• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will never agree on the best Android phone in this thread.

Faceless will die on the cross of SD cards 'til the end of his GAF account.
Pyro will die on the cross of one-hand usage.
Unknown will die on the cross of Samsung.

HTC One M8, One Plus One, S5 and Moto X are the best phones. They all have their compromises. How much are you willing to flash ROMs? If you're not willing to, just avoid the S5 entirely. How much local storage space do you really need? If you need a ton for media, then you have to ignore the Moto X. Does a good camera matter to you because you're taking more than a photo a day? Then you should really consider the S5.

Etc.
Cmon Talon, how could you forget to add the Xperia Z3? The Z3 doesn't suffer the same problem the others do. The major con at the moment is the inability to unlock the bootloader without removing that Sony magic in the camera.

kehs

Banned
Help

dLMlD0O.jpg

The hell is google services doing keeping my phone awake all the tim .

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The only major problem the Z3 has is an actual Z3 (not this Z3V crap) is still coming soon to the west/t-mobile. Plus we have no news on the Z3C coming at all.

I think it's fairly easy to tout them as the best current offerings though.

kehs

Banned
The only major problem the Z3 has is an actual Z3 (not this Z3V crap) is still coming soon to the west/t-mobile. Plus we have no news on the Z3C coming at all.

I think it's fairly easy to tout them as the best current offerings though.

That and killing any enthusiasm you might have for the next version of android.

Drifters

So just installed CM11 on my Nexus 4 and it is insanely good. Wish I had done it sooner. Battery life is wayyyy better and the L theme ain't half bad either.
96nDM0A.jpg

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Can someone using either a g3 or a z3c tell me if the original kernel supports F2FS for the sd card?

Talon

Cmon Talon, how could you forget to add the Xperia Z3? The Z3 doesn't suffer the same problem the others do. The major con at the moment is the inability to unlock the bootloader without removing that Sony magic in the camera.

Z3 isn't even out in the US yet. Get back to me when even the T-Mobile version has a release date.

NotBacon

HTC One M8, One Plus One, S5 and Moto X are the best phones. They all have their compromises. How much are you willing to flash ROMs? If you're not willing to, just avoid the S5 entirely. How much local storage space do you really need? If you need a ton for media, then you have to ignore the Moto X. Does a good camera matter to you because you're taking more than a photo a day? Then you should really consider the S5.

Etc.

I'd watch out if I were you. Logic is frowned upon around these parts...

get a better hand.

Best advice in the thread so far

Etc.

99.9999999999999% of phone owners will never flash a ROM on their devices, including Samsung owners. But I don't want to die on the cross of stock Android, I've been using Touchwiz just fine for years now and it hasn't sterilized me or given me cancer. Maybe I'm just the lucky one and all the other 500 million or so owners of Samsung devices have been physically harmed by owning a Samsung.

NotBacon

99.9999999999999% of phone owners will never flash a ROM on their devices, including Samsung owners. But I don't want to die on the cross of stock Android, I've been using Touchwiz just fine for years now and it hasn't sterilized me or given me cancer. Maybe I'm just the lucky one and all the other 500 million or so owners of Samsung devices have been physically harmed by owning a Samsung.

*sigh*

You're just proving his point.

Edit: There are also millions of owners of budget Toshiba laptops. Do they serve a purpose? Yeah. Are they a good choice? Hell no. Do people keep on buying them because they're oblivious? Yep.

EmiPrime

I might have been tempted by the Moto 360 but Motorola are being ridiculously slow in making it available here and with a metal strap (don't want leather).

kehs

Banned
One huge thing that annoys me about the z3c is that from the lock screen you can't launch into google now.

Instead they have a camera icon, which is bizarre since the phone has a dedicated camera butto .

jesalr

Only just discovered that Newsstand isn't just magazines. Plus, it does offline downloading. That's brilliant.

Beautiful too.

Talon

That doesn't change the fact that the Z3 is one of best smartphones this year. Besides, you could import it and it still works the same...
Might as well throw the Nexus 6 in there even when it isn't announced!

HTC. Wat r u doing?
At HTC's Double Exposure event in New York we saw the launch of the Desire EYE, a smartphone with a serious focus on the camera. HTC has silently put a listing for the HTC One (M8 EYE) on their chinese web store. The HTC One (M8 EYE) is essentially the same as the HTC One (M8) that launched earlier this year, but with one major hardware difference. HTC's 4MP UltraPixel sensor has been replaced by Sony's 13MP IMX214, the same sensor used on the HTC Butterfly 2 and the HTC Desire EYE. Unlike the Desire EYE, the front-facing camera is still a 5MP sensor.

Based on the photos on the website, the HTC One (M8 EYE) also has the new HTC EYE Experience features like Face Fusion, HTC Split Capture, and advanced face tracking features for conferencing.

The fact that this is a fairly silent launch from HTC seems to suggest that this may be a device destined only for the Chinese market.
Anandtech

Drifters

Might as well throw the Nexus 6 in there even when it isn't announced!

HTC. Wat r u doing?

Anandtech
Yeah this is old news. Basically the M9 is going to be a 5.2" version sans HTC logo boom sounding 13MPixling goodness. This is essentially a soft launch to see how the Chinese like it.

sdijoseph

I think someone here or elsewhere on Neogaf mentioned the burn in on amoled screens. I hadn't noticed anything on my galaxy nexus until now, but I just noticed that the chrome browser bar and the android nav buttons are burnt very noticeably into the screen. I wonder when this happened, and if it would be a significant issue if I had upgraded after 2 years instead of 3.

Mindwipe

One huge thing that annoys me about the z3c is that from the lock screen you can't launch into google now.

Instead they have a camera icon, which is bizarre since the phone has a dedicated camera butto .

Yeah, that does feel a bit superfluous.

I really like my Z3C, but a quick list of things that I'd love to see fixed in software -

That bloody NFC logo can't be hidden.
I can't uninstall bloody Vine. Arrrghhh.
The contacts app needs a lot of work. It's ability to selectively link to Facebook or Skype accounts is completely missing, and it's just not very attractive.
The gapless playback bug in Google Play Music is very irritating.
As you say, two camera buttons is silly.
I'd really like a bit more control over the notification LED and haptics.
I'm certainly hoping Sony are going to do something to improve autofocus on the camera. It sucks compared to Apple's software using their sensors.

Groof

I'm certainly hoping Sony are going to do something to improve autofocus on the camera. It sucks compared to Apple's software using their sensors.
Apple use on sensor PDAF, the only other phone I know of which uses that being the Galaxy S5. Until more phones start using that they'll probably be unmatched in focusing speed.

terrier

guys, i am thinking about buying a powerbank, any recommendations on brands ? i want it as portable (and cheap) as possible but should be at least 3-4000mAh to guarantee 2 uses if needed without recharging it.
I've read a lot of bad things about these chargers so any advice is welcome :)

kehs

Banned

I really like my Z3C, but a quick list of things that I'd love to see fixed in software -

The contacts app needs a lot of work. It's ability to selectively link to Facebook or Skype accounts is completely missing, and it's just not very attractive.

Disable vine, it sucks you can't uninstall but it's a workaround.

Whats the playback bug in g music?

Every smartphone camera sucks compared to apple. Once L hits though, coupled with the the new google camera app. It's gonna be bananas.

uh....why is it more than import price. 😒

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think someone here or elsewhere on Neogaf mentioned the burn in on amoled screens. I hadn't noticed anything on my galaxy nexus until now, but I just noticed that the chrome browser bar and the android nav buttons are burnt very noticeably into the screen. I wonder when this happened, and if it would be a significant issue if I had upgraded after 2 years instead of 3.

Oh yeah, I started noticing burnt-in notification and navigation bars after like a few months of owning my GNex. Sure was annoying, but I guess I got over it. But I'm happy to have an N5 with an LCD screen now, which doesn't have this issue. The only downside is that the blacks aren't as deep.

munroe

Had my Z3c since last week and really liking it. Not sure about some of your qualms, though maybe I've just not encountered them yet. For example:

-Nfc logo. Do you mean the really tiny symbol on the back of the phone? Because if so personally thats so small and on the back that it doesn't matter in the slightest.

-Contacts, are you wanting it to not actively select contacts from Facebook and Skype?

-Two camera buttons, do you mean the on screen Button and the physical one, don't mind it.

-Vine, not got that installed in the first place so doesn't concern myself.

kharma45

Had my Z3c since last week and really liking it. Not sure about some of your qualms, though maybe I've just not encountered them yet. For example:

-Nfc logo. Do you mean the really tiny symbol on the back of the phone? Because if so personally thats so small and on the back that it doesn't matter in the slightest.

It appears in the status bar.

Disable vine, it sucks you can't uninstall but it's a workaround.

Whats the playback bug in g music?

Every smartphone camera sucks compared to apple. Once L hits though, coupled with the the new google camera app. It's gonna be bananas.

uh....why is it more than import price. 😒
The Z3, S5, and the Lumia all have comparable cameras in my opinion. I agree with the last statement, Android L will enable some great things.

As for the Z3c price, I'm not sure why it's that much. Keep in mind that if you use the education discount, the price will be $477. Not bad at all.

OT: What happened to your avatar? It was pretty cool. Or are you going to use a badass Android L themed avatar?
Here's your chance dudes - put up or shut up
I'm waiting for the Z3 price and the release of Android L. I still like the Moto X so I will give Motorola a chance to redeem itself.

reKon

Banned
The Z3, S5, and the Lumia all have comparable cameras in my opinion. I agree with the last statement, Android L will enable some great things.

As for the Z3c price, I'm not sure why it's that much. Keep in mind that if you use the education discount, the price will be $477. Not bad at all.

OT: What happened to your avatar? It was pretty cool. Or are you going to use a badass Android L themed avatar?

I'm waiting for the Z3 price and the release of Android L. I still like the Moto X so I will give Motorola a chance to redeem itself.

Didn't know there was an education discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom