• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXPett1

Even with all the Nexus 6 stuff, is there even going to be a Google event for this stuff or will it just be announced at whatever time?

If the last couple of launches is anything to go by...nope

But, with that said; L would be launching at the same time (rather than some incremental update) so there is still a possibility of a large event

NotBacon

All the features of "L" release without the waiting.

Oh your phone already has

final ART build
material design
lock screen notifications
heads-up notifications
project volta + battery historian
android extension pack
low-latency audio

?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Can anyone with the Z3 comment on whether the device gets hot? The Z2 had a rather commonly noted problem of overheating quickly.

I haven't used the camera or play games BUT I did do several hours of (HD) video watching and music listening and it did not heat up at all. Battery life is amazing too.

kehs

Banned
Oh your phone already has

final ART build
material design
lock screen notifications
heads-up notifications
project volta + battery historian
android extension pack
low-latency audio

?

All of those things are AOSP catching up to oem implementations.

I was all mad cause the xperia didnt have a choice to switch to ART. Days later realized it doesn't matter. Shit is smoother than any art device I've dealt with.

Material design...lol. Google's gonna take about two years to actually implement that across the board.

z3cbatterystats.jpg

Here's something funny. YouTube will play 1080p video if I install an Android L theme, but if I'm not using it, YouTube reverts back to 720p max resolution on 4.4.4

Jigolo

TIL Gaf isn't excited for Android L. Yeah, I'll roll with the rest of the internet on this one.

edit:
BzP756oCYAAFN7D.png

Groof

All of those things are AOSP catching up to oem implementations.

I was all mad cause the xperia didnt have a choice to switch to ART. Days later realized it doesn't matter. Shit is smoother than any art device I've dealt with.

Material design...lol. Google's gonna take about two years to actually implement that across the board.

z3cbatterystats.jpg
Regarding art and dalvik, oems usually do their own customizations and optimisations to the dalvik library to make it run better. A test made on the Moto x comparing dalvik and art showed no difference while on Nexus devices it made a bigger one.

Art in its final form will most likely help everyone a lot, but in a sense it's true that googy is playing catch up.

tzare

Hi,i have 2 questions for moto g owners:
Is hangouts the default sms app? Or does it have a dedicated one from motorola?

Is it possible to change runtime to ART ? Not all KK devices allow it

If hangouts is the sms app, which free one from playstore would you recommend?

Thanks!

belvedere

Junior Butler
Outside of that the only thing I am still struggling with is typing. I am getting a ton more errors on this phone than on my Lumina 920. I have switched to the google keyboard which helps but does not solve the overall feeling of it just does not read me right. Perhaps this is just something that will get better as my phone and I get familiar with eachother.

Have you tried switching to the Google keyboard? This helped me tremendously.

kehs

Banned
Regarding art and dalvik, oems usually do their own customizations and optimisations to the dalvik library to make it run better. A test made on the Moto x comparing dalvik and art showed no difference while on Nexus devices it made a bigger one.

Art in its final form will most likely help everyone a lot, but in a sense it's true that googy is playing catch up.

I wish all juniors were this understanding.

Thanks!

I bought a moto g for a family member.

You can turn on ART.

The phone comes with hangouts and the stock android messenger. Hangouts kicks the crap out of the messenger app though so I have no idea why you wouldn't want to use it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm making fun of you for being a child. Not being sensitive.

The #1 take away I've had from you posting in this thread is you take shit way to seriously for an online message board thread just discussing phones and tablets and things of that ilk.

anyone having issues with the fb app when attempting to click links that open in chrome. 90% of the time chrome crashes. If I try it 3-4 times usually it finall works. Its really frustrating

Is there anything that can be done to tweak the scrolling on Android? Something about it just doesn't feel right

mturco

Is there anything that can be done to tweak the scrolling on Android? Something about it just doesn't feel right

You could switch the runtime from Dalvik to ART. Depending on the phone that can make scrolling a good deal smoother. What phone are you using?

tzare

I bought a moto g for a family member.

You can turn on ART.

The phone comes with hangouts and the stock android messenger. Hangouts kicks the crap out of the messenger app though so I have no idea why you wouldn't want to use it.
Thanks

I use hangouts, but i find it too complicated for people not used to smartphones which is the case here. I need that the person knows when sends a sms and when is using instant messaging. Plus unfortunately most people in spain use whatsapp and hangouts is a wasteland ... they need to link hangouts to phone number asap. Then it will become relevant.

You could switch the runtime from Dalvik to ART. Depending on the phone that can make scrolling a good deal smoother. What phone are you using?
OnePlus One

Thanks!
Textra is my personal favorite but I am unable to get MMS working. I'm waiting for them to respond to my support email but as soon as they do I'm going back to it instead of Hangouts (which is also good)

mturco

OnePlus One

Yeah try switching to ART in the developer settings. When you switch it'll need to restart and the first boot can take a long time depending on how many apps you have installed because it's compiling each one. 10-15 minutes is not unusual.

yyzjohn

Banned
Software feels dated...

Wtf, is that shit?

Every review I've seen of Sony phones tout the battery life as fantastic. I'm really going to consider Sony as my next smartphone when my contract is up next year. Not sure if it'll be Xperia Z4 or Xperia Z5 at the rate they're pumping them out.

JayDub

Getting a Note 4, was wondering about Visual Voicemail. If anyone has an S5, does TouchWiz's phone app finally have Visual Voicemail built in? If not, what are some recommended visual voicemail apps?

malyce

I'm waiting on the Note 4[805 Soc] battery life review before I decide whether or not I'll grab that N6. As much as I love stock android having 3 Nexus phones in a row with sub-par battery life and camera doesn't work for me. Battery life was the sole reason I skipped the N5 having previously owned all the other nexus phones. I'll just grab a G2 for $200 and wait till next year to grab something nice with a 20mn SoC. The battery life on the N4 is annoying.

You know they are going to cheap out and put a 2300 mah battery in the nexus 6. I think the One Plus One is still the king this year. It's basically a Nexus with a better battery and more storage.

Jigolo

I'm waiting on the Note 4[805 Soc] battery life review before I decide whether or not I'll grab that N6. As much as I love stock android having 3 Nexus phones in a row with sub-par battery life and camera doesn't work for me. Battery life was the sole reason I skipped the N5 having previously owned all the other nexus phones. I'll just grab a G2 for $200 and wait till next year to grab something nice with a 20mn SoC. The battery life on the N4 is annoying.

Judging from the AA review it can get 5hrs screen on time easily. They reviewed the 805 model.

Every review I've seen of Sony phones tout the battery life as fantastic. I'm really going to consider Sony as my next smartphone when my contract is up next year. Not sure if it'll be Xperia Z4 or Xperia Z5 at the rate they're pumping them out.
Most likely the Z4. Sony will most certainly upgrade to a QHD display or higher. Hopefully they respond accordingly with a good battery size. Sony should position the Xperia line as phones with amazing battery life.

yyzjohn

Banned
Most likely the Z4. Sony will most certainly upgrade to a QHD display or higher. Hopefully they respond accordingly with a good battery size. Sony should position the Xperia line as phones with amazing battery life.

Didn't the Z3 come out only 6 months after the Z2? If they do that again in 2015 i'll be in line for the 2nd update in the fall since my contract is up in November.

Didn't the Z3 come out only 6 months after the Z2? If they do that again in 2015 i'll be in line for the 2nd update in the fall since my contract is up in November.

It'll be just in time for when I up my plan in July :). A Z4 by July? That would be amazing haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom