• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Thanks! Phone hasn't arrived yet, still out for delivery but I'll be trying this once it gets here (once I manage to get a screen protector on it - worst part of getting a new phone)
Z3 replacement finally arrived :D Getting a screen protector on it was indeed the worst part of the set up - I bought two tempered glass protectors, the first one had bubbles in so must have had dust somewhere even though I tried to make sure the phone was spotless.
The second one was going the same way so I took it off, cleaned the screen and re-applied - seemed to work as the screen is now perfect, the only issue is the top left corner where I lifted the protector off the phone, is now smudged/marked, presumably from me touching the coating when I took it off the phone. So there's a smudge on the protector near the bezel that I can't get rid of - I'm leaving it as is though as long as it won't scratch the bezel, as the actual screen is perfect.

As for the phone... what a phone. Such an upgrade from my Nexus 4, can't wait to try out 4G next week (it isn't available near my house yet but is around where I work). Sound is great, much much better than the N4, those front stereo speakers can get very loud for a phone.

Headphone noise cancelling is a great feature, only drawback is it requires you to buy a specific set of Sony headphones which some countries get in the box for free - us in the UK weren't so lucky. I bought the 'phones though, and the noise cancelling works well.

Can confirm that the adb method for disabling "What's New" works perfectly (trust me, unless you're very tolerant indeed you *will* want to do this when you get a Z3/Z3C, it's one of the only criticisms I can currently find with the phone), so thanks to Schrade for pointing that out for me.

Haven't had a chance to try out remote play yet but I will do - looks like the phone has an option to connect straight to the DS4 or DS3 which is nice.

Also bought the charger dock as I had a £10 off voucher from Amazon, but it doesn't seem to work which is irritating. I plug it into the wall, put the phone in, it snaps to the charger (although the connection isn't nearly as strong or secure as I was expecting) and then... nothing happens. Tried the defective Z3 which will be going back Monday, just in case it was an issue with this new one's magnetic charger port - nope, same issue, no charge there either. The USB cable itself works in the microUSB port, so unless I'm missing a setting somewhere I can only assume the actual dock itself is broken.

Double tap to wake screen is such a small but brilliant feature, I already don't think I could go to a phone without it, especially not large-screened phones. So easy to check notifications instead of picking up the phone and fumbling round for the power button.

If anyone has any questions about the phone I'll do my best to answer them.

NotBacon

Google just finished integrating Voice into the Hangouts, now they are set to make another messaging app for us to complain about it not being integrated into Hangouts.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-markets-because-hangouts-sucks-or-something/

Google is taking a page out of the Samsung book and just throwing shit at the wall see what sticks.

Well whatever they do, Hangouts just better be cleaned up when L is released. It's not simple nor elegant. My email is displayed all over the app, IN the EditText where I type there's a gaudy "send though my Verizon Wireless number", the disparity between an SMS and Hangout message is still confusing my mom, etc.

They need to get their shit together basically

i would say pretty low. sony usually only makes GSM compatible phones.

nexus2cee_artist_thumb.png

Z3 replacement finally arrived :D Getting a screen protector on it was indeed the worst part of the set up - I bought two tempered glass protectors, the first one had bubbles in so must have had dust somewhere even though I tried to make sure the phone was spotless.
The second one was going the same way so I took it off, cleaned the screen and re-applied - seemed to work as the screen is now perfect, the only issue is the top left corner where I lifted the protector off the phone, is now smudged/marked, presumably from me touching the coating when I took it off the phone. So there's a smudge on the protector near the bezel that I can't get rid of - I'm leaving it as is though as long as it won't scratch the bezel, as the actual screen is perfect.

As for the phone... what a phone. Such an upgrade from my Nexus 4, can't wait to try out 4G next week (it isn't available near my house yet but is around where I work). Sound is great, much much better than the N4, those front stereo speakers can get very loud for a phone.

Headphone noise cancelling is a great feature, only drawback is it requires you to buy a specific set of Sony headphones which some countries get in the box for free - us in the UK weren't so lucky. I bought the 'phones though, and the noise cancelling works well.

Can confirm that the adb method for disabling "What's New" works perfectly (trust me, unless you're very tolerant indeed you *will* want to do this when you get a Z3/Z3C, it's one of the only criticisms I can currently find with the phone), so thanks to Schrade for pointing that out for me.

Haven't had a chance to try out remote play yet but I will do - looks like the phone has an option to connect straight to the DS4 or DS3 which is nice.

Also bought the charger dock as I had a £10 off voucher from Amazon, but it doesn't seem to work which is irritating. I plug it into the wall, put the phone in, it snaps to the charger (although the connection isn't nearly as strong or secure as I was expecting) and then... nothing happens. Tried the defective Z3 which will be going back Monday, just in case it was an issue with this new one's magnetic charger port - nope, same issue, no charge there either. The USB cable itself works in the microUSB port, so unless I'm missing a setting somewhere I can only assume the actual dock itself is broken.

Double tap to wake screen is such a small but brilliant feature, I already don't think I could go to a phone without it, especially not large-screened phones. So easy to check notifications instead of picking up the phone and fumbling round for the power button.

If anyone has any questions about the phone I'll do my best to answer them.
I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the phone. Many people seem to really like the Z3 and Z3 compact. This helps solidify my desire for one. Some questions I have:

How responsive is the UI? Is it instantaneous and snappy? How snappy is it when multiple apps are open?
Does pictures and letters seem sharp on the display?
How are HD videos?

PaulLFC

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the phone. Many people seem to really like the Z3 and Z3 compact. This helps solidify my desire for one. Some questions I have:

How responsive is the UI? Is it instantaneous and snappy? How snappy is it when multiple apps are open?
Does pictures and letters seem sharp on the display?
How are HD videos?
The UI is great, feels very fast, no noticeable lag that I noticed bar one very brief pause when it was doing the Google account restore, downloading all my apps - it was trying to download and install multiple apps at once and paused briefly installing an app. Haven't noticed any other lag besides that, and that used to happen on my Nexus 4 so I think it could just be a general Android issue with the Play store.

The screen is fantastic. Will be even better when I get round to calibrating the colours properly but for sharpness etc I can't fault it.

Just tried the "Xperia HD Landscape" video and wow. This screen really is stunning for sharpness and clarity. Can't comment on the colour reproduction as I haven't calibrated it properly yet, but I was very impressed with the quality.

vpance

Z3 replacement finally arrived :D Getting a screen protector on it was indeed the worst part of the set up - I bought two tempered glass protectors

Doesn't it come with screen protectors? In the box of my Z3C there were 2 of them, one labelled front and the other back.

PaulLFC

Doesn't it come with screen protectors? In the box of my Z3C there were 2 of them, one labelled front and the other back.
It does but they aren't brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. They're matte protectors and when I put the front one on it caused the screen to look noticeably different, I'm not quite sure how to describe it, almost looked like condensation on a window when the screen was lit up. I much prefer the clear look of the other protector I bought (IVSO Perfect Premium from Amazon).

vpance

It does but they aren't brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. They're matte protectors and when I put the front one on it caused the screen to look noticeably different, I'm not quite sure how to describe it, almost looked like condensation on a window when the screen was lit up. I much prefer the clear look of the other protector I bought (IVSO Perfect Premium from Amazon).

Ahh. I applied the one from the box for kicks and also had a similar reaction so off it came a few minutes later. I think I'll go bare for now, while my case is in the mail.

Man, I really want to like this Hangouts app, but I can't seem to get it to stop crashing on me. I've uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. is anyone else having sporadic crashes and extreme lagginess using Hangouts?

Groof

Man, I really want to like this Hangouts app, but I can't seem to get it to stop crashing on me. I've uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. is anyone else having sporadic crashes and extreme lagginess using Hangouts?

What device do you have? Hangouts has its fair share of bugginess and instability, but that sounds out of the ordinary.

What device do you have? Hangouts has its fair share of bugginess and instability, but that sounds out of the ordinary.

HTC one on sense 6

Hangouts was fine until they rolled out this last update. Now it takes a full 5 to 10 secs to click on a conversation if it doesn't crash

MattDoza

HTC one on sense 6

Hangouts was fine until they rolled out this last update. Now it takes a full 5 to 10 secs to click on a conversation if it doesn't crash

It's definitely slower and less snappy after the Voicecalls/GV integration. I miss the previous version, honestly.

Well whatever they do, Hangouts just better be cleaned up when L is released. It's not simple nor elegant. My email is displayed all over the app, IN the EditText where I type there's a gaudy "send though my Verizon Wireless number", the disparity between an SMS and Hangout message is still confusing my mom, etc.

They need to get their shit together basically

nexus2cee_artist_thumb.png
This looks horrendous. What the fudge.
HTC one on sense 6

A lot of apps has been buggy with the last updates. I don't know about software but could this be caused by the preparation for Android L? It's quite ridiculous.

Ashes

Banned
I like nightmode in z3 compact - it switched on when I plugged into the bedside charger around 12am... Turns into a clock, silent mode etc...

Other than the really stupid selfie gimmick with the pointless front facing camera of that quality, I actually like that design concept. Reminiscent of a z3 compact but that's not a terrible thing.

kehs

Banned

The front/back thing on the screen protector is just to indicate which side goes out and which on the screen. The harder plastic sandwiched in between is the screen protector itself.

NotBacon

At least we get the best sound on any phone out of it. Boom sound legit.

PS: Yes reminds me of the Z3C. Wish the C had a higher res screen. I love the device, but would much prefer 1080.

Boomsound is legit, but it should be possible with less bezel. Especially without a bezel portion solely dedicated for their logo.

Moto X is an example of how to do this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Boomsound is legit, but it should be possible with less bezel. Especially without a bezel portion solely dedicated for their logo.

Moto X is an example of how to do this.

Moto X doesn't even have stero sound. Ghetto as fuck.

GTFO with that shit.

Vanillalite

Lolwut

Yes Moto X speakers aren't as good, but that's not what we're talking about....

Does hating on one of the best phones out right now give you a semi?

The whole point is most small speakers suck cause they don't allow room for a good driver which requires dun dun dun SPACE.

Also the idea that the Moto X is one of the best phones is laughable at best.

NotBacon

The whole point is most small speakers suck cause they don't allow room for a good driver which requires dun dun dun SPACE.

That could be achieved with a slightly thicker body. A bigger battery would fit too.

And the idea that the Moto X being one of the best phones being laughable is laughable. It's literally a Nexus 6 with better software. Does it have tradeoffs? Yes. There isn't a phone without tradeoffs.

So I'll revise my statement. If you're fine with a phone only lasting a day, the Moto X is THE best phone out right now.

Awaiting: hur dur but it sux

kehs

Banned

People who listen to their speakers on their phones should be euthanized.

Moto X isn't the best phone around, but it's the right phone.

spwolf

Lolwut

Yes Moto X speakers aren't as good, but that's not what we're talking about....

Does hating on one of the best phones out right now give you a semi?

not sure if there was a disassembly guide for HTC, but when they did Z2, complete width of upper and bottom bezel was dedicated to the speakers. They are pretty large.

So you are not really correct... and it is not hating if it is a fact :p

minx

Is there any reliable test out there comparing tablet wifi range? It's very ry important for my purchase as I will be using it most with poor reception.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Despite the nice quality of the Z3, I'm going to exchange it for a 930.

Android is cool, but I dislike the fact that the HD phone cannot play HD videos from either Google Play store or Sony's store. They ought to be more upfront with that.

PaulLFC

The front/back thing on the screen protector is just to indicate which side goes out and which on the screen. The harder plastic sandwiched in between is the screen protector itself.
Yeah, I definitely had the screen protector applied correctly as the front/back indicators had little tabs on them for easy removal so would have been obvious if applied to the phone. I just wasn't sure if there was a second protector for the back in the box somewhere I'd missed before packaging the phone back up again.

Despite the nice quality of the Z3, I'm going to exchange it for a 930.

Android is cool, but I dislike the fact that the HD phone cannot play HD videos from either Google Play store or Sony's store. They ought to be more upfront with that.

Is the video on your phone yet? Is it one you've bought through the Play Store or Sony Store? Have you tried using a different app to play the video (like MX Player or VLC)?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Is the video on your phone yet? Is it one you've bought through the Play Store or Sony Store? Have you tried using a different app to play the video (like MX Player or VLC)?

Play store, says device not supported. Sony store doesn't support HD video for their mobile devices. Nope, didn't download a separate app to play video (and not to be petulant but imo one shouldn't have to on such a device).

EDIT:

Would VLC allow HD video playback from films bought off the Playstore?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Also, when I receive messages (sms & whatsapp), I get the notification via the notification bar/menu but should there be a number on the actual sms/whatsapp icon to indicate a new message(s)?

PaulLFC

Fellow Z3/Z3C owners - have you bought the charging dock (DK48)? I'm trying to figure out if mine is broken or not, it doesn't appear to be charging.

Plugged the dock in with the charger and USB cable from the Z3's box, clipped in the right attachment for the phone with no case, placed the phone in and... nothing happens. I get no notification either on screen or sound-wise that it's charging, like I do if I just use the microUSB cable to charge it.

I tried on the phone this one replaced just to check it wasn't the magnetic charging port, but that one didn't charge either. Then I tried a different microUSB plug and cable - still nothing.

Unless it uses some sort of "silent charging" mode that gives you no indication it's actually charging the phone, mine appears to just be a stand at the moment.

Also, when I receive messages (sms & whatsapp), I get the notification via the notification bar/menu but should there be a number on the actual sms/whatsapp icon to indicate a new message(s)?
There is on my Z3 for SMS. Alternatively install Nova Launcher and TeslaUnread which does this for Whatsapp and others.

It also plays the HD video preloaded on there, so it has no trouble playing HD video - Google probably just need to add support for it with it being a new device I'd assume.

vpance

No. Something is wrong in your phone.
Right now mine has 46% left and says 2d 15h with the stamina mode on.

(at >90% it said about 4days)

Don't know if it's a huge effect but I put Gmail and message as active in stand by for the stamina settings. From a full charge yesterday morning and with fairly high usage all day til bed I'm at 35% overnight, with it in airplane mode.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
not really. pushbullet it just more convenient than switching on NFC every time to transfer something. plus, i mostly transfer from laptop to phone and vice versa. not phone to phone

Why are you switching it on and off though? It uses basically no power at all when it's not being actively used. Or maybe your phone annoyingly displays the NFC icon at all times when it's on? Don't understand why some OEMs do that, stock Android only displays it when it's actually in use, like with the GPS.

(I don't use Beam a lot either though. But for the rare occasions when I do, I don't have to activate anything. It being instantly ready when you need it is kind of the point, which requires you to leave NFC on.)

kehs

Banned
Battery on the z3c seems to be on par with the moto g. Except I have this awesome phone in my hand.

I loved the moto g, but wow what a step up.

Vanillalite

not sure if there was a disassembly guide for HTC, but when they did Z2, complete width of upper and bottom bezel was dedicated to the speakers. They are pretty large.

So you are not really correct... and it is not hating if it is a fact :p

Shhhh we are all just dicks hating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom