• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so here goes nothing:
Does someone have a Oneplus one inivte for me? (64GB EU)

droid-turbo-red.jpg

Droid TURBO
oh my....kinda want. How have Moto's cameras been lately? Last one I played with was the Droid X lol.

munroe

Got my new Xperia Z3 compact yesterday, loving it so far. First time android user here (came from Windows Phone), so just getting to grips with the OS (and Sony's version)

Couple of questions if anyone can answer them:
-When a notification arrives, I'm used to having the notification activate the phone and show what the notification is without unlocking the phone. However, with this phone, the sound effect plays but I have to unlock the phone then check the notifications tab.

-Some amazon apps have come pre-installed, do I really need this or can I just disable them, are any of them any good or do I just stick with google apps? For example, the following amazon apps have been installed: Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Amazon Local, Amazon Music, AppStore and then also the Amazon AppTools.

-Does android come with a QR reader? With bing, it was a simple task of pressing the search button and then the 'vision' button.

Got my new Xperia Z3 compact yesterday, loving it so far. First time android user here (came from Windows Phone), so just getting to grips with the OS (and Sony's version)

Couple of questions if anyone can answer them:
-When a notification arrives, I'm used to having the notification activate the phone and show what the notification is without unlocking the phone. However, with this phone, the sound effect plays but I have to unlock the phone then check the notifications tab.

-Some amazon apps have come pre-installed, do I really need this or can I just disable them, are any of them any good or do I just stick with google apps? For example, the following amazon apps have been installed: Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Amazon Local, Amazon Music, AppStore and then also the Amazon AppTools.

-Does android come with a QR reader? With bing, it was a simple task of pressing the search button and then the 'vision' button.
I don't know if Sony phones are different but on my nexus 5 I didn't have to unlock to check notifications. You could swipe down the notification shade from the lockscreen.

munroe

I don't know if Sony phones are different but on my nexus 5 I didn't have to unlock to check notifications. You could swipe down the notification shade from the lockscreen.

Ah looks like that works, I can pull the notification tab down from the lock screen, now I just need it to, say, preview a text message when it arrives.

munroe

Anyone had problems with the BBC iplayer app. It's telling me that there's no internet connection when there definitely is. Tried it over Wi-Fi and 4G. I can stream content fine using the website version through the phone's web browser.

Thanks I'll have a look

I really got happy that the Z3v went to Verizon... then I read about how lacking some of the shit in it was compared to a normal Z3, and now with that picture and supposed specs of the Droid Turbo, I'd love to maybe go for that one instead (if I were to buy one full out).

I wouldn't want to deal with all the de-bloating I would have to do in order to get the Droid Turbo into a usable state. The Droid devices are literally swimming in Verizon bloatware, it's their claim to fame. They also won't sell as well and the community that mods their software will be small.

At least with the Note 4 I'm getting, the exact bloat you get is known and easily removable as Samsung Touchwiz devices are well understood and ROM hackers have been working on them for years and with many millions in the wild, the community that mods Samsungs is huge.

reKon

Banned
How does the Edge program at Verizon work? My sister said that she wanted to get the HTC One M8, but they told her that she could only upgrade to the LG G3...

Isn't the LG G3 the newer phone of the two?

So i just dropped my precious Nexus 4 and the screen is totally broken, :'( i'm so sad , i loved that phone.

I'm look ing at a new phone but i really have no clue where to start.. if i look at some of the specs the nexus 5 still seem to rival newly released phones?

Is it smart to buy the nexus 5 now? my guess it will drop price soon?
What is the smart phone to buy right now? Most bang for your buck? the Oneplus One?

So i just dropped my precious Nexus 4 and the screen is totally broken, :'( i'm so sad , i loved that phone.

I'm look ing at a new phone but i really have no clue where to start.. if i look at some of the specs the nexus 5 still seem to rival newly released phones?

What is the smart phone to buy right now? Most bang for your buck? the Oneplus One?
Sorry for your loss.

The new Nexus has a 5.9" display. If that is too big for you and still want something that's like stock android, try to get an invite for the One Plus which has a 5.5" display. If you want the quickest updates and a nice sized phone, look out for some deals on the Nexus 5 (preferably after the announce of the new Nexus) or get a moto x. If you're on Verizon, the new Droid is your best bet.

If you don't care about stock android (or something close to it) and the fastest updates, but you want a better camera and battery life, look at the Z3c, G2, Note 3.

One Plus One is the best deal out right now and the top performing phone.

Sorry for your loss.

The new Nexus has a 5.9" display. If that is too big for you and still want something that's like stock android, try to get an invite for the One Plus which has a 5.5" display. If you want the quickest updates and a nice sized phone, look out for some deals on the Nexus 5 (preferably after the announce of the new Nexus) or get a moto x. If you're on Verizon, the new Droid is your best bet.

If you don't care about stock android (or something close to it) and the fastest updates, but you want a better camera and battery life, look at the Z3c, G2, Note 3.

i think i'm going to try to get an invite for the oneplus, that phone looks insane for the price!

Thanks!

Poor Note 4 buyers are gonna have to suffer with those Touchwiz icons until they get a new phone. Atleast the Galaxy S6 Touchwiz should look updated since it will start out with L. I'm still trying to decide if I keep my OPO or go Nexus 6. Either way I'm getting the One Plus Two next year if it has a Snapdragon 810. 64 bit here we come.

Poor Note 4 buyers are gonna have to suffer with those Touchwiz icons until they get a new phone. Atleast the Galaxy S6 Touchwiz should look updated since it will start out with L. I'm still trying to decide if I keep my OPO or go Nexus 6. Either way I'm getting the One Plus Two next year if it has a Snapdragon 810. 64 bit here we come.

i use Nova and an icon pack anyway, but even if i didn't. i wouldn't mind suffering thru 17 hours of video playback...

real talk: that is RAZR MAXX levels. Droid Turbo is prolly gonna hit 110h!

Avixph

That's why I'm considering waiting for the Galaxy S6 and staying with my Galaxy S III a little while longer.

K guys I have $20 in play store credit that expires in 5 days. What's the absolute best apps that cost money. No games unless they're mindblowingly amazing.

reKon

Banned
hmm don't really use that but I could try it.

I was thinking Pocket Casts too though I don't know if I'll use that either :p
Sleep as Android will change your life. Use it for a week and see if you like it. After a week or so, it will offer you with an in app discount to buy for cheaper.

As for games if you haven't yet, buy both Kingdom Rush games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom