• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know they are going to cheap out and put a 2300 mah battery in the nexus 6. I think the One Plus One is still the king this year. It's basically a Nexus with a better battery and more storage.
that's why I'm saying if they releaes a smaller one next year then who even needs a nexus phone. Assuming it has the same good battery life.

NotBacon

All of those things are AOSP catching up to oem implementations.

I was all mad cause the xperia didnt have a choice to switch to ART. Days later realized it doesn't matter. Shit is smoother than any art device I've dealt with.

Material design...lol. Google's gonna take about two years to actually implement that across the board.

z3cbatterystats.jpg

Not sure if trolling or not, so not going to waste my time with this shitpost.

Android L will potentially make up the difference and then some.

No, remember L won't effect Samsung devices?

It's also going to instantly double battery life on all devices except Samsung devices. Because you know Touchwiz.

reKon

Banned
that's why I'm saying if they releaes a smaller one next year then who even needs a nexus phone. Assuming it has the same good battery life.

Waiting Hugo starts pushing those Xiaomi phones to the US and other manufacturers start following suit. Then we will start see an ass whooping and cheaper phones all at the expense of Android manufacturers while Apple remains comfortable in their lane with their millions of followers.

You know they are going to cheap out and put a 2300 mah battery in the nexus 6. I think the One Plus One is still the king this year. It's basically a Nexus with a better battery and more storage.
It's already confirmed to have a 3200+mAh battery though. The only thing the One Plus has over the Nexus is storage capacity.

Yeah try switching to ART in the developer settings. When you switch it'll need to restart and the first boot can take a long time depending on how many apps you have installed because it's compiling each one. 10-15 minutes is not unusual.
This seem to help. Might be placebo, regardless, thanks!

NotBacon

This seem to help. Might be placebo, regardless, thanks!

Nah it's real. Android RunTime compiles all of the application code at install time. Dalvik uses just-in-time compilation meaning it turns the bytecode into machine instructions on the fly, this takes up much more computing power.

Best part is you're using a very very old build of ART. Google is still working on it and showed a much better version at I/O months ago. And they're still working on it up to the release of L.

Can't wait to see the final version...

Waiting Hugo starts pushing those Xiaomi phones to the US and other manufacturers start following suit. Then we will start see an ass whooping and cheaper phones all at the expense of Android manufacturers while Apple remains comfortable in their lane with their millions of followers.
I wouldn't mind a landscape shake in terms of android manufacturers but it's an uphill climb. I can't imagine casuals getting a xaomi phone. They'd rather get "the samsung".

It's already confirmed to have a 3200+mAh battery though. The only thing the One Plus has over the Nexus is storage capacity.

Nothing is confirmed until it's announced. I'll get it day 1 probably even if it's 16 gb if it has a 3200 mah battery. I'm satisfied with the 1+1, but if leaked specs are true the Nexus will rock.

SimleuqiR

Nah it's real. Android RunTime compiles all of the application code at install time. Dalvik uses just-in-time compilation meaning it turns the bytecode into machine instructions on the fly, this takes up much more computing power.

Best part is you're using a very very old build of ART. Google is still working on it and showed a much better version at I/O months ago. And they're still working on it up to the release of L.

Can't wait to see the final version...

Yeah, the more refined ART is something I'm looking for.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Good for you. My number #1 take away from your posts has been ignorance and anger.

The fact that you think this shows you take this thread waaayyyy to seriously.

I don't. Neither do most of the rest of us not named you.

PS: I do find it funny I'm ignorant when I post actual factual information. LoL

yyzjohn

Banned
Will L also fix the messed up Chrome browser that has become worse since it got 'materialised'?

Or will it just cure cancer?

Android L will install a new feature on all phones whereby a huge hand comes out of the screen and jerks you off on demand. "OK Google, jerk me off"

Jigolo

Will L also fix the messed up Chrome browser that has become worse since it got 'materialised'?

Or will it just cure cancer?

Shit I'm getting better battery life while using material Chrome on my N10. Before I wouldn't be able to get up to 7 hrs screen on time and now I get a little over 7hrs every time. Some nice under the hood changes they did with the update. Now if they could just add the refresh button back to a "one tap", that'd be great.

vpance

Z3C battery life off the 2nd full charge

LYjSL0Y.jpg

PMKUSTk.jpg

Will try the CPU throttling next to see if it makes a big difference, but regardless I'm pleased with the results.

Toki767

Z3C battery life off the 2nd full charge

Will try the CPU throttling next to see if it makes a big difference, but regardless I'm pleased with the results.

It's interesting when comparing the Z3 battery life to that of all the other smartphones because I always see Android OS/Android System taking up like 20-30% battery life in most phones leading to like 4-5 hours of on screen time whereas with the Z3, Android OS/Android System take up about 10% total. I wonder if Sony fixed whatever bugs Google may have in those operations.

E-mail is a shit program. I report it every GD time.

Perhaps that's the case, but for me it started crashing two weeks ago and now it's multiple times in a day. Usually when I'm not using the e-mail app. It's just really weird. Maybe it's Google's way telling me that I should get a different phone!

It's interesting when comparing the Z3 battery life to that of all the other smartphones because I always see Android OS/Android System taking up like 20-30% battery life in most phones leading to like 4-5 hours of on screen time whereas with the Z3, Android OS/Android System take up about 10% total. I wonder if Sony fixed whatever bugs Google may have in those operations.

Nexus devices are notorious for this, I think that the base Android is just not optimized at all for battery usage and Google leaves it up to the OEMs to do that for their specific Android builds.

terrier

Perhaps that's the case, but for me it started crashing two weeks ago and now it's multiple times in a day. Usually when I'm not using the e-mail app. It's just really weird. Maybe it's Google's way telling me that I should get a different phone!

i've have had exchange problems since i bought my nexus 5, never happened before, i guess is google's own mail app since i have no issues on other devices using stock mail app (a samsung and an xperia both on 4.4.2)
I am using mailwise right now on my N5, works fine but exchange calendar doesn't sync with Google calendar

Toki767

Nexus devices are notorious for this, I think that the base Android is just not optimized at all for battery usage and Google leaves it up to the OEMs to do that for their specific Android builds.

And no OEMs actually do except for Sony. Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC all have high battery usage for Android OS compared to Sony's phones..

Come on, what's more important to you? The best coverage nationwide with the best speed on any network or some stupid Google app? You can't have both.

i've have had exchange problems since i bought my nexus 5, never happened before, i guess is google's own mail app since i have no issues on other devices using stock mail app (a samsung and an xperia both on 4.4.2)
I am using mailwise right now on my N5, works fine but exchange calendar doesn't sync with Google calendar

Thanks for the tip. I might try mailwise then.

dc89

Hello AndroidGAF,

Long time (2008) iOS user here who has just got himself a Xperia Z3. Apart from the obvious, are there any apps you can recommend? Also, any tips or tricks that you think I should be aware of.

Thanks.

Fox318

Hello AndroidGAF,

Long time (2008) iOS user here who has just got himself a Xperia Z3. Apart from the obvious, are there any apps you can recommend? Also, any tips or tricks that you think I should be aware of.

Thanks.
Pocketcasts

Zeppu

iOS late to the the party as usual.

They finally got around to deploying some fragmentation.
yenYy4a.png

Still not as good as Android's fragmentation though.

Hello AndroidGAF,

Thanks.

Pocketcasts, for podcasts. As I know you're a big footy and City fan you'll be wanting to get that guardian footy podcast sorted asap.

Safe In Cloud. Great password manager, available on iOS, Windows, Chrome and uOS too. One off payment to cloud sync.

Soccer live scores. Set up notifications for games, favourite teams etc.

Reddit Sync, if you use Reddit.

Flixster for movie times, theatres etc

Talon if you use Twitter as an alternative to the official client.

All the Google Apps, but then they'll come Pre installed :)

terrier

i've never quite understood this fragmenation debate, i mean, obviously having the latest version of OS is usually great but i have a wide range of android devices at home from 2.2 to 4.4.4 and most apps work on all of them , only my old moto defy stuck on 2.2 misses a few..
And my acer iconia that won't run google now launcher since is stuck on 4.0.4 (i can manually install the apk though)
I guess it depends on what apps you use at the end of the day.
And as for the os itself, afaik, even old apple devices with latest iOS version have some of its features missing because hw can't handle it properly, so that fragmentation pie is a bit of a lie if that is true

dc89

Pocketcasts

Pocketcasts, for podcasts. As I know you're a big footy and City fan you'll be wanting to get that guardian footy podcast sorted asap.

Safe In Cloud. Great password manager, available on iOS, Windows, Chrome and uOS too. One off payment to cloud sync.

Soccer live scores. Set up notifications for games, favourite teams etc.

Reddit Sync, if you use Reddit.

Flixster for movie times, theatres etc

Talon if you use Twitter as an alternative to the official client.

All the Google Apps, but then they'll come Pre installed :)

:O feels strange knowing you recognise me by the club I support :lool

Thanks for the recommendations! Just getting used to this thing, it's so fast and slick and IT HAS PROPER WIDGETS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom