• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 year contract is up next month and am thinking about going andriod. Ive been using windows phone for the last 3 years or so and prior to that I used iPhones for 3-4 years. I'm interested in staying with windows phone but they aren't putting anything cool for ATT anytime soon.

What can I expect from the OS experience and what phone should I be looking at?

I'm currently using a Nokia 920 and am ok with going a bit bigger but don't want a phablet.

Your advice is appreciated. 😃

Nexus 5, Sony Z3, Motorola Moto X 2014, LG G3, Galaxy S5, HTC One M8

There's your list of the top dogs. Now get reading reviews and articles on them. You need to do it yourself bc everyone on this forum is going to tell you what's the best but they will all be different answers. Its all personal preference.

NotBacon

My 2 year contract is up next month and am thinking about going andriod. Ive been using windows phone for the last 3 years or so and prior to that I used iPhones for 3-4 years. I'm interested in staying with windows phone but they aren't putting anything cool for ATT anytime soon.

What can I expect from the OS experience and what phone should I be looking at?

I'm currently using a Nokia 920 and am ok with going a bit bigger but don't want a phablet.

Your advice is appreciated. 😃

Expect lots of options, but try not to get bogged down in all of it. Keep it simple and use the Google apps.

Moto X 2014 for the best smartphone experience hands down.

Sony Z3 or Z3C if the Moto X battery doesn't cut it for you.

kehs

Banned
Nexus 5, Sony Z3, Motorola Moto X 2014, LG G3, Galaxy S5, HTC One M8

There's your list of the top dogs. Now get reading reviews and articles on them. You need to do it yourself bc everyone on this forum is going to tell you what's the best but they will all be different answers. Its all personal preference.

Clearly no one can be critical of things they paid for.

sprinkles

I am looking to replace my very old Galaxy Nexus. As I want to go Nexus again, I was waiting for the next Google announcement. But all this talk about 5,9 screens made me wary: I really do not want a phone that big, my usage is limited to the most basic apps anyway and for everything else there is my Nexus 7. So maybe I'll get a Nexus 5 which will surely drop in price after the new phone reveal. Please?

PaulLFC

Is there a way to have notification sounds play though headphones when they're plugged in, while not at the same time blasting the sound out of the speakers for everyone to hear?

I'm surprised this isn't default behaviour, so I tried setting up a Tasker profile to do this when I plug in headphones:

- Set ringer to vibrate
- Set media volume to full
- Set notification volume to full

This doesn't seem to work though using LightFlow for the notifications. Setting "override silent and vibrate" in LightFlow just plays the notification through the speakers which is exactly what I don't want to happen. Disabling the overrides doesn't play any sound at all.

I've tried the different volume control settings in LightFlow (system controlled volume, fixed volume, LightFlow controlled volume, etc) but none of them seem to work.

Has anyone done this with Tasker or another app and could share how it's done?

Edit: Spelling.

Is there a way to have notification sounds play though headphones when they're blugged in, while not at the same time blasting the sound out of the speakers for everyone to hear?

I'm surprised this isn't default behaviour, so I tried setting up a Tasker profile to do this when I plug in headphones:

- Set ringer to vibrate
- Set media volume to full
- Set notification volume to full

This doesn't seem to work though using LightFlow for the notifications. Setting "override silent and vibrate" in LightFlow just plays the notification through the speakers which is exactly what I don't want to happen. Disabling the overrides doesn't play any sound at all.

I've tried the different volume control settings in LightFlow (system controlled volume, fixed volume, LightFlow controlled volume, etc) but none of them seem to work.

Has anyone done this with Tasker or another app and could share how it's done?
SoundAbout

First I was all in for the Note 4. Then the Xperia Z3v comes out. And now I found out about this Droid Turbo. Dammit, lol.
Droid Turbo looks to be what the Moto X should have been. I'm not sure if Verizon will add bloatware on top but it's most likely.
If battery life is your main concern, I really doubt Motorola is going to touch Sony in battery efficiency.
You never know. It's pretty hard to botch the battery life of a 3,900 mAh battery.
Clearly no one can be critical of things they paid for.
Lol

Ensirius

Holy mother of god the new Play Store is beautiful.

I can't even...

nexus2cee_hamburger_thumb_thumb.gif

SimleuqiR

I am looking to replace my very old Galaxy Nexus. As I want to go Nexus again, I was waiting for the next Google announcement. But all this talk about 5,9 screens made me wary: I really do not want a phone that big, my usage is limited to the most basic apps anyway and for everything else there is my Nexus 7. So maybe I'll get a Nexus 5 which will surely drop in price after the new phone reveal. Please?

We are all hoping that at the very least the Nexus 5 will stick around. But who knows? Google has never kept two Nexus phones available through the play store at once...or am I wrong?

Don't be shocked if the Nexus 5 is gone and the only way to get it is through a third party.

jesalr

For some reason, whenever I'm on my WiFi (only tested at home so far), Google Play Music thinks I'm not connected to the internet and won't let me stream anything.

reKon

Banned
The only cool animation thing I've seen is the side menu? This doesn't seem as significant as a change that we will see on the calendar and music apps.

Zeppu

Hmm, I should probably start updating my app to L.

Knowing Google thought it won't be worth the effort because they'll have completely overhauled the API by the time it'll be released.

Someone sell me a GSM Galaxy Nexus please.
Please.

Seriously? I gave mine away when I got the N5. Dat battery life. Dat speed.

kinggroin

Banned
Hmm, I should probably start updating my app to L.

Knowing Google thought it won't be worth the effort because they'll have completely overhauled the API by the time it'll be released.

Seriously? I gave mine away when I got the N5. Dat battery life. Dat speed.

Seriously. I will pay American freedom dollars for one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For some reason, whenever I'm on my WiFi (only tested at home so far), Google Play Music thinks I'm not connected to the internet and won't let me stream anything.

Had exactly this issue with Play Music when I was running the L preview. On KK everything works as it should.

Nicktendo86

So the new play store, along with some other l upgraded apps google have pit out in the past week, doesn't work on the l preview. Wtf google?

So the new play store, along with some other l upgraded apps google have pit out in the past week, doesn't work on the l preview. Wtf google?

I don't know why they didn't update the develeoper preview as they made changes. Seems kind of pointless for then to release it in the way they did when most things won't work in the final version.

Tits. Think I might downgrade to KK. Is there a way of rooting L without losing data? I'd like to do a titanium backup first

I have a similar issue on the L dev build, play music won't play any of the songs that I have on the cloud over Wi-Fi. Won't even download them, the progress bar just keeps on being stuck at zero percent :(

Another week to official L release so I don't think it's worth going back to KK now. Just wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom