• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

nexusae0_silhS_thumb1.png

Is there going to be google play edition g3?

VoxPop

I don't expect them to be the same kind of value. Just curious as to which ones. However, my used GS4 is still worth MAYBE $400 at most...

Yeah looks like the S4 is at about 300-350$ [ released april 2013, lost $300 value ]

iPhone 5S at around 450-500 [ released sept 2013, lost $200 value ]

iPhone 5 at 300-350. [ released sept 2012, lost $300 value ]

Xperia Z1S at 400-450 [ released sept 2013, lost $300 value ]

HTC One M7 at 200-250 [ released march 2013, lost $250-350 value ]

reKon

Banned
Yeah looks like the S4 is at about 300-350$ [ released april 2013, lost $300 value ]

iPhone 5S at around 450-500 [ released sept 2013, lost $200 value ]

iPhone 5 at 300-350. [ released sept 2012, lost $300 value ]

Xperia Z1S at 400-450 [ released sept 2013, lost $300 value ]

HTC One M7 at 200-250 [ released march 2013, lost $250-350 value ]

I'm pretty sure you can get more than that easily for the M7

Anyone have an LG G2 here? Ever since I updated to Kit Kat, my messaging app (stock) has been randomly closing out on me here and there while I'm typing. It's a bit annoying since it doesn't save the text I wrote and I'm not really sure what I can do unless LG put out another update. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

I guess I could try a different messaging app or something.

VoxPop

The trick is to always be inform when the next model will be out, once you know that, sell the unit before the price plummets.

Yup exactly what I do. But I was having a nice time with the M7 and was the first phone in a while that I didn't think of upgrading. That all changes in September though :p

Piercedveil said:
Anyone have an LG G2 here? Ever since I updated to Kit Kat, my messaging app (stock) has been randomly closing out on me here and there while I'm typing. It's a bit annoying since it doesn't save the text I wrote and I'm not really sure what I can do unless LG put out another update. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Don't have a G2 but you should check out other messaging apps. Currently using helloSMS and its beautiful. Especially if you change up the font too something nicer with PerAppFont.

*not an advertisement :p

Don't have a G2 but you should check out other messaging apps. Currently using helloSMS and its beautiful. Especially if you change up the font too something nicer with PerAppFont.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a shot! Looks nice and hopefully the crashing will stop.

I have a G2 and have not had problems with the messages app closing. BUT, I do find it very easy to just brush the home key with is directly below the space bar which would close the app.

So what are people opinions on antivirus like avg mobile on the playstore. Is it even needed or a waste?
Sorry if dumb question, not the most knowledgeable of smartphones.

reKon

Banned
I was just basing those numbers on the average sale price of those models on Ebay.

God damn it: http://swappa.com/buy/htc-one-tmobile/us

This flew right over me, lol. I'm surprised that I was able to get $140 for my Galaxy Nexus a year ago though. If I were to sell my phone now for $250 and pay off my equipment plan on T Mobile, I would net $10 and be able to get any new phone I wanted coming out to t-mobile because I expensive my cell phone bill through my company.

NotBacon

Everyone: "lord G3 has come to save us all"
G3: "oh btw I have an 801"
Everyone: "..."

So what are people opinions on antivirus like avg mobile on the playstore. Is it even needed or a waste?
Sorry if dumb question, not the most knowledgeable of smartphones.

waste

Yup exactly what I do. But I was having a nice time with the M7 and was the first phone in a while that I didn't think of upgrading. That all changes in September though :p

The m7 is still a great device, its one of my favorite phone ever, pretty much flawless. HTC really nailed sense.

jokkir

My guess on the Android Silver thing is a rebranded and ramped up Google Play Edition devices with Nexus being on the same league as them. There will still be a Nexus but called Nexus Silver since they ran out of numbers to use.

Believe.

That's actually quite nice minus that terrible choice of red camera protruding

yooooo, evan got his twitter handle changing perspective to match the 3d animation!

return of the red ring!

yaassss the Red Camera ring is back.

No, other than the red ring, its a great looking phone. Its almost like they were scared to design something TOO good, so they put this random out of place fucking red ring on there to make sure they fuck it up a little.

Red? Is there something wrong with my TV? It looks orange as fuck to me.

I'm not really into cases because android phone case are not as fancy as the iPhone..like the element cases..

But anyone familiar with kewer cases?

_sE_8361383339.jpg

Moto E review by The Verge

Motorola Moto E

8.1 Verge Score

Good Stuff

• Extraordinarily cheap
  • Runs the latest version of Android very well
  • Uncomplicated and pleasing design

Bad Stuff

• Woeful camera
  • Display is merely adequate
  • 4GB of storage isn't much

The purest expression of Google's vision of a more inclusive Android

Cutting what isn’t strictly necessary, but retaining a core of reliable performance and simple design, Motorola has set a new standard with the Moto E. No longer can phone manufacturers complacently issue hamstrung devices that only look, but don’t really act, like smartphones. Firefox OS and every other effort at building affordable smartphones will have to measure themselves against the Moto E’s comprehensive capabilities. This phone is fast and responsive, hides its compromises well, and its access to the Google Play Store plugs it into the vast and thriving Android ecosystem.

Android became the dominant mobile platform of today on the back of breakthrough high-end devices like the Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Evo 4G, and Motorola Droid. The next stage in its growth will be driven by phones like the Moto E, a handset that’s affordable to many and good enough for most.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/22/5737290/motorola-moto-e-review

The first company to release a compact 4.6" 720p IPS, 2GB RAM, 8GB storage+SD, S410, 8MP camera device for $199-229 with a very wide global release and dual sim can absolutely kill it. The demand for such a device is massive and will disrupt everyone else in the market.

Neither Sony nor HTC have the balls which leaves Samsung to dominate yet another couple if years in the Android market...

Edit: DisplayMate lol, may as well be called SamsungMate...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S5s-screen-is-far-from-the-best-heres-why_id56255

Real scientific measurements showing the S5 screen for the piece of crap that it really is. It also washes out after around 45 degrees. The S4 screen was better. Samsung fucked up and then paid off DisplayMate to lie about the quality of the screen to cover it up.

Futureman

The first company to release a compact 4.6" 720p IPS, 2GB RAM, 8GB storage+SD, S410, 8MP camera device for $199-229 with a very wide global release and dual sim can absolutely kill it. The demand for such a device is massive and will disrupt everyone else in the market.

isn't this pretty much the Moto G or at least the next revision of it?

I don't believe Samsung has ever had a very cheap off-contract phone have they?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Neither Sony nor HTC have the balls which leaves Samsung to dominate yet another couple if years in the Android market...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S5s-screen-is-far-from-the-best-heres-why_id56255

Real scientific measurements showing the S5 screen for the piece of crap that it really is. It also washes out after around 45 degrees. The S4 screen was better. Samsung fucked up and then paid off DisplayMate to lie about the quality of the screen to cover it up.

dem LG screens, whew

VoxPop

ah yea I guess overseas they do and that's what the OP was talking about.

I'm 100% behind turning this into X+1 |OT|.

Yup makes sense when you think about it. When they shipped about 10-15m Galaxy S5's to date. iPhone 5S sold that many in the first 3 days. I believe they're at the 90m mark with the 5S currently. Samsung is still the top dog by a huge margin in terms of phones shipped/sold though.

Why aren't you just using hangouts?

ah yea I guess overseas they do and that's what the OP was talking about.

I'm 100% behind turning this into X+1 |OT|.

not just overseas. iirc, the Apple lawsuit revealed Samsung's biggest sellers a few years ago were the Epic 4G (Sprint variant of the Galaxy S [RIP HWKBs]) and the Galaxy Prevail, a cheap prepaid that was on several US carriers.

terrier

i've read that sony has something called D2403 in the works , that may borrow a few things from M2 to rival Moto G in a not too distant future. Know anything about that? 4.4 screen is kinda weird though
http://www.xatakamovil.com/sony/sony-prepara-un-competidor-para-el-motorola-moto-g

KissVibes

Banned
Out of the two, which phone would you folks recommend the Moto X or the LG G2? This is looking at the phones that are free with a two-year on Verizon right now but I won't be getting a phone for at least a month so maybe Verizon will offer better devices?

I want a phone that'll last at least two years, takes good pictures, has good battery life and call quality. Something that'll be able to handle light gaming and apps like tumblr and twitter and won't get scorching hot if I'm on the phone talking to someone for a few hours.

Edit: Oh and I need to able to scan bar codes too. I know that's a weird thing to ask for but my current phone can't do it and it sucks.

Husker86

Out of the two, which phone would you folks recommend the Moto X or the LG G2? This is looking at the phones that are free with a two-year on Verizon right now but I won't be getting a phone for at least a month so maybe Verizon will offer better devices?

I want a phone that'll last at least two years, takes good pictures, has good battery life and call quality. Something that'll be able to handle light gaming and apps like tumblr and twitter and won't get scorching hot if I'm on the phone talking to someone for a few hours.

Edit: Oh and I need to able to scan bar codes too. I know that's a weird thing to ask for but my current phone can't do it and it sucks.

Even though I prefer Google's Android experience over the OEMs, the G2 is a far better phone as far as specs go and it would be hard for me to recommend the Moto X over it at the same price.

Better phones are coming, but that's a game you might find yourself stuck in. LG G3 and more should be hitting soon though.

KissVibes

Banned
Even though I prefer Google's Android experience over the OEMs, the G2 is a far better phone as far as specs go and it would be hard for me to recommend the Moto X over it at the same price.

Better phones are coming, but that's a game you might find yourself stuck in. LG G3 and more should be hitting soon though.

Yeah, I just can't afford to buy one or put money down.

I really like the form factor of the Moto X and personalization options, but the G2 just seems so much better. A little larger than I'd like (the HTC HD7 was the only phone I thought was the perfect size) but since both are "free", I gotta go with the better of the two.

I currently use a Kyocera Event since I've been so broke, so really anything is a dramatic improvement over this piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom