• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Good to hear. If the Z3 is too expensive I'll opt for the G3. It's a phone I love to hold in my hand and I can tolerate LG's ui. Only thing that worries me is the battery life.

Let me copy & paste my impressions I posted elsewhere:

First off; the size is amazing. Not sure I'd say perfect, but it sits in my hand like it was made for it. Build is solid, no creaking, feels good in hand albeit it gets a bit warm during prolonged use. For reference, she got the 16gb/2gb ram model.

The screen; looks great, super sharp. I know it's not the most colour accurate display out, but it looks good doing what it should. The artificial sharpening isn't always noticeable, but it's definitely there. The halos around text appear most obvious when the screen dims a bit, like when pulling down the notification shade.

LG's skin; not the best looking in the world, but it's passable. Much better than touchwiz and really uses well thought out, muted colours to make it soothing to the eyes.

Camera; laser autofocus? more like AMAZE-HER autofocus! God damn it's quick. While her G2 would take at least a full 5 seconds before finding (most often failing) focus in my dimly lit room, this one snaps it in an instance. Photos are also sharp albeit a bit fuzzy, but needs further testing outdoors and in different situations.

Other stuff; speaker is pretty loud, occasional lag here and there, but maybe because of the 2gb model. Otherwise it's super snappy, looks great and feels great. I'm liking it, but more testing needs to be done

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All the AT&T models are the 32 gig 3 gig model. Maybe I should just stop being a bitch and pull the trigger. IDK... I was waiting to see about Shamu and/or Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Toki767

All the AT&T models are the 32 gig 3 gig model. Maybe I should just stop being a bitch and pull the trigger. IDK... I was waiting to see about Shamu and/or Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Buy the T-Mobile version unless you're buying on contract. LTE will work on AT&T, plus you can disable Carrier IQ and there's less bloatware in general. Plus I think the bootloader is unlocked.

NotBacon

I'm not sure if that's a change Google made in the design guidelines for Material or just the Newsstand team screwing up. I know it's not a big deal for most people, but the fact that the drawer now covers up some of the buttons in the action bar, making them unusable, goes against the previous guidelines.

Where did they define that? The drawer is like a piece of "digital paper", so if you slide it over your activity it makes sense that it would block some things and only give you access to the drawer items.

Simplicity is the name of the game.
And something that went over Samsung's head entirely.

rossonero

Damn it. I bought Nilkin tempered glass and a Nilkin case for my G3. The installation of the glass went without a hitch but the case made the glass separate from the screen. So I thought I had messed up the glass installation and tried to fix it which resulted in dust getting on the inside side of the glass and it got impossible to remove.

Which means that I either have to order a plastic screen protector to use with the case or I have to order a new tempered glass protector and use it without the case.

This came:
nZCYPLPl.jpg

iavi

Either the bro in those leaked N6 shots has massive hands, or by some magic Moto made that thing not ridiculous.

I pray for tha latter

Where did they define that? The drawer is like a piece of "digital paper", so if you slide it over your activity it makes sense that it would block some things and only give you access to the drawer items.

Simplicity is the name of the game.
And something that went over Samsung's head entirely.
It's defined in the link below. Like I figured, they must have changed it for Material.

https://developer.android.com/design/patterns/navigation-drawer.html

Edit: I mainly just prefer the way it looked before.

Let me copy & paste my impressions I posted elsewhere:

First off; the size is amazing. Not sure I'd say perfect, but it sits in my hand like it was made for it. Build is solid, no creaking, feels good in hand albeit it gets a bit warm during prolonged use. For reference, she got the 16gb/2gb ram model.

The screen; looks great, super sharp. I know it's not the most colour accurate display out, but it looks good doing what it should. The artificial sharpening isn't always noticeable, but it's definitely there. The halos around text appear most obvious when the screen dims a bit, like when pulling down the notification shade.

LG's skin; not the best looking in the world, but it's passable. Much better than touchwiz and really uses well thought out, muted colours to make it soothing to the eyes.

Camera; laser autofocus? more like AMAZE-HER autofocus! God damn it's quick. While her G2 would take at least a full 5 seconds before finding (most often failing) focus in my dimly lit room, this one snaps it in an instance. Photos are also sharp albeit a bit fuzzy, but needs further testing outdoors and in different situations.

Other stuff; speaker is pretty loud, occasional lag here and there, but maybe because of the 2gb model. Otherwise it's super snappy, looks great and feels great. I'm liking it, but more testing needs to be done
I fully agree with the feel of the G3. It felt like a normal size phone in my rather large hands. Anything should be an upgrade to my current phone so I'm not worried. Thanks
This came:
Beautiful. Make sure to give your impressions.

NotBacon

It's defined in the link below. Like I figured, they must have changed it for Material.

https://developer.android.com/design/patterns/navigation-drawer.html

Edit: I mainly just prefer the way it looked before.

Oh I was talking only about Material guidelines. Yeah I think it's just a case of changing design specs.

Early sketches of material design.

http://goo.gl/MUpvNI

Spot on........................................................ with Samsung's interpretation.

Windam

Scaley member
Xperia Z3 launching on all major Canadian carriers on the 31st.

I ordered a OnePlus One on Monday and it's already been shipped.

My mood:

dHpQc.gif

Toki767

You know, with Android L using so many bright solid colors, I kind of wonder how that will effect the battery life of AMOLED devices. I'm not convinced we'll see a vast improvement for battery life on things like the GS5 or the new Moto X with L. I'm sure it'll improve standby time from the new APIs not needing turn the phone on every minute, but actually using the phone I kind of think it'll be a wash.

jesalr

The L preview is absolute bum for me.

Apps constantly restarting. Even the launcher when I go back to it, all icons gone for a few seconds.

I would downgrade back to 4.4 if I could bother with setting up my apps again

manfestival

Xperia Z3 launching on all major Canadian carriers on the 31st.

I ordered a OnePlus One on Monday and it's already been shipped.

My mood:

dHpQc.gif

why exactly do you feel this way? Both are great devices...

seeing that LG g2 thread makes me kinda wish I had waited a little longer before getting my moto g but honestly. I have been super happy with my phone. I figured that this sort of parity would be coming sooner or later when the phone become so powerful that there will be fewer compelling reasons to buy a new flagship over an older flagship phone

Beautiful. Make sure to give your impressions.

I have a few:

• The size of the Z3 Compact is amazing.
  • Appreciate the settings built in like tap to wake, showing the battery percentage, more quick toggles, ect. Compared to my Nexus 4, I had to get things like that through extra apps or Xposed modules.
  • Sony's skin is not terrible, but I wish it was closer to stock than it is.
  • Lots of Sony pre-installed apps, luckily some can be uninstalled (the others only disabled).
  • The fonts are a little out of the box.
  • Battery came a little more than 50% charged, am at 2.5 hours screen on with 16% left as of writing this.
  • Camera is not impressive to me, but I do use a Sony NEX C3 as my main camera. Compared to the Nexus 4 it is better, but overall it is still a phone camera.
  • Vine is a pre-installed app. Not cool.
  • Sony's dialer and contact book are ugly.

This is my third smart phone (Droid Incredible->Nexus 4->Z3 Compact). I am glad I got this, a steal at only $490 via Handtec. Very much worth it.

kehs

Banned
Lovely. I just wish that they had better status bar icons (smaller and cleaner). Otherwise, Sony's doing a lot of great things. I hope they get rewarded for it.

The cool thing is you can get rid of almost all of them. Except NFC and cell strength.

CV1KvY6.jpg

I won't be needing to see any of those except maybe data signal

reKon

Banned
In terms of the Sony's skin, I really like the notification set up and the settings menu. I have Nova running so everything is working on great (the Sony launcher is pretty solid though). I already like this camera way better than one that I had on my HTC One. The screen is awesome and it's perfectly clear at 319 PPI (my back up phone wasn't terrible, but it's good to be back to have a very clear sharp screen). The people complaining that the Z3C doesn't have a 1080P screen are fucking idiots.

Battery life has been very good, but not mind blowing. I think part of the reason for me is that the LTE hits the battery hard when browsing because I'm out at work most of the day and don't get to use WiFi too much. I'm interested in seeing some LTE only tests that involve the Xperia Z3C *cough Anandtech*. Still, it's very good and I'm currently testing it full stamina mode just to see how long it goes with normal use. At this current rate I'd be looking at 3.5 days and 3-4 hours of screen time during that time.

U2NUMB

About to jump to Android for the first time.. ordered my OnePlus and will be my first non Windows smart phone. I am scared.. but excited!

kehs

Banned
In terms of the Sony's skin, I really like the notification set up and the settings menu. I have Nova running so everything is working on great (the Sony launcher is pretty solid though). I already like this camera way better than one that I had on my HTC One. The screen is awesome and it's perfectly clear at 319 PPI (my back up phone wasn't terrible, but it's good to be back to have a very clear sharp screen). The people complaining that the Z3C doesn't have a 1080P screen are fucking idiots.

Battery life has been very good, but not mind blowing. I think part of the reason for me is that the LTE hits the battery hard when browsing because I'm out at work most of the day and don't get to use WiFi too much. I'm interested in seeing some LTE only tests that involve the Xperia Z3C *cough Anandtech*. Still, it's very good and I'm currently testing it full stamina mode just to see how long it goes with normal use. At this current rate I'd be looking at 3.5 days and 3-4 hours of screen time during that time.

Seeing the same, but I dont even have a sim card in. 50% charged when I turned it on, 8 hours with 2 hours of onscreen.

About to jump to Android for the first time.. ordered my OnePlus and will be my first non Windows smart phone. I am scared.. but excited!

One Plus One is a great phone. I'm debating whether to sell mine and get the N6 or keep it until the One Plus Two comes out.

So now that the landscape is pretty much set for the year considering we know what to expect for the Nexus 6 (mostly). What devices are people looking forward to next year? Which do you think will be the surprise hit like the OG moto x? Who becomes android king device wise, not sales.

PREDICT FORTH. I personally hope Motorola changes up the Moto X design wise. Hope Sony has a larger presence around the world. Hope the nexus program expands to multiple manufacturers devices.

What do I expect though? Same shit as this year. Samsung might use real materials though....lol.

manfestival

So now that the landscape is pretty much set for the year considering we know what to expect for the Nexus 6 (mostly). What devices are people looking forward to next year? Which do you think will be the surprise hit like the OG moto x? Who becomes android king device wise, not sales.

PREDICT FORTH. I personally hope Motorola changes up the Moto X design wise. Hope Sony has a larger presence around the world. Hope the nexus program expands to multiple manufacturers devices.

What do I expect though? Same shit as this year. Samsung might use real materials though....lol.

I honestly want to see more people taking after motorola in the US. right now all of the similar phones are everywhere but US. There are no carriers that have the moto g. I had to order from motorola themselves. Hopefully there are some nice upgrades so I can "jump" myself to the next years model and lose out on only a few bucks

Your predictions and expectations are pretty much the same as mine, haha.

But let's see...

Hopes/Predictions:
- Sony gets its act together and gets the Z4, Z4c, and Z4 Ultra on every major carrier in the US, which leads to increased sales.

- Motorola stops making their best spec'd (or at least best battery) phones exclusive to Verizon. Also start advertising their products more.

- HTC learns how to decrease the huge bezels on their phones while retaining the speakers.

- The twins (LG & Samsung) focus only on the useful features and apps they add, and ditch all the gimmicky/one use only crap. Streamline and pair back the skins while still retaining their own uniqueness. Completely ditch glossy plastic. Plastic is fine, just not when it's glossy. (Matte and textured for life!)

- Google actually starts advertising Nexus devices instead of only the Chromecast.

- All device makers stop making everything thinner and thinner. Everyone spend more R&D on battery tech. All device makers provide a tool to allow customers to unlock the bootloader on any of their devices.

- Project Ara actually becomes big and changes the landscape.

Expectation:

- None of my hopes/predictions come true.

Avixph

This automatically makes galaxy s5 or note 4 stupid purchases. They might as well just move to tizen if they are going to make android L this ugly.

Can't wait to see how HTC, lg and sony fuck it up as well.
It's not going to look like that on their future phones (probably beginning with the Galaxy S6).

It really sucks Samsung is the best selling and most influential of all the Android OEMs. TouchWiz is awful and just plain ugly. Plus, they are hell bent against allowing things like root and boot loader access. As far as they are concerned, they sell Samsung phones, not Android. They completely undermine and shit on the entire concept, identity, soul and philosophy of the platform. But hey....dat Super AMOLED tho...

:/

wait... what?

Sony is out there making their camera shitty and bricking their secure element when you unlock the bootloader and Samsung has an unlocked bootloader (Except on ATT/Verizon) but they're the bad guys?

Poor Faceless

i'm ok.

SZlxNvbl.png

markot

Banned
Both my samsung phones have been much easier to root and unlock then my htc one. Sony z3 seems to make the camera worse if you unlock hte bootloader cause of some drm thingy >.>

NotBacon

The L preview is absolute bum for me.

Apps constantly restarting. Even the launcher when I go back to it, all icons gone for a few seconds.

I would downgrade back to 4.4 if I could bother with setting up my apps again

*sigh* what were you expecting?

Both my samsung phones have been much easier to root and unlock then my htc one. Sony z3 seems to make the camera worse if you unlock hte bootloader cause of some drm thingy >.>
It's possible that there will be a workaround the drm keys. They found one with the Z2 if I'm not mistakened.

You are right. Samsung will go back to their past ways of making beautiful icons, drop down toggles, etc like they were before.
I don't care for skins, but let's be real here. Stock Android was the most hideous crap ever until ICS. HTC, Samsung, etc. were what looked good in Android back then. It wasn't until Google got it's design ish together that people (myself included) realized how bad some skins were.

Ehhhh, I'm probably doing a terrible job expressing my opinion here, but whatever. Samsung's gonna do Samsung because that's what made them successful in the first place. Had Google focused on design from the jump, we wouldn't be in this situation.

The only thing we can hope for its that OEMs improve their crap.

I don't care for skins, but let's be real here. Stock Android was the most hideous crap ever until ICS. HTC, Samsung, etc. were what looked good in Android back then. It wasn't until Google got it's design ish together that people (myself included) realized how bad some skins were.

Ehhhh, I'm probably doing a terrible job expressing my opinion here, but whatever. Samsung's gonna do Samsung because that's what made them successful in the first place. Had Google focused on design from the jump, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Whats the point of this post? To pitty samsung? We know the history of android and OEM skins. Its not a reason to buy their crappy software. Its their choice to use their shitty design. They don't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom