• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

If you don't have a cricket store near you, you have to do everything online.

With gophone, you can just go down to your local AT&T store.

That's why I went with gophone over cricket.

No matter what to go with, the coverage will be the same since its the same network

assuming the phone is gsm

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm slowly convincing my self to get hyped for Shamu. Apparently it's not much bigger than the Note 4 or iPhone 6 Plus which should be a size I'll able to live with. Also as a Moto X 2013 user, Shamu being a Moto phone gets me hyped!

Toki767

I'm slowly convincing my self to get hyped for Shamu. Apparently it's not much bigger than the Note 4 or iPhone 6 Plus which should be a size I'll able to live with. Also as a Moto X 2013 user, Shamu being a Moto phone gets me hyped!

Look up the new Huawei Ascend Mate 7 phone for size comparison. It's also a 6" phone with a fingerprint scanner on the back. Probably like what the Nexus 6 will be.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
This Guy Seems To Be Using Motorola's Nexus 6 While Commuting - AndroidPolice.com

nexus2cee_image_thumbsqita.png

manfestival

Would it be a good idea to switch from my regular tmobile plan to a prepaid plan? Currently paying off the htc one I bought sometime last year and the $100 a month feels like im paying way too much(I think its $24 extra for the phone itself but it seems high overall). Locally AT&T offers the best coverage followed closely by verizon and tmobile. I just got my moto g and I love the phone so I plan on staying with a GSM service.

So basically im asking if I should drop my regular plan and start doing prepaid to save some money and which plan is better between AT&T vs tmobile. Coverage in this area is good for both services so that is out of the way.

Aesius

The main difference is you will get the droid branding. Ringers wallpapers and possibly widgets, more bloat. You will also get updates after the moto x has received them first.

The moto x os is stock + moto apps
The droid os is stock + moto apps + droid apps

Edit: Also if physical appearance and hold is important to you there will probably be a large difference there as well.

But isn't rumored to be significantly more powerful than the Moto X with a better battery?

Or will that be negated if it has a 1440p display?

But isn't rumored to be significantly more powerful than the Moto X with a better battery?

If you don't talk on the phone a lot, I would get the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. 100 minutes with unlimited text and 5GB of 4G LTE is fantastic. Since T-Mobile has good coverage in your area, you're good to go.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Would it be a good idea to switch from my regular tmobile plan to a prepaid plan? Currently paying off the htc one I bought sometime last year and the $100 a month feels like im paying way too much(I think its $24 extra for the phone itself but it seems high overall). Locally AT&T offers the best coverage followed closely by verizon and tmobile. I just got my moto g and I love the phone so I plan on staying with a GSM service.

So basically im asking if I should drop my regular plan and start doing prepaid to save some money and which plan is better between AT&T vs tmobile. Coverage in this area is good for both services so that is out of the way.

What are you paying for though? Like how much data are you getting? That's what will help decide it for you.

Cricket is like $50 ($45 with autopay) for 3 gigs. I think it's $60 on T-Mo but you do get that free music streaming and the option to get a phone through T-Mo if you need one in the future.

linkboy

assuming the phone is gsm

Cricket is a GSM carrier only, AT&T is shutting down the old cricket CDMA network and will be moving people over to GSM phones.

All AT&T did was buy cricket and then change AIO's name. The new cricket is AIO.

You can't activate a cdma phone on cricket, unless it's unlocked and is GSM compatible.

NotBacon

Same here. I just hope it's not phablet-sized.

If it's like a super powerful version of the Moto X, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Every phone manufactured in the last year are "super powerful" and fine for most. In fact, many are saying the new Moto X is the most fluid phone they've ever used, which isn't hard to believe since it's essentially a Nexus 5 with a S801 instead of S800.

The Droid Turbo/(Quark?) will be mostly the same, but with a 1440p (excessive IMO), a S805 to drive that screen, a bigger battery, and droid+vzw bloat.

Performance should be about the same and the battery should last a little longer, at the cost of more bloat.

NotBacon

Take this with a huge grain of salt but apparently the Z3x has been leaked. An 810 Snapdragon processor, QHD, 4 GB of ram, 6.2" display,and the real star here: an ultra powerful curved camera that mimics the way human eye sees things.http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z3X-rumor--a-powerful-phone-with-a-powerful-camera_id61256
The Z3 ultra?

Eh, didn't Sony just publicly state they care more about their customers than spec sheets and would stay at 1080p?

It's not. From comparison pics with a g3, the nexus 6 is about the same size as a one plus one.

Shhhh shhhh there's a commotion remember?

ARGH MY TODDLER HANDS

Hasney

Nexus 6 is a great size. Just hope battery lasts comparative to the Z3 or I'm not interested. Especially considering it's unlikely to have SD card.

manfestival

What are you paying for though? Like how much data are you getting? That's what will help decide it for you.

Cricket is like $50 ($45 with autopay) for 3 gigs. I think it's $60 on T-Mo but you do get that free music streaming and the option to get a phone through T-Mo if you need one in the future.

in any given month I have managed to stay right under 2 gigs with tmobile. I have always considered myself a heavy user but many times I am sitting under a wifi signal and use that service for my needs. I also am not a user of the music services. Most of my tracks are on my phone and I keep it as such

vivftp

Eh, didn't Sony just publicly state they care more about their customers than spec sheets and would stay at 1080p?

They said it was not worth the tradeoff in battery life as of right now. Looks like they have hopes of getting around that.

VERY hopeful the Z3x is real as it would be an AMAZING upgrade over my Z Ultra.

Vanillalite

Take this with a huge grain of salt but apparently the Z3x has been leaked. An 810 Snapdragon processor, QHD, 4 GB of ram, 6.2" display,and the real star here: an ultra powerful curved camera that mimics the way human eye sees things.http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z3X-rumor--a-powerful-phone-with-a-powerful-camera_id61256
The Z3 ultra?

Don't ever think you are buying the boss doge Sony phone cause they always have something better coming out in like a month.

Maaaaan what the fudge is Google doing? Why is there still no Nexus/Android L launch event date? And why am I so impatient for more news on something I can't even afford at the moment?!

Zeppu

Maaaaan what the fudge is Google doing? Why is there still no Nexus/Android L launch event date? And why am I so impatient for more news on something I can't even afford at the moment?!

Last year we didn't get anything. One day the embargo lifted and then bam.

phoenixyz

Am I the only one who still hopes (and not just dreams) that Google will surprise us with a Nexus 5 (2014) along with the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9?

Toki767

Am I the only one who still hopes (and not just dreams) that Google will surprise us with a Nexus 5 (2014) along with the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9?

Well there were definitely still rumors of that unknown 5.2" QHD phone. Although that probably is the new Droid.

The higher res is going to be a dig on the battery. If that knocks it down to Moto X battery life is unknown.

What is a good bet is you are not going to see any benefits from the CPU and higher res display. The moto x 2014 has over double the chip speed of the 2013 while the turbo CPU is a incremental change from the 2014 CPU which like you said will be negated since its pushing so many more pixels

SimleuqiR

I hope too.

Though the signs are on the wall. By now we should have seen this smaller Nexus device. Or at the very least some leaked specifications. So the odds are against us.

Not that Google hasn't announce products without leaks. I think the Chromecast was a surprise to everyone.

phoenixyz

I hope too.

Though the signs are on the wall. By now we should have seen this smaller Nexus device. Or at the very least some leaked specifications. So the odds are against us.

Not that Google hasn't announce products without leaks. I think the Chromecast was a surprise to everyone.

I can't really remember, was there a Nexus 7 (2013) leak?

asdad123

I just got a oneplus one and I like the feel of this phone, but holy crap the battery on mine is horrible. I'm currently at 66% left with only 48 minutes of screen on time and that's the highest battery drain according to the settings at 23%. Android system is the next at only 11%.

Any idea how to fix this?

Vanillalite

I just got a oneplus one and I like the feel of this phone, but holy crap the battery on mine is horrible. I'm currently at 66% left with only 48 minutes of screen on time and that's the highest battery drain according to the settings at 23%. Android system is the next at only 11%.

Any idea how to fix this?

Make sure you are updated to the last software.

Groof

Yep I'm sold, if you couldn't tell. These photos just confirmed it. Now all that's needed is reports on camera and battery.

rrvv

rule of thumb. if you can reach all point int the screen with thumb using one hand. then it consider to be good size.

Nexus 5 kinda pushing it and seem Nexus 6 is not really the case for me. Nexus 6 simply unnecessary large and unnecessary big resolution when Nexus program supposed to be "basic" phone.

malyce

The higher res is going to be a dig on the battery. If that knocks it down to Moto X battery life is unknown.

What is a good bet is you are not going to see any benefits from the CPU and higher res display. The moto x 2014 has over double the chip speed of the 2013 while the turbo CPU is a incremental change from the 2014 CPU which like you said will be negated since its pushing so many more pixels
By this logic, the note 4 may also rival the moto x 2014 in for shit battery life no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom