big. The Z3c seems to have the perfect size for me. I can upgrade in about three months time, so here's hoping there will be a stock Android version out by then.

Yes, it's the perfect phone for me. Literally no complaints here. I mean There was bloatware on it, but I just uninstalled it. No big deal..

It's nice to have a great camera on a phone for the first time and Micro SD card expansion for all my pictures and Google Music cache.

mturco

This Is The Motorola Nexus 6: A 5.9" QHD Display, 3200mAh+ Battery, Dual Front-Facing Speakers, And More

Welp.

So here's the big question (get it?) - will there be a smaller option for those with normal-sized hands and no desire for a gigantic phone? That's seeming very implausible.
With this new confirmation, we are at a 9/10 confidence level that Shamu - the Nexus 6 - will be the new Nexus phone at 5.9". We've seen a ton of evidence from multiple sources (and other outlets) to suggest this, while we've heard absolutely nothing credible about a smaller Nexus phone this year.

That leaves two options - either Google has somehow managed to keep a smaller Nexus phone a total secret while Shamu leaked all over the place, or there is no smaller Nexus phone. The hope for those who want to join the Nexus party this year without buying a phablet would be that Google would continue shipping the more reasonably-sized Nexus 5.

Still too big. And it's ugly.

Not really. The one plus one feels pretty good in my hands. Not a fan of the design in the mockup, but I'll wait until I see the final device before making a judgment on looks. The one plus one will be pretty hard to beat looks wise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If that really is the real deal then...

we can confirm that the edge of the device will have the same aluminum frame as the new Moto X, and the back will carry the same sort of camera module (a 13MP shooter with OIS) with the new dual-flash ring configuration.

is not the camera we've been looking for unless L is some super fucking wizardry.

Volotaire

I hope that they reveal an updated smaller version or a updated nexus 5 because.... that is too large. That is 5.9 inches not including the top and bottom real estate.

Guess I'm gonna have to deal with a 5.9" device then. Still hoping for a new Nexus 5 with either a 5.2" or 5.5" display. At least the battery is large, finally, and I don't care about having a really great camera on a phone.

I'm guessing the price starts at $400, which is still significantly cheaper than other phones with similar specs.

NotBacon

I think the reason they're going with 5.9" for the N6 is because if they made a smaller version of it, you would just get the Moto X essentially. So there's no point in making a smaller N6.

Either Moto really dropped the ball, or Googy/Moto are both betting on L making the Moto X and N6 well-rounded devices.

reKon

Banned
All I care about is Nexus 9 news. I'm hoping that it's going to be:

1) Not too premium priced

2) Battery will be at least decent

I still love my Nexus 7, but I'm definitely most looking towards the screen size increase.

jey_16

Banned
I think the reason they're going with 5.9" for the N6 is because if they made a smaller version of it, you would just get the Moto X essentially. So there's no point in making a smaller N6.

Either Moto really dropped the ball, or Googy/Moto are both betting on L making the Moto X and N6 well-rounded devices.

I think also Google realises how many great android devices are out there in the 5-5.5 inch space. You have the S5, One M8, Z3, G3, Moto X, One + One ect. and then there is the Note 4 at 5.7 inches.

By releasing a Nexus 6 around 5 inches at a substantially reduced price, your basically screwing over the manufacturers. Would Motorola really want to release a better Moto X as the Nexus 6 and have google sell it cheaper as well? Who would even buy an X then?

I think also Google realises how many great android devices are out there in the 5-5.5 inch space. You have the S5, One M8, Z3, G3, Moto X, One + One ect. and then there is the Note 4 at 5.7 inches.

By releasing a Nexus 6 around 5 inches at a substantially reduced price, your basically screwing over the manufacturers. Would Motorola really want to release a better Moto X as the Nexus 6 and have google sell it cheaper as well? Who would even buy an X then?

Moto Maker, twist to open camera, Moto assist, touchless control and active display?

This isn't Samsung here. The Moto specific features are awesome.

Husker86

:( I may be saying goodbye to the Nexus line. I'm not really unhappy with the Nexus 5, so maybe I can wait until the April flagships next year.

I get the feeling there will be no Nexus 7 this year and the Nexus 6 is a sorta replacement, which is why the screen is so big. I think the only tablet will be the Nexus 9.

But Google couldn't possibly be so stupid as to drop its most popular device (N7), right?

If a phone has the physical 3 buttons on the bottom, is there any reason to use the onscreen ones instead besides habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom