• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avixph

So I have a friend who has an S3 that gets piss poor battery life now. Like, he was just charging it through his laptop while using it, and it died. The struggle is far too real and I need to find out if there's a way to help him.

Is there any enlightenment anyone can offer me on this? He tried doing something to it where it would let him install a ROM on it, but apparently it failed because he's on kitkat, and the device bootloader is supposedly stuck on kitkat now too or something. I have absolutely no clue what that means or what to do with it, but I feel bad for him at this point. If I can contact him at any point in time throughout the day it's a borderline miracle. He says it's been like this ever since he upgraded to kitkat. Short of buying a new phone, what can be done to help him out?
Tell him to reduce his phone's screen brightness to zero, and to place it in airplane mode when not in use.

Ocho

So I have a friend who has an S3 that gets piss poor battery life now. Like, he was just charging it through his laptop while using it, and it died. The struggle is far too real and I need to find out if there's a way to help him.

Is there any enlightenment anyone can offer me on this? He tried doing something to it where it would let him install a ROM on it, but apparently it failed because he's on kitkat, and the device bootloader is supposedly stuck on kitkat now too or something. I have absolutely no clue what that means or what to do with it, but I feel bad for him at this point. If I can contact him at any point in time throughout the day it's a borderline miracle. He says it's been like this ever since he upgraded to kitkat. Short of buying a new phone, what can be done to help him out?

His battery is probably busted. Tell him to buy a new one.

NotBacon

Absolute best advice would be for him to just get a Moto G 4g.

Second best: If he doesn't know what he's doing, he probably shouldn't be messing with ROMs. It might make things worse.

I'd say backup anything important and do a factory reset. Then buy a new battery, disable any bloatware that will run in the background, and be conservative with his app installs.

Avixph

Is this the Nexus 6?
1B26983C62C8C2F5F23758744C2DC219ED8F

I found the gif in the 6 Nexus Secrets article by Google.

mturco

Look close to the top and bottom of the screen. See the large black gap? It looks like they stretched the Nexus 4 so that they can fit the demo inside the device screen.

Yep, you're right. Did an intern do this or something? Pretty terrible.

charging it thru a laptop and using it and it dying is normal. you are basically trickle charging and depending on usage, it can be consuming more power than it receives from a laptop USB port. also, if he's had it for ~2 years now, the battery could also just be worn out.

Anyone here use Cricket wireless? Would my coverage be the same as if I were still on ATT? Or worse?

Guess I'm confused on how these prepaid services work. They utilize the bigger carriers existing networks right!

linkboy

Anyone here use Cricket wireless? Would my coverage be the same as if I were still on ATT? Or worse?

Guess I'm confused on how these prepaid services work. They utilize the bigger carriers existing networks right!

Cricket is essentially AT&T since they're owned by AT&T. They used to be called AIO, AT&T just bought Cricket and changed AIO to Cricket.

You should be able to get service anywhere that AT&T has service. The old Cricket network is being shut down and anyone using it will have to upgrade their phone.

Another option with AT&T is GoPhone (that's what I use with my Nexus 5). GoPhone is in the AT&T stores (both corporate and privately owned) where Cricket isn't, so it's easier to get service. With GoPhone, you're treated as if you have a contract with AT&T.

Sid

So I'm about to jump to a Note 4 within a few days and I have a few questions as this will be my first Android phone:-
How's the web browsing speed on the Note 3?
Do Android phones struggle to scroll through PDFs?
Is the Note 3 laggy in the Photos app?

rossonero

The Android game thread isn't that active, so I love how I can check what they are talking about in the iOS game thread and more often than not the game would also be available on the Play Store. Shows how Android has grown as a platform even though there are obviously still games and apps coming later or not at all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

And the N5 is only gonna get faster once it gets L, if nothing else because ART will be the default (and only) runtime. Dalvik's JIT compilation inevitably causes some lag when an app is started fresh (and also makes actions within an app take slightly longer), an issue ART doesn't have since it instead pre-compiles apps at install. So I'm pretty confident that if you were to repeat this test after L has been released, the N5 would win in every or almost every case.

Ashes

Banned
Got my Z3 compact today. Was intending to sell it off and keep going with my moto 4g. But damn, this is a lovely phone... can't seem to want to part with it.

Cricket is essentially AT&T since they're owned by AT&T. They used to be called AIO, AT&T just bought Cricket and changed AIO to Cricket.

You should be able to get service anywhere that AT&T has service. The old Cricket network is being shut down and anyone using it will have to upgrade their phone.

Another option with AT&T is GoPhone (that's what I use with my Nexus 5). GoPhone is in the AT&T stores (both corporate and privately owned) where Cricket isn't, so it's easier to get service. With GoPhone, you're treated as if you have a contract with AT&T.

What do you mean it's easier to get service? Just in terms of the initial sign up and activation process?

NotBacon

So I'm about to jump to a Note 4 within a few days and I have a few questions as this will be my first Android phone:-
How's the web browsing speed on the Note 3?
Do Android phones struggle to scroll through PDFs?
Is the Note 3 laggy in the Photos app?

The only surefire way to get iOS-like framerates is to get a Nexus or Moto X.

Samsung phones aren't generally known for their smoothness, but the Note 4 is a damn powerful phone, so it might be able to chug through TouchWiz better.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So last I heard this was only slated for China and other Asia territories. This coming state side or to Europe?

Next Wed is the HTC press event. Hopefully that clears up the HTC rumors.

The event is in NYC so it'll be about western devices.

Hasney

Z3 on contract will cost me £0 up front, then £40 a month for unlimited data, texts and calls. Would just need to pay of this old contract first.... Tempting.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The more I hear about the Z3, the more I want one. I also heard a rumor this morning that Sony is considering releasing AOSP ROMs for their devices. That would probably seal the deal for me.

Aesius

So I was dead-set on getting a Moto X today, but then I started reading about the Droid Turbo.

Do you guys think that's coming to Verizon, and if so, is it worth the wait?

I've been waiting three years to upgrade, so another month or two is nothing to me if it's for the right phone.

Toki767

So I was dead-set on getting a Moto X today, but then I started reading about the Droid Turbo.

I've been waiting three years to upgrade, so another month or two is nothing to me if it's for the right phone.

Yes. "Droid" is a Verizon branding.

Conceptor

Question: do you guys own any kind of micro usb L shaped adapters for your phones?

I feel as if my Nexus 4 charging cable is going to have issues where the female microUSB connector joins the rest of the cable because of the angle created when the phone is held landscape. I figure spending a buck or so on an L shaped adapter will alleviate that problem :lol.

Or I could just get a replacement cable when it breaks I guess...

snacknuts

we all knew her

The Turbo is probably at the top of my want list at the moment, assuming it has the same software that the Moto X has and will get updates as quickly.

VoxPop

But removable battery..

Aesius

The Turbo is probably at the top of my want list at the moment, assuming it has the same software that the Moto X has and will get updates as quickly.

Same here. I just hope it's not phablet-sized.

If it's like a super powerful version of the Moto X, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

obin_gam

Where did you get that? Looks so good.

In the store Elgiganten. It was actually a day late hehe, the bigger cities in Sweden got them yesterday.

I've found a problem though - I need to order a nano sim card. Supposedly the newer models cant take the "bigger" micro sim cards. So I cant use it as a phone until a couple of days...

The main difference is you will get the droid branding. Ringers wallpapers and possibly widgets, more bloat. You will also get updates after the moto x has received them first.

The moto x os is stock + moto apps
The droid os is stock + moto apps + droid apps

Edit: Also if physical appearance and hold is important to you there will probably be a large difference there as well.

linkboy

What do you mean it's easier to get service? Just in terms of the initial sign up and activation process?

If you don't have a cricket store near you, you have to do everything online.

With gophone, you can just go down to your local AT&T store.

That's why I went with gophone over cricket.

No matter what to go with, the coverage will be the same since its the same network

VoxPop

+ Verizon apps

PFFT everyone loves NFL Mobile and Verizon Ringtones and Verizon Droid Red Eye Wallpapers and Verizon Widgets and MyVerizon and Verizon PDF Reader and Verizon Navigator and Verizon Video/Music Store and Verizon Visual Voicemail and Verizon Root Kit and Verizon Bootloader Unlocker and trials to great best selling games like Bejeweled 2 and Peggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom