• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenexus6

LZmPJLu.jpg

Did a little experiment to see my Nexus 5 against the Z3 and Z3C seeing as the Nexus 6 is far too big for me.

Leading heavily towards the compact as i've often felt the N5 is a little too big for me sometimes. Only thing i'd prefer the Z3 over the compact is bigger screen for PS4 remote play other than that I prefer the compact.

Doesn't matter too much as I won't be getting a new phone until next year anyway, the Z4 / C will probably be out by then anyway.

Hasney

Thank you for your insight on the Nexus 6, thenexus6.

In all seriousness, I think it might be the phone for me, unless this rumoured Sony Z3X is real. Then it will just be a battle of battery life to win my money.

reKon

Banned
I got the LG G2 yesterday and I'm really liking it so far, its a pretty huge upgrade for my S3

The one thing I'm curious about is how well does the battery hold up for you? The phone was already charged (not fully) out of the box. I just let it reach 100% and started using it.

I've only phone calls (not super long or anything) and mostly web browsing (always on WIFI) and the battery is at 50%

Battery stats say screen time is 2 hours and 28 minutes

http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-g2-kitkat-battery-test/

This test for example shows 11 hours and 42 minutes of web browsing on the latest Android version

What's your brightness set to? Also, do you have a lot of apps running in the background? Your battery life may improve over the next few days as you've just gotten the phone.

-PXG-

I still love how folks consider gapps bloat now.

And yes, Samsung's attempt at L is fucking miserable. Nuke that shit from orbit

-PXG-

It really sucks Samsung is the best selling and most influential of all the Android OEMs. TouchWiz is awful and just plain ugly. Plus, they are hell bent against allowing things like root and boot loader access. As far as they are concerned, they sell Samsung phones, not Android. They completely undermine and shit on the entire concept, identity, soul and philosophy of the platform. But hey....dat Super AMOLED tho...

:/

Avixph

Jesus tits that's just... basically the same fucking things. Samsung may try to do some things differently in terms of hardware, but they sure as shit don't want to change in terms of software. TouchWiz wizzing on L.

ohhhh I can't wait to see Sense L

Oh Samsung.

God I hate samsung UI design

I still love how folks consider gapps bloat now.

And yes, Samsung's attempt at L is fucking miserable. Nuke that shit from orbit

I entertained the thought of getting an S5 but I don't think I will. Touch Wiz, the bane of Android.

I don't think that they would change much in the UI until they release the Galaxy S6, so let's keep our hopes up a bit.

it's the worst thing happening in android right now
Oh come on now.

-PXG-

I don't think that they would change much in the UI until they release the Galaxy S6, so let's keep our hopes up a bit.

Oh come on now.

That's what I initially thought too. S5 would merely get a minor, half assed update while the S6 would get the true, over hauled face lift we would all expect. But knowing Sammy...it will still be awful.

All the OEMs are gonna butcher L to some degree. No one can beat Samsung when it comes to their GB era/ blue green/ ugly ass TouchWiz monstrosity. No one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I want to see what HTC does with L in Sense 7. Sense 6 turned out rather well honestly for a skin especially when they updated it so you can turn blink feed off if you don't want it on.

gcubed

It took Samsung ages to get away from gingerbread styling, this will be no different. Such an incompetent company when it comes to UI. They make a few useful features, but they are just terrible at any kind of design work

Toki767

I actually don't really like the way the notifications look like cards in L. Especially when you pull down to access them.

Also I wish Google would update the Hangouts app for quick replying from the notification.

kehs

Banned
I don't see what's wrong with the L preview on the samsung.

Bad icons, sure. Everything else is right on part with duarte's "vision".

AkuMifune

Banned
Need an off-contract backup phone, probably going to pickup the Moto G tomorrow. Any reason to look at something else?

And one site said that the version you buy from Motorola directly has better screen than the one from Amazon...that's bunk, right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Need an off-contract backup phone, probably going to pickup the Moto G tomorrow. Any reason to look at something else?

And one site said that the version you buy from Motorola directly has better screen than the one from Amazon...that's bunk, right?

Do you reelly NEED a back up phone? $200 even for the G while cheap is a lot of money if you aren't really gonna need it.

You could get the Moto E or the Lumia for cheaper if you don't really need one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That big X on the back makes me think its not just a logo, but maybe a touch sensor of some type? Maybe a clickable button like the G2's back... not sure. It just feels too big to be just a logo.

Toki767

One swipe for settings, instead of two.

It's a step up.

Nexus love is getting as bad a Apple love round these parts.

I don't really like the UI, but at least the stock Android L UI looks fairly sleek. The UI on the S5 with Android L looks really gaudy and disjointed.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition from Currys for £229.99. Goes for £100 more on Amazon. Gorgeous display.

AkuMifune

Banned
Do you reelly NEED a back up phone? $200 even for the G while cheap is a lot of money if you aren't really gonna need it.

You could get the Moto E or the Lumia for cheaper if you don't really need one.

Yeah, I need it. Complicated, but will be without my primary (Lumia 928) for a couple months. And I miss Android anyways so might just sell the Lumia once it's returned.

Have been using my first smartphone, an Xperia Play, for the past week. Reminds me I like Android, reminds me what a bunk phone this was! Poor thing.

The Newsstand Material update is really nice, but my only gripe is that the slide out navigation drawer now covers the action bar at the top. There's a really cool animation of the 'hamburger' icon animating into what I assume is a back arrow, but because the navigation drawer now covers the action bar, you can't really see it.

I'm not sure if that's a change Google made in the design guidelines for Material or just the Newsstand team screwing up. I know it's not a big deal for most people, but the fact that the drawer now covers up some of the buttons in the action bar, making them unusable, goes against the previous guidelines.

Cipherr

And people wonder why folks were upset the Moto X disappointed...... Fucking skins are awful.

I don't see what's wrong with the L preview on the samsung.

Bad icons, sure. Everything else is right on part with duarte's "vision".

There is no way you are serious there. Go look at the material design stuff and seriously tell us with a straight face that this is anywhere near that.

And people wonder why folks were upset the Moto X disappointed...... Fucking skins are awful.

There is no way you are serious there. Go look at the material design stuff and seriously tell us with a straight face that this is anywhere near that.
I'm pretty sure kehs is a professional troll. Nothing against you though, kehs! I sometimes find your trolling funny.

My girlfriend got a G3 today.

I'm liking it so far, the design and size of it are top notch.
Good to hear. If the Z3 is too expensive I'll opt for the G3. It's a phone I love to hold in my hand and I can tolerate LG's ui. Only thing that worries me is the battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom