• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
K guys I have $20 in play store credit that expires in 5 days. What's the absolute best apps that cost money. No games unless they're mindblowingly amazing.

hmm don't really use that but I could try it.

I was thinking Pocket Casts too though I don't know if I'll use that either :p

Get Pocketcasts. You never know when you'll want it, and it is the best of breed.

I second getting Monument Valley. In my top 3 mobile experiences on Android.

longdi

Banned
playing with the Note4s, i got to admit, Samsung did tons better than i expected with the build. A simple metal frame adds so much structural stability and quality, why did they have to wait until now??

I found variances with the much hyped QHD AMOLED, i set the N4 to 'Basic' as recommended, the good ones looked really good, white is white, while colors still pops, naturally, its like good AMOLED and good LCD finally make babies. The bad ones... however have an obvious yellowish tint and ruins white balance and colors. Played with about 10 different sets today and i say the good/bad split is 50%.

And TouchWiz is gonna Touchwiz, so much apps installed and the loading of any apps takes an extra and noticeable split seconds compared to the other 2014 flagships...

I do think N4 is a good phone, its like Samsung have rediscovered what made S2 a hit.

Piano

Banned
Thinking of going out and getting a Moto X today to replace my ancient Galaxy Nexus. Two questions:

Is there any disadvantage to buying through Best Buy instead of Verizon?

Over/under on it getting rooted eventually? I'd like to be able to root.

I was waiting on the news about other phones but...Z3V is eh and the Droid Turbo looks ugly as sin.

Thinking of going out and getting a Moto X today to replace my ancient Galaxy Nexus. Two questions:

I was waiting on the news about other phones but...Z3V is eh and the Droid Turbo looks ugly as sin.
I'm pretty sure Motorola phones are root friendly so there shouldn't be any problems. Besides, Android L is right around the corner and Motorola will give out the update to Android L within that week at least. I agree about the Z3V. Damn logos all over the place. And the droid? Bleh.

teiresias

Google really needs to move the processing for the local Android voice commands onto the phone. Nothing is more annoying than to be driving and say "OK Google, Open Pocket Casts" or "Open Play Music" and have it sit there looking for internet connectivity for 30 seconds only to fail afterwards because I'm on the interstate in a bad coverage zone.

Obviously the voice stuff for searches that use Google search and the larger Google Now stuff can stay server side, but they REALLY need to fix the stuff that just controls local operation of the phone - I don't even think commanding the phone to make a voice call works without internet. My old pre-iPhone LG Chocolate bar phone could make a call via a voice command without a data connection for crying out loud.

Also, sending a text message via Hangouts using voice commands seems to ALWAYS send it using my phone's number rather than my Google Voice number even if I'm sending it someone I've been messaging via the app using my Google Voice number.

reKon

Banned
Battery Life Update:

So I've pretty much just run stamina mode all the time because for me it works out well and I don't need it on.Because of my job, I'm on the computer most of the day anyways so I don't need data enabled when the screen is off. Even with stamina mode off, I still get near the same amount of battery life though. I don't have the option check to reduce CPU performance to increase battery life because I want my shit smooth. I'm on 4G while using this 70% of the time and stream/play cached music from Google Music/Sound Cloud everyday while browsing sites like GAF, a lot of messaging on hangouts, a little bit of google maps, and streaming a couple of youtube videos. I'm never going to let battery life get below 25% anymore in order to keep it healthy. Usually after 2 days it will be around 40% so I've been charging it then.

This shit is the real deal:

94bAmXy.jpg

thmhCwD.jpg

Piano

Banned
you mean as in all its promises are up in the air?

Why does everyone shit on the Moto X here? Is there a better phone for Verizon I should be considering?

Also, are there any disadvantages to buying a phone through Best Buy vs Verizon?

Why does everyone shit on the Moto X here? Is there a better phone for Verizon I should be considering?

Also, are there any disadvantages to buying a phone through Best Buy vs Verizon?

Every phone not named Moto X

Other than so-so battery life, what's wrong with the Moto X?

There is a large group of posters on here that love to hate on it. Hence the sarcasm in my last post. Their beef is battery life and camera which are both perfectly average. Oh and they can't get over lack of SD card.

There is no better android phone on any carrier if software experience is your priority.

Edit: I have the 2013 still but two of my coworkers picked up the vzw 2014 Moto X and they are shocked how much better it is than their old Galaxy s4s.

Piano

Banned
Fuck it, Z3V is only two weeks away, I'll wait and see if it's worth considering.

Maybe they'll ditch that awful horrible unsightly Verizon logo on the front. Maybe it'll have good custom ROM support.

NotBacon

Fuck it, Z3V is only two weeks away, I'll wait and see if it's worth considering.

Maybe they'll ditch that awful horrible unsightly Verizon logo on the front. Maybe it'll have good custom ROM support.

Z3v is basically a Z2, which isn't necessarily bad though.

If all-day battery is good enough for you, and you're not a camera snob, grab the new Moto X. You'll thank me later. Nothing touches it in terms of enjoyment.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There is no better android phone on any carrier if software experience is your priority.

I'm sorry, but if we are discounting the camera, then the obvious choice is the HTC One M8. Great battery life, 32gb base with sd card slot, fantastic, lag free skin, and the best design of any phone released this year. Plus the screen is top tier, and along with best in class speakers it is a media consumption dream. I don't see how a moto x is better.

There is a large group of posters on here that love to hate on it. Hence the sarcasm in my last post. Their beef is battery life and camera which are both perfectly average. Oh and they can't get over lack of SD card.

Edit: I have the 2013 still but two of my coworkers picked up the vzw 2014 Moto X and they are shocked how much better it is than their old Galaxy s4s.

Note 4

Honestly, I'd kill for a Droid Turbo over my S4 right now.

reKon

Banned
Honestly, I'd kill for a Droid Turbo over my S4 right now.

If it's close to Moto X software it will probably be a good choice even with the amount of bloat you're going to get.

The Droid Turbo is going to have a battery nearly the size of the Nexus 7 (2013)....

Let that sink in for a second.

I'm sorry, but if we are discounting the camera, then the obvious choice is the HTC One M8. Great battery life, 32gb base with sd card slot, fantastic, lag free skin, and the best design of any phone released this year. Plus the screen is top tier, and along with best in class speakers it is a media consumption dream. I don't see how a moto x is better.
Its enhanced stock! Stock x!

Just kidding, I completely agree with your post.

Lolololilololololollolololollololololololol

You people still think skins are a good thing.

Touch Wiz and good software don't even belong in the same sentence.
For some people, skins are a good thing. I think it's time you accept that.

There is no obvious choice device when it comes to Android.

The only thing that is obvious is the fact that OLED displays are better than everything else.

kharma45

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not so sure about that. All I hear is about bugs on bugs on bugs.

There have been a few issues but no real deal breakers. It's a good value phone and for the price it's hard to beat, but it's far from perfect.

Mediocre camera, mine creaks around the USB port, some of the finish already rubbed off and from what I gather piss poor customer care, although that's not unique to them.

Talon

We will never agree on the best Android phone in this thread.

Faceless will die on the cross of SD cards 'til the end of his GAF account.
Pyro will die on the cross of one-hand usage.
Unknown will die on the cross of Samsung.

HTC One M8, One Plus One, S5 and Moto X are the best phones. They all have their compromises. How much are you willing to flash ROMs? If you're not willing to, just avoid the S5 entirely. How much local storage space do you really need? If you need a ton for media, then you have to ignore the Moto X. Does a good camera matter to you because you're taking more than a photo a day? Then you should really consider the S5.

Etc.

We will never agree on the best Android phone in this thread.

Faceless will die on the cross of SD cards 'til the end of his GAF account.
Pyro will die on the cross of one-hand usage.
Unknown will die on the cross of Samsung.
mine is the only reasonable one

Remember when every phone was reasonably sized and then phablets came along and had much better specs (for the most part) and were bigger in size. Soon devices 5 inches or smaller will be niche but people aren't treating that niche like they treated the phablet one. They're gimping it. Only based but also don't-know-how-to-run-a-phone-business-Sony is not gimping their smaller phone. And Apple of course.

SD cards on the other hand, get over it people :p I agree that the best phones released this year are the One Plus One and the Moto X.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Google really needs to move the processing for the local Android voice commands onto the phone. Nothing is more annoying than to be driving and say "OK Google, Open Pocket Casts" or "Open Play Music" and have it sit there looking for internet connectivity for 30 seconds only to fail afterwards because I'm on the interstate in a bad coverage zone.

Can't you make that available offline? There's definitely an option for something like that in the Now/Search settings.

mine is the only reasonable one

Remember when every phone was reasonably sized and then phablets came along and had much better specs (for the most part) and were bigger in size. Soon devices 5 inches or smaller will be niche but people aren't treating that niche like they treated the phablet one. They're gimping it. Only based but also don't-know-how-to-run-a-phone-business-Sony is not gimping their smaller phone. And Apple of course.

SD cards on the other hand, get over it people :p I agree that the best phones released this year are the One Plus One and the Moto X.
i use my Note 2 one handed. get a better hand.

What does this mean? As far as I can tell, it has the same internals as the Z3 with wireless charging and a slightly bigger battery.
the spec sheet is a mix of the Z2 and Z3.

longdi

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom