• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Depends I guess. Most people dont install that many apps, they dont take up that much space I dont think. Only the big games.

Its the only explanation I can think of. Google has alot of cloud based services. CLOUD IS THE FUTURE!

kehs

Banned
While they do want to push their cloud model. I don't think it necessarily means limiting local storage. They're gonna scan that shit anyways, as soon as you store anything on it.

In fact, having more local storage combined with powerful hardware offloads stress to their servers.

Sounds like Google being cheap.

I don't care for SD cards. I'd rather just have bigger internal storage.

Ugh, Google makes it hard to go Nexus sometimes.

Google has a price point they want to hit with Nexus. If you like internal storage, camera, battery life, microSD slot, etc. you shouldn't buy a Nexus. You aren't the target market.

kehs

Banned
Google has a price point they want to hit with Nexus. If you like internal storage, camera, battery life, microSD slot, etc. you shouldn't buy a Nexus. You aren't the target market.

So on point.

The nexus devices were ok when other oems weren't up to snuff (incidentally enough because android itself was half baked).

Sure, they're cheaper, but they're missing half the featuresets.

sdijoseph

I flashed my Verizon Galaxy Nexus back to stock (4.2) due to how incredibly bad the performance had gotten on a custom 4.4 ROM. I might just keep it like this until I upgrade my phone in a month or so, but have any of you guys tried out Paranoid Android and know what the performance is like?

Quasar

So on point.

The nexus devices were ok when other oems weren't up to snuff (incidentally enough because android itself was half baked).

Sure, they're cheaper, but they're missing half the featuresets.

Though aside from battery life they aren't features I particularly care about. For instance I care more about timely and extensive os updates more than I care about external storage. Certainly I've never desired more storage in my 16gb n4.

reKon

Banned

Limiting internal storage to cut down in costs is absolute bullshit. I can understand the battery, camera quality, ir blaster, waterproofing, and having a micro SD slot engineered, being things that are underwhelming or left out. But bumping internal storage to at least 32 and 64 GB would essentially cost nothing. Buying a Nvidia SHIELD tablet might not be actually looking like a bad option for people now. Good job Google.

I flashed my Verizon Galaxy Nexus back to stock (4.2) due to how incredibly bad the performance had gotten on a custom 4.4 ROM. I might just keep it like this until I upgrade my phone in a month or so, but have any of you guys tried out Paranoid Android and know what the performance is like?

Do you carry a car battery around with that thing?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any ideas why I can't stream videos in the iplayer app? I can download and watch videos but the quality isn't as good as it would be if streaming. Having this problem on my G2 and Galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition.

Anyone? Can't stream anything on the BBC sports app either.

kehs

Banned
Though aside from battery life they aren't features I particularly care about. For instance I care more about timely and extensive os updates more than I care about external storage. Certainly I've never desired more storage in my 16gb n4.
Timely updates tjatvadd features from years before.

#Nexus

Talon

Limiting internal storage to cut down in costs is absolute bullshit. I can understand the battery, camera quality, ir blaster, waterproofing, and having a micro SD slot engineered, being things that are underwhelming or left out. But bumping internal storage to at least 32 and 64 GB would essentially cost nothing. Buying a Nvidia SHIELD tablet might not be actually looking like a bad option for people now. Good job Google.
Notsureifserious

kehs

Banned
Why? Unless the Nexus tablet is significantly cheaper, why would it be a bad option?

If the nexus is using tegra, the shield will out perform it.

Tegras are notorious for being shitty outside of a vertically integrated product.

reKon

Banned
If the nexus is using tegra, the shield will out perform it.

Tegras are notorious for being shitty outside of a vertically integrated product.

Even more reason to consider the Shield if the Nexus 9 is at a similar price point.

I agree. Though this will most likely be the first Nexus with good battery life. The G3's battery is considered good right? And I'm sure there will be a 32GB variant, which is perfectly fine for me. 16GB isn't.

I agree. Though this will most likely be the first Nexus with good battery life. The G3's battery is considered good right? And I'm sure there will be a 32GB variant, which is perfectly fine for me. 16GB isn't.
Even Apple upgraded the amount of internal storage the IPhone have. I think/hope that google goes 64gb and 128gb for Nexus.

Even Apple upgraded the amount of internal storage the IPhone have. I think/hope that google goes 64gb and 128gb for Nexus.
Would be nice, but not gonna happen for years probably. I'd love to be proven wrong. And Apple still has 16GB as the baseline even though they bumped up the other capacities.

nah, still 16GB
Yep. Hopefully the 32GB model is still only 50 bones more, which is still too much for a storage bump. Better than 100$ more, though.

So any news on the One Plus 2 other than Q2/3 2015? I know they said they're "thinking about it" and that they heard the complaints about people wanting a smaller one. If they release a smaller one with equally good battery life, who needs a nexus yo.

I google'd it but I don't think there's any news.

Groof

They were right when they said that the G3's biggest weakness was its screen. The weird saturated colours (which aren't that big of a deal though, but drawback for some) as well as the insane sharpening filtering. It was passable at first but now it's really noticeable.
A shame too because it's soooo good otherwise. Great design, amazing feel in hand, good software features and a sharp camera. Battery seems decent as well with no major issues. Interested in seeing how LG takes on L.

They were right when they said that the G3's biggest weakness was its screen. The weird saturated colours (which aren't that big of a deal though, but drawback for some) as well as the insane sharpening filtering. It was passable at first but now it's really noticeable.
A shame too because it's soooo good otherwise. Great design, amazing feel in hand, good software features and a sharp camera. Battery seems decent as well with no major issues. Interested in seeing how LG takes on L.

That's a bummer. I guess you can't have it all. I wonder how long it will take the G3 to receive L.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

You can tweak the colors in the software settings. Some people have posted on various sites what you should tweak it to to get it to look decent.

It won't fix the sharping filter though. Maybe a software update could. Not sure if it's software or partly hardware.

Jigolo

"Android System" should not be that high which is why I'm assuming he got 4 1/2 he's of screen on time with 17% left. That happens to me when I'm somewhere with shitty cell service like work. When I work all day my N5 can only get around 2 1/2 - 3 hrs SoT. Not working I get 3 - 3 1/2

XBP

Can anyone with the Z3 comment on whether the device gets hot? The Z2 had a rather commonly noted problem of overheating quickly.

kehs

Banned
Can anyone with the Z3 comment on whether the device gets hot? The Z2 had a rather commonly noted problem of overheating quickly.

It get's hot when you do alot of processing. I did a couple of a slow mo videos earlier and I noticed the phone was a little bit hot.

Still better than a nexus though. Hi mturco. =)

XBP

It get's hot when you do alot of processing. I did a couple of a slow mo videos earlier and I noticed the phone was a little bit hot.

Still better than a nexus though. Hi mturco. =)

So is it anything that could be processor intensive (gaming e.g.) or mostly related to camera usage. Its rather strange that despite acknowledging this problem in the Z2 sony hasn't fixed this issue on the Z3.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So is it anything that could be processor intensive (gaming e.g.) or mostly related to camera usage. Its rather strange that despite acknowledging this problem in the Z2 sony hasn't fixed this issue on the Z3.

Most 801 phones get hot. It's just how it goes.

Just dip it in ice cold water and viola problem solved.

kehs

Banned

It get's hot doing stuff that requires heavy processing. That's true for any device. Sony just happens to offer those things up front.

Image processing isn't cheap ( computational wise). I'd rather have the option to do it, than not do it at all. Knowing battery will be hit.

longdi

Banned
Z2/Z3 have a large heatpipe inside. I think as hot as it gets, as long as the phone don't shut down or performance throttles, it should not be a problem. At least you know the processors are running well and the heat is getting transferred away from it.

Xperia-Z3-disassembly_14-640x426.jpg

Even with all the Nexus 6 stuff, is there even going to be a Google event for this stuff or will it just be announced at whatever time?

U2NUMB

So ends my first 2 days with Android after 3+ years of Windows Phone.

I admit it started out rough... Android takes some real time to dial in what you want from it. I have the OnePlus phone which has some nice built in features of course. While I miss some things on the windows phone like the clock and notifications showing even when your phone is turned off and when you look at it.. overall I finally hit the sweet spot tonight with my OnePlus and I can see the benefits of putting in the time to set it up.

Outside of that the only thing I am still struggling with is typing. I am getting a ton more errors on this phone than on my Lumina 920. I have switched to the google keyboard which helps but does not solve the overall feeling of it just does not read me right. Perhaps this is just something that will get better as my phone and I get familiar with eachother.

So overall. I think I am sold. Looking forward to going through this thread for tips and info on this OS.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So ends my first 2 days with Android after 3+ years of Windows Phone.

I admit it started out rough... Android takes some real time to dial in what you want from it. I have the OnePlus phone which has some nice built in features of course. While I miss some things on the windows phone like the clock and notifications showing even when your phone is turned off and when you look at it.. overall I finally hit the sweet spot tonight with my OnePlus and I can see the benefits of putting in the time to set it up.

Outside of that the only thing I am still struggling with is typing. I am getting a ton more errors on this phone than on my Lumina 920. I have switched to the google keyboard which helps but does not solve the overall feeling of it just does not read me right. Perhaps this is just something that will get better as my phone and I get familiar with eachother.

So overall. I think I am sold. Looking forward to going through this thread for tips and info on this OS.
Have you tried gesture typing/Swype?

Groof

You can tweak the colors in the software settings. Some people have posted on various sites what you should tweak it to to get it to look decent.

It won't fix the sharping filter though. Maybe a software update could. Not sure if it's software or partly hardware.
Yes but as I was saying, the colour saturation is passable, it's the sharpening filter that gets me. Besides, it's not my phone so I don't want to play with it too much heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom