• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Why are you switching it on and off though? It uses basically no power at all when it's not being actively used. Or maybe your phone annoyingly displays the NFC icon at all times when it's on? Don't understand why some OEMs do that, stock Android only displays it when it's actually in use, like with the GPS.

(I don't use Beam a lot either though. But for the rare occasions when I do, I don't have to activate anything. It being instantly ready when you need it is kind of the point, which requires you to leave NFC on.)
This is the reason I disabled it on the Z3 - it shows an icon at all times when enabled. I don't know why, as you can disable everything else, even all battery and time info, and the WiFi icon. But not the NFC icon.

NotBacon

Also, when I receive messages (sms & whatsapp), I get the notification via the notification bar/menu but should there be a number on the actual sms/whatsapp icon to indicate a new message(s)?

Why would you want a number on your icon when it's already in the notification bar? That's why it's called the notification bar.

About a week in with the LG G3, I'm enjoying it greatly as an upgrade from the Nexus 4. Had to root and freeze some crapware. I'm especially enjoying having an SD slot again, was always close to full with audio before. Stuck a 128GB card in there and just went to town with spotify/google cloud music/podcasts.

I remember reading something about the nexus lead guy not being a fan of how external storage works but they really need to get that on the nexus phones.

rrvv

Fellow Z3/Z3C owners - have you bought the charging dock (DK48)? I'm trying to figure out if mine is broken or not, it doesn't appear to be charging.

Plugged the dock in with the charger and USB cable from the Z3's box, clipped in the right attachment for the phone with no case, placed the phone in and... nothing happens. I get no notification either on screen or sound-wise that it's charging, like I do if I just use the microUSB cable to charge it.

I tried on the phone this one replaced just to check it wasn't the magnetic charging port, but that one didn't charge either. Then I tried a different microUSB plug and cable - still nothing.

Unless it uses some sort of "silent charging" mode that gives you no indication it's actually charging the phone, mine appears to just be a stand at the moment.

I get same thing and it work flawlessly. did you check the indicator?

maybe something to do with the "baser". my store give me 2. one is bigger than other since seem Z3C didnt fit with smaller one

Wait isn't it made of glass? No thanks.

there is always case option :p

Volotaire

HTC-Eye-leak.png

This looks awful.

what are they doing? From the M7 to ... this.

MegalonJJ

Banned
There is on my Z3 for SMS. Alternatively install Nova Launcher and TeslaUnread which does this for Whatsapp and others.

It also plays the HD video preloaded on there, so it has no trouble playing HD video - Google probably just need to add support for it with it being a new device I'd assume.

Re HD video, it seems like some (most films) do work in HD from the Play Store but a few don't for example, "We Need to Talk About Kevin" works in HD but "The Dark Knight" doesn't....could be a WB licensing issue with Sony devices. Sony should allow HD videos via their Unlimited service on their mobiles....hopefully in an update!

Why would you want a number on your icon when it's already in the notification bar? That's why it's called the notification bar.

This is true. It's just that my only prior smartphone experience was Windows Phone so it taking some time to get adjusted to Android....it's starting to grow on me. Gifs work as saved images which is a first for me! Quality wise the Z3 is amazing....I'll need a few more days before I decide whether to stick with it

Didn't get great life on my Z3C for a few days (4 hours SOT in an 18 hour period killed it, which is REALLY GOOD but not even close to what I've heard) so factory reset that sucker (knowing I'd updated twice since starting last time) and let's see what happens.

catmincer

Fellow Z3/Z3C owners - have you bought the charging dock (DK48)? I'm trying to figure out if mine is broken or not, it doesn't appear to be charging.

Plugged the dock in with the charger and USB cable from the Z3's box, clipped in the right attachment for the phone with no case, placed the phone in and... nothing happens. I get no notification either on screen or sound-wise that it's charging, like I do if I just use the microUSB cable to charge it.

I tried on the phone this one replaced just to check it wasn't the magnetic charging port, but that one didn't charge either. Then I tried a different microUSB plug and cable - still nothing.

Unless it uses some sort of "silent charging" mode that gives you no indication it's actually charging the phone, mine appears to just be a stand at the moment.

There is on my Z3 for SMS. Alternatively install Nova Launcher and TeslaUnread which does this for Whatsapp and others.

It also plays the HD video preloaded on there, so it has no trouble playing HD video - Google probably just need to add support for it with it being a new device I'd assume.

I have the dk36 for Z2. It only works if plugged into the wall if you try using USB it cannot seem to draw enough power.

kehs

Banned
Didn't get great life on my Z3C for a few days (4 hours SOT in an 18 hour period killed it, which is REALLY GOOD but not even close to what I've heard) so factory reset that sucker (knowing I'd updated twice since starting last time) and let's see what happens.

I think the four day battery life claims are based on no background data and least amount options activated.

Still killer battery life though.

Dear Googy,

I will never complain about chrome again after using IE mobile on this Windows phone.
Can you go into detail about what's so bad about mobile IE? One of my friends has a Windows Phone and I thought the browser was pretty par for the course when I tried it, not necessarily worse than any other browser.

catmincer

Can you go into detail about what's so bad about mobile IE? One of my friends has a Windows Phone and I thought the browser was pretty par for the course when I tried it, not necessarily worse than any other browser.

On the release candidate for WP 8.1 they changed it. On android (well at least firefox) I can go out of it, come back in a few hours later and the pages are cached so they don't reload.

With WP 8.1 if you go out of ie, then back in it reloads all the pages. I can understand why if the phone has 512mb ram but it does it on 2gb devices too. This drove me insane because it was a total waste of data.

Talon

My biggest gripe is that text reflow is dreadful in the browser - about 10-15% of the text is cutoff horizontally.

It is markedly slower than any other mobile browser out there - Anandtech's loading tests confirm this.

Mobile IE is a dinosaur compared to Webkit in terms of rendering. Part of this is a chicken and egg problem, Webkit-based browsers (Chrome, Mobile Safari) grew to dominate the field, so web developers take advantage to tune for those browsers.

Case-in-point - the input text on GAF on Mobile IE is some default serif system font. Looks dreadful.

Also, for the people saying the app situation isn't that far off - that's straight-up bull. Sure, Twitter and Facebook are fine, but Yelp doesn't even do location-based refreshing from the map view. It looks like Yelp's app hasn't been updated in well over a year. Not to mention there's no native Dropbox app.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Is there a way to change the SMS background from white to black (or dark blue etc), without having to unofficially mod/root the phone?

vpance

I think the four day battery life claims are based on no background data and least amount options activated.

Still killer battery life though.

I think once I settle down back to normal usage patterns I'll be getting 3+ days battery life easy. Tweaking it every 15 mins isn't helping right now, lol

giga

My biggest gripe is that text reflow is dreadful in the browser - about 10-15% of the text is cutoff horizontally.

It is markedly slower than any other mobile browser out there - Anandtech's loading tests confirm this.

Mobile IE is a dinosaur compared to Webkit in terms of rendering. Part of this is a chicken and egg problem, Webkit-based browsers (Chrome, Mobile Safari) grew to dominate the field, so web developers take advantage to tune for those browsers.

Case-in-point - the input text on GAF on Mobile IE is some default serif system font. Looks dreadful.

Also, for the people saying the app situation isn't that far off - that's straight-up bull. Sure, Twitter and Facebook are fine, but Yelp doesn't even do location-based refreshing from the map view. It looks like Yelp's app hasn't been updated in well over a year. Not to mention there's no native Dropbox app.
Yeah, I've had the same experience whenever I try out my mom's Lumia 520 on WP8.1. Still years behind the competition in terms of software. She treats it like a dumb phone though, so it works out.

On the release candidate for WP 8.1 they changed it. On android (well at least firefox) I can go out of it, come back in a few hours later and the pages are cached so they don't reload.

With WP 8.1 if you go out of ie, then back in it reloads all the pages. I can understand why if the phone has 512mb ram but it does it on 2gb devices too. This drove me insane because it was a total waste of data.
Yeah, that constant reloading would be terrible for me since I'm still on a measly 200MB data plan with at&t. Luckily I have Wi-Fi available basically all day.

Eesh, didn't realize mobile IE was that bad. Also didn't realize the app situation was still like that. Sounds similar to using the Amazon app store.

NotBacon

Is there a way to change the SMS background from white to black (or dark blue etc), without having to unofficially mod/root the phone?

Get a different SMS app? Try Hangouts or Textra. While you're at it, get Google Now Launcher, Google Keep, Month Calendar Widget, and White Light Flash. My fave apps.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any ideas why I can't stream videos in the iplayer app? I can download and watch videos but the quality isn't as good as it would be if streaming. Having this problem on my G2 and Galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition.

Volotaire

M8 still exists.

In theory this phone is just to extend their lineup till the M9.

Not to big of the fan of the M8 from the M7. A slight degradation. But yes, it's a die product that boost their lineup.

Also, I'm loving how smooth the Moto G is to operate. Stock is a joy to use. Some hiccups when opening to many applications as well some others, but it's been a great experience so far. Camera is shoddy, but expected.

PaulLFC

I get same thing and it work flawlessly. did you check the indicator?

maybe something to do with the "baser". my store give me 2. one is bigger than other since seem Z3C didnt fit with smaller one

I have the dk36 for Z2. It only works if plugged into the wall if you try using USB it cannot seem to draw enough power.

I eventually got it working - I took out the "phone clip" or whatever it's called from the charger to see if that improved the phone's contact with the charging pins. It seemed to as I got the familiar charging sound / status that I'd got through microUSB. That was with the phone taken out of the case, but I found that the "Z3 compact + case" clip is the perfect size to hold the Z3 in a case, or at least the case I have for it. It's now happily charging. Possibly the previous phone clip wasn't properly inserted into the dock, but it did seem to be.

This is true. It's just that my only prior smartphone experience was Windows Phone so it taking some time to get adjusted to Android....it's starting to grow on me. Gifs work as saved images which is a first for me! Quality wise the Z3 is amazing....I'll need a few more days before I decide whether to stick with it
The good thing about Android is the openness - if there is something you want the phone to do, the likelihood is that there will be a way to do it. Some require rooting etc but a lot don't.

This thread, the Android apps thread and the weekly apps recommendation topic over on /r/Android are all good places to find apps or tweaks to do things you want the phone to do (and plenty of things you didn't know you wanted it to do until you read about them).

One thing's for sure, the app selection and customisation is far more advanced on Android than it is on Windows Phone.

How safe is it to use swappa? I see some pretty good prices for phones but I've never purchased anything like this before so I'm hesitant. Is it better than eBay? Any thoughts?

Husker86

How safe is it to use swappa? I see some pretty good prices for phones but I've never purchased anything like this before so I'm hesitant. Is it better than eBay? Any thoughts?

I've only used it once but I really liked it. Very simple and low fees.

I've always read good comments about it.

I think one gaffer said he had an issue where the seller didn't pay off his phone and T-Mobile blacklisted it like 6 months later. But that could happen no matter where you buy the phone.

kehs

Banned
Yeah. 32GB needs to be a standard, especially on tablets. I can't imagine it costs that much more than 16GB.

Putting an sd slot would be cheaper...but Google hasn't managed to figure out how to handle multiple storage sources. It's a wonder how their data centers function.

like $4 more, so FOUR MILLION DOLLARS if you ship a million units...
Sounds like Google being cheap.

Putting an sd slot would be cheaper...but Google hasn't managed to figure out how to handle multiple storage sources. It's a wonder how their data centers function.
I don't care for SD cards. I'd rather just have bigger internal storage.

Ugh, Google makes it hard to go Nexus sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom