• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_ncp0hmRGJf1qcluu2o2_r1_500.gif

It sounds.... Glorious.

If it were true. I have a hard time believing Sony would announce something like this after announcing the Z3 less than a month ago. The first thing that came to my mind for this is price. This thing would be quite expensive.

PaulLFC

Xperia Z3 arrived today. Beautiful device and the screen size is a lot more manageable than I was expecting.

Unfortunately had to ask Amazon to send out a replacement though - there is a small gap in the bezel coating towards the middle left of the lower bezel that lets light through when the screen is on (looks like a notification light but much smaller and a constant white light). When the screen's off, it doesn't show. It's almost as if some of whatever they use to make the coating for the bezel hasn't applied properly. It's only a couple of pixels wide, if that, but is one of those things that once I've noticed it, I notice it every time I put the screen on. Very strange problem that I've never seen before in a phone, it's almost like a stuck pixel, but showing through the bezel, not on the screen.

To Amazon's credit they sent a replacement straight away which should be here within a couple of days, then I can send back the defective phone. Hopefully the replacement doesn't have any issues.

Before I noticed the issue I'd been testing out the phone though - battery life seems good although I hadn't charged the device to full to test properly. Liking Sony's skin apart from the What's New that appears where Google Now would be, which is even more obnoxious than I'd feared when I read about it.

Bought the noise-cancelling headphones along with the phone and really like them. The phone picks up which headphones you've plugged in (only seems to work with Sony models) and you can set a custom profile for each. Noise cancelling seemed to work well but hadn't tested them for long.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
nexus-6-white-DL.jpg

nexus-6-black-DL.jpg

Well, these images are creations that are based off of information we have received, just like every other “leak” you have seen over the last couple of weeks. With that said, we have confidence in presenting these in-house made renders of what we believe the Nexus 6, made by Motorola, will look like from the back in both white and black.

You have seen front renderings a couple of times now, but nothing like this from the back. From what we know, there will be two color options initially, both white and black. And yes, the device will look exactly like the Moto X (2nd gen), only bigger. As can be seen in each image, the power and volume buttons have indeed been moved down the body ever-so-slightly, to make for easier use with the larger frame. You can also see that a vertically running “Nexus” logo will grace the back, just under the Motorola logo, something that was either hidden or not yet included in last week’s showing of the device next to an LG G3.

A report from last week that showed a similar mock-up was confused on the design of the back, and whether or not the Motorola dimple/logo would be present. While things can always change last minute, we are confident that the Motorola dimple/logo will be present, though its background could be a darker shade of grey depending on model.

We don’t currently have anything new to report on specs, other than we have heard similar details to previous reports. We also do not have any new launch details to share at this time.

Thoughts?

Avixph

nexus-6-white-DL.jpg

nexus-6-black-DL.jpg

Well, these images are creations that are based off of information we have received, just like every other “leak” you have seen over the last couple of weeks. With that said, we have confidence in presenting these in-house made renders of what we believe the Nexus 6, made by Motorola, will look like from the back in both white and black.

You have seen front renderings a couple of times now, but nothing like this from the back. From what we know, there will be two color options initially, both white and black. And yes, the device will look exactly like the Moto X (2nd gen), only bigger. As can be seen in each image, the power and volume buttons have indeed been moved down the body ever-so-slightly, to make for easier use with the larger frame. You can also see that a vertically running “Nexus” logo will grace the back, just under the Motorola logo, something that was either hidden or not yet included in last week’s showing of the device next to an LG G3.

A report from last week that showed a similar mock-up was confused on the design of the back, and whether or not the Motorola dimple/logo would be present. While things can always change last minute, we are confident that the Motorola dimple/logo will be present, though its background could be a darker shade of grey depending on model.

We don’t currently have anything new to report on specs, other than we have heard similar details to previous reports. We also do not have any new launch details to share at this time.

Thoughts?

Why didn't remove the Moto "M"?

Groof

If the back looks anything like that... I dunno. Not feeling it at all. Looks lazy and poorly designed, especially compared to the 4 and 5.

They should just replace the M with the Nexus X and have a tinier Moto logo by the mic at the bottom. The announcement can't come soon enough... need to see this for real.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 3m3 minutes ago

FYI - at least one Nexus 6 color will have a blue steel-color trim, not silver / gray. We didn't leak it, but we know this.

ooooh

Eh, the only negative I see with the back is the led flash ring around the camera. Get rid of that, and it's perfectly fine. And it's the back of the phone, so I don't care if it's not very attractive. Plus, these are just renders done by DroidLife.

Drifters

My current conspiracy theory is the Nexus 6 and Nexus 6x. You'll get the Nexus 6 @ 5.2" and the Nexus 6x at 5.9". The largest difference will be battery and QHD screen most likely; both have the 805_16-32GB variants at launch.

Nakazato

My current conspiracy theory is the Nexus 6 and Nexus 6x. You'll get the Nexus 6 @ 5.2" and the Nexus 6x at 5.9". The largest difference will be battery and QHD screen most likely; both have the 805_16-32GB variants at launch.
If that's the case I'm happier. I want so much to have a 5.2 inch screen.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

If that's the case I'm happier. I want so much to have a 5.2 inch screen.
That's the 2nd gen Moto X.

So I'm about to jump to a Note 4 within a few days and I have a few questions as this will be my first Android phone:-
How's the web browsing speed on the Note 3?
Do Android phones struggle to scroll through PDFs?
Is the Note 3 laggy in the Photos app?

web browsing speed is great.

PDF viewing should be fine.

Samsung Gallery is notoriously slow to initially display anything when you have the photo sync on. it's on by default and displays all your Dropbox, Google and other various cloud albums in addition to the ones on the device. you can turn it off in the settings.

By this logic, the note 4 may also rival the moto x 2014 in for shit battery life no?

I never said the battery life will be poor I said its unknown if the battery life will be the same or better than the moto x. The moto x 2014 does not even have shit battery life.

What is with you haters on here?

Xperia Z3 arrived today. Beautiful device and the screen size is a lot more manageable than I was expecting.

Unfortunately had to ask Amazon to send out a replacement though - there is a small gap in the bezel coating towards the middle left of the lower bezel that lets light through when the screen is on (looks like a notification light but much smaller and a constant white light). When the screen's off, it doesn't show. It's almost as if some of whatever they use to make the coating for the bezel hasn't applied properly. It's only a couple of pixels wide, if that, but is one of those things that once I've noticed it, I notice it every time I put the screen on. Very strange problem that I've never seen before in a phone, it's almost like a stuck pixel, but showing through the bezel, not on the screen.

To Amazon's credit they sent a replacement straight away which should be here within a couple of days, then I can send back the defective phone. Hopefully the replacement doesn't have any issues.

Before I noticed the issue I'd been testing out the phone though - battery life seems good although I hadn't charged the device to full to test properly. Liking Sony's skin apart from the What's New that appears where Google Now would be, which is even more obnoxious than I'd feared when I read about it.

Bought the noise-cancelling headphones along with the phone and really like them. The phone picks up which headphones you've plugged in (only seems to work with Sony models) and you can set a custom profile for each. Noise cancelling seemed to work well but hadn't tested them for long.
yep. stuff like that is why Google added that new clause about home button functionality.

Got the G3

Fucking love it.

I think what is most impressive apart from the display its how incredibly compact and small the device is despite the huge screen.

And the battery life is great so far!

Question: do you guys own any kind of micro usb L shaped adapters for your phones?

I feel as if my Nexus 4 charging cable is going to have issues where the female microUSB connector joins the rest of the cable because of the angle created when the phone is held landscape. I figure spending a buck or so on an L shaped adapter will alleviate that problem :lol.

Or I could just get a replacement cable when it breaks I guess...
i bought a pair of L shaped cables from Amazon and they work fine.

Take this with a huge grain of salt but apparently the Z3x has been leaked. An 810 Snapdragon processor, QHD, 4 GB of ram, 6.2" display,and the real star here: an ultra powerful curved camera that mimics the way human eye sees things.http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z3X-rumor--a-powerful-phone-with-a-powerful-camera_id61256
The Z3 ultra?

Snapdragon 810

Sony using the latest SoC? FFFAAAKKKEEE!!!

What clause?
"If device owners hold down the physical "Home" button or "swipe up" from a digital home button or navigation bar, such actions should trigger Google Search."

Schrade

Can remove it by doing this, supposedly? (At least for the Z2):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54348159&postcount=33
Kashy27 said:
akk2 said:
I just got my Z2 two days ago and I ran into the same problem : What's New app sucks.

So here is the solution without root

1) run adb (I assume you have a working adb)
2) adb shell
3) pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
4) reboot
5) Done!

And Please "Thanks" me if this works for you.

That worked Perfectly!! thanks dude.

One question though, what would be the reverse of the "pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance" cmd, so the whatsnew button would re-appear? Just in-case i need to send my phone in for repairs......again

And for those wanting an absolute noob explanation:
1: download adb (I cant post outside links yet, so just google this, there should be 3 files in a zip)
2: store it in the root of C:\
3: go into your phone Settings>about Phone>then click like 10 times on the 'build number' box until you are granted developer privileges
4: go into your phone Settings>Developer Options>and enable USB debugging and connect your phone to the computer
3: open cmd in administrator mode
4: navigate to the folder with adb by typing the following: cd c:\adb
5: type the following then press enter: adb shell
6: type the following then press enter pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
7: reboot

i

Sony using the latest SoC? FFFAAAKKKEEE!!!

It won't be by the time the launch.
lol

From where?!?!
http://www.androidcentral.com/there...new-android-phones-google-wrote-contracts-way

Also, Please give me some micro sd deals faceless. =(
you missed the best deals already. the $79 128GB probably won't be matched until Black Friday. (got mine!) and there was the $25 64GB refurb (got mine!) too...

manfestival

google has its own shazam?... i just discovered the voice search app and it has a listen for music function. is it any good or should I keep shazam/sound hound?

Does anyone know what is T-mobile's trade-in value for the Samsung Galaxy S III?

http://www.t-mobile.com/DeviceRecovery/cell-phone-trade-in.aspx

and for good measure

https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.php5

https://tradein-program.att.com/index.php5

https://secure.sprintbuyback.com/cns/device_list

google has its own shazam?... i just discovered the voice search app and it has a listen for music function. is it any good or should I keep shazam/sound hound?

it's nowhere near as good.

reKon

Banned
I never thought I'd be so disappointed with a Nexus phone. I was actually willing to wait weeks at first, but that size doesn't cut it for me. I'm glad I just went with the Xperia Z3 compact. Hoping that the Nexus9 delivers on all fronts.

markot

Banned
Is impossible to use the stock launcher on the note 3 due to Samsung's stupid magazine on swipe up shit. It's so terrible..... And you can't turn it off.

M.D

I got the LG G2 yesterday and I'm really liking it so far, its a pretty huge upgrade for my S3

The one thing I'm curious about is how well does the battery hold up for you? The phone was already charged (not fully) out of the box. I just let it reach 100% and started using it.

I've only phone calls (not super long or anything) and mostly web browsing (always on WIFI) and the battery is at 50%

Battery stats say screen time is 2 hours and 28 minutes

Is that normal?

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-g2-kitkat-battery-test/

This test for example shows 11 hours and 42 minutes of web browsing on the latest Android version

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got the LG G2 yesterday and I'm really liking it so far, its a pretty huge upgrade for my S3

The one thing I'm curious about is how well does the battery hold up for you? The phone was already charged (not fully) out of the box. I just let it reach 100% and started using it.

I've only phone calls (not super long or anything) and mostly web browsing (always on WIFI) and the battery is at 50%

Battery stats say screen time is 2 hours and 28 minutes

Is that normal?

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-g2-kitkat-battery-test/

This test for example shows 11 hours and 42 minutes of web browsing on the latest Android version

Sounds about right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom