• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh if you look at the photo samples in the Anandtech iPhone 6 review...

Anandtech

Specifically the out door shot during the day and night then click Moto X 2014.

Ugh... That's the supposed same sensor Shamu is gonna use. :/

Man, why does the Moto X have to have all the features I actually want in a phone, but have a so-so battery and a fugly camera? :(

I don't suppose there's any way I can install the Moto X software on another Android phone so that I can get the always on Moto Voice stuff, right? I'd love to be able to use voice commands without unlocking my phone.

I bought the Z3 Compact from Handtec. Couldn't hold out any longer. Will keep my Nexus 4 around but am excited to be able to not have to baby a phone to make the battery last throughout the day. Not excited that L is supposedly not coming to it until February.

I bought the Z3 Compact from Handtec. Couldn't hold out any longer. Will keep my Nexus 4 around but am excited to be able to not have to baby a phone to make the battery last throughout the day. Not excited that L is supposedly not coming to it until February.
What? For the Z3? Where did you find this information?

Aesius

Went to the Verizon store and played around with iPhone 6/Plus, Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, LG G3, and Moto X (2nd edition) today.

Coming from an aging and painfully slow Galaxy Nexus, the Moto X reminded me why I loved my Nexus in the first place. Stock Android is just a must have for me at this point.

It sucks that the camera isn't fantastic, but it seems like the battery life is pretty good for its size.

I think I may drive back over there tonight and pick one up. I'm sick of waiting to upgrade, and Verizon may or may not even get the new Nexus.

Went to the Verizon store and played around with iPhone 6/Plus, Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, LG G3, and Moto X (2nd edition) today.

Coming from an aging and painfully slow Galaxy Nexus, the Moto X reminded me why I loved my Nexus in the first place. Stock Android is just a must have for me at this point.

It sucks that the camera isn't fantastic, but it seems like the battery life is pretty good for its size.

I think I may drive back over there tonight and pick one up. I'm sick of waiting to upgrade, and Verizon may or may not even get the new Nexus.
It's not. At least not yet. Android L will supposedly increase the battery life. Nice to hear that the UI is as good as ever.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
140930_155921d2jbu.png

Aesius

It's not. At least not yet. Android L will supposedly increase the battery life. Nice to hear that the UI is as good as ever.

Well, you have to understand that I'm coming from a Nexus with absolutely abysmal battery life.

Pretty much any phone I pick up will be an upgrade, but I really want to retain the stock Android experience.

Well, you have to understand that I'm coming from a Nexus with absolutely abysmal battery life.

Pretty much any phone I pick up will be an upgrade, but I really want to retain the stock Android experience.
Understandable. Any phone will be an upgrade over my phone as well. Especially in regard to battery life. It's precisely for that reason why I won't get a phone with 'average' life. I can't stand having my phone dying by midday.
These guys apparently.

That's ok, Sony's already like three editions of android ahead of aosp anyways.
Well we'll see how long it will take to upgrade. I highly doubt it will take long.

I owned the VZW Gnex, the gsm Gnex, the nexus 4, the nexus 5 and have had the 2013 Moto X for about 9 Months now. I have been the most happy with the X by far.

I absolutely love the 2013 Moto X and the 2014 is significantly better. The difference in battery life coming from the Galaxy Nexus will be NIGHT and DAY.

Aesius

I owned the VZW Gnex, the gsm Gnex, the nexus 4, the nexus 5 and have had the 2013 Moto X for about 9 Months now. I have been the most happy with the X by far.

I absolutely love the 2013 Moto X and the 2014 is significantly better. The difference in battery life coming from the Galaxy Nexus will be NIGHT and DAY.

Awesome!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I know there are technically "better" phones on the market, but I also know that I would regret getting anything that isn't stock Android.

I'm a software purist. I like barebones everything, so the idea of having not only bloatware apps but a bloatware UI is just awful to me.

Toki767

Awesome!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I know there are technically "better" phones on the market, but I also know that I would regret getting anything that isn't stock Android.

I'm a software purist. I like barebones everything, so the idea of having not only bloatware apps but a bloatware UI is just awful to me.

It's not technically bloatware free. No phone is other than a Nexus phone.

thespot84

It's not technically bloatware free. No phone is other than a Nexus phone.

True, the moto x 2013 comes with active display, moto assist, moto migrate, moto's camera, moto help, and moto connect and moto camera.

I used migrate to transfer stuff from my old gnex, easier than sms backup and restore.

I use assist every day (knows when you're driving, at home, in meetings etc and changes stuff. like auto tasker).

I use connect every day (sms from desktop chrome extension, my at&t number, not gvoice))

Help is a shortcut to email or call motorola support, which is neat.

I keep both the asop camera for stuff like photosphere and moto camera for the quick capture (shake your wrist to open camera, super fast).

Active display changed how I use my phone, it's awesome.

The only thing i've ever disabled is gapps 'email' (technically, google apps are bloatware)

If that's bloatware, then I'll take bloatware any day.

I got tired of waiting for Android to not be shitty on tablets and ordered a Surface Pro 2. The media player apps for Android are all shit compared to MPC HC and I need x86 and Windows for that.

Why the 2 instead on the 3? Because I decided I didn't want a 12 inch tablet, I already have a laptop. Also Wacom > Ntrig. Also LOL at the home button placement on the 3.

thespot84

I got tired of waiting for Android to not be shitty on tablets and ordered a Surface Pro 2. The media player apps for Android are all shit compared to MPC HC and I need x86 and Windows for that.

Why the 2 instead on the 3? Because I decided I didn't want a 12 inch tablet, I already have a laptop. Also Wacom > Ntrig. Also LOL at the home button placement on the 3.

what are the shortcomings of google music/mxplayer?

Toki767

True, the moto x 2013 comes with active display, moto assist, moto migrate, moto's camera, moto help, and moto connect and moto camera.

I used migrate to transfer stuff from my old gnex, easier than sms backup and restore.

I use assist every day (knows when you're driving, at home, in meetings etc and changes stuff. like auto tasker).

I use connect every day (sms from desktop chrome extension, my at&t number, not gvoice))

Help is a shortcut to email or call motorola support, which is neat.

I keep both the asop camera for stuff like photosphere and moto camera for the quick capture (shake your wrist to open camera, super fast).

Active display changed how I use my phone, it's awesome.

The only thing i've ever disabled is gapps 'email' (technically, google apps are bloatware)

If that's bloatware, then I'll take bloatware any day.

It is bloatware and it's fine that it's bloatware. I just don't know why some people get bent over needing the stock Google experience when the stock Google experience actually sucks. Bloatware can be a good thing if the OEMs do a good job implementing them.

reKon

Banned
People need to stop freaking out about bloatware all the time. I can't believe that's actually a negative in some of these reviews. It should be ONLY a negative if you can't remove it from your ROM, especially if it's not useful at all. When I got my phone there are some that I kept and some that I got rid of. It literally takes less than a second to uninstall.

If it's really that bad for you, you can root and remove all that junk. That's what I did with my HTC One from T-Mobile (not sure how much bloatware they actually did put on that thing).

thespot84

It is bloatware and it's fine that it's bloatware. I just don't know why some people get bent over needing the stock Google experience when the stock Google experience actually sucks. Bloatware can be a good thing if the OEMs do a good job implementing them.

Is google experience launcher stock?

*hi-5*

kehs

Banned

Google's bloatware edition of android is only going to get worse. Apparently they want more of their junk preloaded as well on other's devices.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...s-apps-preinstalled-on-android-devices-599478

Pretty soon they're gonna add tabs on their launcher for just all their Play properties.

Blackhead

Redarse
Google's bloatware edition of android is only going to get worse. Apparently they want more of their junk preloaded as well on other's devices.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...s-apps-preinstalled-on-android-devices-599478

Pretty soon they're gonna add tabs on their launcher for just all their Play properties.

I didn't even know Google had 20 Android apps. What else is there? Or are they going to force OEMs to install Ingress? lol, I'll won't bother getting my pitchfork until stock Android comes with a Stocks app.

what are the shortcomings of google music/mxplayer?

You ever try playing any 720p+ 10-bit H.264 mkv video with embedded subtitles on Android media player apps? Not that any default Google or OEM video player even supports this.

MX Player is neat but it chokes hard on most devices which don't accelerate 10-bit playback in hardware and expose the feature to the OS properly. If I'm going to piss away money on a new device I might as well buy one that is actually x86, runs Windows, and can run MPC HC which literally plays everything correctly.

I can't wait to see how iOS and Android devices will try to handle HEVC/H.265 playback. They will all melt and die unless you buy a new phone or tablet with hardware support for decoding that. I'll just update to the latest version of MPC HC.

Because the stock Google experience doesn't suck. It's objectively wrong to say that it does.

----

Anyway, the only thing I consider bloatware is carrier shit, or duplicate shit that tries to replicate the Google shit and is not actually better than the Google shit. For example, Samsung's Multi window feature isn't bloat, but S Translate is. Verizon Navigator is also bloat.

For me, I'm going back to Nexus devices because they have the most community support of all Android devices. They're the easiest to root, and if I want to flash a ROM one day, they're the easiest to do so with. But hell, I don't even want the bone stock Google experience. I want the Google look and feel with more features, which I'm only able to find in custom ROMs like AOKP or ParanoidAndroid (fuck CM), or by rooting and using xposed. These features aren't available in any OEM devices either.

If LG, Samsung, HTC and any other OEM could just leave the look and feel alone, I'd be less bothered by their software. If OEMs added their features, apps and other crap to the stock ui, similar to what moto does, then I'd have much less of a problem with their software. Even better, if OEMs could get rid of the gimmicky useless features, apps, and bloat so that devices don't have so little available storage compared to a Nexus, then I'd have less of a problem with their software. My 16gb S4 had something like 9.6gb of storage space free out of the box. My old 16gb nexus had like 11gb free out of the box.

I know everyone doesn't like stock and that's fine. I understand why some of you like Samsung devices or LG or Sony. I really do. (Multi window is one of my favorite smartphone features ever.) I've never been one to say that stock is the best for everyone; it's not even best for me aside from the look and feel, but at this point, I'd take the stock Google experience over using a phone with an OEM's skin.

----

Really sorry for the long post.

NotBacon

You ever try playing any 720p+ 10-bit H.264 mkv video with embedded subtitles on Android media player apps? Not that any default Google or OEM video player even supports this.

MX Player is neat but it chokes hard on most devices which don't accelerate 10-bit playback in hardware and expose the feature to the OS properly. If I'm going to piss away money on a new device I might as well buy one that is actually x86, runs Windows, and can run MPC HC which literally plays everything correctly.

I can't wait to see how iOS and Android devices will try to handle HEVC/H.265 playback. They will all melt and die unless you buy a new phone or tablet with hardware support for decoding that. I'll just update to the latest version of MPC HC.

Congrats, you're in a very small minority. This is not even on their top ten list when improving new devices.

Is google experience launcher stock?

If you define stock as AOSP, which most do, then no.

Quasar

I'm sure plex will work just fine once is supports hevc :)

Quasar

Does anybody care more about bone stock android than battery life? Well I guess nexus users, but that's not really a minority or vanishing?

Probably not many. But then battery probably should be the #1 priority. Though I'd put stockness (and timely updates) above say screen resolution for me.

You know what is a vanishingly small minority? People who care more about bone stock Android than battery life.

You are clueless. No one gives a shit about the tech you are crying about.

General consumers care about cool looking things that are easy to use, and simple regardless if they have shitty battery life. Case and point the iPhone

You are clueless. No one gives a shit about the tech you are crying about.

General consumers care about cool looking things that are easy to use, and simple regardless if they have shitty battery life. Case and point the iPhone

You are clueless. I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

So I have a friend who has an S3 that gets piss poor battery life now. Like, he was just charging it through his laptop while using it, and it died. The struggle is far too real and I need to find out if there's a way to help him.

Is there any enlightenment anyone can offer me on this? He tried doing something to it where it would let him install a ROM on it, but apparently it failed because he's on kitkat, and the device bootloader is supposedly stuck on kitkat now too or something. I have absolutely no clue what that means or what to do with it, but I feel bad for him at this point. If I can contact him at any point in time throughout the day it's a borderline miracle. He says it's been like this ever since he upgraded to kitkat. Short of buying a new phone, what can be done to help him out?

kehs

Banned
So I have a friend who has an S3 that gets piss poor battery life now. Like, he was just charging it through his laptop while using it, and it died. The struggle is far too real and I need to find out if there's a way to help him.

Is there any enlightenment anyone can offer me on this? He tried doing something to it where it would let him install a ROM on it, but apparently it failed because he's on kitkat, and the device bootloader is supposedly stuck on kitkat now too or something. I have absolutely no clue what that means or what to do with it, but I feel bad for him at this point. If I can contact him at any point in time throughout the day it's a borderline miracle. He says it's been like this ever since he upgraded to kitkat. Short of buying a new phone, what can be done to help him out?

Has he tried a factory reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom