• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
A camera that degrades the moment you unlock the boot loader is a terrible camera.

That killed my interest in the z3 completely.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm getting excited for Android L. It's close, got to play with it a bit in the summer, I want to see how far it's come in the last few months.

A camera that degrades the moment you unlock the boot loader is a terrible camera.

That killed my interest in the z3 completely.

wait what? Really? booooooooooooooooo

These days, I really don't care for custom roms but I do like the option to root my phone. I am curious to see how much the phone will cost on T-Mobile. If it isn't too bad, I will get the Z3 and sell my G3.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Rumor on the twittersphere is...

screenshot2014-10-09a83uhj.png

Volotaire

Rumor on the twittersphere is...

screenshot2014-10-09a83uhj.png

Hmm, more expensive. The Nexus 5 was £299 for the 16GB model and £339 for the 32GB edition IIRC. This is getting near flagship territory. Flagships tend to launch for about £550 for the non phablet versions in the UK, with offers down to £500. Usually within a few months if the unpopular ones, they tend to go down to about £450

PriitV

805, QHD, 3200mAH

makes sense. At least they are not charging $700 like Samsung, HTC, and LG for their flagships.

You could have said the same thing about the nexus 5 last year, s800, fhd, OIS. Doing incremental upgrades yearly should not drive the price up, all other OEM's have kept their price at the same area, you don't see LG asking 200€ more for G3 vs G2 because it now has QHD.

Jigolo

You could have said the same thing about the nexus 5 last year, s800, fhd, OIS. Doing incremental upgrades yearly should not drive the price up, all other OEM's have kept their price at the same area, you don't see LG asking 200€ more for G3 vs G2 because it now has QHD.

N5 has OIS??

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

To be fair you do see Samsung asking more for the Note than the regular Galaxy. I think we are getting fucked cause this is phablet pricing with that basically 6" screen.

Also to be fair nobody else was selling their phone near as cheap either. Maybe the margins just dictate the higher cost. YMMV
N5 has OIS??

Yes

Jigolo

Holy crap I did not know that. Damn wow.

I still think the $500 price point is a good price for the N6 (if the price turns out true)

And it would still be easier to find than a Z3 in the US.
Sony is the Nintendo of smart phones. They're still wrapping their heads around things that others figured out a while ago like Internet and account based systems and whatnot. Releasing phones in NA in a timely fashion is tough guys!

PaulLFC

Thinking of getting a microSD card for my Z3 soon but just wanted to check what I can actually store on the thing when it gets here to decide whether it's worth it. Here's what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong please:

Can be stored on external microSD card
- Local music and/or Google Play Music All Access offline stored songs/playlists
- Photos
- Videos
- Offline maps data

Must be stored on internal memory
- Apps

Anything obvious I'm missing or is incorrect there?

Edit: Also if anyone has recommendations for a microSD brand I'd appreciate it (I'm in the UK if that matters). Was originally thinking Sandisk but I've read a couple of reports that they aren't too reliable so looking a a Samsung one on Amazon at the moment, £25 for 64GB.

Talon

Thinking of getting a microSD card for my Z3 soon but just wanted to check what I can actually store on the thing when it gets here to decide whether it's worth it. Here's what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong please:

- Local music and/or Google Play Music All Access offline stored songs/playlists
- Photos
- Videos
- Offline maps data

- Apps

Edit: Also if anyone has recommendations for a microSD brand I'd appreciate it (I'm in the UK if that matters). Was originally thinking Sandisk but I've read a couple of reports that they aren't too reliable so looking a a Samsung one on Amazon at the moment, £25 for 64GB.
Samsung Evo.

PaulLFC

Samsung Evo.
Thanks, that was the one I was looking at it seems. Prime delivery is "3 business days" for some reason rather than tomorrow despite it being in stock, but I can wait. Still got quite a bit of space on the internal memory but got a 75% full warning today.

reKon

Banned

- Photos
- Videos
- Offline maps data

- Apps

You're correct. I've actually been fine with the 16 GB because of the ability to transfer all my Google play cache to the memory card (I did not know this before). I don't really play a lot of high end games on my phone as that would be reserved for my tablet.

If you don't feel the need to spend the money on the 64GB, at least get the 32GB. Micro SD are ridiculously cheap now a days. You can just wait for a big sale. On the US Amazon site there have been a ton of sales on those Samsung EVO Micro SD cards. I would stick with that brand some of the Sandisk branded cards (i.e. http://slickdeals.net/f/7186800-san...osdhc-sdhc-sdxc-ssd-flash-drives-up-to-60-off)

PaulLFC

You're correct. I've actually been fine with the 16 GB because of the ability to transfer all my Google play cache to the memory card (I did not know this before). I don't really play a lot of high end games on my phone as that would be reserved for my tablet.

If you don't feel the need to spend the money on the 64GB, at least get the 32GB. Micro SD are ridiculously cheap now a days. You can just wait for a big sale. On the US Amazon site there have been a ton of sales on those Samsung EVO Micro SD cards. I would stick with that brand some of the Sandisk branded cards (i.e. http://slickdeals.net/f/7186800-san...osdhc-sdhc-sdxc-ssd-flash-drives-up-to-60-off)
Thanks. Music will be my main use for the card so I figure I might as well go for the largest affordable capacity. 128GB seems quite expensive compared to the other capacities so 64GB seems like the sweet spot. Ordered a 64GB Samsung Evo off Amazon which should be here in a couple of days.

dc89

Hey Paul - I got the Z3 btw. So gooooood.
I found a random 16GB Micro SD card in my drawer the other day, just popped that in for now but I've not transferred any stuff across. But having read your posts - I think I'll get one of those Samsung Evo cards.

805, QHD, 3200mAH

makes sense. At least they are not charging $700 like Samsung, HTC, and LG for their flagships.

See below.

And people do... EVERY YEAR.

"There's no way Google can get (insert specs here) under XYZ price." And yet, they do.

Going as far back as the GNex, which when Google finally started selling it unlocked on the Play store, it was $400. Then, with the Nexus 4, people saw the glass and quad chipset, and they thought it would be $500 -- except it was $350 on the low end. Then the same happened with the N5: 1080p, bigger phone, OIS. There, the pricing remained largely the same: $400 for the low end 16gb, which matched the pricing of 16gb N4.

The same will likely happen with the N6. If it doesn't, it has nothing to do with the specs. Nothing.

Uh...£450 IS over $700.

That and LG's only charging $580-600 for the G3.

Currencies.

How do they work?
j1qDYRz.png

Cross-region pricing, how does it work?

Hint: you don't covert the currencies at face value. It never works that way.

As someone mentioned the N5 was £300 when it launched in the UK (nearly $490 at the time), yet it was $400 in the US.

There's literally zero chance of the N6 being priced at or above $600, let alone $700.

My guess is $450-500 at worst, since the low-end seems to be 32gb.

Also, Paul's tweet said under £450. There's a lot of room between £300 and £450.

NotBacon

How the hell is Verizon allowed to make VZW Messages the default messaging app on the homescreen for the newer phones? Does Google want nobody to know about Hangouts being the default these days??

Googly has the power to enforce some guidelines, but instead they let carriers trample all over flagships....

And people do... EVERY YEAR.

"There's no way Google can get (insert specs here) under XYZ price." And yet, they do.

Going as far back as the GNex, which when Google finally started selling it unlocked on the Play store, it was $400. Then, with the Nexus 4, people saw the glass and quad chipset, and they thought it would be $500 -- except it was $350 on the low end. Then the same happened with the N5: 1080p, bigger phone, OIS. There, the pricing remained largely the same: $400 for the low end 16gb, which matched the pricing of 16gb N4.

The same will likely happen with the N6. If it doesn't, it has nothing to do with the specs. Nothing.

GTFO with your logic and trends

Avixph

How the hell is Verizon allowed to make VZW Messages the default messaging app on the homescreen for the newer phones? Does Google want nobody to know about Hangouts being the default these days??

Googly has the power to enforce some guidelines, but instead they let carriers trample all over flagships....

GTFO with your logic and trends
Google doesn't care.

hitsugi

How else are people going to know what carrier you're using? Come on, guys..

...oh unless you have an iPhone then none of that matters and we'll leave you alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom