• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
iOS late to the the party as usual.

They finally got around to deploying some fragmentation.
yenYy4a.png

Still not as good as Android's fragmentation though.

iOS 7 runs like shit on my iPad 4, so I can understand by people refuse to upgrade.

Z3C battery life off the 2nd full charge

Will try the CPU throttling next to see if it makes a big difference, but regardless I'm pleased with the results.

Wow. I have a Z3C but not getting anywhere near that. Getting 4-5 hours in an 18 hours day and wondering what I'm doing wrong. I have Now enabled and FB messenger which might be affecting it. What are your settings and to other people as well how might I diagnose this as a potential probelem?

Wow. I have a Z3C but not getting anywhere near that. Getting 4-5 hours in an 18 hours day and wondering what I'm doing wrong. I have Now enabled and FB messenger which might be affecting it. What are your settings and to other people as well how might I diagnose this as a potential probelem?

Trying Greenifying FB messenger

vpance

Check your battery usage under Power management in Settings to see the app usage. FWIW I have stamina mode on, auto brightness capped around 50% and uninstalled the Xperia bloatware.

reKon

Banned
I have had Facebook Messenger off my phone for a just about a week now and I think it may have actually made a tiny difference. These things are actually impossible to tell. That app usually never did that much damage. It was the facebook app itself that was always shitty with battery.

I'm doing a little experiment for the next week. I'm leaving Stamina Mode on at all times in order to turn off data/Wi-Fi when the screen is off. Since I'm at work most of the day, I don't really check my phone much until maybe around lunch time. I have left the option off to decrease the CPU performance because I noticed when I do have it checked on, while the phone is very fast, I think I do notice a lower overall frame rate. Under these conditions yesterday, I believe that I ended the night at 73% and when I woke up this morning, the phone showed 72%. I had 1:20 of screen time yesterday while browsing and listening to music. I was also listening while the screen was off, did some downloading, and talked on the phone for 20 mins.

I'm not going to run my phone down to 10% anymore as its harmful to the battery, but I'm assuming that it will be around 40%, which will mean in general for me - I would get 3 days (72 hours) with light/medium usage.

Also, I'm not going to need to open up the flaps to charge anymore after my magnetic charging adapter comes in tomorrow!

I have had Facebook Messenger off my phone for a just about a week now and I think it may have actually made a tiny difference. These things are actually impossible to tell. That app usually never did that much damage. It was the facebook app itself that was always shitty with battery.

I'm doing a little experiment for the next week. I'm leaving Stamina Mode on at all times in order to turn off data/Wi-Fi when the screen is off. Since I'm at work most of the day, I don't really check my phone much until maybe around lunch time. I have left the option off to decrease the CPU performance because I noticed when I do have it checked on, while the phone is very fast, I think I do notice a lower overall frame rate. Under these conditions yesterday, I believe that I ended the night at 73% and when I woke up this morning, the phone showed 72%. I had 1:20 of screen time yesterday while browsing and listening to music. I was also listening while the screen was off, did some downloading, and talked on the phone for 20 mins.

I'm not going to run my phone down to 10% anymore as its harmful to the battery, but I'm assuming that it will be around 40%, which will mean in general for me - I would get 3 days (72 hours) with light/medium usage.

Also, I'm not going to need to open up the flaps to charge anymore after my magnetic charging adapter comes in tomorrow!

I installed an xposed module that reduces the amount of activity associated with google play, it helped my standby time significantly.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/nlpunbouncer-xposed-module/

NotBacon

Hello AndroidGAF,

Long time (2008) iOS user here who has just got himself a Xperia Z3. Apart from the obvious, are there any apps you can recommend? Also, any tips or tricks that you think I should be aware of.

Thanks.

Google Now Launcher.
Google Keep.
Google Keyboard.
Google Hangouts for texting.
Circa for news.
Month Calendar widget.
White Light Flashlight (single permission and awesome widget).
Reddit Sync Pro.
Wally.
Eventbrite.
Yahoo Weather.
Sound Search for Google Play.

reKon

Banned
I still use Simple Calender widget...

I might buy that Today Calender app is you can prove to me that it's definitely the best calender app.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm ready for both companies to announce phones with specs from 6 months ago if not more. They will tout the phones as new hawtness though and try to sell the devices as a premium.

Toki767

I'm ready for some Snapdragon 810 phones already. The 805 seriously might be the most underused Snapdragon chip. Like 5 phones use it?

Edit: Oh good. Google finally incorporating more of Samsung's useful features that people like to call bloatware just because Samsung did it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm ready for some Snapdragon 810 phones already. The 805 seriously might be the most underused Snapdragon chip. Like 5 phones use it?

Problem is Qualcomm's chipset schedule hasn't exactly been speedy. I also feel like they have way to many different chipsets being created vs actually needed, and they get out dated to fast.

Would rather see them cutback to to like 4 base lines which I thought they were trying to do ie Snap 200, 400, 600, & 800. Then just make 1 successor for each instead of this fucking myriad of chipsets we have now that are in like 1 fucking phone.

I mean WTF is the Snap 610? Why we got the Snap 615 at like the same fucking time? Shit makes no sense.

Toki767

Problem is Qualcomm's chipset schedule hasn't exactly been speedy. I also feel like they have way to many different chipsets being created vs actually needed, and they get out dated to fast.

Would rather see them cutback to to like 4 base lines which I thought they were trying to do ie Snap 200, 400, 600, & 800. Then just make 1 successor for each instead of this fucking myriad of chipsets we have now that are in like 1 fucking phone.

I mean WTF is the Snap 610? Why we got the Snap 615 at like the same fucking time? Shit makes no sense.

Yeah, a year or two ago they would release the main chipset and it'd last for a year. Now they're doing 2 per year and no one really puts out flagships near the end of the year aside from Samsung.

Android 10

"According to our information, content like images or snippets of text could be dragged between windows, including dragging search terms or images from one window into the search interface."

That makes it already superior to Windows 8/Nein/10.

Check your battery usage under Power management in Settings to see the app usage. FWIW I have stamina mode on, auto brightness capped around 50% and uninstalled the Xperia bloatware.

Will take a screenshot when I'm done for the day. Signal was pretty bad today which probably affects it, but so far I'm at 31% with just under 12 hours of usage with 2h48m of screen time, which just doesn't sound right at all. 11% android system and 11% android OS usage :( don't know what it could be!

reKon

Banned
Will take a screenshot when I'm done for the day. Signal was pretty bad today which probably affects it, but so far I'm at 31% with just under 12 hours of usage with 2h48m of screen time, which just doesn't sound right at all. 11% android system and 11% android OS usage :( don't know what it could be!

bad signal and high screen brightness will do it

bad signal and high screen brightness will do it

Screen brightness is at minimum for 90% of my usage with "adjust brightness" turned off. It's just weird. Gonna keep an eye on it the next few days, because as it is it's super disappointing and I can't figure out the problem.

vpance

Screen brightness is at minimum for 90% of my usage with "adjust brightness" turned off. It's just weird. Gonna keep an eye on it the next few days, because as it is it's super disappointing and I can't figure out the problem.

90 is high though, especially with auto off. But like rekon said if you're in an area with poor signal your phone will drain itself badly trying to find it, so that could be one of the other reasons.

I'd give stamina mode a shot as well. I have it on with exceptions for Gmail and messaging.

I always wondered this. The new Nexus is supposed to be using the Snapdragon 805 right? That's about it for this year save for a few phones and 810 processors are coming out next year. What's with this constant upgrade?

Toki767

I always wondered this. The new Nexus is supposed to be using the Snapdragon 805 right? That's about it for this year save for a few phones and 810 processors are coming out next year. What's with this constant upgrade?

The 805 was made specifically for the 2K screens. The 810 is made specifically for the change to 64-bit.

All things considered, the 805 should have been out earlier in the year and the 801 never should have happened.

Looks great. And if it is low level which would allow any app to work, as AP suggests, it's a much better implementation than Samsung's.

Edit: Oh good. Google finally incorporating more of Samsung's useful features that people like to call bloatware just because Samsung did it.
I'm pretty sure multi window is not something people list when talking about Samsung's bloat. I use multi window all the time, but that's really about it of what Samsung adds. It's crap like S Voice & S Translate, and extremely gimmicky crap like Air View, Air Gesture, Smart Stay, Smart Scroll, Smart Pause and the like that's bloat.

Looks great. And if it is low level which would allow any app to work, as AP suggests, it's a much better implementation than Samsung's.

I'm pretty sure multi window is not something people list when talking about Samsung's bloat. I use multi window all the time, but that's really about it of what Samsung adds. It's crap like S Voice & S Translate, and extremely gimmicky crap like Air View, Air Gesture, Smart Stay, Smart Scroll, Smart Pause and the like that's bloat.

Smart Stay (and Smart Rotate) are great. calling out Air Gesture? hello Moto.

Smart Stay (and Smart Rotate) are great. calling out Air Gesture? hello Moto.
Oh I definitely think the air gestures on the moto x are gimmicky too. It's something I'd never use.

As for the Smart stuff, I've tried them a few times, but didn't think it was worth having them turned on. More power to you though. And is smart rotate the one that uses your head's position to rotate the display? If so, then yes, that is actually useful.

The 805 was made specifically for the 2K screens. The 810 is made specifically for the change to 64-bit.

All things considered, the 805 should have been out earlier in the year and the 801 never should have happened.

I think I'm just gonna wait on an 810 device. My M7 should hold out another 6 months or so though Z3 is super tempting

NotBacon

Okay my dad is looking for a new cell plan because he is sick of Verizon. We're looking at T-mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Sprint.

The plan would be for 3 people at about 2gb data each. Unlimited talk and text. Also we're in Portland, OR.

I'm leaning towards T-mobile or Cricket. My dad is leaning towards Sprint for some reason.

Thoughts?

Okay my dad is looking for a new cell plan because he is sick of Verizon. We're looking at T-mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Sprint.

The plan would be for 3 people at about 2gb data each. Unlimited talk and text. Also we're in Portland, OR.

I'm leaning towards T-mobile or Cricket. My dad is leaning towards Sprint for some reason.

Thoughts?

Dat free T-mobile test drive.

Thoughts?

I would stay away from CDMA if you your gsm reception is good.

Cricket seems like a no brainer imo.
Edit: I take that back. Tmo has some great pricing as well.

Toki767

How much is your dad wanting to spend on a plan? I mean obviously the cheaper the better but there are tradeoffs here and there.

What's the best way to figure out if your phone has a locked bootloader or not? I've got a AT&T Galaxy Alpha and since the XDA forum is for both the Int'l version and the AT&T version and is still incredibly small, nobody knows if the AT&T variant is bootloader locked or not. I managed to take these photos while in Download Mode and I think the "Secure Download: Enable" would point to a locked bootloader but I haven't dealt with Samsung stuff for a while so I'm not sure:

Toki767

What's the best way to figure out if your phone has a locked bootloader or not? I've got a AT&T Galaxy Alpha and since the XDA forum is for both the Int'l version and the AT&T version and is still incredibly small, nobody knows if the AT&T variant is bootloader locked or not. I managed to take these photos while in Download Mode and I think the "Secure Download: Enable" would point to a locked bootloader but I haven't dealt with Samsung stuff for a while so I'm not sure:

All AT&T phones have a locked bootloader these days.

NotBacon

Cricket seems like a no brainer imo.
Edit: I take that back. Tmo has some great pricing as well.

This is my predicament

How much is your dad wanting to spend on a plan? I mean obviously the cheaper the better but there are tradeoffs here and there.

I don't think it matters too much as he's been paying astronomical amounts of money for Verizon for a long time, anything cheaper is nice. He said he was paying like $300+ a month for the 3 lines wtf?

Toki767

This is my predicament

I don't think it matters too much as he's been paying astronomical amounts of money for Verizon for a long time, anything cheaper is nice. He said he was paying like $300+ a month for the 3 lines wtf?

Damn. Are you guys on the stupid cheap data plan and then paying an extra $10/per extra 300mb or something?

T-Mobile pricing options are definitely very fair. As is AT&T's Mobile Share plan. 10GB shared between 3 phones with unlimited calls, text, and international texting for $145.

Husker86

I'd take T-Mobile over Sprint and T-Mobile doesn't even have a store in Omaha. Can't even get a number with my area code!

AT&T has a better network. If the prices are the same (with Cricket) vs. T-Mobile then I'd definitely go AT&T.

If you every leave your city, T-Mobile coverage might bite you in the ass.

Then again, Cricket can't roam. It doesn't seem like AT&T would have anyone to roam on, but they do. I see it when driving through western Nebraska and I get data even on roaming.

I have an AT&T shared plan and am very happy with it.

Check the maps!

thenexus6

Does anyone know how I get a SMS display icon like my hangout account has?

I've searched everywhere in SMS settings but can't find anything.

Cg0vjJbb.jpg

Jigolo

Thoughts?
T-Mobile for sure. Is the fastest growing cell provider for a reason. They are doing many things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom